• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Memory Tweaking & Overclocking Guide

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Amazing guide for RyZen owners? I assume it applies to Threadripper users' as well?

Also I would LOVE you write an Intel version as well.

@1usmus Thank you for taking the time to write this article (and develop the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen). I plan to read through it more thoroughly this weekend.

I didn't see this mentioned, and I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but the biggest problem I've found is knowing which memory kits to buy (not just for Ryzen, but also for Intel). It's almost a complete crapshoot. There are only a handful of memory kits that I know should be, for example, all-but-guaranteed single-rank Samsung B-die. Through deductive reasoning, reading datasheets and personal experience, I've determined those kits to be 8 GB DIMMs with speeds/timings of 2400 MT/s C10, 3200 MT/s C14, 3600 MT/s C15, 4133 MT/s C17, and mostly anything above 4133 MT/s, whether it's C18 or C19. However, that leaves a lot of memory kits in the unknown category.

I was surprised to see the 3600 MT/s C19 Hynix kit that was mentioned because I never would have thought about purchasing one of the highest CAS latency 3600 MT/s kits. For the most part, I've had good luck with Hynix for Ryzen (though not as good as single-rank Samsung B-die, of course), so I'm not afraid to purchase another kit with those ICs. I do avoid Micron, though.

I haven't had very good luck with Micron (as far as overclocking goes) on either AMD or Intel platforms. Maybe that will change with the new Micron H/E-die (16 nm) ICs mentioned in the article. Fortunately, Micron is a little easier to avoid; don't buy Crucial/Ballistix-branded memory. Of course, nearly any kit below roughly 3200 MT/s C16 could be using Micron ICs (and a lot of them are). Could this memory kit possibly be using some of the new H/E-die (16 nm) ICs? At the price they're currently asking, I'd rather buy a kit of all-but-guaranteed Samsung B-die for the same or less.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
There are actually some Crucial kits that uses Samsung B-Die, but so far from what I heard they tend to be pretty disapointing B-Die.
I guess it is no a surprise, given how loose the timings are out of the box.

Last edited:
There are actually some Crucial kits that uses Samsung B-Die, but so far from what I heard they tend to be pretty dissapointing B-Die.
I guess it is no a surprise, given how loose the timings are out of the box.

That's interesting, and I guess that sort of confirms that Crucial/Micron really didn't have anything that could clock up beyond roughly 3200 MT/s. I guess that might be changing with their new 16 nm ICs. Those timings really aren't that bad for 3466 MT/s, although it almost certainly means it's a slightly lower-binned B-die chip (just as you said, although there is definitely a lot worse B-die). I know Corsair, and probably others, also use Samsung B-die in some of their 3466 MT/s C16 kits.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
That's interesting, and I guess that sort of confirms that Crucial/Micron really didn't have anything that could clock up beyond roughly 3200 MT/s. I guess that might be changing with their new 16 nm ICs. Those timings really aren't that bad for 3466 MT/s, although it almost certainly means it's a slightly lower-binned B-die chip (just as you said, although there is definitely a lot worse B-die). I know Corsair, and probably others, also use Samsung B-die in some of their 3466 MT/s C16 kits.
The 3600 version you linked runs at similar timings, so those should be strait up better than the 3466 version.
3466 CL16 is not horrible, but I rather grab some 3200 CL14 which has better compatiblilty and better latency.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Awesome guide, great detail and info. Wow.

Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
Beautiful guide and well done, keep up the good work.

This article is almost up to date with hardware engineering pov. Great stuff.

System Name RYZEN RECKER
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Prime B350-plus
Cooling Arctic Cooler 120mm CPU, Cougar case fans.
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair LPX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6700XT Swift 309
Storage 6.5TB total across 4 different drives
Display(s) Acer 32" 170hz VA
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 headset
Power Supply Corsair CX850m
Mouse Steel Series Sensei Ten
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Very good write up!!
I have a set of Corsair 2x8GB 3200mhz and an Asus Prime 350b-PLUS mobo, but the RAM kit is not listed in the vendor certified list...
Therefore, I have only been able to get them to 3066mhz stable..
I run them at 3000mhz for 24/7 stability. Hopefully I can use this guide to get them into the 3200mhz+ range.
How do you find out what type of memory your RAM has? (Samsung, Elpida, Hynx, etc?)
They are Corsair Vengence LPX
CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
How do you find out what type of memory your RAM has? (Samsung, Elpida, Hynx, etc?)
Try using Thaiphoon Burner freeware version - http://www.softnology.biz/

Have it read one of the SPD ROMs off your two sticks then click the report button. Take a screenshot by clicking on the bottom screenshot then post it here if you want.
Untitled.png

1usmus

AMD Memory Guru
@1usmus Can you explain what Multi Rank memory is? I have always assumed Single Rank and Dual Rank were synonymous with single sided and dual sided, but I guess this isn't the case.

MR ( Multi Rank) = 4 Single Rank DIMM's

Nice article!

Uncached startup times of bigger applications like games / photoshop or comparable tools would be interesting to see the differences as well!

( start from SSD ofc, HDD would negate any considerable effect that is significant enough to be compared )

In Photoshop, there is almost no increase performance. Complete analogy of the results in render packages.
There will be more detailed research and I will publish it with the debut of new processors. There will be a detailed comparison of all that may be of interest to the public.

Re-read my post, "... two dimms ... two dimms ...". Btw however we found no difference between 2x8 and 4x8 and 2x16 on X470 with these particular dimms, how's that for curious?! 4x16 is another story though.

Unfortunately I do not have kits to show you results, but the frequency of 3200 is a reality for 4*16

Absolutely great article @1usmus , thank you and tpu as such guide and information is well received and needed by the community , appreciate it your hard work.

@1usmus , i need your help my friend , i want to upgrade to a 32GB 2x16GB memory kit , I'm currently running right now a G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz cas14 kit 16GB 2x8GB @ 3533 Cas14 , but i do not want to loose too much performance on my Ryzen 2700x and Asus CH7 as i use this pc 24/7 for everything and is my Gaming warrior / Encoding , decoding large files / large video and photos processing , etc ...

I was looking at some kits at newegg and the price range wildy and sometimes i cannot figure it out wish memory ICs are used on this kits since no information can be found. Can you recommend me a good 32GB 16x2GB kit without breaking the bank and squeeze great performance out of them ? Thank you in advanced and keep up the Awesome work !

I was looking at this kits:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232214&ignorebbr=1 - Sammys B-dies / $279US

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232660 - Hynix MFR - $169US

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225032 - Micron ??? - $194US

i use kit G.Skill F4-3000c14D-32GTZR (2*16) , great memory

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232214&ignorebbr=1 - Sammys B-dies / $279US , it is similar to mine

Ah, I thought this memory dependency for Ryzen was fixed with updates.
Don't have time to read the article right now, but can tell it is very informative.

Do you think memory speeds will be just as important for the next gen AMD CPUs (Matisse 3000 series)? I believe they still use Infinity Fabric

I prepared inside information about new processors and their features, the news will be published in the coming days ;)

A great article for sure, very detailed, and I love that. But at the end of the day, at least in games in real world scenarios, you won't notice the difference sadly. It really doesn't make a huge difference that people say it does, and the reality is high clock memory is not super important. A good 2933, or even 2666 kit will be good enough.

there are streamers and there are owners of monitors 144hz, also tuning directly affects the minimum FPS

Amazing guide for RyZen owners? I assume it applies to Threadripper users' as well?

Also I would LOVE you write an Intel version as well.

Yes, this guide is fully compatible with platform X399 :)
For Intel, this is possible, I will think about creating a similar manual

Guys, I'm glad to hear what you like, at the moment I am working on this guide, I am writing new pages, and personal answers will be a little later :)

Last edited:
MR ( Multi Rank) = 4 Single Rank DIMM's

I prepared inside information about new processors and their features, the news will be published in the coming days ;)

there are streamers and there are owners of monitors 144hz, also tuning directly affects the minimum FPS

Yes, this guide is fully compatible with platform X399 :)
For Intel, this is possible, I will think about creating a similar manual

Guys, I'm glad to hear what you like, at the moment I am working on this guide, I am writing new pages, and personal answers will be a little later :)

Great, while you’re at it please add why PRECHARGE needs to wait tCAS-1, when tras min can be only tRCD+(bl-1), otherwise you risk confusing people trying to understand relationships. Your article is way too short there. You can also explain why tWR should be considered within a read tRC cycle, because that needs clarification, too. Looking forward to additional info!

Also, please explain why most white papers include tCAS in tras min, and it’s outside the tBL window? And if tCAS does not matter here, where and how does it actually affect performance? These are very important questions your guide must answer if you are touching on these subjects and changing what has been explained by most DRAM engineers.

Please see my other posts for more context.

Last edited by a moderator:

1usmus

AMD Memory Guru
Great, while you’re at it please add why PRECHARGE needs to wait tCAS-1, when tras min can be only tRCD+(bl-1), otherwise you risk confusing people trying to understand relationships. Your article is way too short there. You can also explain why tWR should be considered within a read tRC cycle, because that needs clarification, too. Looking forward to additional info! Please see my other posts for more context.

On the page that interests you, the theory is published and the formula is published, in which one of the teams gets a negative value. This is not a mistake, only due to a negative value I can demonstrate a “savings”, since 2 commands are executed in parallel.
Presets - is the parallel execution of certain commands and the lack of margin, which can give the user up to 14% of FPS.
Looking at this preset, you should have a lot of questions, because it violates all the formulas and at the same time is absolutely stable.

Presets - is the parallel execution of certain commands and the lack of margin, which can give the user up to 14% of FPS.
Looking at this preset, you should have a lot of questions, because it violates all the formulas and at the same time is absolutely stable.

Yes, but this does not explain why PRECHARGE has to be sent at a minimum of CL-1 in this scenario, why not simply tBL-1, which is always 7. If this is not allowed here, why is it allowed in tRAS min?

1) Why do most white papers include tCAS in tRAS min, and it’s outside the tBL time window? Please see the IBM white paper I posted earlier, and also many others online show this.

2) How does tWR become active during a read RAS cycle? You’re using it as part of your calculation, please explain why and how it is important when there are no write commands sent.

These situations must be explained clearly in your guide, otherwise, they don’t quite make sense.

On the page that interests you, the theory is published and the formula is published, in which one of the teams gets a negative value. This is not a mistake, only due to a negative value I can demonstrate a “savings”, since 2 commands are executed in parallel.

Ok, it still doesn’t explain why precharge cannot be tBL-1 in both scenarios

Your IP address is identical to the address from which a person with a fragile childish psyche has poisoned a lot of dirt . I will not enter into dialogue with such people.

I knew you’d dodge me if I asked directly, so yes, I created an alternative account. But, in no way is any of this childish.

The questions are valid, 1usmus. These are valid ones that bring the formula into question. They go against almost every technical document available online. As the author of this paper, I think it's your responsibility to clarify these things. This isn't something that should offend, so if it has, I apologise (I've since asked for the accounts to be merged). These topics aren't easy to cover, so the theory needs to be solid.

Last edited:
System Name RYZEN RECKER
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Antec 900
Keyboard Corsair K55
Try using Thaiphoon Burner freeware version - http://www.softnology.biz/

Have it read one of the SPD ROMs off your two sticks then click the report button. Take a screenshot by clicking on the bottom screenshot then post it here if you want.
snap321201980132PM.png

Looks like they are Samsung! Let's get these puppies up in clock speed, shall we?

Should I just crank up the voltage to get to 3200mhz? What other parameters are best for stability?

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
View attachment 119244

Looks like they are Samsung! Let's get these puppies up in clock speed, shall we?

Should I just crank up the voltage to get to 3200mhz? What other parameters are best for stability?
But there Samsung E-die instead of the B-die that have the better overclocking potential.

System Name RYZEN RECKER
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Antec 900
Keyboard Corsair K55
But there Samsung E-die instead of the B-die that have the better overclocking potential.
Wonderful...Well, I guess I will continue to use them at a lower frequency and sell them when Zen 2 hits..

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Ah, I thought this memory dependency for Ryzen was fixed with updates.
Don't have time to read the article right now, but can tell it is very informative.

Do you think memory speeds will be just as important for the next gen AMD CPUs (Matisse 3000 series)? I believe they still use Infinity Fabric
Last I heard AMD is taking a different approach with ZEN2. There's going to be some core design changes in ZEN 2 versus the original ZEN. The changes will include a reduction in Infinity Fabric latency. Something about keeping Infinity Fabric's speed at a constant high speed. And basically doubling up everything. Also there will be 7nm chiplets and IF and a separate single 14nm to house the PCIe, IMCs, IF and so on.

Alpi

Bdie has more potencial in oc than edie. The timings are much more flexible but it's better for clocks even. However it won't cause any limit for Your Ryzen I guess. I tryed how my 2x4 edie goes in Am4 and it was able to boot and go os easily at 3600mhz. I want to test them again a bit longer soon.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I honestly have nothing to add here, but as someone who has been highly interested in Ryzen RAM overclocking for quite a while, this article is a huge help. It clarified so many things for me and set me straight on a thing or two - in the past I've been wrong about certain things... now when people ask I can give them the correct explanation and hopefully help them out as well.

A few things, I wish were explained in more detail, but even those parts make for great starting points into my own learning and research. I now have a lot more to think about and look into thanks to this write-up.

Seriously awesome stuff. I appreciate the effort put in by everyone involved!:toast:

Processor Core i7-12700k
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Wonderful...Well, I guess I will continue to use them at a lower frequency and sell them when Zen 2 hits..
TBH Samsung E-Die is not that bad for daily use, you should be able to get it running @3200 using the Calculator.
Because even when running @3200, the Calculator gives you more optimized values compare to the XMP settings anyway.
You could still see some gains, and 3200 shouldn't be hard to stablize with the right settings.

ThatNerdGUI

Hello everyone, I'm new around here.

I currently have 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro on a STRIX X470-F mobo and due to having issues trying to get them to run at the XMP rated speeds, I decided to give this guide a shot to see if I could at least get them to run at their base speed. I downloaded all the tools and the first thing I noticed was that Thaiphoon Burner was showing a CRC error in 3/4 of the sticks. Manual timings were working, but then default/manual settings stopped passing the RAM post when all RAM slots are populated and only pass with XMP on in bios :confused:. I exported the TB reports but I don't know what to make about them. Should I be concerned about the CRC errors?

I've uploaded the exports here in case someone could help.
Thanks.

WuY276

I have R5 2600, MSI B450 GAMING PLUS and 2x8GB Hynix AFR. It stable on 3200MHz with 16-17-18-18-34 timings, but don't work on 3466 with any settings. I've tried all the options that Ryzen DRAM calculator offers, but always get an error in Prime95. What can help?