• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic's Tim Sweeney Says They'd Stop Hunting for Exclusives if Steam Matched Epic Games Store in Comission Rates

"Valve should move to our current unsustainable business model so we can stop throwing money at publishers."
Whether the business model will be unsustainable, only time will tell, since it hasn't been attempted yet. It might indeed fail miserably, but maybe they can make it work.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I think steam should do it for a year, watch epic disappear in short order.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

I think this is a losing battle for Steam. I think all publishers will have their own launchers at the end of it all. All it takes is one good title to pay for the system.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I think this is a losing battle for Steam. I think all publishers will have their own launchers at the end of it all. All it takes is one good title to pay for the system.

That idea is based on the premise that all those publishers would gladly push an exclusive through Steam. I don't think that is the case and it may also not be Valve's agenda.

I think people forget there are two parties involved in a deal and Epic/Steam is just one half of that.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
That idea is based on the premise that all those publishers would gladly push an exclusive through Steam. I don't think that is the case and it may also not be Valve's agenda.

I think people forget there are two parties involved in a deal and Epic/Steam is just one half of that.

Yeah, I am meaning that if a publisher was to build its own launcher/store, it takes one good selling title to have the commission saved pay for the launcher/store. That should be an attractive proposition for most publishers. Most people are weak/impatient. They aren't going to miss out on all the games.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Yeah, I am meaning that if a publisher was to build its own launcher/store, it takes one good selling title to have the commission saved pay for the launcher/store. That should be an attractive proposition for most publishers. Most people are weak/impatient. They aren't going to miss out on all the games.
Well Bethesda tried it and have pretty much admitted defeat and putting all future titles back on Steam. I have it for 76 and it’s really no better than EGS other than they do have their own decent titles for sale there.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Well Bethesda tried it and have pretty much admitted defeat and putting all future titles back on Steam. I have it for 76 and it’s really no better than EGS other than they do have their own decent titles for sale there.

I don't remember anyone claiming Fall Out 76 was a good a game. They didn't fail because of the store, they failed because no one liked the game.

Reactions: 64K

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't remember anyone claiming Fall Out 76 was a good a game. They didn't fail because of the store, they failed because no one liked the game.

You're right about that. Fallout 76 was indeed a failure. It was a buggy, boring, repetitive, soulless abomination of the Fallout series. It should have been named Failout 76. Bethesda is still trying to put lipstick on that pig but at the end of the day it's still just a pig. Bethesda should be ashamed imo.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
You're right about that. Fallout 76 was indeed a failure. It was a buggy, boring, repetitive, soulless abomination of the Fallout series. It should have been named Failout 76. Bethesda is still trying to put lipstick on that pig but at the end of the day it's still just a pig. Bethesda should be ashamed imo.

Pretty much describes Fallout 4. I'm sorry, that was too harsh. Fallout 4 was pretty bad in my opinion but I'll admit that it was likely do to me finishing my favorite game of all time before I started FO4. Although I did go back and try playing it a year later and it was still just as boring. If they could write stories and quests, all would be well. They do a pretty good job of creating the lore but their quest and story writing sucks. Pretty much every quest I have ever done in a Bethesda game is just a variation of the first Blades quest in Morrowind. Soul-less pretty much describes all of their games since Oblivion.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
You realize that most of their titles are also available there too right? Wolfenstein, Dishonered, Quake etc...Has nothing to do with 76, try to stay focused... I was perfectly willing to buy RAGE 2 there if that’s where it was gonna be.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
try to stay focused

Then please elaborate on what damage these exclusives have caused if we are going to play that game. Let's see what we can eliminate:
  • No one is prohibited from acquiring the games, they are available to all
  • Games don't cost more and some actually cost less for those of us in the US
  • Some console exclusives have actually made it to PC instead of not at all
So, take it from here...

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Then please elaborate on what damage these exclusives have caused if we are going to play that game. Let's see what we can eliminate:
  • No one is prohibited from acquiring the games, they are available to all
  • Games don't cost more and some actually cost less for those of us in the US
  • Some console exclusives have actually made it to PC instead of not at all
So, take it from here...
You mentioned publishers creating their own DSFs. I used Bethesda as a tried and failed example, you go off on 76 like it has anything to do with anything, Back to you Bob...
I’m not gonna bother with the rest of it, this has ALL been answered ad nauseam many times now just like you keep repeating it ad nauseam like it’s somehow “right”
Edit: Own all those console games on console(Big Quantic Dream fan)

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
You mentioned publishers creating their own DSFs. I used Bethesda as a tried and failed example, you go off on 76 like it has anything to do with anything, Back to you Bob...

Ok, I'll expand. When was the last time Bethesda made a game that made players want to continue playing it before they pulled out all their hair? What about EA and Origin? Still going. What about Uplay and Ubisoft? Still going. 2 that have succeeded vs 1 that has failed. Bethesda is not a good example for anything except how not to do things.

I’m not gonna bother with the rest of it, this has ALL been answered ad nauseam many times now just like you keep repeating it ad nauseam like it’s somehow “right”

No, you haven't answered anything. Saying it is bad doesn't equate to....anything. Lack of choice doesn't hold up either as it is YOUR choice not to buy it or to wait for the launcher of your choosing. So I ask again as over the last nine pages you have said nothing but 'It's bad' or 'I should be able to buy whatever I want when I want, where I want and for whatever price I want.' Or some variation of those two things.

The reason you haven't answered is because you can't find any real damage that it has caused consumers. Oh wait, that's right, Epic is only doing it so they can pay their employees, enhance EGS, enhance UE4, and make games. Shame on them.

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Ok, I'll expand. When was the last time Bethesda made a game that made players want to continue playing it before they pulled out all their hair? What about EA and Origin? Still going. What about Uplay and Ubisoft? Still going. 2 that have succeeded vs 1 that has failed. Bethesda is not a good example for anything except how not to do things.

No, you haven't answered anything. Saying it is bad doesn't equate to....anything. Lack of choice doesn't hold up either as it is YOUR choice not to buy it or to wait for the launcher of your choosing. So I ask again as over the last nine pages you have said nothing but 'It's bad' or 'I should be able to buy whatever I want when I want, where I want and for whatever price I want.' Or some variation of those two things.

The reason you haven't answered is because you can't find any real damage that it has caused consumers. Oh wait, that's right, Epic is only doing it so they can pay their employees, enhance EGS, enhance UE4, and make games. Shame on them.
And? Epic has Fortnite what other great titles have they put out lately? NONE! Just paying off publishers, and yes they are paying off publishers to lock their games behind a shit DSF just like Bethesda’s equally shit DSF. But hey I’m glad that’s okay with YOU it’s not okay with the majorly of gamers. I’m sorry you seem to think this is of any benefit to us, it’s not. I’m glad you’re happy Epic is the only winner here...you’re in minority here but carry on.

When Epic runs out of bait money and Fortnite money dries up and people like me and many others wait out this exclusivity nonsense, sales are bad and EGS goes the way of Bethesda, enjoy trying to play the 2-3 games you bought there when Tim’s failed attempt fails.

Edit: Google Phoenix Point and the way it ended up on EGS and the fact that it doesn’t even have to sell well because Epic has already paid for 91% of its costs with the bait money it got from Epic. Oh and screwing over it’s Kickstarter backers with the platform switch/exclusivity.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Just paying off publishers, and yes they are paying off publishers to lock their games behind a shit DSF just like Bethesda’s equally shit DSF.

It could be the biggest POS software ever, as long as it launches the game then it is doing its job.

it’s not okay with the majorly of gamers

I don't think the majority cares. I bet you the majority on TPU don't even care. Let alone the world.

I’m sorry you seem to think this is of any benefit to us, it’s not.

Do you even read? I don't think there is any benefit to us and just a few posts up I said there wasn't. What I said is that it doesn't cause you any harm. There many things that happen every day that benefit us. So what? If they don't harm us, then who cares? All this does is change which password you enter...unless you use the same one for everything. Tisk. Tisk.

When Epic runs out of bait money and Fortnite money dries up and people like me and many others wait out this exclusivity nonsense, sales are bad and EGS goes the way of Bethesda, enjoy trying to play the 2-3 games you bought there when Tim’s failed attempt fails.

I only bought one, Metro Exodus. And when I finish it this weekend, I'll never need to play it again.

Oh and screwing over it’s Kickstarter backers with the platform switch/exclusivity.

How did it screw them over? Can they not play it? Is it somehow not downloadable or playable through EGS?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
it’s not okay with the majorly of gamers.
Actually, you’d be hard pressed to prove that point. What there is are a small very vocal minority. I know a truckload full of people IRL that have played Metro: Exodus already, on EGS. More than I remember at any time except Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Skyrim. Anecdotal, sure, but those anecdotal sales matched the massive numbers sold.

My suspicion is you are overstating your hand, and mistake vocal protest for numbers. Most people just want to play, and will buy a game from wherever they need to, just like Im sure you in real life have products you buy from stores you can’t get elsewhere.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Actually, you’d be hard pressed to prove that point. What there is are a small very vocal minority. I know a truckload full of people IRL that have played Metro: Exodus already, on EGS. More than I remember at any time except Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Skyrim. Anecdotal, sure, but those anecdotal sales matched the massive numbers sold.

My suspicion is you are overstating your hand, and mistake vocal protest for numbers. Most people just want to play, and will buy a game from wherever they need to, just like Im sure you in real life have products you buy from stores you can’t get elsewhere.
A simple google would prove otherwise...This stuff isn’t making news because it’s being applauded...

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
A simple google would prove otherwise...This stuff isn’t making news because it’s being applauded...
Google shows results for what is vocal. The people that are just buying the games arent busy being keyboard warriors...they are playing. Its always that way. The vocal angry minority get a lot of press, but are just that, a miniority. Most people just go about their lives and dont protest or raise a stink.

Until anybody has any actual sales numbers to prove “no one” is buying games on EGS then you don’t have that argument. If they are as closemouthed about sales figures as Steam has always been, then it will remain a great mystery.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Google shows results for what is vocal. The people that are just buying the games arent busy being keyboard warriors...they are playing. Its always that way. The vocal angry minority get a lot of press, but are just that, a miniority. Most people just go about their lives and dont protest or raise a stink.

Until anybody has any actual sales numbers to prove “no one” is buying games on EGS then you don’t have that argument. If they are as closemouthed about sales figures as Steam has always been, then it will remain a great mystery.
So neither of us have any real point either way then do we? But using Phoenix Point again, the money Epic paid them means they’ve already broke even without having to even make a sale so,
Sales numbers don’t even matter in that case. But the press coverage in general hasn’t been positive.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
So neither of us have any real point either way then do we? But the press coverage in general hasn’t been positive.
And we have found a point of agreement! :)

Press coverage on any topic rarely covers the people happy or satisfied with anything, though. It doesn’t make for good income. Just something to keep in the back of your mind for the future.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Looks like that boycott is paying off:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/metro-exodus/sales

“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations in terms of sales in actual units of both Metro Exodus and Satisfactory during the quarter,” Wingefors tells us. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March.”

In other words, direct game sales through the Epic store brought in more money for THQ Nordic in the quarter than sales on Steam, PlayStation Network, or Xbox Live. That can be partially attributed to the higher revenue cut developers receive through Epic, but it takes more than a few percentage points to compete against the big install bases on console.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Looks like that boycott is paying off:
I love your sarcasm! :laugh:

The joke is that the vocal minority really thought they were leading a massive boycott. :roll:

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I love your sarcasm! :laugh:

The joke is that the vocal minority really thought they were leading a massive boycott. :roll:

My guess is that Epic is paying THQ more money to say this so that people will let their guard down. There is no way that consumers would vote with their wallet to actually support anti-consumer practices.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
My guess is that Epic is paying THQ more money to say this so that people will let their guard down. There is no way that consumers would vote with their wallet to actually support anti-consumer practices.
If you recall, THQ was actually pissed at the move Deep Silver made, and said they were putting measures in place to make sure it didn’t happen again with one of their subsidiaries.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
If you recall, THQ was actually pissed at the move Deep Silver made, and said they were putting measures in place to make sure it didn’t happen again with one of their subsidiaries.

/s :cool: