• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon VII Retested With Latest Drivers

Low quality post by xkm1948
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I suggest you relax a bit xkm1948 as you have been writing constant provocative posts for hours in this thread. And I think that might end bad for you. A simple advice. I understand your pain or anger for your FuryX not being what you wanted to be but this attitute in an AMD thread towards anyone liking their products is doing harm for sure. And you use to do that a lot for months now in any AMD GPU related thread. Don't take it as a personal attack, just pointing out that it is a dangerous path for a TPU forum member the one you follow lately.

Suggesting people to buy and test themselves is provactive? Since when I can no longer participae in discussions? They say what they wanted to say, i suggest they use their own purchase to backup their claim and that is wrong? Are you trying to censor postings now?

Low quality post by EarthDog
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I suggest you relax a bit xkm1948 as you have been writing constant provocative posts for hours in this thread. And I think that might end bad for you. A simple advice. I understand your pain or anger for your FuryX not being what you wanted to be but this attitute in an AMD thread towards anyone liking their products is doing harm for sure. And you use to do that a lot for months now in any AMD GPU related thread. Don't take it as a personal attack, just pointing out that it is a dangerous path for a TPU forum member the one you follow lately.
The ignore list is brand loyalty agnostic... :)

Really, there are some pretty scary opinions on both sides of the fence here that need reigned in or just straight kicked out. If my ignore list his 15 (and lord knows we are close!), I'm just walking from this fookn forum.

Low quality post by Vayra86
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Suggesting people to buy and test themselves is provactive? Since when I can no longer participae in discussions? They say what they wanted to say, i suggest they use their own purchase to backup their claim and that is wrong? Are you trying to censor postings now?

Well I have to agree it does all sound a bit baity and it doesn't help the overall quality of topics. That is at least what I associate this with. Its not like you are genuinely interested in the answers. Consider it feedback...

Low quality post by notb
Please explain the 55 cents, I'm intrigued :D
Well, the calculation was very long - I don't want to bore anyone with the details...
But a few variables cancelled and I got this in the end:
exp(2*ln("current year" - 2009) + "which planet from Sun you're on") = exp(2*ln(10)+3)
that's the way you calculate how much a GPU should cost, right?

And it may actually explain @Super XP 's results, because, judging by his comments, he's clearly from a different time or planet...

Low quality post by xkm1948
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Well I have to agree it does all sound a bit baity and it doesn't help the overall quality of topics. That is at least what I associate this with. Its not like you are genuinely interested in the answers. Consider it feedback...

Dude I am ALL for scientific methods. I am a molecular genetist. You make a hypothesis and you back it up with experimental setup and results. Anyone can go around all day and fart claims out lf thin air. But to make solid claims one has to get their hands dirty and get to do the experiments: FineWine as one of many examples.

Low quality post by Vayra86
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Dude I am ALL for scientific methods. I am a molecular genetist. You make a hypothesis and you back it up with experimental setup and results. Anyone can go around all day and fart claims out lf thin air. But to make solid claims one has to get their hands dirty and get to do the experiments: FineWine as one of many examples.

The point is, those examples exist and we already know what's up. Stop beating the dead horse...

Low quality post by EarthDog
Low quality post by notb
Well why not try a new occupation at AMD and contribute in making their gpus better instead talking how shait their hardware is.
You do understand that molecular biology and semiconductor engineering are 2 different things, right?
But man... wouldn't it be nice if AMD finally employed (or at least cooperated with) people that represent the "pro" client segment.
Nvidia is *so active* in promoting and supporting GPGPU and it clearly didn't hurt their products...

When looking at recent AMD products and how they try to be attractive to content creators, it does remind me of how open-source software for photographers looks.
Software people are like: "we gave you all these fantastic features! Why are you still using that dreaded, expensive Photoshop?!"
And AMD is like: "we gave you all this fantastic cores and we crush Intel in benchmarks! Why are you still using that awful, expensive i7?!"

Sorry, you will need to get in line behind the dude from Adored who nearly lost his gag reflex trying to get a job at AMD. :p
Man... I'm actually thinking about applying for a job at Nvidia. I wonder if I'd still be able to take part in all these lovely flames if they choose me... :/

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
@W1zzard
Thanks a lot for the effort to retest. :toast:
Me as Radeon VII owner was not expecting any large performance increase between 19.2.1 and 19.2.2. The time frame I believe is too short between the two.
It did though manage to fix few issues with Wattman and overclocking.

What I personally noticed is that Black Ops 4 is running better. With 19.2.1 on my PC the frame was changing very fast between 70 FPS and 120FPS by every movement in game. The GPU clock was having lot of dips. With new drive it is mostly varying above 100FPS staying close to 120FPS and GPU clock is relatively stable. I have BenQ Zowie XL2730 FreeSync 144Hz monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Since you are fond of numbers that prove things scientifically, here is an example that proves that AMD GPUs aren't shown in their best form at their launch and this helps us customers to get an equal or better product in better price than will deserve in a few months only. And for a customer that keeps his hardware at least for 3 years, this is an opportunity.

Nkd

I'm simply stating facts. I would wish that AMD GPU's were able to compete.. All their "high-end" solutions have been terrible recently. Leaving this segment for Nvidia.

Not sure what you mean. Does this card not compete at all? AMD needed CPUs to survive so they focused on that. Or you would have no AMD and Radeon graphics. Now CPU side is going good they will eventually get to the GPU side. Given their need to survive as company I am not sure how this is so bad. They somehow managed to stay relevant which in its own is good enough while starting to give intel some serious competition on CPU side. AMD did what they had to and thought long term. If they invested more in GPU side they might not be in business right now because CPU side is where they are going to survive as a company. Its not a matter of if, its just when. I think in next few years will have their Zen of GPUs too.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
well i am glad i forked out for a 2080ti.. at least i dont have to worry about the rest..

i follow all this stuff because it interests me.. but its all being spoiled by to much negativity.. too much entitlement infringement.. too much silly red green bickering..
huge lengthy threads about f-ck all...

trog

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Since you are fond of numbers that prove things scientifically, here is an example that proves that AMD GPUs aren't shown in their best form at their launch and this helps us customers to get an equal or better product in better price than will deserve in a few months only. And for a customer that keeps his hardware at least for 3 years, this is an opportunity.

This is exactly my point. For people who don’t believe in W1zzard’s review, go get a Radeon 7. Test it along the life span of the GPU and report back how it ages.

Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
This is exactly my point. For people who don’t believe in W1zzard’s review, go get a Radeon 7. Test it along the life span of the GPU and report back how it ages.

W1zzard’s reviews are of top quality and i dont doubt his ability but he is one, most people dont have the expertice nor the equipment to test hardware thus they realy on reviews and you dont make an educated decision based on one review.

Low quality post by siluro818
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6700XT Gaming OC (2.80Ghz core / 2.15Ghz mem)
Storage Corsair MP510 NVMe 960GB; Samsung 850 Evo 250GB; Samsung 860 Evo 500GB;
Display(s) Dell S2721DGFA; Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M
I huv the money for a top of the line peformer. U mad cause i can afford something good? lol

Also i am not your bro, kiddo
Oh nobody's arguing that you have the money, clearly lacking in every other area though ;)

The point is, those examples exist and we already know what's up. Stop beating the dead horse...
While I'm not a huge fan of the argument quality we've seen here, I do share @xkm1948 's enthusiasm for a more scientific approach (as shown earlier).
I mean: we've been hearing about FineWine for years and it doesn't look like this could ever stop. There are, as you said "examples" or "traces" that something could be going on, but that's a bit like a proof of existence of ether or gods - we've seen some weird stuff going on, so let's assume there's a reason and let's give it a catchy name.

We had a nice discussion about quality of journalism in another topic. Seriously, wouldn't you like to see a proper experiment for this theory?
It's not that hard either. You take a few cards from different generations, 20-30 driver editions released over 5 years, a few AAA games and you measure all data points.
Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of people on thousands of forums talking about a phenomenon that no one has ever confirmed in a controlled environment. And it's been going for years. And it will keep going for as long as AMD will be making GPUs.

Why hasn't any of the large tech sites done this? Are they afraid of the result and angry mob from either side?
Why hasn't AMD done this?

Low quality post by siluro818
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6700XT Gaming OC (2.80Ghz core / 2.15Ghz mem)
Storage Corsair MP510 NVMe 960GB; Samsung 850 Evo 250GB; Samsung 860 Evo 500GB;
Display(s) Dell S2721DGFA; Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M
Wait, wait, wait: "I am a molecular genetist."

*nondescript snorting sounds*

Oh god that was just... Try to put together some molecules for that blood pressure, mate.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
While I'm not a huge fan of the argument quality we've seen here, I do share @xkm1948 's enthusiasm for a more scientific approach (as shown earlier).
I mean: we've been hearing about FineWine for years and it doesn't look like this could ever stop. There are, as you said "examples" or "traces" that something could be going on, but that's a bit like a proof of existence of ether or gods - we've seen some weird stuff going on, so let's assume there's a reason and let's give it a catchy name.

We had a nice discussion about quality of journalism in another topic. Seriously, wouldn't you like to see a proper experiment for this theory?
It's not that hard either. You take a few cards from different generations, 20-30 driver editions released over 5 years, a few AAA games and you measure all data points.
Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of people on thousands of forums talking about a phenomenon that no one has ever confirmed in a controlled environment. And it's been going for years. And it will keep going for as long as AMD will be making GPUs.

Why hasn't any of the large tech sites done this? Are they afraid of the result and angry mob from either side?
Why hasn't AMD done this?

HardOCP did. They found Nvidia does not gimp their cards and AMD does not FineWine either

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Warning and reply bans issued. No more personal attacks. Play nice or move along.

HardOCP did. They found Nvidia does not gimp their cards and AMD does not FineWine either
OK, I've just checked it. Not enough data points, wrong presentation. But otherwise the right direction. Thanks.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
OK, I've just checked it. Not enough data points, wrong presentation. But otherwise the right direction. Thanks.
Wrong attitude I'd say. You're looking for someone to disprove by the book something that has only anecdotally been proven.

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
If I may, a suggestion for benchmarks going forward: have a small icon next to the game titles, indicating if they are nVidia or AMD sponsored.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Long term performance, people dont usually keep their cards long enough to see the impact. With the progression rate most modern GPUs have usful gaming performance life span for 3~4 years. By the time FineWine is ready the GPU is already obsolete.

Reactions: bug
Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
If I may, a suggestion for benchmarks going forward: have a small icon next to the game titles, indicating if they are nVidia or AMD sponsored.

That's a decent idea, or instead of the icon you can just add text next to the game title nVidia or AMD sponsored

The improvements offered by these updated drivers are on par with NVidia's same efforts for RTX and seem to show that with proper optimizations Radeon 7 is going to be a great card for a ton of usage scenario's.