• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i9 9900k causes noises when running Primegrid

Hi all, i hope you can help me, or at least point me to some new ideas.

My i9 9900k causes some high pitched noises when i run Primgrid (a Boinc project) on it.
I've been testing on two AsRock Z390 Tachi Ultimate and one MSI Z390 Carbon. I also have now the third i9 9900k (all P0 revision). I've tested with GPU and without, tried several PSUs, even very old ones, as well. Always the same noise. Watercooling (AIO) or aircooling makes no difference.

The only change of the noise was, when i changed the memory frequency.

I am running the Primegrid subproject: The Riesel Problem LLR (TRP)
It allows to run one workunit on all cores of the processor with the app_config.xml file.

The CPU runs quiet except when i run Primegrid. The CPU draws around 180W all at stock in the Bios. Prime95 draws up to 200W but all quiet.

I am in contact with Intel, again, because i sen't the first CPU to them. Now with the third CPU i've gone though all the first level support stuff again, and no answer for a week now. I've been asking for a R0 Revision CPU.

All my other Intel CPUs run well with the same setup. (4790k, 5665C, 3960X, 2600K...)

I am having the problem for half a year now, and i've no idea what else i could try.

My current hypothesis is, that the soldered heatspreader might act as an amplifier. But i won't delid any 9900k just to test it. If someone has a delidded one, it would be nice to test with it.

I have made 2 videos with the noise. But you have to watch them to the end (around 40 seconds each). At the end you hear the variations of the noises.

Dropbox links:

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I believe that could be PSU or Graphic Card not processor.
But maybe it's hard to locate noise source. PSU and GPU want to make such noise.

Sadly i already tried several GPUs, even the on CPU one, and several PSUs. No difference in the noise.

List of what i tired so far:

- Three i9 9900k
-Onboard GPU, different PCI-E GPUs
-at least three different PSUs
-two AsRock and one MSI mainboards
-AIO Watercooling, Aircooling
-different Memory (noise changes with memory speed)

If the cpu is under load, you can even hear a difference in the noise when you move windows on the desktop around.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Maybe its a motherboard VRMs but you said you already tried it in different machines. Ive never heard of coilwhine coming from a CPU before.

Maybe its a motherboard VRMs but you said you already tried it in different machines. Ive never heard of coilwhine coming from a CPU before.
Well, i am not even sure if it is coil whining. The cpu has some VRM parts intigrated, that might cause the problem. I am also not sure what my load on the cpu is. It might be more or less full power all the time but some huge bursts for the Memory now and then.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Well, i am not even sure if it is coil whining. The cpu has some VRM parts intigrated, that might cause the problem. I am also not sure what my load on the cpu is. It might be more or less full power all the time but some huge bursts for the Memory now and then.

No it doesnt - VRMs are on motherboards. It is the motherboard that controls and regulates the voltage not the CPU - you dont set the CPU voltage on your CPU - you set it in your motherboard bios which has all the VRMs needed. Your CPU doesnt actually care how much power thats going through it, Its down to you to be smart about it and how much voltage you want your motherboard to put through it and how to regulate it.

Another way to find out what is making noise is to get a short bit of hose pipe and poke around the case with one end and hold the other end to your ear while your pc is making that noise.

No it doesnt - VRMs are on motherboards. It is the motherboard that controls and regulates the voltage not the CPU - you dont set the CPU voltage on your CPU - you set it in your motherboard bios which has all the VRMs needed. Your CPU doesnt actually care how much power thats going through it, Its down to you to be smart about it and how much voltage you want your motherboard to put through it and how to regulate it.

Another way to find out what is making noise is to get a short bit of hose pipe and poke around the case with one end and hold the other end to your ear while your pc is making that noise.

I will try the hosepipe for locating the sound. But from what i have tried only the cpu is left as the source of the noise. Even when i put my ear close to the board, i could locate the sound is most likely from the cpu. And remember, the sound was always the same, i even tried a different mainboard with a different VRM setup. Still the same noise.

About the VRM inside the CPU. I am not sure about the ninth gen ones. But Haswell and Broadwell had intigrated VRMs. But for Skylike intel moved it back on the mainboard for better overclocking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)#New_features

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
Dang, never heard of anything like this before. So basically 3 different systems (from part changes) are showing this symptoms. Is there any one component in the system that has been present in all testing (no matter how insignificant it may seem)? A USB expansion card? WiFi card? Soundcard?Anything?

One thing I would like to see is someone else with a 9900k try to run the work packet and see if they get the same symptoms.

You would probably be better off posting this in TPUs WCG forum for boinc help.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I will try the hosepipe for locating the sound. But from what i have tried only the cpu is left as the source of the noise. Even when i put my ear close to the board, i could locate the sound is most likely from the cpu. And remember, the sound was always the same, i even tried a different mainboard with a different VRM setup. Still the same noise.

About the VRM inside the CPU. I am not sure about the ninth gen ones. But Haswell and Broadwell had intigrated VRMs. But for Skylike intel moved it back on the mainboard for better overclocking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)#New_features
Seams like coil whine sound, high overclocks on CPU and memory can cause such a noise but not usually that loud , its normally very hard to hear especially amongst the fan noises.
Try, lowering the memory timings to a slow jedec speed say 2133 or 1666, we if the noise changes.
Very odd.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Last edited:
Dang, never heard of anything like this before. So basically 3 different systems (from part changes) are showing this symptoms. Is there any one component in the system that has been present in all testing (no matter how insignificant it may seem)? A USB expansion card? WiFi card? Soundcard?Anything?

One thing I would like to see is someone else with a 9900k try to run the work packet and see if they get the same symptoms.

You would probably be better off posting this in TPUs WCG forum for boinc help.
I have changed anything, unplugged displayport, so no display was present. Unplugged the keboard an the mouse. And tested a SATA and a NVME SSd.
The system is as bare as it gets. CPU, Memory, NVME-SSD. Keyboard and Mouse plugged in via USB (tried different ports) and display connected to Displayport.

I could post in the PrimeGrid forums. And i didn't know TPU has a dedicated WGC forum.

@theoneandonlymrk and Outback Bronze, memory frequency changes the noises frequency. Lower frequency, the lower the noise frequency. CPU is at stock frequencies. Lowering them changes the noise as well if i remember correctly. But not as significant as Memory frequency does.

Low quality post by jaggerwild
Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Easy fix stop running prime, as it puts undue stress on the CPU. Why would you put a Cheap AIO on a top of the line CPU? Oh now you want to delid it lolz! AsRock and MSI make cheap boards, its the VRM'S. Use Modeling clay around them, to isolate it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Easy fix stop running prime, as it puts undue stress on the CPU.

As he's doing it as a WCG dedicated project system, not going to happen.

AsRock and MSI make cheap boards, its the VRM'S.

MSI, maybe, but ASRock (in particular the boards he quoted) use excellent VRMs. Some of the best really.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
I will try the hosepipe for locating the sound.
If Google's definition of hose pipe is correct, that's not what you want to use. A short piece of PVC pipe would do. But, through the process of elimination, you've basically narrowed it down to the CPU anyway.
And i didn't know TPU has a dedicated WGC forum
WCG team notified, but no promises.

@W1zzard , any chance you can duplicate this, assuming you have the time?

Thanks so far guys. Totally forgot about Wizzard, haven't talked to him in ages.

I had the impression that basically everyone has a 9900k, because it is such a great CPU for gaming (lot of media talk about it on youtube as well) :D
I didn't think that only a few people, who can use them, got these. Even on Primegrid they are hard to find. More Xeons or x99 and x299 platforms there.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Just sounds like some kind of coil whine to me...
This was my first thought too. So i did do a RMA on the mainboard. Got another one back, still the same. RMA for the CPU, same again.

@Thefumigator it should be. All power outlets in Germany must have a ground connection. PSU is grounded an so is the mainboard then. And the CPU does not make any noise as long as i run normal tasks on it. The funny thing is, i had the first CPU running for quite some time. I had the noises even with normal tasks. You could hear windows start, and it different loads on the CPU.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Longshot perhaps but have you tried a different PSU?

Coil whine is a totally normal thing and not guaranteed to not be there... you’re worried over nothing.

You’ll never solve it, either. Current flowing through some of the components will always emit sound.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
In this case, only vibrating chokes on the vrm should be making sound...

I don't know about "always" emitting (audible) sounds and thinking that is somehow normal...its quite the opposite.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
+1 on the coil noise. try a different psu/motherboard/bios settings. coil noise is resonance, so it might go away due to a small change

Coil whine is a totally normal thing and not guaranteed to not be there... you’re worried over nothing.

You’ll never solve it, either. Current flowing through some of the components will always emit sound.
While that can be true, sometimes...

try a different psu/motherboard/bios settings. coil noise is resonance, so it might go away due to a small change
...changing to a higher quality or just different PSU can sometimes quiet coil-whine.

To pick up on the last 4 comments, shouldn't coil whine change when you try a different PSU, or a motherboard with a different VRM layout? The noise is always the same, no matter what i do. As soon as i run Primegrid the noise is there. And the coil whine is usually not as loud as this sound is.
I was testing the following PSUs:
-Seasonic 1000W Titanium
-Seasonic 860W Platinum
-Corsair AX 750
-Some crappy old Tagan 650W

Bios settings have also been changed several times. Still no difference in the sound.
The only change in the sound is achieved when i change the memory frequency. The lower the memory speed the lower the frequency.

The sound only is there when i run Primegrid. I have some coil whine on the normal tasks, but you have to get really close to the board to hear the coil whine then. The sound i have is clearly audible running Primegrid.

The only change in the sound is achieved when i change the memory frequency. The lower the memory speed the lower the frequency.
And that narrows down the culprit choke making the noise, the power phase for the RAM on the motherboard. I have a suggestion for dampening the noise a bit. Can you post a picture of your motherboard for us?