• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Borderlands 3 Possibly Exclusive to Epic Games Store on PC, Fans Worry Based on Old Tweet

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Thats a really nice example there. Thanks.
But what if there is one more factor? Like for example loyality points?
I tend to always shop in one supermarket bcoz once couple months I can get a bagfull of booze for free.
Thats what I get for loyality.

In gaming example, I dont get that much of a profit, but I have the convenience of having it all in one spot.

worth noting: using one shop at the time means that when You launch it to play You have to deal with updates,notes,changes and so on...
again, returning to an example with puddle of piss lol

Loyalty points? Again, when it comes to that supermarket, what happens in the real world is you either toss them out, give them to someone else, or you finish your loyalty point requirement with some useless purchases to get something you never needed anyway. :rolleyes:

As for shop updates... those take all of five seconds most of the time. Game updates can take longer, but this isn't any different when you start up six stores on boot. In fact, when you get all six, you'll wait longer and you will be pausing the downloads you don't need. When you launch Steam, it almost always has an update if you're gone for more than a few days, and then.. you'll also be pausing the game updates you're not playing right away. Nothing is new here...

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
when You launch it to play You have to deal with updates,notes,changes and so on.
None of which really take very long. I have no issue with it. My world isn’t going to end because I wait a few minutes occasionally for updates. And it is only occasionally, even with over 400 Steam games.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I wonder how long I'll keep seeing "but competition is healthy!" from people despite the fact that this Steam vs. EGS thing is not standard private sector competition.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I think a growing majority of 'gamers' (ie, the ones that have aged and have careers) have learned that they don't have that much time to game anymore. So when they do, they just want to sit down and play. Everything else is just superfluous noise that doesn't impact the prime directive: gaming.

Note: Multiplayer does make those 'extra features' nice but who doesn't have Discord?

EDIT: maybe not majority now, but it will be as life isn't getting any cheaper.

System Name Not an Intel Piece of Shite
Processor Superior AMD Glorious Master Race 2700SEX
Motherboard Glorious low cost Awesome Motherboard 4
Cooling A piece of metal that cools the amazing Ryzen CPU
Memory SAMMY BEEE DAI BABEH
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Case It's red because AMD = red and AMD = awesome
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Benchmark Scores Higher than Intel shite
You talk like someone who doesn't know what's he talking about.
No, I talk like someone who doesn't give a s*** about using another game launcher.

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
No, I talk like someone who doesn't give a s*** about using another game launcher.

Platform and launcher are two different things, EGS is a platform, Epic launcher was a launcher, steam is a platform, bethesda launcher...Well i guess you got it. Anyway it depends on what this platform offers the user, and since EGS offers nothing to users, at least the ones with pinch of brain, there's really no reason to install it unless...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
They are causing an upset. People are tired of having accounts all over the place just to do some gaming.
People are tired of the 10 extra seconds it takes to open the Epic Games Client? What about Origin or Uplay, GOG Galaxy or Bethesda net ? Are those all super bad too?

Then we have the blatant invasion of privacy at the hands of the Epic client. These are serious problems that require action and active resistance.
I assume you don't use Windows 10, then?

I think it has more to do with Steam Fanboyism and bandwagon jumping for 85% of people complaining than the points you listed above seriously.

Platform and launcher are two different things, EGS is a platform, Epic launcher was a launcher, steam is a platform, bethesda launcher...Well i guess you got it. Anyway it depends on what this platform offers the user, and since EGS offers nothing to users, at least the ones with pinch of brain, there's really no reason to install it unless...
.....Unless it has a game that I want to play that's only available there, and I'm not throwing my toys out of the pram because it's not on Steam? btw i meant "game client" when i said "launcher".

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
People are tired of the 10 extra seconds it takes to open the Epic Games Client? What about Origin or Uplay, GOG Galaxy or Bethesda net ? Are those all super bad too?
Yes.

I assume you don't use Windows 10, then?
We do.
Windows 10 1803 OPTIMIZATION Guide For GAMERS & POWER USERS!

I think it has more to do with Steam Fanboyism and bandwagon jumping for 85% of people complaining than the points you listed above seriously.
There is fair number of ppl who want to join in on hate.
Take for example YT comments spamming under diablo immortal trailer.
Either that or EGS has no features whatsoever and is thrashy, so the only reason Id ever consider installing is by being forced to (like in Borderlands 3 example).

Thats why I have this thrash-of-a-store Origin installed.
To be able to play Dragon Age, nothing more.
Is this really what You guys want?

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Either that or EGS has no features whatsoever and is thrashy, so the only reason Id ever consider installing is by being forced to (like in Borderlands 3 example).

Thats why I have this thrash-of-a-store Origin installed.
To be able to play Dragon Age, nothing more.
Is this really what You guys want?
Your reply kinda just reinforces my point about Steam Fanboyism lol...

Also, do you really buy a game to get the gimmicky acheivements or chat your friends in the game (you can do this with Discord anyway, or even add the game to steam lol), make wish list,etc, ec blah blah.......IDK about you guys, but when I buy a game I kinda just wanna, you know, play the game? Which the Epic client does perfectly well.

This is a huuuge case of 'mountain out of a molehill' by whinging Steam fanboys.

Unpopular opinion; It's actually good that Deep Silver took the game off steam, why? because steam charge a huge cut of each sale, and with the Epic store, the dev gets more money for the product they worked so hard to create. It's the same price, too: more of the £69.99 I paid for the Gold edition -on the Epic store- is going to 4A, not lining Gabe's pocket. if it were more expensive I would understand the outrage. But it's not, so un-twist your panties and stop having a tantrum.

Oh and I haven't had my identity stolen, no one's turned up at my house to try and kill me yet, etc.

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
Also, do you really buy a game to get the gimmicky acheivements or chat your friends in the game (you can do this with Discord anyway, or even add the game to steam lol), make wish list,etc, ec blah blah.......
Thats not the case.
btw Discord is another app to run.
but when I buy a game I kinda just wanna, you know, play the game? Which the Epic client does perfectly well.
How about each game developer have their own store?
So I can download 350+ stores for my 350+ games.
Unpopular opinion; It's actually good that Deep Silver took the game off steam, why? because steam charge a huge cut of each sale, and with the Epic store, the dev gets more money for the product they worked so hard to create. It's the same price, too: more of the £69.99 I paid for the Gold edition -on the Epic store- is going to 4A, not lining Gabe's pocket. if it were more expensive I would understand the outrage. But it's not, so un-twist your panties and stop having a tantrum.
On steam they have access to millions of users from early 2000s.
On EGS they have thousands of fortnite kids.
(all due respect to fortnite, I love the game. Thanks to its existance CSGO servers are free of kids)
Oh and I haven't had my identity stolen, no one's turned up at my house to try and kill me yet, etc.
yet lol

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Oh and I haven't had my identity stolen
No but my email was “stolen” for someone trying to create an Epic account. I of course “stole it back” I’ll admit I’m lazy and old and still using a hotmail address so I am a target. I wouldn’t have an Epic account if it weren’t for that nice Russian chap :roll:

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
Who cares about Steam if the game is good? Who would possibly miss a good game because you can't collect stupid steam achievements and childish badges and points. Steam steals money from developers with their astoundingly high fees while doing exactly nothing besides an overpriced webshop. Valve should get back to developing games instead of ripping off dev studios who actually work.

I don't see people crying over PS4 or XBOX exclusives. If Steam wants to compete, they need to lower the amount they take from developers.

You do understand that devs make more money from being on Steam than being on the EGS right? 70% of something is better than 88% of nothing. And that's ignoring the fact that Epic are probably going to have to increase their cut and stop handing out big money exclusivity bribes once the Fortnite windfall dries up. That's the reason they're throwing all this money around, they are desperate to try and gain market share before the golden goose dies.

It doesn't work because a significant amount of user would do exactly that, hence why Epic are bribing developers to be exclusive to their store in the first place, to forcibly avoid that situation.

OK, where's this data? You're telling me that the developers are willing to make LESS money on the Epic store just to spite you. NO, game companies are in the business to make money. If they feel that they can make more from the Epic store (either from epic paying them more) than Steam, they will do it.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Well, here we go again......

Obsidian Entertainment announced that their new game The Outer Worlds will be an exclusive on the Epic Store and the Microsoft Store for 1 year. Remedy Entertainment has said that their game Control will be an exclusive on the Epic Store as well.

Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human will be also coming exclusively on Epic’s store.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Well, here we go again......

Obsidian Entertainment announced that their new game The Outer Worlds will be an exclusive on the Epic Store and the Microsoft Store for 1 year. Remedy Entertainment has said that their game Control will be an exclusive on the Epic Store as well.
Both are the two games I have been waiting almost a year for since I first learned of them. They are easily for me the two favorites unless CP2077 releases this year.

This will be quite the dilemma for me and many others. At this point people are going to have to decide if they are going to consistently forego AAA releases or go ahead and enjoy themselves.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Both are the two games I have been waiting almost a year for since I first learned of them. They are easily for me the two favorites unless CP2077 releases this year.

This will be quite the dilemma for me and many others. At this point people are going to have to decide if they are going to consistently forego AAA releases or go ahead and enjoy themselves.

I have a good idea what will happen. I'll likely pickup Metro when I am done with Odyssey unless CP2077 is out. Not expecting that though.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Some more news.....

Deep Silver and Epic announced that Metro Exodus sold 2.5 times better on the Epic Store than Last Light did on Steam. So I guess we have our answer to what a lot of people are doing. They are signing up for an Epic Store account it seems.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Some more news.....

Deep Silver and Epic announced that Metro Exodus sold 2.5 times better on the Epic Store than Last Light did on Steam. So I guess we have our answer to what a lot of people are doing. They are signing up for an Epic Store account it seems.

Was Last Light initially sold on Steam? Or was it somewhere else first?

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Detroit: Become Human is also coming to PC finally, and exclusively on Epic.

Valve is going to have to learn to compete or Steam will lose a lot of big games...and market share.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
No but my email was “stolen” for someone trying to create an Epic account.
Same happened to me before the Epic Game Store, even made a profile post about it.

Untitled.png

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Yeah I just followed the link and changed the password. Sorry Fortnite scrub it’s mine now!

If you took Fortnight away from biffzinker then you did him a favor. :laugh:

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Never got around to playing fortnite.

Reactions: 64K

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Nah some Russian chap, probably trying to make a throwaway account at my expense.