• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic's Tim Sweeney Says They'd Stop Hunting for Exclusives if Steam Matched Epic Games Store in Comission Rates

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Sorry? You’re believing trickle down economics is gonna work for games now too? Publishers are taking the cut here, devs not so much...
We’re already in an age of huge Day 1 patches because publishers forcing Devs to out products ready or not to meet financial quarters and deadlines. This will not change because of some “discount” revenue split nor can Epic or any other platform offer that “discount” forever either.
Tim Sweeney is no White Knight here. He just wants more people on his Fortnite Launcher before the Fortnite money dries up.
You're forgetting a lot of these games that signed exclusives are self-published like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
You're forgetting a lot of these games that signed exclusives are self-published like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Those aren’t the games we’re talking about here ;) Those aren’t the ones that are being used to ply people into using EGS. Though that game is on my list....

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I assume you mean Metro: Exodus. In which case the publisher owns the IP so they call all of the shots and that usually involves a lot of development decisions.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I assume you mean Metro: Exodus. In which case the publisher owns the IP so they call all of the shots and that usually involves a lot of development decisions.
Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, yeah those big IPs

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Borderlands 3 = 2K Games
2K Games did it because 12% on EGS beats the hell out of 30%->20% on Steam and 30% on GOG.

The Outer Worlds = Private Division
Private Division turning EGS exclusive is a no brainer. It's high risk from the get go because it is a new IP. EGS exclusive reduces that risk by getting guaranteed sales.
Private Division literally doesn't do "big IPs." They were created to publish games that are too small for AAA publishers to care and too big for indie budgets to handle.

Just to be clear: UE4 games get 12% on EGS, non-UE4 games get 17% on EGS. Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds are both on UE4.

Metro: Exodus is an odd ball being EGS exclusive but not on UE4. I think Deep Silver wasn't convinced it would reach the threshold for 25% on Steam ($10 million), never mind 20% ($50 million). I believe Metro is popular in eastern Europe where GOG is also more common (30% revenue share). Put it all together, 17% on EGS is attractive. Exclusivity is icing on the cake.

Remember AAA publishers were abandoning Steam last year before EGS started offering exclusives. For example, COD:BO4 was Battle.net exclusive. That was a big money maker for Steam gone. Not to mention PUBG was losing out to Fortnite.

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Borderlands 3 = 2K Games
2K Games did it because 12% on EGS beats the hell out of 30%->20% on Steam and 30% on GOG.

Private Division turning EGS exclusive is a no brainer. It's high risk from the get go because it is a new IP. EGS exclusive reduces that risk by getting guaranteed sales.
Private Division literally doesn't do "big IPs." They were created to publish games that are too small for AAA publishers to care and too big for indie budgets to handle.

Just to be clear: UE4 games get 12% on EGS, non-UE4 games get 17% on EGS. Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds are both on UE4. Metro: Exodus is an odd ball being EGS exclusive but not on UE4.
Doesn’t change the fact they are just carrots dangled in front of gamers to use EGS . There’s ZERO benefits to us as consumers. Less sales on a less than desirable DSF. Better hope that 12% makes up the difference. I’m gonna buy Outer Worlds on MS Store before I ever support Epics tactics.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
My computer has EGS, Battle.net, Origin, uPlay, Steam, and GOG Galaxy installed. Do I care? Nope, not really. I have 10 GiB of RAM to burn at the moment. If you don't like it, fine. I think competition is good.

Microsoft Store is layered DRM. EGS is DRM free unless developers add it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Those aren’t the games we’re talking about here ;) Those aren’t the ones that are being used to ply people into using EGS. Though that game is on my list....
Borderlands 3 = 2K Games

Just to be clear: UE4 games get 12% on EGS, non-UE4 games get 17% on EGS. Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds are both on UE4.

Metro: Exodus is an odd ball being EGS exclusive but not on UE4. I think Deep Silver wasn't convinced it would reach the threshold for 25% on Steam ($10 million), never mind 20% ($50 million). I believe Metro is popular in eastern Europe where GOG is also more common (30% revenue share). Put it all together, 17% on EGS is attractive. Exclusivity is icing on the cake.

Remember AAA publishers were abandoning Steam last year before EGS started offering exclusives. For example, COD:BO4 was Battle.net exclusive. That was a big money maker for Steam gone. Not to mention PUBG was losing out to Fortnite.
Doesn’t change the fact they are just carrots dangled in front of gamers to use EGS . There’s ZERO benefits to us as consumers. Less sales on a less than desirable DSF. Better hope that 12% makes up the difference. I’m gonna buy Outer Worlds on MS Store before I ever support Epics tactics.

Follow this line right here. @INSTG8R you always struck me as a sensible guy... is it too much to admit that the actual deals being made are, when you look at them in detail, actually pretty pro-gamer and pro-gaming? So first you literally say, its not about those games but obviously only about Metro and BL3 (which also got supported by evidence that these are pretty solid 'gamer's games' made by devs that understand what we're looking for and that each have a pretty strong control over their dev processes)... and then you close with saying 'but they're just carrots'. The question I have for you is this: when do those deals stop being just 'carrots' and start being an actual shift in the marketplace that may have already had a positive effect? Something to consider...

The premise you hold on to is that 'exclusivity is bad' but I simply cannot stress enough how flawed that idea is. Its a perspective taken from the customer applied to a different end of the marketplace. For you as an end user there is no exclusivity because you are looking at two/multiple services that are free and open to access. The exclusivity only exists between EGS and Steam. The only one that should be throwing tantrums is Valve. Everyone else can just sit back, get popcorn and enjoy the ride, snagging any nice deals (such as EGS free game offers) that come along if you want to. Thát is where the customer benefits - and has had the opportunity to do so. The very idea that Valve needs customers to help them out here in correcting the market is preposterous - and it will be ineffective anyway. Publishers have smelled blood, and they won't let go of that scent. In the longer run, that 30% cut is not going to hold. Any publisher may very well be making up the balance: 'what if I just launch my own platform' versus the other options right now. Even comparisons to other on-demand digital distribution don't hold water wrt your premise on exclusivity: take Netflix and HBO. Paid services that each snag exclusives away from one another, all the time. The entertainment industry is built on exclusivity of content, front to back and top to bottom.

Bottom line, these changes to the market are already happening, stop blinding yourself and you may be able to spot them.

Last, as for the trickle down effect that was mentioned. YES it does apply to gaming as well. Nothing happens in a vacuum on the marketplace. When games get planned initially, the market is carefully looked at: 'do we have something to offer that is unique' 'is the timing right' 'what are we competing with'. If all those devs that release through EGS have more options to divide a budget (because that is what this is), they can simply offer more than a competitor could with the same amount of money. This is undeniable. Where that money truly lands remains to be seen, but any competing dev that wants to do 'bring more product' at the same price has an opportunity to do exactly that. People say 'but its just going into publisher's pockets' - YES. But not directly; rather indirectly: the business plan here, is that you offer more content for a price, and that will drive sales, and more sales = more $$$. And it gets better: more $$$ means a publisher can take more of a risk with the next project. That is a win-win business proposition, also for us as a customer. And there will always be someone, that is how the market works because everybody is cautiously looking at one another.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Borderlands 3 = 2K Games

If I understand Steam's new policy on cuts they aren't retroactive. Steam takes 30% until 10 million in sales and then for future sales they take 25% and then at 50 million in sales they take 20% in future sales but they don't refund the difference between 30% and 20% on past sales so yes Publishers are saving a lot of money going with Epic and taking little risk.

Anyway most of these games will be available on Steam after a year. Gamers just don't like to wait. This is why games get released buggy as hell and gamers buy them right away anyway or worse pre-order.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Follow this line right here. @INSTG8R you always struck me as a sensible guy... is it too much to admit that the actual deals being made are, when you look at them in detail, actually pretty pro-gamer and pro-gaming? So first you literally say, its not about those games but obviously only about Metro and BL3 (which also got supported by evidence that these are pretty solid 'gamer's games' made by devs that understand what we're looking for and that each have a pretty strong control over their dev processes)... and then you close with saying 'but they're just carrots'. The question I have for you is this: when do those deals stop being just 'carrots' and start being an actual shift in the marketplace that may have already had a positive effect? Something to consider...

The premise you hold on to is that 'exclusivity is bad' but I simply cannot stress enough how flawed that idea is. Its a perspective taken from the customer applied to a different end of the marketplace. For you as an end user there is no exclusivity because you are looking at two/multiple services that are free and open to access. The exclusivity only exists between EGS and Steam. The only one that should be throwing tantrums is Valve. Everyone else can just sit back, get popcorn and enjoy the ride, snagging any nice deals (such as EGS free game offers) that come along if you want to. Thát is where the customer benefits - and has had the opportunity to do so. The very idea that Valve needs customers to help them out here in correcting the market is preposterous - and it will be ineffective anyway. Publishers have smelled blood, and they won't let go of that scent. In the longer run, that 30% cut is not going to hold. Any publisher may very well be making up the balance: 'what if I just launch my own platform' versus the other options right now. Even comparisons to other on-demand digital distribution don't hold water wrt your premise on exclusivity: take Netflix and HBO. Paid services that each snag exclusives away from one another, all the time. The entertainment industry is built on exclusivity of content, front to back and top to bottom.

Bottom line, these changes to the market are already happening, stop blinding yourself and you may be able to spot them.

Last, as for the trickle down effect that was mentioned. YES it does apply to gaming as well. Nothing happens in a vacuum on the marketplace. When games get planned initially, the market is carefully looked at: 'do we have something to offer that is unique' 'is the timing right' 'what are we competing with'. If all those devs that release through EGS have more options to divide a budget (because that is what this is), they can simply offer more than a competitor could with the same amount of money. This is undeniable. Where that money truly lands remains to be seen, but any competing dev that wants to do 'bring more product' at the same price has an opportunity to do exactly that. People say 'but its just going into publisher's pockets' - YES. But not directly; rather indirectly: the business plan here, is that you offer more content for a price, and that will drive sales, and more sales = more $$$. And it gets better: more $$$ means a publisher can take more of a risk with the next project. That is a win-win business proposition, also for us as a customer. And there will always be someone, that is how the market works because everybody is cautiously looking at one another.
When I actually see deals for US as consumers and gamers then we can talk again. You just wasted your time typing all that out. Epic is NOT doing this for US they are padding their store for THEM...

My computer has EGS, Battle.net, Origin, uPlay, Steam, and GOG Galaxy installed. Do I care? Nope, not really. I have 10 GiB of RAM to burn at the moment. If you don't like it, fine. I think competition is good.

Microsoft Store is layered DRM. EGS is DRM free unless developers add it.
So do it I minus EGS. I REFUSE to support game poaching and exclusivity just to get me to use out of ALL of those a terrible DSF with zero incentives other than the games they have poached by dangling deep discounts in front of Publishers...

Dexiefy

Its simple - you make your choice as a customer and that is fine. The whole argumentation behind it though, is flawed in several ways. I hoped and tried to explain this so you could see that, but this nuance is lost on you, its too bad.

Why not just admit defeat and that you simply can't understand my point?
I mean, read what you just wrote and then read this
I do not care which store is the most popular and which one is not. I am gonna chose the best option for me. If i want to buy a game I want to buy it from a store I PICKED, not a store a company I distrust chose for me and told me it is for my own good.
If nVidia wanted to release a new gpu but would say "for the first 6 months you can only buy it at XYZ store and nowhere else", would you say that is alright? Or would you rather pick the store you want to buy the product from? I prefer the latter and so does every single person who is against exclusivity bribes of Epic. Can't say it any clearer for you to understand at this point...

I bolded out the part where you basically admitted you can't understand the issue at all. Let's say I want to buy Borderlands 3 on release from [insert any non EG store], can I do it? No, I cannot. Means that if I want to play it I HAVE NO CHOICE but to buy it from EGS. Do you understand the issue with exclusivity bribes now and how us, the customers, are the ones who are being screwed by having our freedom of choice impacted?

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80

I bolded out the part where you basically admitted you can't understand the issue at all. Let's say I want to buy Borderlands 3 on release from [insert any non EG store], can I do it? No, I cannot. Means that if I want to play it I HAVE NO CHOICE but to buy it from EGS. Do you understand the issue with exclusivity bribes now and how us, the customers, are the ones who are being screwed by having our freedom of choice impacted?

I'm glad i'm not the only one saying most of people defending Epic just don't understand what's the problem, and why more sensible, and passionate people actually complain about that. The problem is you can try and explain them as much as you want, there's no way out of this, they either don't get it or don't want to for some reason, which is playing contrarian just for the sake of it (or because they think Epic is doing them some good)

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Dont really understand all this seemingly blind hatred.... its like the people being against Tesla...

You have to spend money to make money, maybe with some exclusive content it gets people interested, this is just how you do things, this is super standard yet now you are all upset?

And the suggestion that Steam asks less money of the developers also upsets you? do you guys have a personal stake in the financial prosperity of Steam/Valve or something?

Lets not forget that because of the success of Fortnite, Epic decided to lower the cost of the Unreal engine and retro actively also paid companies who already used and paid for the engine the difference back.

I would think you guys (gamers) would be rooting for a move/a company like this, competition is always good for the consumer and more money for the devs could also mean better games or lower prices, yet you are all upset....
As for me, I'm not rooting for one platform against another. I'm rooting for a platform that has worked for me for ages, that I have more than 200 games on, that has huge discounts from time to time, that has cloud saves, that has a good software base and a very low system footprint, that has community features, chat, good support, in-house streaming, game backups, broadcasting, and so on... Can I say the same about EGS? Nope.

Making games exclusive and throwing commission rates in the bag is a pitiful and disgusting move. If Epic starts providing a quality service with something that makes them stand out (like .iso downloads on GOG), I'll start thinking about installing their crapware.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
When I actually see deals for US as consumers and gamers then we can talk again. You just wasted your time typing all that out. Epic is NOT doing this for US they are padding their store for THEM...

See, that is the blindness you imposed upon yourself, right here, at work. (picked the top link, too lazy to avoid Toms' today)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/epic-games-store-current-upcoming-free-titles,38217.html

I'm wasting time, that is indeed obvious, because you didn't even take the effort to comment on the very 180 degree turn you made in the posts I quoted of you. Instead, you fall back on this flawed argument that there are no deals for 'US' as customers, and for that... see link above. Or is free gaming not a deal to you, does it have to have a price tag to apply? Oh no, wait - its not a deal for you, because you choose to avoid EGS. :clap: So all things considered, nothing they could ever do would change your stance; even if they already did it, because you just won't see it.

Seriously man, I thought you were smarter than this? Did you ever think Valve was doing their Steam business for your enjoyment instead of their own pockets? Boy oh boy... the lack of reflection here is stunning.

I'm glad i'm not the only one saying most of people defending Epic just don't understand what's the problem, and why more sensible, and passionate people actually complain about that. The problem is you can try and explain them as much as you want, there's no way out of this, they either don't get it or don't want to for some reason, which is playing contrarian just for the sake of it (or because they think Epic is doing them some good)

There is no victory or defeat here. There is only a basic understanding of the marketplace. You either have it, or you do not.

You do not have it - and you (and others) consistently choose to close your eyes to anything/anyone trying to explain it to you.

Instead you choose to fall back on the 'storefront choice is everything' argument, completely oblivious to the fact that no store has a basis to exist if it wasn't for products being available on it. Thát is why EGS snatched exclusivity. It is their unique selling point. It also applies to every other store: GOG has the unique selling points of 'no-DRM' and 'good old games'. Steam has its featureset advantage + large library of games.

'Let's say I want to buy BL3 on ...' - yes, that is exactly why stores use exclusives - they work because you wanted to buy BL3, and now you might do it on a different store than you're used to, thus giving you a chance to experience and get used to it as a place to buy games. Epic also employs other ways to entice you to come over; such as the free games mentioned above. If that feels to you as 'getting screwed' then you still don't understand the market. You're getting screwed every day, such is life as a consumer in a capitalist society. Nobody denies that. The best you can do, is pick up some fruits of that labor, such as those free games. Or: you can sit in a corner with an angry face saying NO to everything, which seems to be your preference. I've also been in that position for a few years... trust me when I say it won't help you one bit - it tends to make you a bit grumpy, too.

You can or cannot agree with that exclusivity, but its a fact to deal with. No amount of customer backlash is going to change that (deals were made, contracts signed), and we know gamers are impatient, young and very much not true to their word online. You can rest assured you won't be effecting any sort of change. The only effect you have, is that you'll play things you want to play later. If that sits well with you, then that is fine, thát is the market at work. You are given choices as a customer, and you make them. Simple. Nobody ever said you get to choose between only the nice things - in fact, that hardly qualifies as a real choice, but rather just a preference, like what menu item to choose for dinner.

more sensible, and passionate people

Sensible and passionate don't generally go too well together, in case you haven't noticed. Do you know what 'passionate' stands for on a marketplace? Gullible, easy prey to keep making money off. In your case, that is what Valve is thinking about you right now. They didn't even have to issue a press release to keep you tied to their platform, let alone change anything in their 30% cut or the price for you as a customer. Easy. Prey.

Sensible, that is doing what's best for you as a customer, what aligns best with your needs and wants. If that is a Steam monopoly, by all means, do as you do. If it is not, excluding one store by default is counterproductive and not sensible. It directly harms your long term outlook because Steam is already damaging the market in several ways through its dominance - new, smaller players such as EGS have to resort to exclusivity deals to even make a dent. And here, I think we can agree: those deals are not preferable in a general sense. That is also what the guy above here got stuck on. I'm already way past that, honestly, this discussion has also moved way past that a few pages ago.

That is what this really all boils down to, the idea that you can or cannot have things your way all the time. I'm convinced you cannot. You still think you can and somehow also think you should, because 'its logical'... they call that entitlement, and its a sign of the times. You can reflect on that with all the passion you have.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Epic is NOT doing this for US they are padding their store for THEM...

A few days ago Sweeney had this to say, "30% store dominance is the #1 problem for PC developers, publishers, and everyone who relies on those businesses for their livelihood. We’re determined to fix it and this is the one approach that will effect major change."

That is wrong. I check financial statements of the big Publishers a couple times a year and most of them are making huge net profits. I don't know about Indies though. I don't keep up with them. Also, as you said, Sweeney is doing the exclusives and the 12% cut solely to build up his store. He doesn't care about helping out his competition (other Publishers). He must think PC gamers are pretty gullible to make a statement like that and think PC gamers would believe it.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Considering most in the US have forced exclusivity and lack of choice with their ISP, you couldn't use the internet if you really enforced the lack of exclusivity. When you realize you can't beat the game, you can only play it, it makes life easier.

Dexiefy

Wow... just wow...
There is no victory or defeat here. There is only a basic understanding of the marketplace. You either have it, or you do not.

You do not have it - and you (and others) consistently choose to close your eyes to anything/anyone trying to explain it to you.
Actually there is. So far you managed to bring literally not a single argument(other than saying"you should just bend over and accept everything") or counter argument anything of what I've said in any way. Probably because you do not understand having freedom of choice impacted by a corporation.
You can't explain anything to anyone cause you are not understanding the issue. My previous post underline to you (in bold at that) what is the issue and why people are outraged by EGS practices. THEIR FREEDOM OF CHOICE is impacted by a corporation. Corporation makes the choice you should be making on a personal level. The corporation therefore is threatening you with its actions (as it steps onto your freedom) so what do you do? You pick up a weapon to defend it... weapon in this case being the internet.

And of course I don't have it. When a guy who can't even make logical analogy sais so it must be true. Afterall, it is such a difficult concept... making money in any way possible as long as its legal, wow, deep, deep concept. So hard to understand, my brain nearly overloaded.
Yours certainly did though cause you grasp basic concept of it, but do not realize that it is in hands of customers how much those companies can get away with when trying to make as much $$$ as they can. But it is ok, belive that noone understands free market but you, I am sure it will allow you to feel special.

Instead you choose to fall back on the 'storefront choice is everything' argument, completely oblivious to the fact that no store has a basis to exist if it wasn't for products being available on it. Thát is why EGS snatched exclusivity. It is their unique selling point. It also applies to every other store: GOG has the unique selling points of 'no-DRM' and 'good old games'. Steam has its featureset advantage + large library of games.
Alright, great I fall back onto the main issue with exclusivity deals... you know, the VERY PROBLEM of this entire debate. The sole reason why people are "rising up arms" against Epic.
Do you see anyone complaining on GoG removing DRM's? No, because it actually helps everyone. They gave themselves a goal to follow and people want to support them in that so they use their service so their project grows naturally.
Do you see anyone complaining about Steam featureset? No, because it helps everyone. Again, Steam features helped MANY people and made access to for example game modding much simpler for alot of people. One could write a dissertation about all good that Steam has done for gaming industry. With all that said, Steam simply grows because people like what valve is doing.
Do you see Steam/GoG try to shove anything down anyone's throat? No, because they jsut provide something good and people start using it naturally. Noone forces them to.
Do you see people complaining about exclusivity bribes of Epic? Yes because it hurts everyone and helps only Epic. Epic is not trying to create something good here. They do not have a goal like Gog, they do not expand their featureset like Steam, they try to FORCE people to use their software. See the difference?
Hmm I wonder, why people are standing up against it... God one knows, weird stuff right there...
Epic practices ARE NOT HELPING ANYONE, quite the opposite. I seriously have no idea how hard it is for you to understand such simple thing. Just analyze those few sentences 100 times, maybe you will grasp it and see the difference between proper practices that should be supported and shitty practices that should be frowned upon.

'Let's say I want to buy BL3 on ...' - yes, that is exactly why stores use exclusives - they work because you wanted to buy BL3, and now you might do it on a different store than you're used to, thus giving you a chance to experience and get used to it as a place to buy games.
Actually it might only push me to pirate the game or to not play it at all rather than trusting a shady company accused of spying multiple times over the years. I don't have a spine of a snail like you do with your "EA is bad but i still play their games. But i do not support them"(rofl) and rather than being part of the issue, prefer to vote with my wallet.
Also, read again what i wrote about CDP and GoG and Witcher 3( you know, the part that completly invalidates necessity of exclusives in the first place). Then come back and explain to me, if exclusives are so necessary, why Witcher 3 was not GoG exclusive? Afterall this is how you get customers appearently. If you can't however, just stop babbling.

Epic also employs other ways to entice you to come over; such as the free games mentioned above.
Great practice, kudos to them. Now explain why they won't employ more practices that are good for customers and market in general? Whhy instead they are trying to FORCE people to use their store?

If that feels to you as 'getting screwed' then you still don't understand the market. You're getting screwed every day, such is life as a consumer in a capitalist society. Nobody denies that. The best you can do, is pick up some fruits of that labor, such as those free games. Or: you can sit in a corner with an angry face saying NO to everything, which seems to be your preference. I've also been in that position for a few years... trust me when I say it won't help you one bit - it tends to make you a bit grumpy, too.
Not understanding the market? Cause I stand against shitty practices rather than support them? Well fuck me. I guess it is better to let any company do whatever the fuck they want and never speak against them, Vayra style.

Saying no to everything? Because I say no to companies that bring nothing good to gaming industry? The fuck?
Do you see me saying bad stuff about GoG? No, quite the opposite.
Do you see me bash Steam? Nope, cause they just do what they've been doing for a very long time and they are not trying to grab "exclusive deals". They just provide solid service.
Do you see me bash EA/Activision? Fuck yes, cause both of those companies are cancer of gaming industry (reasons are countless)
Do you see me bash Epic now? Fuck yes, cause their exclusivity practices are hurtful to consumers by limiting their choice of service provider. They make the choice for gamers.
See the difference? No? Then you are dumb as a brick.
Yes? Great, then you should realize that you do not understand the issue.

Do you really think that anyone would say a word if Epic just had their store and kept selling games there like everyone else? Noone would give a shit and there would be no issue.

You can or cannot agree with that exclusivity, but its a fact to deal with. No amount of customer backlash is going to change that (deals were made, contracts signed), and we know gamers are impatient, young and very much not true to their word online. You can rest assured you won't be effecting any sort of change. The only effect you have, is that you'll play things you want to play later. If that sits well with you, then that is fine, thát is the market at work. You are given choices as a customer, and you make them. Simple. Nobody ever said you get to choose between only the nice things.
Right, shitty trend promoted by singular company is rising up. It screws gamers over. Lets just sit and watch rather than make a sound as per Vayra's advice.
This is the exact attitude that allowed MTX's to go out of hand in the first place.
This is the attitude that allowed on disc DLC's to be sold etc... Oh and speaking of, was not backlash so hard that EA and their likes backed out of it?Weird...
What was the deal with Battlefront again? Oh right, community backlash so bad that EA got in the shitter...
Community can't do shit appearently, we should just bend over and ask for harder ramming per your advice.
3 deals were signed, sure, does not mean community should keep silent and not try to prevent more of that crap in the future, or make devs think 10 times before they whore themselves out.

Also, I am all for new things and competition when they are good for the industry. As I said before multiple times. Shitty practices that are slippery slope and might force other stores to bribe devs I and many others ARE STRONGLY AGAINST. You can bend over and ask for deeper ramming if you so wish, but not everyone has a spine of a snail and accepts any dildo corporations try to shove into people ass just to get some $$$.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Wow... just wow...

Actually there is. So far you managed to bring literally not a single argument(other than saying"you should just bend over and accept everything") or counter argument anything of what I've said in any way. Probably because you do not understand having freedom of choice impacted by a corporation.
You can't explain anything to anyone cause you are not understanding the issue. My previous post underline to you (in bold at that) what is the issue and why people are outraged by EGS practices. THEIR FREEDOM OF CHOICE is impacted by a corporation. Corporation makes the choice you should be making on a personal level. The corporation therefore is threatening you with its actions (as it steps onto your freedom) so what do you do? You pick up a weapon to defend it... weapon in this case being the internet.

And of course I don't have it. When a guy who can't even make logical analogy sais so it must be true. Afterall, it is such a difficult concept... making money in any way possible as long as its legal, wow, deep, deep concept. So hard to understand, my brain nearly overloaded.
Yours certainly did though cause you grasp basic concept of it, but do not realize that it is in hands of customers how much those companies can get away with when trying to make as much $$$ as they can. But it is ok, belive that noone understands free market but you, I am sure it will allow you to feel special.

Alright, great I fall back onto the main issue with exclusivity deals... you know, the VERY PROBLEM of this entire debate. The sole reason why people are "rising up arms" against Epic.
Do you see anyone complaining on GoG removing DRM's? No, because it actually helps everyone. They gave themselves a goal to follow and people want to support them in that so they use their service so their project grows naturally.
Do you see anyone complaining about Steam featureset? No, because it helps everyone. Again, Steam features helped MANY people and made access to for example game modding much simpler for alot of people. One could write a dissertation about all good that Steam has done for gaming industry. With all that said, Steam simply grows because people like what valve is doing.
Do you see Steam/GoG try to shove anything down anyone's throat? No, because they jsut provide something good and people start using it naturally. Noone forces them to.
Do you see people complaining about exclusivity bribes of Epic? Yes because it hurts everyone and helps only Epic. Epic is not trying to create something good here. They do not have a goal like Gog, they do not expand their featureset like Steam, they try to FORCE people to use their software. See the difference?
Hmm I wonder, why people are standing up against it... God one knows, weird stuff right there...
Epic practices ARE NOT HELPING ANYONE, quite the opposite. I seriously have no idea how hard it is for you to understand such simple thing. Just analyze those few sentences 100 times, maybe you will grasp it and see the difference between proper practices that should be supported and shitty practices that should be frowned upon.

Actually it might only push me to pirate the game or to not play it at all rather than trusting a shady company accused of spying multiple times over the years. I don't have a spine of a snail like you do with your "EA is bad but i still play their games. But i do not support them"(rofl) and rather than being part of the issue, prefer to vote with my wallet.
Also, read again what i wrote about CDP and GoG and Witcher 3( you know, the part that completly invalidates necessity of exclusives in the first place). Then come back and explain to me, if exclusives are so necessary, why Witcher 3 was not GoG exclusive? Afterall this is how you get customers appearently. If you can't however, just stop babbling.

Great practice, kudos to them. Now explain why they won't employ more practices that are good for customers and market in general? Whhy instead they are trying to FORCE people to use their store?

Not understanding the market? Cause I stand against shitty practices rather than support them? Well fuck me. I guess it is better to let any company do whatever the fuck they want and never speak against them, Vayra style.

Saying no to everything? Because I say no to companies that bring nothing good to gaming industry? The fuck?
Do you see me saying bad stuff about GoG? No, quite the opposite.
Do you see me bash Steam? Nope, cause they just do what they've been doing for a very long time and they are not trying to grab "exclusive deals". They just provide solid service.
Do you see me bash EA/Activision? Fuck yes, cause both of those companies are cancer of gaming industry (reasons are countless)
Do you see me bash Epic now? Fuck yes, cause their exclusivity practices are hurtful to consumers by limiting their choice of service provider. They make the choice for gamers.
See the difference? No? Then you are dumb as a brick.
Yes? Great, then you should realize that you do not understand the issue.

Do you really think that anyone would say a word if Epic just had their store and kept selling games there like everyone else? Noone would give a shit and there would be no issue.

Right, shitty trend promoted by singular company is rising up. It screws gamers over. Lets just sit and watch rather than make a sound as per Vayra's advice.
This is the exact attitude that allowed MTX's to go out of hand in the first place.
This is the attitude that allowed on disc DLC's to be sold etc... Oh and speaking of, was not backlash so hard that EA and their likes backed out of it?Weird...
What was the deal with Battlefront again? Oh right, community backlash so bad that EA got in the shitter...
Community can't do shit appearently, we should just bend over and ask for harder ramming per your advice.
3 deals were signed, sure, does not mean community should keep silent and not try to prevent more of that crap in the future, or make devs think 10 times before they whore themselves out.

Also, I am all for new things and competition when they are good for the industry. As I said before multiple times. Shitty practices that are slippery slope and might force other stores to bribe devs I and many others ARE STRONGLY AGAINST. You can bend over and ask for deeper ramming if you so wish, but not everyone has a spine of a snail and accepts any dildo corporations try to shove into people ass just to get some $$$.

Its too bad you can't just stick to normal ways of discussing this and get all emotional.

You have a point and I fully agree with it - no you shouldn't take everything for granted and its good to make a stand on things you don't agree with. I believe I've said as much, in almost every post I made the last few pages - I take care to note that everyone is free to make a choice, and that this is what being a customer on the marketplace is all about. That is how we exercise power. I'm also saying: pick your battles, you won't be winning each one. And I say: when its clear you won't be winning, its best to be pragmatic about it - and I am convinced the large majority does it that way; proof is in the very things we did not manage to ban from gaming; like you said: MTX, lootboxes, etc. etc. You named Battlefront 2 - great - but the lootbox is still very much alive.

My problems with this current one is the way people take a stand, the argumentation they use for it, which is flawed and/or outright media spin and blatant lying as even YOU still mention 'spyware' but research did not confirm that at all - something that happens a lot lately and must be met with caution -, and the underlying problem that is at the core of it that they fail to see. Note; its not about developers taking a higher cut. Its about a healthy marketplace, and yes, contrary to what you may be convinced of, that means you need multiple players on it. EGS is, alongside GoG & Steam, one of the very rare players that are publisher-independent in their content. If you speak of corporation chokeholds: EGS is eliminating one just as much as you say it creates one. Its not black and white and EGS is not the evil-do-it-all here, and this topic contains countless examples of that - when I and others point those out, the response we get is 'they're just carrots' and 'EGS only does it for their own good'.

You still didn't get that nuance, and you're still hurling personal insults my way. I've ignored most of them, but your last post is taking it too far.

Do you see the trend? Both you and @oxidized need to get personal and make many posts with lots of question marks - rhetorical question marks - that only underline your lack of understanding. For some reason, I have no need to do this towards you. You can try to figure out why that happens like it does, another nuance for you to discover.

Also, about EA, its just another example of me being flexible. And yes, I am open to a developer (Respawn) that is continually pushing pretty solid games out. Or is Titanfall another 'corporate chokehold' to you that must be boycotted? Man, you must live in a pretty small, sad and lonely world...

If it makes you feel better, I nicked Apex Coins from EA and bought the battle pass for it, because they had a bug/exploit in their launcher they didn't bother to fix for ages. Still playing Apex for 0,00 EUR, still costing the company money instead of giving it to them ;) Pragmatism.

Last point I'll be making towards you in this topic, is this:

Wow... just wow...

Actually it might only push me to pirate the game

Also, I am all for new things and competition when they are good for the industry. .

You're really pro-gamer here aren't you? This, right here, confirms literally everything I've been saying the last few pages: the vocal minority in this matter consists mostly (there are lots of valid reasons to avoid EGS... its really not that difficult) of temper tantrum loudmouths that fail to put their money where their mouth is. In fact, they fail to put their money period, they just go out and pirate the things they don't get their 'way' in. Its the same thing as having to hurl insults when you don't get your way. Its called entitlement and generally not considered a positive quality.

Painful, I say.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
and you're still hurling personal insults my way. I've ignored most of them, but your last post is taking it too far.

Agreed. We can disagree without being obnoxious.

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
Would be a interesting play if they had any leverage

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
If I understand Steam's new policy on cuts they aren't retroactive. Steam takes 30% until 10 million in sales and then for future sales they take 25% and then at 50 million in sales they take 20% in future sales but they don't refund the difference between 30% and 20% on past sales so yes Publishers are saving a lot of money going with Epic and taking little risk.
Correct, they have to work down to it which isn't an attractive proposition.

Anyway most of these games will be available on Steam after a year. Gamers just don't like to wait. This is why games get released buggy as hell and gamers buy them right away anyway or worse pre-order.
Which is another benefit to Steam users: EGS buyers get the buggy so it should be more polished when the game does launch on Steam.

So do it I minus EGS. I REFUSE to support game poaching and exclusivity just to get me to use out of ALL of those a terrible DSF with zero incentives other than the games they have poached by dangling deep discounts in front of Publishers...
Then just wait and be merry when the exclusivity ends and it launches everywhere. Most gamers have a digital library big enough to fill a year of play time.

I don't know about Indies though.
Pretty much every UE4 game is going to end up on EGS because of the 12% revenue share. Exclusives are on a case-by-case basis. A developer I know that is making a game on UE4 (Consortium: The Tower) has seriously considered an exclusive contract with EGS but hasn't done it yet. To be honest, the game isn't in a state where it should be made exclusive (i.e. "done") so if an exclusive were agreed to, it would be for a while yet.

TL;DR: Indies love the idea because it gives them a risk-free cushion they'd otherwise not have.

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I'm wasting time, that is indeed obvious, because you didn't even take the effort to comment on the very 180 degree turn you made in the posts I quoted of you. Instead, you fall back on this flawed argument that there are no deals for 'US' as customers, and for that... see link above. Or is free gaming not a deal to you, does it have to have a price tag to apply? Oh no, wait - its not a deal for you, because you choose to avoid EGS. :clap: So all things considered, nothing they could ever do would change your stance; even if they already did it, because you just won't see it.

Seriously man, I thought you were smarter than this? Did you ever think Valve was doing their Steam business for your enjoyment instead of their own pockets? Boy oh boy... the lack of reflection here is stunning.
Whoopee? Humble gives me free games for Steam, Origin used to do “On the house”, Uplay just gave me AC Unity am I supposed to cheer and take EGS up the arse for not even great free games? I’m not supporting EGS because it’s a terrible DSF trying to make people use it by poaching AAA titles and locking them behind “exclusivity” Sorry pal the fact you continue to support this anti-consumer practice as “okay” because of some 3rd rate free games. Just shows me you’re blind to it if “shiny free” is your argument for shitty business practices on a shitty platform.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Humble gives me free games for Steam, Origin used to do “On the house”, Uplay just gave me AC Unity am I supposed to cheer and take EGS up the arse for not even great free games?
Thimbleweed Park, Oxenfree, Slime Rancher, Subnautica, and The Witness are all fantastic games. What Remains of Edith Finch, Axiom Verge, and Transistor are good enough. The only game they gave away I wasn't a fan of is The Jackbox Party Pack...but I'm a loner so that's to be expected.

...3rd rate free games.
The Witness is not "3rd rate." In the first week it grossed over $5 million and the developer (Jon Blow) described that as being "on track" to cover the expense of making it.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)