• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro Exodus Benchmark Performance, RTX & DLSS

TPU. Please fix ur benchmarks. First Anthem and now this...how is guru3d getting 20fps lower at 4k than yours ???
It is getting harder and harder to link people to their benchmarks as they seem to never line up with all the other sites. for example no other review of the Radeon 7 had it losing to the Nvidia cards like it did on here.

Nkd

man dlss is a let down. Shit is so blurry. That is what I was afraid off. Running good old resolution with DLSS off. I think nvidia should just dedicate all the other tensor cores to Ray tracing to boost performance and let go of the dlss stuff.

About the whole "you can't use DLSS with RT" debacle, at least you have a choice to either have accurate lighting & shadows with horri-bad image quality + low fps OR RTX Off with DLSS to have a good balance of ok image quality & high fps count. Still, DLSS isn't ready like RTX, so it's clear that we all know RTX alone does the job fantastically. I bet DLSS tech will be taken a little more seriously from game devs coz both of them need to "learn" since I feel that the complexity of deep learning tech isn't taken seriously & treated like some gimmick tech (which it's not when put to good use).

Are you really blaming the developers here? Nvidia is supposed to do the heavy lifting on DLSS. Lets blame Nvidia for wasting stupid die space on DLSS, I would have easily accepted they use the entire tensor cores to do Rtx only or add more cuda cores to give performance increase without having to deal with dlss.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Damn, ray traced lighting is such a better use of the tech than the reflections in BFV. The game looks great, only issue being that it should have a couple more bounces for interiors as these look darker than they should now.

DLSS is a joke as expected. No idea why tech sites/youtubers keep bringing it up as a "feature" when doing GPU reviews.

VRAM not in play at 1080..... look at TPUs test results for the 3 GB versus 6GB model. The 6GB gets about 6% better numbers, but we also see that that the VRAM is not the reason. The 6 GB varies by more than the VRAM, it has 11% more shaders. So how do we know it's not the VRAM ? If it was a contributing factor at 1080p, then it would necessarily be a significantly large factor with a larger performance difference at 1440p. It's not. There may come a day when more VRAM is needed at 1080p but, given those test results, that day has not yet arrived.
I'm sorry but 3GB is not sufficient for even 1080P with high textures. Metro games were always frugal with VRAM (and looked great despite it). The 1060 3GB is a disgrace of a card and so its the upcoming 1660 Ti 3GB. People that buy these cards deserved to get burned in newer games. ~

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
If @RCoon would review it it would be trustworthy. His reviews are never afraid to show negatives or to pronounce a game as not good.
I'm at the mercy of Terminals.io

As you can tell by the barren game reviews lately they've not been giving me much. Early year means all games come out on the same week forcing me to choose one out of five.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Well that's the thing. And the reason why photo editors used IPS screens. Look at a photo of grandma on ya screen after she used her "Glamor Shots " Gift Card and she looks great on the IPS screen ... look at the same pic on TN and she looks like a old hooker with overdone lipstick and rouge :) Much akin to popular digital music with exaggerated bass and trebel to make them sound better of the $15 sound systems on phones, Budget MoBos and boom boxes ... played in a hi end audiophile system, they and people are almost runing outta the room holding their ears. It's "uncomfortable to say the least". So it's not just that devs have to adjust how they render images to use the ray tracing as a feature, they have to rethink the artificial adjustments that they have been using over the years to make scenes look better ... because the scene was not rendering properly with regard to lighting effects, that scene would be overly bright. Now by only allowing light effects to be painted from transparaent surfaces, much of the light coming in that scene is now blocked by opaque surfaces. It really shows further down in thet shed scene ... but I like what the review did there showing the pimples along with the clear skin. With accurate lighting effects it's ging to matter where and how big your light sources are and faking it to get desired lighting levels won't work anymore.
Adjusting to the new lighting model isn't probably that hard. The problem is everybody has to still support rasterization, so they have to make both look good at the same time. Not impossible, but not as straightforward as it could be.
It's because DLSS is a complete failure. Every single review I looked at say the same thing. A little boost in performance at a cost of Picture Quality. I'll take the Picture Quality myself, then again I'll take both, which is why I use a Radeon :D
I'm sure you run nothing but SSAA, because you'll take picture quality :wtf:

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
GameGPU also tested the game:
https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/metro-exodus-test-gpu-cpu

The test sequence:

man the russians know how to test a damn game. Never seen such a detailed test, impressive
thanks for the link

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
DLSS is a joke as expected. No idea why tech sites/youtubers keep bringing it up as a "feature" when doing GPU reviews.

it can be useful... for people who prefer high FPS over some blurriness. There are these kids who boast about 144Hz and never going back to "abysmal" 60Hz. Well, DLSS is for them. And clearly, monitor industry is catering to them as well, so I can understand the business perspective behind DLSS.

Lets not forget about people who turn everything down just to get 240Hz on their silly 24" monitor.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Nvidia cards don't care whether you use DX11 or DX12 (except for RTX/DLSS). AMD cards need to use DX12.

it can be useful... for people who prefer high FPS over some blurriness. There are these kids who boast about 144Hz and never going back to "abysmal" 60Hz. Well, DLSS is for them. And clearly, monitor industry is catering to them as well, so I can understand the business perspective behind DLSS.
No it isn't. This is for people who prefer higher resolution than their GPU can run. You can see from FPS graphs that 144 FPS is out of the question even (or especially) with DLSS.
I think upscaling is cancer but consoles have been doing it for most of the generation and DLSS compares well with other methods. Marketing around DLSS is stupid but the idea is sound.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I think upscaling is cancer but consoles have been doing it for most of the generation and DLSS compares well with other methods. Marketing around DLSS is stupid but the idea is sound.

Look what Ars says about it:
To be more precise: at its best, Metro Exodus' DLSS 4K mode looks sharper and cleaner than those PS4 Pro games, while in motion, it's easy to spot once-a-minute grainy artifacts when Nvidia's tech tries to keep up with fast action and motion-blur effects.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ayer-game-to-usher-in-the-pc-ray-tracing-era/

At the end of the day, the whole computer graphics is based upon simulating the real deal and cheating as much as possible, as long as the eye won't easily tell the difference ;)

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Spider-Man and God of War are the absolute pinnacle of checkerboarding (and PS4 Pro is claimed to have hardware support for it).

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Spider-Man and God of War are the absolute pinnacle of checkerboarding (and PS4 Pro is claimed to have hardware support for it).
I wouldn't know about that, I don't have a console.
But it's the first review I've come across to talk about DLSS during actual game play. Granted, Metro titles have always had awesome graphics, but it seems DLSS can work rather nicely.
Also, i"m not sure who does the actual DLSS training. If it's Nvidia, we can expect some level of consistency between titles. If it's up to individual developers, then we can expect some devs will try to get away with less optimization, by forcing DLSS into reducing more details.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Hm! Very much as I expected. Completely lackluster DLSS and RTX features and a fantastic game. Looks like I'm set with rasterization for the coming few years. I see absolutely no advantage in this RTX implementation. Scenes are wáy too dark and others look like they lack ambient occlusion. The outdoor scenes are also not great to look at, it feels like Fallout 4, too much color saturation etc and everything is blue tinted.

One thing is clear, RTX completely screws up the color balance/realism of the scene compared to the RTX-off comparisons... As we've already been able to gather from the previews of indoor locations, as well. It looks like the fake HDR on Reshade, except now you get four times the performance hit. Well played :D If I want the 'extra immersion' from darkened scenes, I'll drop my gamma curve a bit.. same effect, 0% perf cost.

And then DLSS... wow. Nice way to lose all definition so you can live with the illusion of playing on a high res. Its a blurfest, I'll take TAA over this junk any day. That is, if you even have the choice and are in the lucky 'Yes' box, for that *exact* game, on that *exact* res, with that *exact* GPU. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't such a sad attempt to add value to a terrible GPU gen..

Last edited:
day one patch
PC Specific Updates:

• Tuned HDR saturation
  • RTX Improvements / Bug Fixing
  • Added DLSS Support
  • Additional HUD removal options (coming soon to console) when playing in Ranger Mode
  • Added Motion Blur options (coming soon to console)

Additional PC Fixes Since Review Code Was Sent:
  • Fixed Locking of player input after scene of rescuing Yermak
  • Removed v-sync option from benchmark launcher
  • Tuning and fixes for Atmos audio system
  • Fixed memory corruption in DX12
  • Fixed crash on launching game on old AMD CPUs
  • Fixed crash after changing of resolution and Shading Rate to 4k/4x on Video cards with 2Gb and less
  • Fixed blurred UI when DLSS is enabled
  • Fixed visual artifacts for RTX high mode
  • Fixed input lock in when patching gas mask during combat
  • Fixed forcing to V-Sync on after alt-tabbing the game running at maximal available resolution for the monitor
  • Fixed crash when pressing ALT + Tab during start videos
  • Fixed forcing of V-SYNC mode if the game resolution is different than the desktop
  • DLSS can be applied in the Benchmark
  • Tuned DLSS sharpness to improve image quality
  • Updated learned data for DLSS to improve image quality with DLSS on

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Fixed blurred UI when DLSS is enabled
That's an important one for DLSS users

Fixed forcing to V-Sync on after alt-tabbing the game running at maximal available resolution for the monitor
Most important one for me, it was so annoying having to restart the game all the time

Tuned DLSS sharpness to improve image quality
Updated learned data for DLSS to improve image quality with DLSS on
Interesting, we'll see how that turns out

System Name Master & Blaster & BlastFromThePast
Processor Xeon 1241v3 *103x39 | Xeon L5408 @3.2GHz | P4 2.8 GHz
Motherboard Z97 PRO-GAMER / P45-DS3R | P4MDPT
Cooling Freezer / S775 Copper / S478 Stock
Memory 16GB DDR3-2270 / 8 GB DDR2-800 / 2GB DDR PC3200
Video Card(s) Nitro RX570 8GB 1411 MHz| HD 5770 | Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB
Storage NVME 250+1TB SM2263XT | 256 GB SM2259XT | IDE 250GB
Display(s) MANY
Case SANDBLASTED
Power Supply APS-550 Cap-Modded / 350W Cap-modded
Hairworks have a huge performance impact on AMD GPU's, with that disabled they are on par with similar Nvidia GPUS. (1060 vs RX 580)

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Nvidia is getting some serious flack even from so called Nvidia fanboys about how terrible the picture quality is when enabling that feature called DLSS. They go as far as to claim the RTX series is the worst GPU series launch in a long time. Playing a game like METRO Exodus must be played with the upmost highest of Picture Quality. I am sure my Radeon RX 580 will do the trick well enough. :D

These were also posted on Reddit and forwarded to Nvidia tech support I believe. lol

Here is more proof DLSS makes the image look washed out, despite upping the Picture Quality settings to Maximum. There is something seriously wrong with this so called enhancement. Live on YOUTUBE.
DLSS Problems

Attachments

• DLSS sucks 2.jpg
    DLSS sucks 2.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 585
  • DLSS sucks.jpg
    DLSS sucks.jpg
    895.6 KB · Views: 572
  • DLSS sucks 3.jpg
    DLSS sucks 3.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
TPU. Please fix ur benchmarks. First Anthem and now this...how is guru3d getting 20fps lower at 4k than yours ???

I guess different areas of the game tax different bits of the GPU differently or something. I'm just confused that TPU has the 3GB 1060 beating 580 when Guru3D has it a hair off the 1070.

Bcz TPU is testing the actual game while guru3d is stuck on demo benchmark. Gamer's Nexus just released a video about metro exodus and he got similiar result as TPU.

MaZz7

When RX 580 8GB lost to 1060 3GB, you know who really sponsored this game, they Nerf the game so mush that the red team will really f*^%&d up :) Nvidia at it's best

When RX 580 8GB lost to 1060 3GB, you know who really sponsored this game, they Nerf the game so mush that the red team will really f*^%&d up :) Nvidia at it's best

Hahaha,nice joke. I didn't see you complaining when rx 570 4gb beat gtx 1060 6gb in Resident Evil 2(an AMD sponsored and heavily AMD gimped game). They nerfed the game so much that green team really f*^%&d up. But i didn't see any nvidia fan crying back then, but whenever nvidia does this, AMD fanboys start rebelion with their pitchfork.
1080p.png

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Hahaha,nice joke. I didn't see you complaining when rx 570 4gb beat gtx 1060 6gb in Resident Evil 2(an AMD sponsored and heavily AMD gimped game). They nerfed the game so much that green team really f*^%&d up. But i didn't see any nvidia fan crying back then, but whenever nvidia does this, AMD fanboys start rebelion with their pitchfork.

Fan logic from AMD side, what else do you expect?

Also I wonder what the fans gonna say when AMD and maybe Intel start implementing similar AI accelerated AA through DirectML. Will there be similar level of crying from the fanboys again then?

Source:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...tive-with-radeon-vii-though-directml-api.html
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-vii-excellent-result-directml/

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Critics review is meaningless. Only players reviews count. Since you cant usually bribe players. Same for Rotten Tomatoes.

So, uh, how valuable are those user scores right now?

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I'm sorry but 3GB is not sufficient for even 1080P with high textures. Metro games were always frugal with VRAM (and looked great despite it). The 1060 3GB is a disgrace of a card and so its the upcoming 1660 Ti 3GB. People that buy these cards deserved to get burned in newer games. ~

huh? From what I've seen the GTX1060 3Gb is able to run most games at very good settings at 1080p including Metro Exodus. The upcoming 1660 Ti 3GB should be even better at 1080p. Those cards fit a specific price point and customer. Frankly I would rather have a faster GPU with less ram then a slower GPU with more RAM then it can handle (hello AMD 570 8GB card). Now I would argue the GTX1060 3GB is over priced and needs to be between the AMD 570 and AMD 580 4GB in price but I would also say most of Nvidia's cards are over priced to AMD's offerings.

Obviously the GTX 1060 6GB and GTX 1660 Ti 6GB are/will be better cards then the 3GB name sake but people won't always want to spend that money if they don't have the need or desire for that hardware.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
huh? From what I've seen the GTX1060 3Gb is able to run most games at very good settings at 1080p including Metro Exodus. The upcoming 1660 Ti 3GB should be even better at 1080p. Those cards fit a specific price point and customer. Frankly I would rather have a faster GPU with less ram then a slower GPU with more RAM then it can handle (hello AMD 570 8GB card). Now I would argue the GTX1060 3GB is over priced and needs to be between the AMD 570 and AMD 580 4GB in price but I would also say most of Nvidia's cards are over priced to AMD's offerings.

Obviously the GTX 1060 6GB and GTX 1660 Ti 6GB are/will be better cards then the 3GB name sake but people won't always want to spend that money if they don't have the need or desire for that hardware.
I wonder if anyone remembers the days when fewer memory meant lower latency memory and could result in faster cards ;)
Also, when you buy a $150 video card and expect to max out the latest AAA titles, the problem is not the video card.