• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Radeon RX 5700 Based on Navi: RDNA, 7nm, PCIe Gen4, GDDR6

Vindicator

It was announced in January, too late to put into Navi. Arcturus might have it.

I want to know how many transistors it has.
It was announced publicly in January 2017, nearly 2½ years ago, and that's to the public. Who knows how long it was developed and discussed behind the scenes prior to this. I am extremely bummed HDMI 2.1 is apparently not supported by these cards. I expected the PCIE 4.0 announcement to be the perfect time for AMD to really jump ahead with their GPU feature support. Such a missed opportunity imo.

So let me get this straight this RX 5700 could be the spiritual predecessor to the AMD "70" Series (Aka 570) that normally built from the gelding of the full-mainstream silicon?

Sure Strange Brigade is a "ringer" and AMD architecture poster child, but also a good all around projection of the capabilities of Vulkcan/DX12 "API Overhead" and I'm sure why AMD leads with it. They're promoting the obvious in that there's gaming engines out there that can unleash their particular architecture design. Nothing wrong about that...

It is interesting that what's been AMD second tier mainstream offering, is working over (sure the one title) a part Nvidia has promoted more-or-less entry enthusiast while such AMD "70-Series" have been task as "entry mainstream" more a-kin today to the GTX 1660. If the RX 5700 actually is 20% behind a 2070 that still has it like somewhere between the Vega 56/64, and I would consider there still a RX 5800 (full-part) still out there.

I figured Computex was just the top-level design and architectural keynotes, and honestly not taking the "marketing jargon" or any of this at face value. That said, I think AMD has a good blueprint and executed this Navi release in fairly clear-cut strategy, while holding to the schedule (we'll wait to see how well they can fill the channel). They'll have more information to drop at E3 (June 13-11), but I don't think we'll learn a-lot with 3 weeks until the actual NDA release July 7th.

Last edited:
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Looks like it's a "GCN compatible" arch, so, it's GCN, with new stuff.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
So let me get this straight this RX 5700 could be the spiritual predecessor to the AMD "70" Series (Aka 570) that normally built from the gelding of the full-mainstream silicon?

Sure Strange Brigade is a "ringer" and AMD architecture poster child, but also a good all around projection of the capabilities of Vulkcan/DX12 "API Overhead" and I'm sure why AMD leads with it. They're promoting the obvious in that there's gaming engines out there that can unleash their particular architecture design. Nothing wrong about that...

It is interesting that what's been AMD second tier mainstream offering, is working over (sure the one title) a part Nvidia has promoted more-or-less entry enthusiast while such AMD "70-Series" have been task as "entry mainstream" more a-kin today to the GTX 1660. If the RX 5700 actually is 20% behind a 2070 that still has it like somewhere between the Vega 56/64, and I would consider there still a RX 5800 (full-part) still out there.

I figured Computex was just the top-level design and architectural keynotes, and honestly not taking the "marketing jargon" or any of this at face value. That said, I think AMD has a good blueprint and executed this Navi release in fairly clear-cut strategy, while holding to the schedule (we'll wait to see how well they can fill the channel). They'll have more information to drop at E3 (June 13-11), but I don't think we'll learn a-lot with 3 weeks until the actual NDA release July 7th.

No, there is no AMD '70' series as you see it with Nvidia. AMD released Polaris and then started incremental updates to that design, mostly in terms of more power > more perf. Polaris is designed as a midrange chip from the get-go. Vega fed their upper half of the stack, development wise its disconnected from what happens with Polaris. Of course features exist on both product (lines) but the design is not the same; Vega has HBM, Polaris does not. Vega got other improvements, Polaris did not.

This also means your interpretation of the AMD naming scheme is not correct. Since the release of RX480, there have been new names but most of that has been rebranded or very minor improvements. Navi's new naming has no relation whatsoever to performance or place in the stack really, its just taking a look at Nvidia and slotting in on the right number. There will be a bigger Navi, but what it will do is a mystery, and AMD no longer has a structure you can rely on with their product stack. Gone are the HD-xx50 / xx70 days.

The key point being, we have no idea what the bigger chip will perform like.

With Nvidia, prior to Turing (but even now, really), while they do use multiple SKUs, these are all almost straight scaled versions of each other. Sometimes some trickery is applied (asymmetrical VRAM setup, usually found on midrange, not just GTX 970; Fermi and Kepler had them too) but you won't see a split halfway the stack using radically different tech. Turing is the exception with its RT components.

Last edited:
strange brigade only? it must be really,really bad.
Yup - it'll be way behind 2070 in real life, probably behind 2060 in many games as well and almost always when both are OCed while costing more and having a lot higher power draw too, on 7nm no less, lmao! :D AMD RTG living up to its name once again - Another Massive Disappointment in Real Time Graphics

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Well, all their work on the gpus in the last couple of years is realistically only fit to throw out the window anyway, so no big loss there :p

No, there is no AMD '70' series as you see it with Nvidia.
I was asking that as a question...

I agree the Nvidia 70 Series has always been in a completely different Product stack. While sure we can't say that the RX 5700 is more "a-kin" to what has been the a mainstream gelding size chip/offering; aka RX 570, R7 270, 7850, but what if that what is?

I believe we have no idea where the "RX 5700" aligns in AMD's product stack, or if it's suppose to be a part that actually contests Nvidia's "entry enthusiast" offering. The number means nothing it just a place holder that some version of a Navi that scrimmages a 2070 in Strange Bridge... It means nothing until we know.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I was asking that as a question...

I agree the Nvidia 70 Series has always been in a completely different Product stack. While sure we can't say that the RX 5700 is more "a-kin" to what has been the a mainstream gelding size chip/offering; aka RX 570, R7 270, 7850, but what if that what is?

I believe we have no idea where the "RX 5700" aligns in AMD's product stack, or if it's suppose to be a part that actually contests Nvidia's "entry enthusiast" offering. The number means nothing it just a place holder that some version of a Navi that scrimmages a 2070 in Strange Bridge... It means nothing until we know.

Yes, I think the same, and sorry for misinterpreting your question as a conclusion :)

There is really no telling. I'm quite sure they can pull a bigger Navi 20 out of this node that performs a good margin above this one - but how big of a margin? 30%? 50%? And even an optimistic scenario would give them only slightly under or over 2080ti performance. But on the other hand, we haven't seen any AMD GPU surpass GTX 1080ti performance and that card is out there for quite some time now. So far, even Navi stalls completely at the same-ish perf level as Vega 56. In reality, all we've really seen thus far, is rebadged Vega performance - even Radeon VII is just a Vega shrink. Navi's biggest achievement is the move to GDDR6.

This is the pessimistic version of AMD's roadmap though, and its based on what we've seen the past few years. Given Zen's success, who knows, things may get better.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
This really depends on if you're quoting the Bible or Händel.

Anyway. Is this brand new or not? I see many conflicting arguments. Me I'm cautiously optimistic, in this context defined as "might perform almost as good as they say in a best case scenario".
Whichever one says I'm right, obviously ;)

For the second part, I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks? I've got my fingers crossed.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It was announced publicly in January 2017, nearly 2½ years ago, and that's to the public. Who knows how long it was developed and discussed behind the scenes prior to this. I am extremely bummed HDMI 2.1 is apparently not supported by these cards. I expected the PCIE 4.0 announcement to be the perfect time for AMD to really jump ahead with their GPU feature support. Such a missed opportunity imo.
It was announced in January, but it wasn't set in stone until November that year. Still, it could have been implemented.
The thing is, HDMI 2.1 comes with VRR. And since that's probably incompatible with whatever magic AMD worked to implement their own VRR over HDMI, it could be a problem to implement.

It is interesting that what's been AMD second tier mainstream offering,
I think this is where I went off course I should have said "It would be interesting to see what could be AMD second tier mainstream offering."

And even an optimistic scenario would give them only slightly under or over 2080ti performance. But on the other hand, we haven't seen any AMD GPU surpass GTX 1080ti performance and that card is out there for quite some time now.
I'm not expecting any "big" Navi that is meant to contest Nvidia's top-shelf Pro-Enthusiast offerings. I think they'll work to get market share, with at some point two Navi's, that best make use of their 7nm wafer starts and yields, the bigger the chip the worse that gets. AMD sideline that "upper echelon" pursuit, and will bench it say another year and use Arcturus (or whatever next) to get back into that segment.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
It was announced in January, but it wasn't set in stone until November that year. Still, it could have been implemented.
The thing is, HDMI 2.1 comes with VRR. And since that's probably incompatible with whatever magic AMD worked to implement their own VRR over HDMI, it could be a problem to implement.
There's a lot of sticking points on the GPU side:
-"Ultra High Speed"--GPU has to be able to produce 48 Gbps signal (Navi doesn't target that market).
-Dynamic HDR--don't think DisplayPort supports this. It will take a lot of R&D to implement.
-Enhanced Audio Return Channel--not sure how difficult this is to implement. Dolby isn't exactly popular on computers: huge preference towards uncompressed PCM which is lossless. It might require paying Dolby too which could mean NVIDIA/AMD/Intel will never be compliant here.

I think VRR, at least for AMD, is an easy one. They can probably make it HDMI 2.1 compliant with a driver patch because GCN apparently has a lot of granularity control over its HDMI protocol. Everything else is theoretically pretty easy (low latency) or already done (DSC).

Remember, GPUs in general are usually quite a ways behind TVs in implementing HDMI standards. HDMI was always designed to put the burden of design on the source, not the destination.

Vindicator

There's a lot of sticking points on the GPU side:
-"Ultra High Speed"--GPU has to be able to produce 48 Gbps signal (Navi doesn't target that market).
-Dynamic HDR--don't think DisplayPort supports this. It will take a lot of R&D to implement.
-Enhanced Audio Return Channel--not sure how difficult this is to implement. Dolby isn't exactly popular on computers: huge preference towards uncompressed PCM which is lossless. It might require paying Dolby too which could mean NVIDIA/AMD/Intel will never be compliant here.

I think VRR, at least for AMD, is an easy one. They can probably make it HDMI 2.1 compliant with a driver patch because GCN apparently has a lot of granularity control over its HDMI protocol. Everything else is theoretically pretty easy (low latency) or already done (DSC).

Remember, GPUs in general are usually quite a ways behind TVs in implementing HDMI standards. HDMI was always designed to put the burden of design on the source, not the destination.
I'm looking at this a very different way. I fully believe they can do it but are holding out to justify selling cards down the road that have little to no performance increase.

Only one of 4 HDMI 2.1 connectors on the 2019 OLEDs have eARC compatibility, which should mean this doesn't have to be on the list for GPU manufacturers to support 2.1.
Worried about 48gbits per second? Well that fancy PCIE 4.0 connector can do 256gbits/second so I hightly doubt the bandwidth is the problem holding this back.
HDR is already supported and there's no differentiation between different HDR styles in Windows yet, so this is something that, considering it's software level, would make sense that it would be a possible software update to support, but the connector itself wouldn't be held back in the meantime.

GPUs, in the past, have been far far far ahead of what the vast majority of hardware on the market is capable of. I still remember my TNT2 Ultra that supported 240hz and that was in the late 90s. It could also do 1920x1200. In the 90s. The first 1080P TVs (That I remember) came out just before PS3 in 2006. That means GPUs were ahead by at least 7-8 years back then when compared to where TVs were at.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I'm looking at this a very different way. I fully believe they can do it but are holding out to justify selling cards down the road that have little to no performance increase.
Look how long it took AMD to implement HDMI 2.0. People were disappointed Fiji shipped with HDMI 1.4. Polaris (June 29, 2016) was the first to support HDMI 2.0 which was 2.75 years after the specification was released (September 4, 2013).

Worried about 48gbits per second? Well that fancy PCIE 4.0 connector can do 256gbits/second so I hightly doubt the bandwidth is the problem holding this back.
They are completely unrelated technologies.

GPUs, in the past, have been far far far ahead of what the vast majority of hardware on the market is capable of.
On the DisplayPort side, yes, because DisplayPort puts GPU design first. HDMI puts display and media manufacturers first which makes GPU support convoluted.

I still remember my TNT2 Ultra that supported 240hz and that was in the late 90s. It could also do 1920x1200. In the 90s.
VGA (analog) didn't have hard limits like digital signals do today. TVs were all built to NTSC or PAL standards which were basically 4:3 with 480 or 625 interlaced scan lines (respectively)... It was the drive to digital ATSC/DVB that created HDMI.

Again, Arcturus will most likely support HDMI 2.1. Navi will not.

Last edited:
System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
And that's why VGA is the best output.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
And that's why VGA is the best output.
For CRTs, yes; for LCDs, no. The VGA-in on LCDs have to approximate everything. A 4K analog image on LCD would lose its sharpness. It simply can't convey that much data with the clarity necessary so...everything gets muddy.

CRTs were never digital in the first place so the signal had to be converted to analog at some point (either in the GPU or in the display).

No reason why an 8K CRT couldn't be made today that accepts a DisplayPort or HDMI connector and RAMDACs it into VGA internally. Would look better than sending analog over VGA anyway because less noise.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
It was sarcasm...
Anyway, I don't expect it, but those Zen+ APUs could have Navi inside.

System Name System 1
Processor Ryzen 1600X
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) RX Vega 64
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 1080p 24" + 4k 55" TV (LG OLED)
It was announced in January, too late to put into Navi. Arcturus might have it.

I want to know how many transistors it has.

What is the "it" you refer to?

If you mean HDMI 2.1, it was announced in January 2017 and released in November the same year.

HDMI 2.1 TVs are on the market right now - LG "9" series.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Has anyone in the world ever bought a new GPU with 0% performance increase due to it having a new display output? That seems like a particularly silly idea.
VRR in HDMI 2.1 is AFAIK an adaptation of the VESA DP AS standard. "FS over HDMI" should already be compliant with this - at worst it'll need a driver update.

And as Ford said above, the time from a new HDMI standard is launched until it reaches PC hardware has always been very long. That seems to be how the HDMI consortium works.
It was sarcasm...
Anyway, I don't expect it, but those Zen+ APUs could have Navi inside.
No, they don't. They're already out in laptops. The die is known, the GPU spec is known, and it's Vega 10 with a clock bump. If they were Navi, this would show in drivers (in particular: in needing entirely bespoke drivers). Of course, the fact that they haven't launched the desktop APUs yet makes me slightly hopeful that they'll just hold off until the next generation of MCM APUs are ready some time in (very) late 2019 or early 2020 - once there's a known good Navi die that will fit the package available in sufficient quantities that it won't gimp GPU sales. Frankly, I'd prefer that over a clock-bumped 3200G/3400G. Maybe they could even bring the model names and CPU architectures in line by doing this?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
3200G/3400G are on 12nm, yeah? Makes sense that a Zen 2 would get a Navi GPU in either 3300G/3500G or bumping it up to 4200G/4400G on 7 nm. PS5's CPU practically already is this without SMT (8-core with Navi) and probably with a different memory architecture (probably 16 GiB GDDR6).

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
3200G/3400G are on 12nm, yeah? Makes sense that a Zen 2 would get a Navi GPU in either 3300G/3500G or bumping it up to 4200G/4400G on 7 nm. PS5's CPU practically already is this without SMT (8-core with Navi) and probably with a different memory architecture (probably 16 GiB GDDR6).
Well, technically 3200G/3400G don't exist (yet?), but the mobile 3000-series APUs are all 12nm Zen+. It would sure be interesting if they launched them as low-end options, and then surprised us with, say, an R5 3500G (6c12t + Navi 16-20?) and R7 3700G (8c16t + Navi 20-24?) later in the year. I doubt we'd see these before B550 motherboards, though, as most X570 boards seem to lack display outputs.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
AMD Radeon RX 5000 is hybrid with elements of GCN - "pure" RDNA only in 2020 - Sweclockers
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/but81o
Navi die:
Capture.PNG