• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su to Deliver COMPUTEX 2019 CEO Keynote

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) announced today that the 2019 COMPUTEX International Press Conference will be held with a Keynote by AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su. The 2019 COMPUTEX International Press Conference & CEO Keynote is scheduled for Monday, May 27 at 10:00 AM in Room 201 of the Taipei International Convention Center (TICC) in Taipei, Taiwan with the keynote topic "The Next Generation of High-Performance Computing".

"COMPUTEX, as one of the global leading technology tradeshows, has continued to advance with the times for more than 30 years. This year, for the first time, a keynote speech will be held at the pre-show international press conference," said Mr. Walter Yeh, President & CEO, TAITRA, "Dr. Lisa Su received a special invitation to share insights about the next generation of high-performance computing. We look forward to her participation attracting more companies to participate in COMPUTEX, bringing the latest industry insights, and jointly sharing the infinite possibilities of the technology ecosystem on this global stage."

As the first CEO keynote speaker at the COMPUTEX Press Conference, Dr. Lisa Su said, "As one of the most important global events for our industry, I look forward to COMPUTEX each year. I am honored to deliver the opening keynote this year and provide new details about the next generation of high-performance AMD platforms and products. With our partners, we will tell the story of how leading-edge technologies and an open ecosystem are driving an inflection point in computing and industry innovation and positively impacting several important markets."

Under the leadership of Dr. Lisa Su, AMD continues to grow and excel in the field of high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies. The latest AMD products released include the world's first 7nm gaming GPU-AMD Radeon VII and first 7nm datacenter GPU, AMD Radeon Instinct MI60. Upcoming products include 7nm AMD EPYC datacenter processors, 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen desktop processors and graphics cards based on the next-generation "Navi" architecture - all of which are designed to create exceptional experiences for gamers and creators as well as help solve many of the toughest challenges in our lives. During the CEO Keynote, Dr. Lisa Su and other high-profile guests will highlight new details of upcoming products and showcase how the industry is building a new high-performance computing ecosystem that will push technology to the next level.

COMPUTEX 2019 continues its position of Building Global Technology Ecosystems from May 28 - June 1, 2019 hosting 1,685 exhibitors across 5,508 exhibition booths, focusing on the latest tech trends such as AI & IoT, 5G, Blockchain, Innovations & Startups, and Gaming & XR. The 2019 show aims to inspire more innovative technologies and market opportunities to create a new ICT ecosystem.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Countdown continues..

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Come on AMD, we want a demo with TR on a water chiller at 5 Ghz. Just for giggles

May 27 will be a painful day for Intel.
Wanna bet? :)

Zen 2 launch is not as important as the original Zen in 2017. AMD got a revenue boost, but it wasn't exactly the "end of Intel" that some on this forum foreseen. :)
This is just an upgrade. I don't understand why hype is so strong.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wanna bet? :)

Zen 2 launch is not as important as the original Zen in 2017. AMD got a revenue boost, but it wasn't exactly the "end of Intel" that some on this forum foreseen. :)
This is just an upgrade. I don't understand why hype is so strong.

Because we are going to see AMD CPUs surpass or truly come side-by-side on performance. No longer can anyone maintain 'the Intel option is still somewhat better' without lying. Its a mindshare thing mostly, and that will become a push in sales as well.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Come on AMD, we want a demo with TR on a water chiller at 5 Ghz. Just for giggles

64 cores 5 GHz OMG.
It would be hyped to the moon.

I am sure that Extreme OC'rs will jump on it for WR's!.
But they need more Benchmarks for this task.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Leaks downplay perf boost, so not sure where the "5Ghz OMG" comes from.
Wishful thinking?

What I expect is "moar coars" at formidable TDP and minor Hz boost.
And no Ryzen 3000 yet.

Because we are going to see AMD CPUs surpass or truly come side-by-side on performance. No longer can anyone maintain 'the Intel option is still somewhat better' without lying. Its a mindshare thing mostly, and that will become a push in sales as well.
No, it won't.

All we hear is more cores (up to 2x) and higher clocks (+10%, right?). I haven't heard about any serious improvement other than raw performance.

Also, the biggest issue with Zen performance was not single-core potential (and obviously not number of cores), but latencies stemming form IF.
It's unknown at this point if the chiplet design helps in any way (or maybe makes it even worse).

If AMD wanted to have a successful product, they should have spent money on marketing and ecosystem. More cores is not enough.

Keynote summary:
- Ryzen 3XXX with 5% IPC and 7% more speed, totally 15% more perf, as said few years ago (check slides)
- Navi targeted for EOL-ed GF 1070, with OC it may be as fast as 1070 TI. Chips size is just 180 sqmm just to lower costs (7nm is very expensive). No hardware support for ray tracing, software support will be added in future.
- Epyc finally launch, partners will use it if they want
- AMD is back (again)

System Name Liquid 2022
Processor Intel i7-12700k
Motherboard Asus Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Cooling Custom loop with 9x120mm radiator area
Memory Team 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4@4133 C18-18-18
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti on nickel Heatkiller IV block with Aluminum backplate
Storage 10TB SSD: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (OS), Samsung 980 PRO 2TB, ADATA SX8200 PRO 2TB/500GB, 4TB/1TB MX500
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p G-SYNC, Samsung Odyssey
Case Phanteks ENTHOO 719 (grey)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5, Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Cooler Master V1200, custom sleeved white cables
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (maybe 11 soon?)

Maybe. But maybe not. You don't know this anymore than we do. I'm afraid you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

No, it won't.

All we hear is more cores (up to 2x) and higher clocks (+10%, right?). I haven't heard about any serious improvement other than raw performance.

Also, the biggest issue with Zen performance was not single-core potential (and obviously not number of cores), but latencies stemming form IF.
It's unknown at this point if the chiplet design helps in any way (or maybe makes it even worse).

If AMD wanted to have a successful product, they should have spent money on marketing and ecosystem. More cores is not enough.
Zen+ fixed (or at least made better) the frequency issues. Why shouldn't it be even better on Zen2? The single core performance is expected around 15%. With the best GPU (2080Ti), Intel has about 15% advantage in games in FHD. So if it delivers, it will be on par with the fastest Intel CPU, or nearer than anytime. And the blue eyed ones will lose the only remaining trump card. Not to speak about possible further price reduction for AMD.

Zen+ fixed (or at least made better) the frequency issues. Why shouldn't it be even better on Zen2?
Because exactly: Zen+ fixed it. It's not magic. They needed a bit more time to optimize this architecture. They can't do it perpetually.
The single core performance is expected around 15%. With the best GPU (2080Ti), Intel has about 15% advantage in games in FHD. So if it delivers, it will be on par with the fastest Intel CPU, or nearer than anytime. And the blue eyed ones will lose the only remaining trump card. Not to speak about possible further price reduction for AMD.
Games are not the ultimate benchmark of performance. Zen (and Zen+) are slow in some loads not because of clocks, but because of the architecture choices AMD made. It's very unlikely Zen2 will change that, but we'll see soon enough.

Also, I've seen this "Intel is 15% faster" since Zen launched in 2017. I'm not sure if you're aware of that, but Intel is also improving their lineup.
7700K -> 8700K -> 9700K were +4-5% each (as Intel usually does), despite adding 2 cores each time.
So 9700K is ~10% faster than 7700K, but people still reference the 2-year-old CPU.

So Zen 2 will still be 10-15% behind in single-core than the competing Intel stuff.
Other that that it'll be once again a balance of other features.
On AMD side you'll have a performance potential (another 2-4 cores), that you'll most likely never use.
On Intel side you'll have features (IGP, better virtualization and better ecosystem), that you'll most likely also never use.
Intel will be more expensive. AMD will be harder to buy.
Business as usual.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
So Zen 2 will still be 10-15% behind in single-core than the competing Intel stuff.
Other that that it'll be once again a balance of other features.
On AMD side you'll have a performance potential (another 2-4 cores), that you'll most likely never use.
On Intel side you'll have features (IGP, better virtualization and better ecosystem), that you'll most likely also never use.
Intel will be more expensive. AMD will be harder to buy.
Business as usual.

How do you know that? I think your incorrect here as the IPC of both AMD and Intel are pretty much the same the only advantage Intel has over AMD is clock speeds. Did you know that Zen 2 will most likely surpass Intel in IPC? and then inturn clock speeds wont have to be as high, did you see the side by side of Zen 2 vs 9900K? and see that even with lesser clock speed it still outperformed the intel part or did you forget that again?

Incorrect again, Intel hasnt got a better eco system and never has! AMD with its backwards and forward compatible AM4 platform is way better in this regard.
Intel has ALWAYS been more expensive and this makes it easier to buy AMD.

Do I have to continually correct you in these threads? its getting tiring repeating myself honestly.

How do you know that? I think your incorrect here as the IPC of both AMD and Intel are pretty much the same the only advantage Intel has over AMD is clock speeds. Did you know that Zen 2 will most likely surpass Intel in IPC?
Why would anyone care about this?
What do you want from your CPU? To perform or to have good IPC?
Intel spent R&D money and made architectural choices to have high clocks.
AMD spent R&D money and made architectural choices to have high core count.

These are 2 different approaches to performance, with 2 different outcomes. I prefer the more universal Intel approach.
Also, unlike AMD, Intel can actually offer a combination of both - albeit at a very high price point.
Incorrect again, Intel hasnt got a better eco system and never has! AMD with its backwards and forward compatible AM4 platform is way better in this regard.
Intel has ALWAYS been more expensive and this makes it easier to buy AMD.
By "ecosystem" I obviously meant products other than the CPU. Intel makes many things.
Do I have to continually correct you in these threads? its getting tiring repeating myself honestly.
No. You can read (and learn) something once in a while, not just write. :)

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Why would anyone care about this?
What do you want from your CPU? To perform or to have good IPC?
Intel spent R&D money and made architectural choices to have high clocks.
AMD spent R&D money and made architectural choices to have high core count.

These are 2 different approaches to performance, with 2 different outcomes. I prefer the more universal Intel approach.
Also, unlike AMD, Intel can actually offer a combination of both - albeit at a very high price point.

By "ecosystem" I obviously meant products other than the CPU. Intel makes many things.

No. You can read (and learn) something once in a while, not just write. :)

Then why did you bring it up in the first place and make a statement that was incorrect?
What everyone wants from a CPU, both and at a good price, wouldnt you?
No they are stuck on there current Arch and are struggling to get out 10nm, they had no choice but to increase clock speeds to compete.
AMD made a product that gives the best price performance as they have always done for decades.

That makes no sense to me really, universal how? AMD is extremely universal compared to Intel in all regards. If your going to bring up other things that intel make then your just looking for an escape route, sorry doesnt fool me!

Next time you should state that in your thread? and FYi AMD does have IGP and its leaps and bounds faster then Intels.

No you can read and learn as I have done to you in many many threads and looks like im still teaching you new things :)