• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can’t successfully clone bootable SSD

SeptimusFry

I am trying to move my boot disc from Samsung 850 500G msata to an 860 1T. New SSD has to be on USB 3 port.
First, tried reliable Acronis 2016. Clone proceeded well, but result not bootable.
Second, tried Acronis recommended backup-and-restore solution. Same result.
Third, tried Samsung Data Migration solution, also failed, but at least Samsung indicated that using USB might cause a problem.
Has anyone here had same or similar and can indicate possible solutions? Please don’t swamp me with loads of alternative software without having experienced this problem. I can’t believe that there aren’t people who have tried, or achieved, this sort of thing.

The platform is Alien MX14-2 W10. - Acronis runs stand-alone, booting off CD. - SDM runs under normal OS operation.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
After you clone, did you take the new drive out of the USB 3 and put it in the computer on a proper connection?

Windows, normally, can't boot from USB.

SeptimusFry

PS just re-read and should make clear that I am cloning from internal msata device to the new device via a USB3 port and a proven USB to msata device, and failing to boot AFTER swapping the new SSD in place of original.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
After swapping the new drive, did you go into the BIOS and make sure it is selected and in the Boot order? Also, try turning off secureboot.

SeptimusFry

BIOS needing no actual change, it’s the ‘same’ device. Secure boot off. Over clocking disabled(not that it should matter). I was rather hoping someone might have had this problem, changing up SSDs cannot be a rare thing, and sticking to same manufacturer is logically to be expected.

I get this message with the Samsung clone. \windows\system32\winload.exe error code 0x000000e

With Acronis clone, I got an error ) NTLDR file missing.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
BIOS needing no actual change, it’s the ‘same’ device. Secure boot off. Over clocking disabled(not that it should matter). I was rather hoping someone might have had this problem, changing up SSDs cannot be a rare thing, and sticking to same manufacturer is logically to be expected.

I get this message with the Samsung clone. \windows\system32\winload.exe error code 0x000000e

With Acronis clone, I got an error ) NTLDR file missing.

Instead of bashing people and being sarcastic why not include those errors in the OP and lighten up? Surely you will get better responses.

I’m going to go out in a limb and assume you didn’t google literally anything, but it appears to be a pattern in this thread that info is held back until you have condicendigly responded to other memebers.

If you HAD googled though you would realize within a few minutes that you have a corrupt MBR. You would further glean from the provided into that it would generally be as simple as booting off of a USB with a windows installer on it (simple enough given you have a working drive); and simply typing.

Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

But you know im assuming you did this legwork since your tone seems to indicate this is child’s play. So I’ll let the other members wait to see what error you got when doing that procedure.

SeptimusFry

Why on earth do you think I am bashing people? I joined this forum after some other not-similar-enough threads came up in my pretty extensive searches. Where did I say it was child’s play? I have never joined a forum to be welcomed with such hatred! It is yourself that is both rude and condescending. You are clearly a very advanced user, but that does not give you the right to attack me so aggressively.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Let's move past this and see about a solution.

If the original drive's MBR is corrupt somehow you'll have to do the fix or it will never work, obviously it can only copy what's there and that includes any errors or problems. If the process of cloning is causing it then you'll have to do the fixes anyway, BTW I gather it's being done with a Win 10 OS drive from what I'm seeing.

Try the fixes suggested after cloning with the "New" drive and then give it a shot.

SeptimusFry

Regarding your reply, can you tell me how to get the Windows RE onto a USB device, I have memory sticks up to 32G.

faky1337

Hi there SeptimusFry
In our company we sell SSDs and also replace HDDs in older computers with SSDs. We use different tools to clone the HDDs to SSDs (but also Acronis and Samsung Data Migration). Usually we connect the SSD through a USB Port and then clone the HDD SATA disk to the SSD one. When done we remove the HDD and install the SSD on the SATA Port.

Sometimes we had faulty SSDs which we returned and got a working replacement.
Sometimes we had to clone it twice (first time didn't work, done it again and it surprisingly worked).
We also tested booting from USB3 but it did not work with the actual Windows build.

Make sure all applications capable of blocking stuff (antivirus, antimalware,...) is disabled. Also always gracefully shut down the computer so the OS "closes" the file system.

Do you have a spare SSD to test, if the one you have is faulty?

Also we had problems with computers which had more than 1 disk previously installed. Somehow windows was on the first disk, but the MBR was installed on the second disk. If you use MBR boot make sure the MBR is on the same disk as the windows bootloader.

SeptimusFry

Let's move past this and see about a solution.

If the original drive's MBR is corrupt ... BTW I gather it's being done with a Win 10 OS drive from what I'm seeing.

Try the fixes suggested after cloning with the "New" drive and then give it a shot.
Is there reason to think the original device MBR is corrupt? It boots with no problems? I assumed the corruption was being introduced in the cloning, and due to using USB interface - as stated on Samsung site?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
I'll have to do some checking on that and see if I find something that might help, the fix could be simple/stupid or a convoluted mess to do.
It may also be a limitation of the program you're using or somehting in Win 10 itself is getting in the way and if it's the OS, could be it's something intentional by MS.

Do remember that Win 10 once activated ties itself to the all the hardware you're using and I know with certain pieces changed/swapped it will wig out, with other things it doesn't care and could be (Not neccesarily though) in the case of a physically different drive it's doing that.

Will check and see what I can come up with.

SeptimusFry

Faky1337: I am ignorant of the difference between MBR and the Windows bootloader.
As far as turning off stuff, that is why I preferred Acronis stand-alone boot.
I like the idea of fixing things from a stand-alone boot, off USB device, but do not know how to create the Windows RE.
I do have an earlier SSD, but it is 256G and my system is getting fat on the 500G, which is why I am doing this...(vicious circle/catch 22)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Do you have access to a desktop PC? If so you could put both drives in it and use the Samsung Data Migration to clone the image. I prefer Samsung Data Migration, I use it for my Samsung SSDs.

SeptimusFry

Making a recovery drive at the moment. My desktop is in mothballs since we moved house start of 2018 ! Would take days to recommission from the cardboard boxes.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
I hope it works.
Good luck!

here is some simple stuff to try:

1.Do you have any other drives plugged in? If so unplug them. Sometimes the boot files hide in another drive.
2. And; already mentioned can you install both drives in the computer? the clone process will be much faster anyhow...
3.Try different clone software. I use this: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

4.check to see if the partition is marked "active" with this tool if you don't like DOS commands
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

5. make a Win10 Installer USB and with only the new cloned drive run the recovery tools. Then select startup repair
6. Are you booting legacy or UEFI? I've had issues with this in the past. you may not have any options in BIOS but
check anyhow.

SeptimusFry

Juiseman - you need to know I am an 80-years old photographer, not a computer nerd.My computer is a laptop, unplugging drives is a bit of a hassle, and, since the connections are fragile, I worry about making a new problem. Cannot install mSata drive in a (other) SATA socket. I know there are a slew of other software, but reluctant to try others...
I am hoping to do 5, as suggested previously.
I am booting legacy, don’t know what UEF1 means.

My laptop is not built like my desktop - I can, and have, pulled disks in and out quite merrily. I have already made the battery invisible, working on power only.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro

SeptimusFry

Kastriot - too much information, I am still waiting on my USB Windows recovery drive. Thanks...

System Name nitro 5
Processor 12500h
Motherboard acer?
Cooling dual fan
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) rtx3060
Storage nvme, finally..
Display(s) fhd ips
Case clamshell
Audio Device(s) realtek?
Power Supply 230w brick
Mouse a touchpad, wireless mouse
Keyboard the build in
Software w10 ltsc
Benchmark Scores what's the point?
I had clone my os hdd to ssd before, in my case it cannot be done from internal hdd to usb ssd, the solution in my case is using laptop harddrive mount that fit in odd/dvdrw bay (hdd caddy)..

I am using transcend ssd and software..

SeptimusFry

arnold: sounds similar to my situation.

I have found that putting my internal working SSD outside on USB3 adaptor, it will not boot. Not that that was what is intended.

Bones: I now have the recovery drive. I’ve booted off it (surprise for me) and have the failed clone in the system drive slot. I think, from a previous post, I should do things from the command prompt, like >bootrec/Fixmbr. But how do I make it apply to the dodgy drive? If it’s like the old days, I need to set the current location to the dodgy drive before typing a command. How do I get a listing of the installed drives...?
Hope you are still there...

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
If the original Drive works and boots just fine try cloning with a different program.

I’ve used Clonezilla for many years with no problems even with Windows 10 (Mechanical HDD to M.2 SSD)

SeptimusFry

Ok, I have used Rebuildbcd to get a list. I have said NO to add installation to boot list. Changed to get that drive as current device.
/fixmbr ...completed successfully
/fixboot ...returns ‘Access is denied’

Am a bit disappointed, that looked good initially. Any ideas? Please don’t give me reference to another cloning utility, if two don’t work I feel I need to try to get one of them working before branching out, there are just too many utilities, at least I had to pay for Acronis, I reasonably expect it to work.