• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Service: Delid IvyBridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, Kabylake, Coffeelake CPUs

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

If you’ve found yourself on this page, there’s a strong possibility that you’re interested in de-lidding your Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Sky Lake, Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake CPU to obtain better thermals. Perhaps you’ve even de-lidded your CPU already and you’re just curious what this may be. In any case, whatever the reason, this is what I offer for you guys who may be too afraid to do it or may not possess the right tools or experience for the job.

Before we go any further, I must stress a few things and these are NOT going to change. I know that the vast majority of you know of the risks, but I need to be abruptly clear so that there is no misunderstanding. If you are not comfortable with this, perhaps it isn’t for you.

So, here are the risks that you must be fully aware of;
1) This is a service that I am providing on behalf of me, and no one else. The affiliated forum on which this is posted is in no way responsible for any issues that may arise. I’ve done my best to lay out the terms and conditions, and the possible consequences, as best as I can. I may have forgotten something here or there, so I reserve the right to change it as and when I wish.
2) I will not be held responsible for the procedure going wrong. I have tested the tool (De-lid Die Mate by der8auer) a number of times, all of which were pain free. This is ultimately the most important one that you comply with, or else there’s no sense in reading the rest. I can perform the procedure with a razorblade, but the best method is with the specially designed tool by Roman as it is quick and reduces the risk to almost zero;
3) This is and always will be a risky procedure;
4) Your warranty will be null and void (but see the ‘drawback’ further down);
5) I have the tools to make this as risk-free as possible, and the ability to do it quickly and efficiently;
6) I will not be held responsible for it going missing in the post. I use tracked (special) delivery methods to ensure that it doesn’t happen and tracking info will be provided at all times, and;
7) This is ultimately your decision. I have the tools and the abilities, but the above must be agreed before we can continue.

What are the benefits?
1) Lower temperatures by as much as 20 degrees Celsius, more so on Haswell and below (generation wise);
2) Increased longevity of your CPU, and;
3) Higher overclocks can be obtained, as much as 200 MHz more at the same voltage compared to non-de-lidded CPUs. Your mileage may vary, though!

What are the drawbacks?
1) There’s only one downside, but it is a big one. The drawback is that you will lose your warranty*. To the best of my knowledge, Intel will not cover a de-lidded CPU under warranty. However, I’ve heard reports that they do indeed cover it and people have successfully RMA’d their CPU(s) to Intel, even after admitting that it was de-lidded during the RMA request stage. However, if for whatever reason it does go wrong, and the CPU no longer POSTs, I will do my very best to get it rectified for you in whatever way that I can. I’m a firm believer of doing what I can to help, unlike some who may just say tough luck and leave you in the dark.

*Although you will officially lose your warranty, my resealing job is good enough to get past Intel's RMA process. While this is possible, I don't recommend it as they can reject your CPU for any reason. If it happens to die whilst I am performing the service, I will let you know immediately, and I will attempt an RMA if it is still in warranty.

What will be done before your CPU is de-lidded and returned?
All CPUs will be tested by me in one of my motherboards prior to me beginning the de-lidding process to eliminate the possibility of someone pointing the finger. The testing will include checking the idle and load temps on my equipment for approximately five minutes. I will record those temperatures before I begin. I will then retest the CPU after it has been de-lidded and make a note of the change in temperatures. The screenshots will be kept on file for proof. A copy shall be printed for you, and stuck inside the envelop upon its return.

How long will the process take?
I aim to get this done within 24 hours of receiving your CPU. I do however work a full time job, which will limit the amount of CPUs I can process in a day (if it were to get busy). Please don’t be too disheartened if I do not complete your request within 24 hours. I will do my best to do so, but it may take 48 hours. The CPU needs time to dry before I can remove it from the clamp and it also requires a bit of testing again to ensure it is fully functional before leaving my hands.

What shipping method should I use to send the CPU to you?
That is ultimately your choice. I would personally recommend using a tracked delivery service at the very least, but you can of course opt to use something cheaper if you so wish. I will, and always will, use a first class package with insurance to ensure that you get your CPU back in both a reasonable amount of time and have a tracking number to follow its progression.

What does it cost to de-lid my CPU(s)?
So, if you’ve stuck with this the whole way through, I suppose it is time to lay out the cards and tell you the pricing.

Option 1, with resealing and new paste:
1) The price is $30, which includes return shipping via the method mentioned previously;
2) The cost is a flat rate that is the same for any kind of mainstream (LGA115*) CPU;
3) Multiple CPUs will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below), and;
4) Return customers (I will be keeping records) will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below);

Option 2, without resealing and paste:
1) The price is $15, which includes return shipping via special delivery;
2) The cost is a flat rate that is the same for any kind of CPU;
3) Multiple CPUs will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below), and;
4) Return customers (I will be keeping records) will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below)

Option 3, with Rockit Cool Pure Copper IHS:
The pricing remains the same as above as you will need to purchase the IHS directly from Rockit Cool before shipping your processor to me. There are a few reasons for this. The main reason being that you can ship the two together to avoid minimal downtime. It also reduces the chances of stuff not arriving in time. You will need to ensure that you purchase the correct one as LGA 1150 and LGA 1151 have different heights and tolerances.

LGA 1150
LGA 1151

Steve reviewed their IHS previously, and it showed that you can expect around a 4 to 5c better result when using the Rockit Cool IHS. Click here for his review...

If you decide to go down this road, I will ship your original IHS back to you.

Discounts:
1) Two or more CPUs at once will see a 10% discount on both occasions, and $5 removed from the final fee as postage is then combined, which saves us both money;
2) Repeat customers will receive 20% discount on their orders. There is no limit as to how many times you can take advantage of this. This cannot be combined with the first discount.

What I ask of you in this post:
Please do not post if you are not interested in such a service. If you are genuinely interested in it but you have a few questions, do not hesitate to ask within this thread. I will reply to any questions within 12 hours of their posting. I’m not asking for a lot here. Please be respectful. This is ultimately a service to benefit this forum base, and hopefully bring a few more here through Google as well.

One final thing that I'd like to say is that I used to run this service whilst I was in the UK, and I had numerous happy customers.

Additional service for even higher temperature reduction
This will involve lapping of your CPU - but this is nowhere near as beneficial as delidding. I need to work on this, but it’s coming in the near future...

For other mods on the forum: I cleared this with W1zzard before posting. He advised me to post it in this forum to see if it gets any attention.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Allow me to be the first to say hats off to you, sir.

Would there be any possibility of including one of those fancy replacement copper heatspreaders?

If that’s something you (or anyone else for that matter) would desire, I can absolutely replace the regular one with a copper one. It should be noted that all heat spreaders are copper with a nickel coating to prevent oxidizing. :)

I’ll work something into the main post about this now. Thank you!

Edit: done!

Last edited:
Reactions: hat

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Not a question for me but for others who may be interested - is this a mainland US service only?

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
Maybe this fits better in the Buy/Sale/Trade forum?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reasoning is (most likely?) because it’s more accessible to anyone that may join the forum because of it. That’s my guess...

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
For what it's worth I've know dude online for about a decade (not sure exactly) or so, I've traded with him and moderated a tech forum where he also offered this service in the UK.

He has always been a great contributor to conversations and shared knowledge where he could. One of the few nobody complained about or reported posts by.

While he is pretty new here he is well known in some parts of the community. I'm sure plenty of others from the British corner of the world share my opinion.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
If I get any Intel CPUs it'll be through you mate anyways, so if they ain't de-lidded, but the time they get to me, I hope they would be ;) :D

Completely trust worthy guy here everyone, known him for a long time and he's amazing :) Always there to help and does whatever he can, so there should be no doubt at all :)

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I'm still blaming you for my hardware w***ing but as we continue to help each other, I hold no grudge and enjoy the crazy projects we do :D :D

I'm not sure AMD is needing the de-lidding with their CPUs so it's just literally Intel if I'm right?

D

Deleted member 185158

I'm not sure AMD is needing the de-lidding with their CPUs so it's just literally Intel if I'm right?

AMD (Ryzen) is not needing a de-lid because the solder transfers heat better than any TIM or LM.

Does a De-lid help an AMD cpu?
That would really depend on which AMD Cpu. Ryzen processors do not benefit from de-lidding at all really.
Any AMD Cpu previous to Ryzen processors actually do benefit from a de-liddening.
On average, over some 12 to 14 AMD chips (before Ryzen) had an average of 8-10c drop in temps and up to 100mhz gains on ambient liquid custom loops. *(running naked, no re-lid)
That would include 90nm Athlon Phenom I & II and also FX processors.... So the above averages over these generations not to one generation individually.
The Avatar you see is actually an 45nm C2 Athlon 5000 (2.2ghz) unlocked to an FX-5000. My particular sample was not a good one, so the de-lid showed no real signs of improvement on temps and OC; while this particular sample was only good for 2750Mhz @ any voltage. This was my second sample of 2, while the first one clocked a bit better about 3ghz similar to a 940BE.
The 45nm Phenom II chips where almost named Phenom FX, AMD had decided to drop the FX and name the next gen 32nm after the Original FX processors from socket 939 pin. IMO, they should have just named the Phenom II processors the Phenom FX as the architecture was akin to the original FX chips from back in the day such as the FX-55 or FX-57, which from my recollection are not soldered processors.

A bit more on topic for the OP, removing Intel IHS plates are super easy. I've done a few myself also. Thank you for supporting de-lidding and helping keep people's temps cool. Very good service.
This is a good service, if you have high temps, take a de-lid (Intel) into serious consideration. The risk of a damaged processor is very very low. Yes, it's worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done over 20 CPUs for customers and lost count how many I did for myself; I've yet to kill one. :)

Even when I used to do the razor blade method... all safe and sound. :D