• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's your latest tech purchase?

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
The numbers however Windows is messed up, are still scary to me, since you loose nearly 1Tb of space just due to formatting and Windows.. That's massively pants!!

D

Deleted member 178884

I'm in amazement that you buy a 10Tb drive, and you get just over 9Tb formatted... Wow that is scary....
Well that toshiba x300 in there get's 5.45tb formated, it sure sucks to lose storage from the amount advertised, but the main thing is it was dirt cheap and awesome, I'm very impressed that it outperforms my x300 6tb in crystaldiskmark (1st read/write) considering it's a 5400rpm drive vs a 7200rpm one and it's about the cheapest 10tb you can get here, also it's a helium drive in there apparently very pleased with it

Last edited by a moderator:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I'm not so looking forward to be buying 12Tb drives at some point and finding out I get 10.6Tb or something to that effect.. Wonder if the drive companies might actually change how they advertise the size. Why not do it so that it's over the 12Tb mark rather than under it?? Confuses me.. (Which addmittely, doesn't take much these days :laugh:)

System Name Not an Intel Piece of Shite
Processor Superior AMD Glorious Master Race 2700SEX
Motherboard Glorious low cost Awesome Motherboard 4
Cooling A piece of metal that cools the amazing Ryzen CPU
Memory SAMMY BEEE DAI BABEH
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Case It's red because AMD = red and AMD = awesome
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Benchmark Scores Higher than Intel shite
IMG_20190315_082936.jpg

IMG_20190315_083026.jpg

Next to my Trusty Sapphire RX 570 8G Pulse:

IMG_20190315_084237.jpg
The card feels solid, has a back-plate too. It was £199.98, so it's one of the budget models but I feel this is great perf/£ for 1080p gaming, but more importantly; folding :) According to HWU; it's up to 42% faster in Metro Exodus, too. So that's a bonus considering that's the most graphically demanding game I'm playing right now. :)

Time for a quick Firestrike run I think

Edit: Here are the numbers;

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/34547581?

Pretty nice result in 3D for 100-110W~

Interestingly, my RX 570 isn't that much slower:

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18705813 for 120-130W.

MAX OC on the 570 a bit faster; https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18226249 (140-150W).

GCN cards do quite well in Firestrike these days, Radeon VII can beat 2080 here, and come fairly close to stock 2080 Ti scores. Of course, we don't all play firestrike;)

Edit2: Here's the comparison, stock vs stock https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18705813/fs/18729084

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Looks good there @AmioriK :) Hope it helps you out with the Folding ;) Any reason why you went with the Gigabyte model? :)

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Looks good there @AmioriK :) Hope it helps you out with the Folding ;) Any reason why you went with the Gigabyte model? :)
Was the cheapest model on Ebuyer, who do next day delivery after 6pm;) Don't wanna wait till Monday to start folding :D

Figured it didn't really matter, as I won't be overclocking it. It's pretty decent though. I did drop 6*c off the GPU temp while folding, by taking my case side panel off. So I think I'll leave it off now, it's running at 60*c at 1920mhz, 90% fan speed (2600rpm) and doing 550-570k ppd at 95-100W according to software readings. The fan isn't too loud, but it is quite warm in my room, must be over 21c ambient:/

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Was the cheapest model on Ebuyer, who do next day delivery after 6pm;) Don't wanna wait till Monday to start folding :D

Figured it didn't really matter, as I won't be overclocking it. It's pretty decent though. I did drop 6*c off the GPU temp while folding, by taking my case side panel off. So I think I'll leave it off now, it's running at 60*c at 1920mhz, 90% fan speed (2600rpm) and doing 550-570k ppd at 95-100W according to software readings. The fan isn't too loud, but it is quite warm in my room, must be over 21c ambient:/

I found with the coolers from Gigabyte that they aren't the best in the world as the fans speeds where a bit noisy to get decent temps, but I think it's something to do with the cooler...?? From what I was watching with Jayztwocents with the cards, the EVGA card seemed to be rather good as it was a better aftermarket fan setup on there... Umm... :)

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
The cooler isn't mind blowing, but it'll do the job. The Evga was the same price from scan, but Monday!! That's like so long. No way I could wait haha.

I think the dumb back-plate enclosure on this card is negatively affecting temperature and noise, take a look;

IMG_20190315_103854.jpg

I'm half-tempted to take the plastic backplate off, it'll let the heatsink breath a lot more. it's just for show anyway. there's a bit of overhang on the heatsink at the end, where it's longer than the PCB; potentially allowing air to flow right through the fins unhindered, but the backplate enclosure blocks it. >_>

Might take it off later lol.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Ah, I tend to go to Scan for the most things first, check the prices around and then make a choice :)

Scan EVGA 1660 was in stock, so would have been a yesterday/today delivery and couldn't see a backplate on the card but if your happy, then that really is all that matters :) So don't let idiots like me try and tell you differently ;)

I'm hoping for a nice easy weekend.. I've got a few systems to setup and test this weekend.....

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
In hindsight; I might've waited for Monday and got the EVGA lol. The fans on this card make a loud rattling noise at some RPMs. ~Shrug~. I'll see how it goes, they seemed to have stopped for now. If it develops any other quirks' I'll throw the plate back on and RMA it.

One cooler removed;
IMG_20190315_105439.jpg

One TU116-300 Graphics processor;

IMG_20190315_105649.jpg

One freshly removed plastic enclosure;

IMG_20190315_110545.jpg

And, finally, one finished, installed card. Hopefully with a bit more breathing room;
IMG_20190315_111134.jpg

Temps are about the same, but it's actually a bit quieter. I did put TG Kryonaut on it, was expecting a bigger difference, but hey, it was fun and I got to take a snap of the Tu116 chip for my silly GPU blog haha.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
If it's not what you're really after, send it back and get another model you know you'll be happy with :) EVGA are definitely my go to for NVidia cards...

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
If it's not what you're really after, send it back and get another model you know you'll be happy with :) EVGA are definitely my go to for NVidia cards...
I'll see how it goes. it's not too bad, I'd rather just keep it and not worry about the stress/hassle of returning it honestly. Warranty is still solid; replacing the backplate again is very easy to do and no quibbles as no Warranty seals, so I think I'm just gonna keep it. But lesson learned I guess~

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I've always said and I'll never go back on it, if something costs a little extra but it's actually what I'd like, then rather than try and save cash and so on, I'd rather just buy the slightly more expensive unit. There's no point in trying to skimp on things as you just end up buying things twice, spending more in the process. Said the same to my best mate and he's never looked back..

Consequently, he does blame me for every single big purchase he makes and for being the hardware crazy person I am, but I'm ok with that :D :laugh:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I think I have a bit of a problem of late....

IMG_20190315_175344.jpg

Will possibly (well more likely) had a Crosshair 6 Hero up for sale at some point soon, I only bought this one as the box was slightly dented on the other one.. I have some issues I think!! :laugh:

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I think I have a bit of a problem of late....

View attachment 118758

Will possibly (well more likely) had a Crosshair 6 Hero up for sale at some point soon, I only bought this one as the box was slightly dented on the other one.. I have some issues I think!! :laugh:

What's the deal with that X58 board?

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
What's the deal with that X58 board?

Saw it boxed and thought, ummm, might go well with the X58A-OC's I have :D Other than that, no clue but did come with a X5660 Xeon :)

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Well, I got the EVGA instead and it looks pretty awesome. Quite thick and chunky. ^^

I forgot and left a reciept on the table when i took the pic. course the card's now in my pc and I really can't be bothered to take it out again, so forgive the blurr lol.

IMG_20190316_110201.jpg

IMG-20190316-WA0007.jpeg

Looks pretty nice^^ my only "issue" is that I derped and didn;t realise the Triple slot cooler would cover up my the PCIE slot my Sound card was in, so i had to decide between Sound card and Wifi adapter. And since I have 5.1 speakers and my mobo doesn't have 5.1 output, i chose the sound card and moved that up over the GPU. Now i gotta use my potato powerline adapters. Ah well. #MicroATXMotherboardinFullATXCaseProblems

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Question of the day: "why the hell your mobile SSD has double capacity over your computer SSD"

disclaimer, an ADATA XPG SD700X 512GB is not really double of 240GB... it's more. (well formated it is ... 476gb versus 223gb) but my friends can be misled ...
IMG_20190316_114144.jpgIMG_20190316_114155.jpg

short answer of the day : "WHY NOT!" :laugh:, long answer involve argumentation on how a game library can be portable and launched with ease (i did that with a 5.4k RPM USB3.0 ext HDD before and save for a few games, results were almost satisfactory outside loading time )and also since it only take 900mA it work perfectly with my KodiBox (Odroid C2) and can also act as a backup drive on the go for my phone.

transferring from my old trusty (was trusty ... tho) Corsair Survivor 128gb USB3.0 right now ... 129Mo/s peak using front USB3.0

firing up CrystalDiskInfo has shown me a good surprise ... none of my internal drives are above 32° tho the XPG is shown 45° while it doesn't seems that hot ... reading error i presume
CrystalDiskMark numbers are good i guess.

1552733884402.png1552735981681.png

if only my retailer had the 1Tb in stock ... (it was only 78.30chf more than the 512gb 169chf/90.70chf)

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Question of the day: "why the hell your mobile SSD has double capacity over your computer SSD"

disclaimer, an ADATA XPG SD700X 512GB is not really double of 240GB... it's more. (well formated it is ... 476gb versus 223gb) but my friends can be misled ...
View attachment 118788View attachment 118787

short answer of the day : "WHY NOT!" :laugh:, long answer involve argumentation on how a game library can be portable and launched with ease (i did that with a 5.4k RPM USB3.0 ext HDD before and save for a few games, results were almost satisfactory outside loading time )and also since it only take 900mA it work perfectly with my KodiBox (Odroid C2) and can also act as a backup drive on the go for my phone.

transferring from my old trusty (was trusty ... tho) Corsair Survivor 128gb USB3.0 right now ... 129Mo/s peak using front USB3.0

firing up CrystalDiskInfo has shown me a good surprise ... none of my internal drives are above 32° tho the XPG is shown 45° while it doesn't seems that hot ... reading error i presume
CrystalDiskMark numbers are good i guess.

View attachment 118789View attachment 118793

if only my retailer had the 1Tb in stock ... (it was only 78.30chf more than the 512gb 169chf/90.70chf)
Makes sense honestly. USB 3.1 nice, actually higher bandwidth than SATA3 afaik...Those numbers are really good seq. Are the randoms as good as internal SSD? That's what makes the different in my experience in video games.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Makes sense honestly. USB 3.1 nice, actually higher bandwidth than SATA3 afaik...Those numbers are really good seq. Are the randoms as good as internal SSD? That's what makes the different in my experience in video games.
well i used it on USB3.0 (cable is USB-A to Micro-B) i need to check it on the USB3.1 of the comp later...

but now: off to work :ohwell:

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
my only "issue" is that I derped and didn;t realise the Triple slot cooler would cover up my the PCIE slot my Sound card was in, so i had to decide between Sound card and Wifi adapter. And since I have 5.1 speakers and my mobo doesn't have 5.1 output, i chose the sound card and moved that up over the GPU. Now i gotta use my potato powerline adapters. Ah well.

If you're not planning on using that lower M.2 slot, you can pick up one of those notebook-style M.2 WiFi adapters

Edit: It may conflict with the SATA ports.

Last edited:
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
If you're not planning on using that lower M.2 slot, you can pick up one of those notebook-style M.2 WiFi adapters

Edit: It may conflict with the SATA ports.
Yeah the bottom m.2 is SATA only :( really sucks because the X470 boards with dual m.2 have at least pcie off the chipset. i didn't (again) do my research when choosing this board, as i bought it thinking it had dual m.2 pcie. It's a great board otherwise though.

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yeah the bottom m.2 is SATA only :( really sucks because the X470 boards with dual m.2 have at least pcie off the chipset. i didn't (again) do my research when choosing this board, as i bought it thinking it had dual m.2 pcie. It's a great board otherwise though.

https://smile.amazon.com/Express-Ex...pcie+extender&qid=1552751627&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Looks like you need one of those so you can still use that bottom PCI-E slot and just relocate the card to one of those lower slots in the case.