• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Theory of Consciousness, Latency and VR

Space Lynx

Astronaut
My thinking is this:

As refresh rates go higher, we tend to get lower latency. Is that directly related to consciousness is my question? Think about this for a moment just don't have a knee jerk reaction to me please, they are just thoughts, I am not claiming anything to be true.

Now that we have 240hz 0.5ms monitors, and computer hardware seems to be still scaling even if Moore's Law is somewhat dead... I remember reading about processors that use light, or maybe even this type of technology being scaled to CPU's in the future Indium Photons

My thinking is that the human brain gives us consciousness because we have no to little latency because of the light/neurons... (so like when under an MRI they can see certain parts of the brain light up, etc).

Now does this idea scale you think? Like current definitions of AI don't interest me, to me it is just a bunch of If statements, but if there is no self-awareness and no ability to have original thought, then it is not AI to me. However, I am optimistic AI can exist within even my harder definition of it. In the far far future, like where fiber optic light signals are not just for data, but are applied to CPU hardware, etc...

I am a bit lost what I am even trying to ask here... any help is welcome, but I really think I am on to something. Latency seems to be directly related to consciousness, and also when we game at higher refresh rates we seem to become more immersed in the game... if this keeps scaling in the next 50 years, especially with VR and Augmented Reality... the immersion may become so addicting... inevitably so. The really interesting thing to me is, AI and what it really does become self-aware, like what is consciousness? What makes me want to even type this question to you on a message board? Would an AI ever have a question? Maybe in order to be an AI it needs to be able to ask questions it can't answer, is that consciousness/self-awareness?

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
You can have consciousness even if you are blind,deaf, mute all at once since your birth it doesn't matter at all, and about AI only time will tell when a self aware human made "brain" will be born.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You can have consciousness even if you are blind,deaf, mute all at once since your birth it doesn't matter at all, and about AI only time will tell when a self aware human made "brain" will be born.

Does consciousness require touch then? Or does it require at least one of the five senses? or 6 senses if we want to include magnetic fields for navigation

What does latency and self consciousness have to do with each other ?
How exactely consciousness is related to the latency within which your brain perceives the surrounding environment ?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
What does latency and self consciousness have to do with each other ?
How exactely consciousness is related to the latency within which your brain perceives the surrounding environment ?

These are the questions I am trying to answer.

Tell me this good sir, when you play a game like Witcher 3 on a playstation 4 at 60hz 1080p, do you feel the same amount of immersion, or less amount of immersion then when playing on a high end PC at 144hz ultra low motion blur? Where you can no longer see sword blur, everything becomes fluid due to the reduced latency - you can in essence, imo, become more immersed with the high end computer, reduced latency, and ultra high refresh rates and/or ultra low motion blur technology.

Embodiment from the phenomena of immersion is one thing that interests me, but I am having trouble articulating it.

and the 5 senses, shaping our brains over millenia, 0 latency in the brain, this is key to survival any species, like when I see a snake from corner of my eye, my body jumps out of the way before I can even perceive the snake as a threat -

Feel free to banter with me on this, I think there is something here, something about our self-aware state of being - in direct relation to the way our brains have 0 latency, and if AI ever wants to truly become AI, it will need to reach a 0 latency state - not being slowed down by copper, silicon, etc.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Removed the back and forth. Stay on topic and refrain from arguing.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
You could philosophise about consciousness all day long. But, to me at least, it is simply the ability to conceive of oneself within your own reality. To be aware of your own thought process is to experience consciousness. Latency is an experience of delay. Some scientists suggest that the experience of deja vu is when the brain and the senses have a delay in processing or some form of dual cognition of a single event. If true, it would suggest latency is not relevant to consciousness. In fact, all physical systems, of which the brain is one, suffer from a latency - thought is not instantaneous. A thought is a neuro-chemical process and all chemical processes have timings.

You say 0 latency but that is not possible. We ourselves are slowed by the very neural wiring and signal impulses that energy is required to create.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
I agree that low latency and high fps contribute to immersion significantly.when I play a fps game in ulmb mode and at 120 fps or higher it almost feels like reality.of course realistic game mechanics and movement have to be there in the first place for it to work.
but I think what the OP considers as the reason for consciousness is rather a condition for it to function properly.I don't think there's a reason to begin with,and if there is it's irrelevant.I don't have to question myself why I'm conscious to experience what I experience. It's not why,it's how,and it's probably many factors that have to contribute though what lynx suggests may be one of the most important ones.
I like your thinking,in that the question of what conditions have to be met for us to able to experience virtual reality as close to own consciousness as possible.Like I said,you don't have to worry about the reason for why we're conscious,you have to meet the same conditions that allow us to expeirence reality.

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
The neurons in your neural system requires a minimum amount input per second for your brain to persuade you it is real. There is also the max amount your brain can handle.

I suggest you start researching from either PubMed or Google Scholar. Start from review papers and then proccees to research articles

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Thanks for the input and comments everyone, I am currently researching a lot of this. I informed my professor of this idea, and he recommended I read Merleau Ponty 'Phenomenology of Perception'.

Also, if anyone is curious about this idea being applied to modern philosophy, look up some videos on YouTube with Hubert Dreyfus, he is a sort of semi-expert on Merleau-Ponty and really articulates what I am trying to apply to this latency theory.

Disclaimer: I am in process of finishing Master's and applying for PhD, as of 3 weeks ago this topic has received preliminary approval by the head of the program... so that is promising at least. I am still thinking though, just was curious what you guys thought. I make no claim this idea is even any good, but I feel like something really big is there, and that is something worth pursuing to me. Keep in mind philosophy topics have more flexibility than other majors, so I am well aware I won't be able to prove this thesis.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
These are the questions I am trying to answer.

Tell me this good sir, when you play a game like Witcher 3 on a playstation 4 at 60hz 1080p, do you feel the same amount of immersion, or less amount of immersion then when playing on a high end PC at 144hz ultra low motion blur? Where you can no longer see sword blur, everything becomes fluid due to the reduced latency - you can in essence, imo, become more immersed with the high end computer, reduced latency, and ultra high refresh rates and/or ultra low motion blur technology.

Embodiment from the phenomena of immersion is one thing that interests me, but I am having trouble articulating it.

and the 5 senses, shaping our brains over millenia, 0 latency in the brain, this is key to survival any species, like when I see a snake from corner of my eye, my body jumps out of the way before I can even perceive the snake as a threat -

Feel free to banter with me on this, I think there is something here, something about our self-aware state of being - in direct relation to the way our brains have 0 latency, and if AI ever wants to truly become AI, it will need to reach a 0 latency state - not being slowed down by copper, silicon, etc.
But brains do actually have latency plus fuzzy logic ,fighter pilots have the least latency but it's not 0 and they can still only react or take in one thing at a time.
And Ai with 0 latency would be less likely to be correct since it can't have considered many variables.
Perhaps quantum Ai could get near.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
As refresh rates go higher, we tend to get lower latency.
Refresh rate is given as a fraction: Hz = per second. Latencies are usually given in MS which is 1000 per second. 240 Hz = 1000 / 240 = 4.167 ms per frame.

In order for 240 Hz to not have duplicate frames, everything working to generate a frame has to be completed in less than that time. One also needs to consider that LCD panels require time to display the image once it is received.

My thinking is that the human brain gives us consciousness because we have no to little latency because of the light/neurons... (so like when under an MRI they can see certain parts of the brain light up, etc).
There's many different methods to image brain function and they all work differently (e.g. fMRI measures changes in blood flow, while EEG measure electrical activity):
https://psychcentral.com/lib/types-of-brain-imaging-techniques/

Light is really only understood by the eyes which convert the light into electrical impulses the brain interprets. It's the neural synapses in the brain working the magic. People with perfectly good eyes can become blind due to brain damage.

Now does this idea scale you think? Like current definitions of AI don't interest me, to me it is just a bunch of If statements, but if there is no self-awareness and no ability to have original thought, then it is not AI to me. However, I am optimistic AI can exist within even my harder definition of it. In the far far future, like where fiber optic light signals are not just for data, but are applied to CPU hardware, etc...
I don't think photons have much use for computing because to manufacture such a processor on a scale that is competitive with current processors would be a daunting (if not impossible) task. It wouldn't necessarily be more efficient than current processors either.

As for AI...the ironic thing is that that problem and solution is quite simple: computers up until recently have been designed to always make 1+1=2. If they don't get that result, they were considered defective. With AI, you just let physics play a greater role. Sometimes 1+1= 2.1. Sometimes 1+1 = 1.9. Those little, unintentional variances are to a measurable degree consistent for the hardware they are tested on. This is fundamentally how deep learning hardware works (it embraces those nuances instead of dismissing them as wrong).

Now if we're aiming to make a synthetic brain, that's much harder, because transistors lack elasticity that neurons have. This is an area of active research. There has been some successes but, as far as I know, this field is mostly under lock and key. These are the types of AI that can become self-aware because they intellectually grow with trial and error (or training).

I am a bit lost what I am even trying to ask here... any help is welcome, but I really think I am on to something. Latency seems to be directly related to consciousness, and also when we game at higher refresh rates we seem to become more immersed in the game... if this keeps scaling in the next 50 years, especially with VR and Augmented Reality... the immersion may become so addicting... inevitably so. The really interesting thing to me is, AI and what it really does become self-aware, like what is consciousness? What makes me want to even type this question to you on a message board? Would an AI ever have a question? Maybe in order to be an AI it needs to be able to ask questions it can't answer, is that consciousness/self-awareness?
It's not consciousness nor immersion. It's simply more fluid: better mimicking reality so the brain has an easier time interpreting what the eyes are sending.

As for your last questions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

Does consciousness require touch then? Or does it require at least one of the five senses? or 6 senses if we want to include magnetic fields for navigation
No, but consciousness requires stimuli -> response. If there's no senses, there is no stimuli, so how can a response be tested? That said, a dragonfly proves that a brain can do something based on stimulus without consciousness. Their aim on prey is a reflexive system.

So what is consciousness? I think it's directly associated with memory. Take a drug like midazolam (Versed). From the time it is administered to the time your body filters it out, you have no recollection of what happened in that period. You were alert and responsive to stimuli under the influence of it (e.g. if someone asked you to raise your hand and you had no objections to doing so, you would, but not recall it) but you, yourself believe you were sleeping even though you physically were not. Conscious, therefore, I think is a matter of perspective and context. It's not a clear cut thing.

Broadly: I got as immersed in The Legend of Zelda at 29.97 fps on an NES as I do in a game like Space Engineers at 120 fps. That's really going to come down to how easy your persistence of vision is to fool. If you get motion sick, you're not going to get very immersed, for example. There is a threshold though where any higher framerate isn't going to yield tangible benefits. Casual tests between 120 -> 144 -> 240 Hz have repeatedly shown this. There's some people out there that can reliably sense between 144 Hz and 240 Hz but they're few and far between.

Seriously: I'd like to see a double-blind, published study of Hz testing where the application is always guaranteed to produce exactly the number of frames the monitor is receiving. A lot of people that may claim to be able to see a difference might actually just be picking up on a shift of the GPU framerate rather than that of the monitor.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I think Descartes has a simple answer for you. "I think, therefore I am", in other words, you could say an AI possesses its own conscience when it is capable of independent thought. I don't think latency has anything to do with it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think Descartes has a simple answer for you. "I think, therefore I am", in other words, you could say an AI possesses its own conscience when it is capable of independent thought. I don't think latency has anything to do with it.

Yes this indeed makes sense, but I still think latency is involved, if you read some Phenomenologists, you might have a better picture of where I am going with this, the problem with reading these philosophers is that they are very difficult, my professor is an expert on them, but I am struggling quite a bit in discussions with him on it.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
when AI reaches consciousness its not AI anymore its a sentient being and all bets are off.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
when AI reaches consciousness its not AI anymore its a sentient being and all bets are off.

this is not at all what I am trying to prove with my thesis though, I appreciate your input though. I am specifically trying to find a link between latency, increased immersion, and a self-aware state of being. I feel like even though I can only have one or two thoughts at a time... it is the latency of the neurons in my brain being so low that allows for this, animals also have no to little latency for automated tasks, but I am specifically wanting to focus on what part of our brain lights up when we have deep thoughts about the cosmos for example.

I really need an MRI study that shows different parts of the brain lighting up under certain questions and probings, ---actually I don't need this, trying to explain myself a bit better is all. cheers mate - fyi I am currently in Bristol, UK - not far from ya!

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
just free thinking mate, ye your just down the road, whats the weather like in bristol ? cloudy and rain here in carmarthen, darn weather its my Nemesis.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'd say you're on a bit of a side-track with relating this to VR and latency. Consciousness isn't something we can define clearly (though many have tried), but it definitely relates to the brain's ability to receive and respond to stimuli while also recording memories of said stimuli - though how, to what degree, in what form, and where the limits are is likely impossible to pinpoint (after all, a word like "consciousness" is nothing more than a simplification of the confluence of a myriad of interdependent and interrelated processes, all of which have variance). Humans are visually-oriented as vision is our dominant sense (though our sense of time is equally important, if harder to pinpoint and more vague), but that doesn't mean that vision or visual latency has any direct (causal or not) relation to consciousness. And while there's likely something like a lower limit to how quickly something needs to be able to process input to be deemed conscious, calling this "latency" is rather odd, as that term is inherently bound to an input-output type of process - and what, exactly, is the "output" of consciousness? Are we not conscious unless we are acting? Or is "thought" an output - and if so, how do you differentiate human thought from other electrobiological processes in non-conscious animal or insect brains? A more general term like "processing speed" seems more applicable.

Related to this: the human brain has very significant latency - our processing of visual input is near-immediate, but other senses are significantly slower, and translating sensory data into action has significant lag. This seems to scale with brain size, as insects and other small-brained creatures are generally faster - but of course have less complex brains and are as such "dumber".

Also, your tangent into MRIs and photons seems like a conflation of humans shaping tools to work with and mimic human senses with light somehow being fundamental to how the world and/or consciousness works. There is after all nothing inherently visual about an MRI - the initial signals and readings go through highly complex translations before a visual output is formed. The only reason MRIs "make parts of the brain light up" is because we've made them translate certain types of signals into specific forms of output that is then "readable" by humans (given the right training, at least), and "lighting up" is a form that makes sense in a visually dominated sensory complex (especially when coupled with visually oriented representational technologies such as prints, monitors, and so on).

All in all: it's entirely possible to conceive of a form of consciousness that isn't dependent upon visual stimuli or visual processing, and as such linking any theory of consciousness to media and tools developed to mimic and/or stimulate the human sensorium would be fundamentally flawed. VR is convincing because it stimulates the dominant human senses in a convincing manner that mimics how we sense the world around us outside of VR. This has nothing to do with consciousness itself on a more general level, except the simple fact that the human sensorium is how our form of consciousness is used to perceiving the world. Linking this to human-made technology thus becomes tautological, as all you're really then saying is "technology developed to stimulate the human sensorium in a manner similar to how it normally perceives the world is more convincing to the human sensorium".

I think reading Merleau-Ponty and other phenomenologists is a good idea, but as you seem to want to focus on human-technology relations, looking into post-phenomenology would be a logical next step. One of the key takeaways from phenomenology that your initial idea seems to lack is that our thinking and perception of the world is inherently shaped by the sensory apparatus through which said world is perceived, and that different sensory configurations would thus necessarily influence thinking and perception differently.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
latency theory.

You think we are approaching low latency? Think again... Maybe you are familiar with this, take a few runs and you can see through the marketing bullshit of '0.5ms' which sort of is fundamental to your thought process here. Spoiler: human reaction time (our very own 'button to pixel lag') is averaged at about 200ms. On a focused, repetitive 'muscle memory' job, you might get a best-case of 50~100ms; ie fighter pilot material.

https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Then, let's look at button to pixel lag... and not the advertised ms which is only a tiny part of the pipeline...

At 240hz/FPS you already suffer 4.16ms (no Vsync) you simply cannot avoid due to screen refresh. A 0.5ms panel only puts that 0.5ms number under 'Display response time'. So really, going from 4ms to 0.5ms is an extremely minor win if you consider the entire pipeline.

1555326077562.png

And thén, let's consider this article too - note the irony here: ancient operating systems had much lower latencies long before fast monitors were a thing ;) Best case scenario here is probably 30ms from 'CPU time/OS' at 240hz (note the haswell-e results)
https://danluu.com/input-lag/

1555326139693.png

Food for thought :)

But in your premise I think you are confusing 'perception' and 'consciousness' on a fundamental level. I think @the54thvoid said it best.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@Vayra86 Thank you for all of that, it is indeed food for thought. This entire thesis might collapse honestly, but just fyi, it doesn't actually have to prove anything my professor said, it just has to explore but be able to play around with some questions, not necessarily answer them... this is a philosophy major after all, the writing is a bit different compared to most Master's Thesis's

I am not trying to exactly prove latency right now in our current state is the key to it all, I am trying to argue (I think, this is still a work in progress), that latency plays a key role in consciousness, and that perhaps, in the future, if we do get a light based processor, and fiber optics are the data to that photon light processor, it is possible that the reduced latency of say a future supercomputer (none right now or even 20 years from now, I understand this technology does not exist yet) could possibly become sentient, because a limiting factor is not only coding languages but the latency itself. What if in order to even have the thoughts to type this to you now, there is a pre-requisite of no to little latency within my brain... otherwise I would not be able to come up with said thoughts? Even if it was increased by a millisecond or two with alcohol, I would not be as effective, because my latency would be reduced.

crap... my brain is hurting. alright I am taking a break from this and stepping away for a few days, it is the only way I am going to figure out how to articulate myself. apologies everyone.

perception and consciousness is at the core of what I am trying to understand as well Vayra. if you read Merleu-Ponty Phenomenology of Perception, there is a lot of work done on this in his book, it is highly respected among a lot of contemporary philosophers. I still have to read 3/4 of it, not very far in, but I definitely think there is some interesting stuff here. my professor thanks so too, though he is wanting me to stay away from conciousness, and mostly focus on how technology is scaling year over year, and immersion within gaming is increasing - so I need to focus on that, stay small and just kind of branch from there, but keep my focus on immersion.

one of my key arguments though does make sense to me - when I game Witcher 3 on console, or PC at 60hz, its fun sure, but not nearly as immersive as when I do it on say a high end 165hz 1440p monitor with a 1080 ti, etc. Ponty talks a lot about color calibration, optimal distance for viewing something, etc. this applies to modern day as well, and I am trying to apply it to gaming technology, and will it keep scaling like it has been... I am not saying right now latency is good, I am saying it keeps getting better, and as it does so too will immersion increase.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Feels like you are having TPU folks developping your PhD chapters for you lol. Are we gonna get acknowledgements in your PhD quals?

Also r u neuroscience track?

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am not trying to exactly prove latency right now in our current state is the key to it all, I am trying to argue (I think, this is still a work in progress), that latency plays a key role in consciousness, and that perhaps, in the future, if we do get a light based processor, and fiber optics are the data to that photon light processor, it is possible that the reduced latency of say a future supercomputer (none right now or even 20 years from now, I understand this technology does not exist yet) could possibly become sentient, because a limiting factor is not only coding languages but the latency itself. What if in order to even have the thoughts to type this to you now, there is a pre-requisite of no to little latency within my brain... otherwise I would not be able to come up with said thoughts? Even if it was increased by a millisecond or two with alcohol, I would not be as effective, because my latency would be reduced.
I promised myself I wouldn't spend more time on this right now, but this needs a response: the signaling in our brains is electrical, not photonic. This undermines the entire premise of the quoted paragraph, as this makes it obvious that there is nothing stopping electrical signalling from creating consciousness, ergo one could with some certainty say that there is nothing intrinsic in electrical signalling barring consciousness from happening. Sure, our brains have astronomically higher compute density than a supercomputer, and a smaller unit = shorter wiring = less latency, but electrical vs. photonic signalling is not the key here.

As for reducing the effects of alcohol on the brain to "added latency", well ... that's what we might call a gross oversimplification.

And, again: the goal of higher framerates and faster response times is to better mimic how the human sensorium perceives the world. Reversing this into a philosophy of consciousness is a very significant leap, which disregards the entirety of how all human technology is itself fundamentally designed to interact with and mimic/enhance/stimulate the human sensorium. To use a very clumsy analogy, what you're saying sounds to me like saying "Coffee is hot, therefore heat is what makes coffee" - a statement that while it sounds superficially true (most brewing methods do require heat), heat is not a necessity (cold-brew coffee is delicious), and there are quite a few other fundamental requirements left out of this statement (coffee grounds (which are themselves the product of a long and complex process of growing, harvesting, drying, roasting, grinding), water, a brewing vessel, a filter, time, a drinking vessel, etc.).

It might be that a certain degree of low "latency" (I'd call it high processing speed, but okay) is required for something we could identify as consciousness (though it's entirely possible to imagine a consciousness working on such a slow/long time scale that it wouldn't register as functioning whatsoever to a human perception of time), but you're framing it as if this is the key to consciousness, which I feel quite comfortable stating that it isn't - as, as with most phenomena, there isn't likely to be a key, but rather a highly complex and interrelated set of requirements where each one has a significant degree of variance, where not all combinations might work, and where not all factors that help are necessary. Latency/processing speed sounds likely as one factor (as the ability to process input at speed is a rather useful survival trait, to put it mildly), but it doesn't trump all the other relevant factors - as I said in my last post, there are plenty of low-latency, non-conscious brains out there. Exploring this idea further is likely productive and useful, but your wording and the angle of your line of argumentation seems to have quite a few base assumptions that haven't been addressed properly, particularly you seem to express a view of technology as "neutral" or otherwise not fundamentally shaped by humans and thus by how humans perceive the world, which is a very serious flaw.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I promised myself I wouldn't spend more time on this right now, but this needs a response: the signaling in our brains is electrical, not photonic. This undermines the entire premise of the quoted paragraph, as this makes it obvious that there is nothing stopping electrical signalling from creating consciousness, ergo one could with some certainty say that there is nothing intrinsic in electrical signalling barring consciousness from happening. Sure, our brains have astronomically higher compute density than a supercomputer, and a smaller unit = shorter wiring = less latency, but electrical vs. photonic signalling is not the key here.

As for reducing the effects of alcohol on the brain to "added latency", well ... that's what we might call a gross oversimplification.

And, again: the goal of higher framerates and faster response times is to better mimic how the human sensorium perceives the world. Reversing this into a philosophy of consciousness is a very significant leap, which disregards the entirety of how all human technology is itself fundamentally designed to interact with and mimic/enhance/stimulate the human sensorium. To use a very clumsy analogy, what you're saying sounds to me like saying "Coffee is hot, therefore heat is what makes coffee" - a statement that while it sounds superficially true (most brewing methods do require heat), heat is not a necessity (cold-brew coffee is delicious), and there are quite a few other fundamental requirements left out of this statement (coffee grounds (which are themselves the product of a long and complex process of growing, harvesting, drying, roasting, grinding), water, a brewing vessel, a filter, time, a drinking vessel, etc.).

It might be that a certain degree of low "latency" (I'd call it high processing speed, but okay) is required for something we could identify as consciousness (though it's entirely possible to imagine a consciousness working on such a slow/long time scale that it wouldn't register as functioning whatsoever to a human perception of time), but you're framing it as if this is the key to consciousness, which I feel quite comfortable stating that it isn't - as, as with most phenomena, there isn't likely to be a key, but rather a highly complex and interrelated set of requirements where each one has a significant degree of variance, where not all combinations might work, and where not all factors that help are necessary. Latency/processing speed sounds likely as one factor (as the ability to process input at speed is a rather useful survival trait, to put it mildly), but it doesn't trump all the other relevant factors - as I said in my last post, there are plenty of low-latency, non-conscious brains out there. Exploring this idea further is likely productive and useful, but your wording and the angle of your line of argumentation seems to have quite a few base assumptions that haven't been addressed properly, particularly you seem to express a view of technology as "neutral" or otherwise not fundamentally shaped by humans and thus by how humans perceive the world, which is a very serious flaw.

Thank you for sharing this, I am learning a lot! I am a bit confused though, because electricity is light in one of it's forms... when I see electricity it creates light, does it not? So the idea of light as the lowest latency is still accurate?

Feels like you are having TPU folks developping your PhD chapters for you lol. Are we gonna get acknowledgements in your PhD quals?

Also r u neuroscience track?

Yes, I will thank everyone here actually if I actually write this. My professor is only giving me a trial run on it though. Most likely it will all collapse and I will switch thesis topics, currently I am considering switching to Stoicism and how Stoicism can help people in rehabilitation. It would be much easier to write and understand.

I already see this topic collapsing actually, so no worries at all XKM, and I was just trying to explore this idea, and share it with all of you to explore, I think something is there, even if I do fail at articulating it properly.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thank you for sharing this, I am learning a lot! I am a bit confused though, because electricity is light in one of it's forms... when I see electricity it creates light, does it not? So the idea of light as the lowest latency is still accurate?
I'm not a physicist, so I'll leave in-depth explanations to someone who knows what they're talking about, but no, electricity and light are not the same, even if they are related forms of energy. Electricity and electromagnetism are not visible, even if visible light is a part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Put very simply: there's no light inside of our brains, and in fact the chief job of some sensory organs (such as our eyes) is in fact transforming light into electrical signals. There's no visible difference between a live electrical wire and one that's not connected to anything. Unless the wire is so small it heats up and starts glowing, that is, but then you have a light bulb (or a fire).

I think it's a shame if you abandon this project, though - there's definitely a need for more scholarship on human-technology relations, and the field of post-phenomenology has plenty of highly interesting unanswered questions :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm not a physicist, so I'll leave in-depth explanations to someone who knows what they're talking about, but no, electricity and light are not the same, even if they are related forms of energy. Electricity and electromagnetism are not visible, even if visible light is a part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Put very simply: there's no light inside of our brains, and in fact the chief job of some sensory organs (such as our eyes) is in fact transforming light into electrical signals. There's no visible difference between a live electrical wire and one that's not connected to anything. Unless the wire is so small it heats up and starts glowing, that is, but then you have a light bulb (or a fire).

I think it's a shame if you abandon this project, though - there's definitely a need for more scholarship on human-technology relations, and the field of post-phenomenology has plenty of highly interesting unanswered questions :)

holy crap I never realised this... or well put two and two together. hmm this does change things, thank you for clarifying!