• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

overclock or core unlock a amd fx 4300 cpu

System Name Own Build
Processor inter i5 7500
Motherboard MSI 250 pc mate
Cooling Coolermaster ML240L Water Cooling
Memory 2 4 gig ddr4 corsair @2133mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R7 370 twin frozer @ 4GB ddr5
Storage Samsung 970 M.2 SSD 250GB(Primary boot drive), Samsung Evo SSD@250GB, Samsung sprinpoint 1TB
Display(s) HP 27FW monitor AMD freesync connected via HDMI
Case Sharkkoon
Audio Device(s) realtek HD 7.1 & Roccat Kave XTD Digital 5.1 Surround
Power Supply OCZ 700w xtreme 80 Plus
Mouse Razor
Keyboard Logitech MX5500
Software Windows 10 x64
hi there all,

I've been reading up about overclocking/core unlocking my CPU? I have the amd fx 4300 black edition witch is factory unlocked, but I want to give a little boost on my CPU without going overboard and messing up my vrm's.

my motherboard is the msi 970a sli krait edition.

I hope someone can help me here. I don't want to go stupid overclock and the CPU runs at 3.8 ghz - 4.0 ghz turbo core, so if I can get it to go to about 4.2 -4.3ghz without stressing my vrms I should be happy

many thanks and will await any help.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My overclocking days go back to when you had to manually cut circuit traces on the board and solder in jumpers! But I am not a big fan of overclocking anymore so I don't claim to have much expertise in that area anymore either. Today, many motherboard makers include overclocking utilities with many of their boards. And your board appears to be no exception. I recommend anyone wanting to experiment with overclocking use these included utilities as they typically include one or more preset options the board maker has tested to be safe, or as safe a overclocking can be.

I urge you to read your user guide and note the many warnings in there about overclocking. I note it clearly says, "we do not recommend general users to overclock." And remember, if anything goes wrong, damage from overclocking typically is NOT covered under warranty - for the board or the CPU.

With that said, MSI includes the overclocking utility called "OC Genie". When enabled, this feature sets several overclocking settings to [more or less] safely overclock your system. I say more or less because overclocking always comes with risks - and not just to your VRMs. You need to monitor your temps carefully. If you are not using a real-time hardware monitor to keep tabs on your CPU temps, get one. I use and recommend Core Temp for that. And I recommend you install that now BEFORE you overclock your system to establish a normal clocks baseline.

Note it is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. If your normal clocks baseline temps are not well managed you need to address your cooling before even thinking of overclocking. Use HWiNFO64 to look at your other temps too. It is important to ensure your drives, chipset/system, and graphics temps are well managed too. This program can overwhelm you with too much information so when starting, check the "System only" option. Sadly, this program does not have a real-time System Tray applet like Core Temp does.

If your temps are not well managed now, do not overclock! Period. If necessary and your case supports it, you may need to add additional or larger case fans. You generally want good front-to-back (or bottom-to-top) "flow" through the case. It is then up to the CPU's cooler to toss the CPUs heat up into that air flow. If you use alternative cooling for your CPU, note most do NOT address the cooling requirements for the heat sensitive components surrounding the CPU socket - like the VRMs and chipset. And sadly, many inexperienced overclocking neglects those requirements and concentrate only on the CPU. So I am glad you are aware of the VRM cooling needs too.

Today's OEM coolers are much more capable than many enthusiasts want us to believe. The fact is, OEM coolers from both AMD and Intel are very capable of providing adequate cooling for their CPUs, even with mild to moderate overclocking - in an adequately cooled case. While adequate cooling is critically essential, achieving the coolest temps possible is not. That is, a CPU running at 25°C will not be more stable, perform better, or have a longer life expectancy than a CPU running at 55°C. As long as the temps are maintained comfortably within the CPU's normal operating temperature range, you are fine. If your case cooling is maxed out and your temps are still too high, then you may need to go with an aftermarket cooler. Just remember to thoroughly clean the CPU of old TIM (thermal interface material) and properly apply a fresh new layer of TIM with the new cooler.

It goes without saying (but I will say it anyway) keeping your case interior clean of heat trapping dust is essential - whether overclocking or not. And while in there, make sure your cable management is nice and tidy - and not just for aesthetics - to minimize impacting that desired front-to-back air flow.

Once you have addressed all your cooling needs, then and only then should you look at overclocking. If you encounter any stability issues, back off the clocks.

Good luck and keep an eye on those temps - at all times.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Unlocked just means you can set the multiplier anywhere you want within it's available multiplier set.
The higher you go the more heat you'll generate due to needed extra voltage and the fact it's running faster.

4.2 - 4.3 should be easy, just set CPU voltage around 1.45v's and see if it goes and probrably will. Just make sure afterwards you check temps UNDER LOAD to be sure it can run that way with no issues.

If speaking about unlocking cores that's strictly an AM3 chip thing only, does not apply to AM3+ chips.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
hi there all,

I've been reading up about overclocking/core unlocking my CPU? I have the amd fx 4300 black edition witch is factory unlocked, but I want to give a little boost on my CPU without going overboard and messing up my vrm's.

my motherboard is the msi 970a sli krait edition.

I hope someone can help me here. I don't want to go stupid overclock and the CPU runs at 3.8 ghz - 4.0 ghz turbo core, so if I can get it to go to about 4.2 -4.3ghz without stressing my vrms I should be happy

many thanks and will await any help.

There is no core unlocking on a FX cpu, that was only on phenom 2

You wont get very far with that motherboard in overclocking either