• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Biostar A10N-8800E

Black Haru

Staff member
Tiny in form and price, the latest board from Biostar offers an embedded AMD FX8800p, as well as modern accommodations, such as a 16 Gb/s M.2 slot and USB 3.1 Gen1. This little Mini-ITX motherboard could be the perfect fit for the office, or an HTPC.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO this product should not exist in 2019. There's nothing of good value what-so-ever here.
There simply is no reason, whatsoever today to pay 90$ for this having far, far sub-par performance to the 50$ Zen-based Athlon 200GE with just about any budget AM4 board.

This budget version of a failing architecture from 5+ years ago should have died, but somehow BIOSTAR just insist of making new products based on it.
Sometimes i really, honestly wonder how does this company exist, having no successful products in just about any category of its catalog. Beyond me.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
I guess it's not bad for for people with limited budget, btw nice review like always.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
agree it should have more usb ports

IMO this product should not exist in 2019. There's nothing of good value what-so-ever here.
There simply is no reason, whatsoever today to pay 90$ for this having far, far sub-par performance to the 50$ Zen-based Athlon 200GE with just about any budget AM4 board.
FX-8800P was originally launched as a laptop CPU and is perfect for this kind of tiny systems - it has low idle power consumption.
200GE idle power draw is much higher - typical for a desktop CPUs.
Also, the gap in CPU performance isn't enormous. 200GE is maybe 20% faster. You make it sound as if it was twice as fast. :)

Furthermore, it seems idle power draw varies a lot. I've seen reviews stating it's on part with Intel's CPUs:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1698-amd-athlon-200ge/page2.html
and reviews with much higher figures:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Athlon_200_GE/16.html

I don't know the reason, but a high variance actually is expected. After all 200GE is made of leftovers that didn't make it to CPUs higher in the lineup. This issue is built into the idea of Zen.
This budget version of a failing architecture from 5+ years ago should have died, but somehow BIOSTAR just insist of making new products based on it
Yet, AMD is still making this and few other FX CPUs.
Why don't you meditate on that instead of mocking Biostar? :)

Last edited:
System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
I agree with other commenters, this is a dud. When you consider that the board needs a case, RAM, storage, a Windows license maybe, then spending $50 more to get a proper AM4 board and Ryzen first gen or the new APUs is a no-brainer. This board has no upgrade potential, and will feel very slow for even casual use. I know not everyone has access to deals like this, but at Microcenter you can get a Ryzen 5 1600 and a B450 board for $120. If you need an iGPU, you can go with the Ryzen 3 2200G for the same cost. When you can get 200% better performance from 50% more money, your budget option just doesn't make sense.

I agree with other commenters, this is a dud. When you consider that the board needs a case, RAM, storage, a Windows license maybe, then spending $50 more to get a proper AM4 board and Ryzen first gen or the new APUs is a no-brainer. This board has no upgrade potential, and will feel very slow for even casual use. I know not everyone has access to deals like this, but at Microcenter you can get a Ryzen 5 1600 and a B450 board for $120. If you need an iGPU, you can go with the Ryzen 3 2200G for the same cost. When you can get 200% better performance from 50% more money, your budget option just doesn't make sense.
Assuming this mobo will likely be used in thin clients and low-end USFF PCs, I don't really understand the suggestion to get a Ryzen 5 1600...
Computers aren't only for gamers. They also have to fit into situation where small, quiet and CHEAP system is needed.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121

The cost of the board with an SOC is $90. I doubt you can get a board and a R5 1600 for $120.

System Name Baxter
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Case Raijintek Ophion
Assuming this mobo will likely be used in thin clients and low-end USFF PCs, I don't really understand the suggestion to get a Ryzen 5 1600...
Computers aren't only for gamers. They also have to fit into situation where small, quiet and CHEAP system is needed.

Ryzen 1600 uses 65 watts, and you could lower that by restricting the multiplier to 30 or less and still be way faster than this piece of crap. Ryzen 2200G also uses 65 watts with the GPU included, and likewise you could restrict power usage just by lowering multipliers. You'd have to look pretty hard for a situation where 65 watts is too much heat but ~47 isn't. Arguably, the Ryzens would be quieter too since they're not relying on some tiny no-name fan.

Seriously, I have a hard time envisioning a single SFF case that would preclude using a 65 watt processor.

The cost of the board with an SOC is $90. I doubt you can get a board and a R5 1600 for $120.

I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 and an AsRock B450M Pro4 for $120 + tax at Microcenter last month. The deal is still going. So yes it is possible. And even if you can't hit that price, you could get a new Athlon and a cheapo AM4 board for a similar price.

Processor Core i5-6500
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black
Video Card(s) Radeon HD7970
Display(s) 2x BenQ E2200HD
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Mouse Mad Catz M.M.O.TE
Keyboard Coolermaster Quickfire TK MX Blue
Software Windows 10 64bit
This is awesome. I can't think of another Plattform with this much Power at this Low Power draw and cost. I'm already thinking of getting one as a HTPC

System Name Baxter
Case Raijintek Ophion
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZzmdV6

There you go, an actually modern AM4 AMD processor with board, at $125. There's no reason to save $35 and go with a shit-tier processor and motherboard that you can't even upgrade. And this Athlon is at 35 Watts, so it's the same exact thermal profile as this board and processor.

Ryzen 1600 uses 65 watts, and you could lower that by restricting the multiplier to 30 or less and still be way faster than this piece of crap. Ryzen 2200G also uses 65 watts with the GPU included, and likewise you could restrict power usage just by lowering multipliers. You'd have to look pretty hard for a situation where 65 watts is too much heat but ~47 isn't. Arguably, the Ryzens would be quieter too since they're not relying on some tiny no-name fan.
Why would anyone buy a more expensive CPU and dial it down when a cheaper, off-the-shelf product is available? :eek:

Also, you once again miss the point. This is a product for situation where more power isn't needed. It's not a "piece of crap". It's just a cheap and slow computer. There is a market for these.
Seriously, I have a hard time envisioning a single SFF case that would preclude using a 65 watt processor.
Yeah, I can see that.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-n-workstations/7060-micro/spd/optiplex-7060-micro

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZzmdV6

There you go, an actually modern AM4 AMD processor with board, at $125. There's no reason to save $35 and go with a shit-tier processor and motherboard that you can't even upgrade. And this Athlon is at 35 Watts, so it's the same exact thermal profile as this board and processor.
LOL. It's mATX.
The cheapest mITX AM4 mobo listed on pcpartpicker is this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6qWfrH/asrock-a320m-itx-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-a320m-itx
$99 - more than the Biostar mobo+CPU set. Get a grip!

System Name Baxter
Case Raijintek Ophion
Why would anyone buy a more expensive CPU and dial it down when a cheaper, off-the-shelf product is available? :eek:

Also, you once again miss the point. This is a product for situation where more power isn't needed. It's not a "piece of crap". It's just a cheap and slow computer. There is a market for these.

Yeah, I can see that.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-n-workstations/7060-micro/spd/optiplex-7060-micro

Show me where you can buy that case and I'd agree with you. But you can't, and so you'd be stuck buying an aftermarket case, and there's no aftermarket case in the world that would be unable to cool an Athlon 220GE like the one I linked above, or a 2200G. This Biostar product is a piece of shit and I would imagine that most people who would even be able to source a board like this would rather spend an extra $30 and get something that is much more powerful, supported, and upgradeable.

Show me where you can buy that case and I'd agree with you.
You couldn't envision such a case, so I covered that.

That said, here's one you can buy:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...e=Chassis&type_sub=Mini ITX&model=AK-ITX04-BK

Countless companies make small computing cases that won't go past 35W. That's why Intel makes -T CPUs. Not all of these cases are available on the market - some are custom made for enterprise clients.
But you can't, and so you'd be stuck buying an aftermarket case, and there's no aftermarket case in the world that would be unable to cool an Athlon 220GE like the one I linked above, or a 2200G. This Biostar product is a piece of shit and I would imagine that most people who would even be able to source a board like this would rather spend an extra $30 and get something that is much more powerful, supported, and upgradeable.
Again: why would they want something more powerful? Maybe they don't need more performance? You really don't get this, do you?
Moooorrrre poweeerrrr!!!

People here seem to willingly not understand the point i was making at the start of this thread. I'll make it easier.

This product is 90$. It has a very old CPU in it, similar in strength to dual-core Ivy-Bridge pentiums, and a motherboard which does not allow it to be upgrade-able. '
This product was meant for budget systems, right?

Here's the problem. The current Athlon 200GE can be found with its cooler for 50$. A competible board could be found in sales for 40-50$. This option is:
  1. Upgradeable
  2. Tweakable
  3. has 50%+ speed in apps
  4. has a powerful and relevant built-in GPU with proper driver support
  5. Has power consumption that is actually similar
  6. Has way more, and newer outputs and expend-ability
Saving those 10-20$ now would critically harm the user's current, and future experience with the system, and make them spend more money, and sooner. There is no actual savings here.

Product is DOA. And regarding BIOSTAR, yes. I was honest, BIOSTAR seems like a mess, with recent product launches like these, that i'm actually sure are posted on TPU to generate discussions just about how ludicrous you have to be as a hardware company to come up with them these days. Their GPU division is unoriginal and coolers are lacking and get bombarded with bad reviews, Their Motherboard division always seem to lag behind the rest with componentry and software. This company should not exist in 2019. It goes against every rule of survival in this industry.

System Name Baxter
Case Raijintek Ophion
You couldn't envision such a case, so I covered that.

That said, here's one you can buy:
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Chassis&type_sub=Mini ITX&model=AK-ITX04-BK

Countless companies make small computing cases that won't go past 35W. That's why Intel makes -T CPUs. Not all of these cases are available on the market - some are custom made for enterprise clients.

Again: why would they want something more powerful? Maybe they don't need more performance? You really don't get this, do you?
Moooorrrre poweeerrrr!!!

The case you linked is for thin Mini-ITX boards. This is not one of those boards. So the case you linked wouldn't work for this product. Keep looking, I guess!

If you can get the Microcenter deal, then this product is useless. If you can't, you might have to spend $60 more. I still think that's worth getting a modern chipset and chip. The Athlon 200GE, 220GE, and 240GE all perform better than an FX8800P and will stay at 35 W. I just can't believe you're defending such a low-powered chip by saying more power at the same TDP and similar pricepoint is not worth it.

Here's the problem. The current Athlon 200GE can be found with its cooler for 50$. A competible board could be found in sales for 40-50$.
Show me an AM4 mITX mobo for $50. :)

1. Upgradeable
2. Tweakable
Totally irrelevant.
3. has 50%+ speed in apps
4. has a powerful and relevant built-in GPU with proper driver support
May or may not be relevant.
5. Has power consumption that is actually similar
At full load maybe. In idle that mobile FX will use a lot less.
6. Has way more, and newer outputs and expend-ability
Of course it has, but for a price premium.
As for outputs: this Biostar has a digital video (HDMI 1.4), analog video (VGA), USB 3, PS/2 and LAN. It's OK - fairly close to Intel NUC competition.
That said, I'm surprised they didn't add an RS-232. It would be even more interesting.
The case you linked is for thin Mini-ITX boards. This is not one of those boards.
You're right! Sorry.
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...is&type_sub=Active Mini ITX&model=AK-ITX03BK#
If you can get the Microcenter deal, then this product is useless. If you can't, you might have to spend $60 more. I still think that's worth getting a modern chipset and chip.
Why would anyone spend extra $60 for performance he doesn't need?

I mean: there's a very fundamental issue in this discussion.
Do you acknowledge the fact that some computers are bought to do a very particular task, which (by today's standards) may have very low performance needs?
That these computers will do this task for their whole lifetime - with no "upgrading" or "tinkering" on the way? And when they die, they'll be replaced with similarly cheap products?

Because this is a product that targets this kind of demand. And if you don't understand this niche, there's no way I can convince you people buy such cheap PCs.
I bet you also think low-end Intel NUCs are pointless. Correct?

@notb this is not a piece of special hardware. This is a budget board for budget computers for very, very budget uses. Modern office and web uses by today's standards will be a hard enough job for this. For the crazy premium of 10$ you get so much more as a base for the system, that its just laughable to recommend this to people for cheap computers.

Again, this is not a special piece of hardware meant for ultra compact computing for enthusiasts, since it severely lacks the compute power to do so.
Calling all the important stuff "irrelevant" is a nice way to argue viability. I might just try it myself to get out of situations.

Some of the most important aspects of affordable PCs is initial power and sustainability. This trash lacks both.

BoiseTech

You are all a bunch of whiny bitches. Yes, more powerful, higher TDP, more expensive CPU's are more powerful....

This has a specific demographic and use case, if you aren't it or don't have a need then don't buy it. I for one think its pretty impressive... Good hell I'm glad you guys don't write these article reviews.

Thank you TPU for providing an article for this product, I enjoyed it, and might buy one of these to tinker with.

This has a specific demographic and use case, if you aren't it or don't have a need then don't buy it. I for one think its pretty impressive... Good hell I'm glad you guys don't write these article reviews.

Can you let us in on the secret society of people who prefer one 35W SoC over another of the same TDP, albeit 5 years older and very lackluster set of features? Maybe it opens some portal to a dimension where it gains twice the performance and all the advantages of the other option that is very closely priced. Let us in?

BoiseTech

Can you let us in on the secret society of people who prefer one 35W SoC over another of the same TDP, albeit 5 years older and very lackluster set of features? Maybe it opens some portal to a dimension where it gains twice the performance and all the advantages of the other option that is very closely priced. Let us in?

Can you find me a m-itx combo for $88 with similar or better performance? Maybe price is the determining factor here. You can't look at one aspect and cry "crap" when there are multiple reasons for wanting/needing something.

You can't look at one aspect and cry "crap" when there are multiple reasons for wanting/needing something.
But that's exactly what the counter arguers do here. "But MITX, MITX this, MITX that". Being of a slightly smaller form factor is the only thing going for this very outdated system. Not suiting most modern uses alongside pretty much a huge stack of disadvantages is the other. Winning in form factor, losing in just about any other aspect hardware-wise. There's a hard limit to how much a customer should lose to gain in size, here's the loss is quite sizable for just about any market, even including the super low-power uses of a file server, plex.

BoiseTech

But that's exactly what the counter arguers do here. "But MITX, MITX this, MITX that". Being of a slightly smaller form factor is the only thing going for this very outdated system. Not suiting most modern uses alongside pretty much a huge stack of disadvantages is the other. Winning in form factor, losing in just about any other aspect hardware-wise.

Okay, find me an m-atx or atx system with similar performance/features for $88 brand new retail, no sale items.

System Name Baxter
Case Raijintek Ophion