• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple v Pepper

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Let's face it if Apple wasn't so greedy this would not be an issue. It really isn't the fact that they want a cut to distribute your product, which is completely reasonable. It is the cut they want and the fact that they want a constant cut of something like a subscription service for instance. Consider Spotify, Apple distributes an installation package a one time transaction or perhaps monthly including updates. Then Spotify distributes content through their network and pays royalties on that content and Apple thinks it is fine and dandy to take a cut of the subscription fees. That is plain wrong, pure and simple GREED! Those of us in the tech community without the Apple blinders on have been sitting back and waiting for them to get theirs. Hopefully SCOTUS can see through their BS and holds them accountable for their unfair business practices. Notice that is plural because the app store barely scratches the surface of their evil.

D

Deleted member 24505

Let's face it if Apple wasn't so greedy this would not be an issue. It really isn't the fact that they want a cut to distribute your product, which is completely reasonable. It is the cut they want and the fact that they want a constant cut of something like a subscription service for instance. Consider Spotify, Apple distributes an installation package a one time transaction or perhaps monthly including updates. Then Spotify distributes content through their network and pays royalties on that content and Apple thinks it is fine and dandy to take a cut of the subscription fees. That is plain wrong, pure and simple GREED! Those of us in the tech community without the Apple blinders on have been sitting back and waiting for them to get theirs. Hopefully SCOTUS can see through their BS and holds them accountable for their unfair business practices. Notice that is plural because the app store barely scratches the surface of their evil.

F*ck Apple

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I understand your argument, especially coming from the perspective of the developer. However, just because Company A creates an ecosystem does not mean Developer B has some sort of right to access that ecosystem that runs counter to the model of said ecosystem. I look at it from the perspective of a company trying to make an ecosystem that drives profit.

I look at it as a company managing the ecosystem for the product they created. Much like restaurants have the ability to refuse service for political associations, product makers should have the right to refuse software entry into their ecosystem.

Look at the Android ecosystem as an example. Look how many malware infested apps have been discovered on that store. Think of how many malware infested apps get side loaded.

If anything, this should put the Apple store at a competitive disadvantage to Android because they have less apps that people want. This shouldn't be a problem.

For the record, I dislike the principles that generally guide Apple and I am a developer. But, I stand by their right to filter what is in their store.

However, I believe side loading and right to repair should be allowed.

It's not really too much different than people wanting right to repair legislation.

Side loading is the only equivalent here to right to repair.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think you're misunderstanding what the lawsuit is fundamentally about: choice. The plaintiff wants Apple to keep their App Store but they can't prohibit competitive app stores from being created nor hinder their operation. It is true that malware may stop competing app stores from being used but that's for the market to decide, not Apple.

However, I believe side loading and right to repair should be allowed.
Then you agree with Pepper et. al.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I think you're misunderstanding what the lawsuit is fundamentally about: choice. The plaintiff wants Apple to keep their App Store but they can't prohibit competitive app stores from being created nor hinder their operation. It is true that malware may stop competing app stores from being used but that's for the market to decide, not Apple.

Then you agree with Pepper et. al.

Ah, perhaps I misunderstood. My understanding was that they wanted to modify how the Apple AppStore does business.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Ah, perhaps I misunderstood. My understanding was that they wanted to modify how the Apple AppStore does business.

They do. And so does right to repair. Whenever you insist a company open up their proprietary eco system based on some poorly thought out moral argument you essentially say that your right to access something they created trumps their ability to control how they make a profit.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Whenever you insist a company open up their proprietary eco system based on some poorly thought out moral argument you essentially say that your right to access something you bought trumps their ability to control how they make a profit.
I fixed that for you. If it was just merely a service, I would agree with you. The problem is that buying an iPhone isn't a service, it's hardware. I have a problem with this as much as I have a problem with Subaru requiring me to go through a dealership to get an updated ROM for the stereo in my car, which requires me to pay money to them to do something as stupid as putting a file on a flash drive, plugging it into my car, and pressing a button in the interface that I have access to.

Also another note is that Apple doesn't do this in OS X, yet that's still a relatively closed and proprietary OS that's more similar to iOS than anything else, yet OS X doesn't burst into flames when you install an unsigned package.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Speaking of monopolys.

People should look into the whole thing with 'right to repair' because what apple are trying to do is limit the choices where you can get your devices repaired so you end up going to them anyway and pay stupid amounts to get your shit fixed.

A guy i know broke his 2013 macbook pro. He went to the genius bar - they charged him £800 ($1027USD) to replace the motherboard.

There are places out there with skilled technicians that could of fixed that macbook for £50-60 or maybe more depending what needs to be replaced?? But no - Apple insists on chucking the faulty board into landfill and charging you £800 for most likely a refurbed one.

Ontop of that, theyve made all sorts of anti-consumer actions which includes limiting the parts that 3rd party repair shops can get their hands on. digital authorization codes on part numbers that syncronise with apple servers and if its not a part that is registered with them then Apple sends out some sort of signal to your phone that bricks it.

I dont know about you. but £800 to me is a new laptop. Its not worth spending £800 on 3-4year old tech unless it was absolutely mission critical and something that really had to be saved and kept working.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The only change Apple v. Pepper may change at the App Store itself is elimination of the $#.99 pricing scheme.

Speaking of monopolys.

People should look into the whole thing with 'right to repair' because what apple are trying to do is limit the choices where you can get your devices repaired so you end up going to them anyway and pay stupid amounts to get your shit fixed.

A guy i know broke his 2013 macbook pro. He went to the genius bar - they charged him £800 ($1027USD) to replace the motherboard.

There are places out there with skilled technicians that could of fixed that macbook for £50-60 or maybe more depending what needs to be replaced?? But no - Apple insists on chucking the faulty board into landfill and charging you £800 for most likely a refurbed one.

Ontop of that, theyve made all sorts of anti-consumer actions which includes limiting the parts that 3rd party repair shops can get their hands on. digital authorization codes on part numbers that syncronise with apple servers and if its not a part that is registered with them then Apple sends out some sort of signal to your phone that bricks it.

I dont know about you. but £800 to me is a new laptop. Its not worth spending £800 on 3-4year old tech unless it was absolutely mission critical and something that really had to be saved and kept working.
Trudat, but that's not in the scope of Apple v. Pepper. In general, I think the problem is proving in a court that it should be cheaper because Apple would point to all of the contracts you broke by not having Apple service it.

I think FTC only spoke on "warranty void if removed" stickers being a farce. A warranty is a warranty and it is not voidable.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
A warranty is a warranty and it is not voidable.
I think that's a grey area because there are modifications you can make to devices or vehicles that can cause damage to other components. It's not reasonable to expect a business to warranty, say, replace a catalytic converter if you modify the car to run rich. You kind of did that to yourself. However, software doesn't tend to be destructive (usually,) to the device so much as it is to everything stored on the device and how the software on it operates. If a factory reset or clean install fixes the problem, it's a non-issue and the cost to Apple is actually quite minimal. To me, that's a big motivating factor that you should be at least able to install packages manually without the assistance of the App Store.

To be frank, I own an iPhone 7 and the ability to install packages on my own will not impact how I use it in any way, shape, or form. I do, however, believe that the option should be there. I'm certain there are plenty of people like me, but don't really care about their freedoms when it comes to technology, they want it to just work, and that's what Apple kind of offers. I honestly think there is a very simple middle ground where Apple can have their cake and eat it too. Just let people install packages, signed or otherwise and be done with it.

Edit: I will say this. Having used Apple products for a while, I can say that they do tend to "just work" and they're very hands off. That's appealing to a lot of people who don't want to screw around with their devices. Not everyone has the same priorities when it comes to what they demand from technology.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Its not worth spending £800 on 3-4year old tech

Hell, it was 3-4 year old tech when it fell off the assembly line.

I can say that they do tend to "just work" and they're very hands off.

Just don't hold it wrong!

That's appealing to a lot of people who don't want to screw around with their devices.

The only time you have to screw with an Android phone is if you buy a $50 one or root it.

They do. And so does right to repair. Whenever you insist a company open up their proprietary eco system based on some poorly thought out moral argument you essentially say that your right to access something they created trumps their ability to control how they make a profit.

Not necessary. Now your arguing about if you own the device or a renting it. If I'm dropping a stupid amount on a lackluster iPhone, are you telling me that I don't own it? I cannot repair it where I want and do what I want with it? If you are, that is telling me I don't own it and am only renting it.

Now, I don't expect them to open their app store but I expect to be able to take my device down the road and get it serviced. I also expect to be able to put a screensaver with jiggly boobs on it, regardless of where I got it from.

If you were to buy a Lexus but you happen to like Joe's Garage down the street, I am guessing you wouldn't be happy about Lexus saying sorry but you can only take it to us. And you likely would tell them to Fuck Off.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
I fixed that for you. If it was just merely a service, I would agree with you. The problem is that buying an iPhone isn't a service, it's hardware. I have a problem with this as much as I have a problem with Subaru requiring me to go through a dealership to get an updated ROM for the stereo in my car, which requires me to pay money to them to do something as stupid as putting a file on a flash drive, plugging it into my car, and pressing a button in the interface that I have access to.

I agree with you in principle. The problem is when you buy something, even a physical thing, you agree to terms of use or forfeit whatever warranty or support you would normally get. I don't really see how anyone can argue that they the purchaser have a right to do something to a product they purchased and then expect the producer to open up the system to allow any competing company to create tools for it and steal IP.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I agree with you in principle. The problem is when you buy something, even a physical thing, you agree to terms of use or forfeit whatever warranty or support you would normally get. I don't really see how anyone can argue that they the purchaser have a right to do something to a product they purchased and then expect the producer to open up the system to allow any competing company to create tools for it and steal IP.

What stops them from buying one and stealing the IP?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I agree with you in principle. The problem is when you buy something, even a physical thing, you agree to terms of use or forfeit whatever warranty or support you would normally get.
You're forgetting the role of the government: to establish and maintain a fair market. Consumer protection law also can void illegal contracts.

If a company chooses to create a marketplace inside of their product, they have to abide by general market protection rules including anti-trust. Just because they choose to play gatekeeper doesn't make them immune to antitrust law.

The only reason why Apple (and others) haven't been successfully sued yet is because the 1977 Illinois Brick ruling made it extremely difficult to pursue any kind of antitrust lawsuit.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
You're forgetting the role of the government: to establish and maintain a fair market. Consumer protection law also can void illegal contracts.

If a company chooses to create a marketplace inside of their product, they have to abide by general market protection rules including anti-trust. Just because they choose to play gatekeeper doesn't make them immune to antitrust law.

The only reason why Apple (and others) haven't been successfully sued yet is because the 1977 Illinois Brick ruling made it extremely difficult to pursue any kind of antitrust lawsuit.

I do believe there is a *limited* role of government to play in the cases of vertical monopolies, etc. But the argument that apple is anti competitive falls apart when developers (who benefit from Apple's marketplace, btw) can simply choose to stick with android only. Principles matter more than government.

D

Deleted member 24505

Speaking of monopolys.

If you take a iphone into the genius bar for a new battery, and the screen has a tiny crack in it, they will not replace the battery unless you allow them to charge you for a new screen too.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
But the argument that apple is anti competitive falls apart when developers (who benefit from Apple's marketplace, btw) can simply choose to stick with android only.
Nope, markets are supposed to be accessible to all--the choice is exclusively the customer's. The decision to buy an iOS or Android product is in the consumers' hands which is as it should be. The problem is that once you buy especially an iOS product, you're henceforth locked into their ecosystem. Everyone (developers and consumers) at that point must acquiesce to Apple's will or be removed from the market. Government is supposed to regulate markets, not businesses. It's illegal per se (regardless of circumstances) for any entity that isn't a government to act as a gatekeeper for any market.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
If you take a iphone into the genius bar for a new battery, and the screen has a tiny crack in it, they will not replace the battery unless you allow them to charge you for a new screen too.

That's a safety issue. You have to remove the screen/glue to get at the battery and if the screen is already compromised it will become glass shards real fast due to the force involved.

Of course, the whole design of the iphone is designed to prevent third party repair...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
The main reason I only buy iphones is because apple does not allow all those garbage apps on their store. I never have any issues with apps on my iphones unlike all the crap on android. This has always been a big selling point for me.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
The main reason I only buy iphones is because apple does not allow all those garbage apps on their store. I never have any issues with apps on my iphones unlike all the crap on android. This has always been a big selling point for me.

So you'd never be sideloading apps anyways, and completely unaffected by this.

D

Deleted member 24505

That's a safety issue. You have to remove the screen/glue to get at the battery and if the screen is already compromised it will become glass shards real fast due to the force involved.

Of course, the whole design of the iphone is designed to prevent third party repair...

I have replaced lots of iphone batteries on phones with cracked or shattered screens. If it has a tiny crack on the corner, there is no reason for them to insist on replacing the screen. It is just another way to get more money out of you. When i am out and about, i see sooo many people with iphones that have cracked screens, why? because Apple charge £156+ to replace it, no wonder there is a massive market for cheap knock offs on Ebay.

I have had lots of iphones from 4/4s to 7/plus, generally they are good, but iphones need screen widgets and drag and drop for music. The worst thing is using itunes to add one album and have it have to remove the lot and replace it all including the new album. I don't use a iphone anymore, as itunes is a bunch of turd berries.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I have replaced lots of iphone batteries on phones with cracked or shattered screens. If it has a tiny crack on the corner, there is no reason for them to insist on replacing the screen. It is just another way to get more money out of you.

I used to do cellphone repair. When you are an employer insuring employees who replace a lot of screens every day, the policy quickly becomes "cracked? Do not repair" or the insurance premiums will go up.

I'm certain that is Apple's reasoning. Just because you can get a few off without cutting yourself is irrelevant if it happens even once. Besides, what happens when you damage the screen further furing the repair and the customer insists you now replace their screen that was "fine before?"

It's just a ball of wax they don't want to deal with. I'd be surprised if anyone does without a lengthy TOS being signed.