• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a big TV for gaming

System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
Thank for input, so there are long way to ermerge between monitor & Tv

There's definitely some major diferences between monitors and TV's, some of the features are shared though, like HDR and higher refresh rates. Mainly though, TV's have way worse input lag than the vast majority of monitors due to some of the signal processing they do.

AFAIK TV's that advertise high refresh rates don't compare to a monitor advertising the same refresh rate. 120/240hz on a monitor is true 120/240hz whereas TV's tend to achieve it by "cheating" so to speak. I'm not 100% clued up on it but from what I've read that seems to be how things are at the moment.

***If I'm wrong about how TV's achieve high refresh rates please enlighten me as I'd rather be set right if I'm putting out wrong info.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
There's definitely some major diferences between monitors and TV's, some of the features are shared though, like HDR and higher refresh rates. Mainly though, TV's have way worse input lag than the vast majority of monitors due to some of the signal processing they do.

AFAIK TV's that advertise high refresh rates don't compare to a monitor advertising the same refresh rate. 120/240hz on a monitor is true 120/240hz whereas TV's tend to achieve it by "cheating" so to speak. I'm not 100% clued up on it but from what I've read that seems to be how things are at the moment.

***If I'm wrong about how TV's achieve high refresh rates please enlighten me as I'd rather be set right if I'm putting out wrong info.

Interpolation. They calculate the missing frames to double refresh rate, which can also create artifacts. Monitors actually push the real frames generated by a GPU.

This also means you don't get the main advantage of higher refresh rate, which is essentially, so to speak, a 'higher polling rate' - you get more real updates per second on a monitor. On a TV, you really just get 50 or 60 updates per second to adjust your input to. The rest is fake. For competitive play, that is deadly. In addition, the TV's higher refresh rate has no positive effect on input lag, sometimes the opposite, depending on how interpolation is done.

That said, we are seeing TVs now with real, native 120hz. But a high refresh still is not equal to a low input lag. The TV can still be slow as molasses in the latter. But the general trend here is definitely positive, TVs get faster, but most of the time you need to go 'very premium' also in price.

System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
Interpolation. They calculate the missing frames to double refresh rate, which can also create artifacts. Monitors actually push the real frames generated by a GPU.

This also means you don't get the main advantage of higher refresh rate, which is essentially, so to speak, a 'higher polling rate' - you get more real updates per second on a monitor. On a TV, you really just get 50 or 60 updates per second to adjust your input to. The rest is fake. For competitive play, that is deadly. In addition, the TV's higher refresh rate has no positive effect on input lag, sometimes the opposite, depending on how interpolation is done.

That said, we are seeing TVs now with real, native 120hz. But a high refresh still is not equal to a low input lag. The TV can still be slow as molasses in the latter. But the general trend here is definitely positive, TVs get faster, but most of the time you need to go 'very premium' also in price.

Ahh, I knew they weren't getting true 120hz etc but wasn't clear on how they got there. Good to see they're finally addressing it and outputting true high refresh rates on some sets

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
To be fair 120hz on TVs is still unnecessary for the overwhelming majority of people with them, so there wasn't anything that really needed addressing. The only thing content that's > 60 Hz comes from PC games. The next gen consoles look like they'll hit these refresh rates, and since higher bandwidth HDMI cables allow for it you're seeing TVs that support it.

Hey guys i need advice for a big screen TV like a 55" inches to mount on my room wall and connect it to my graphics card for playing games like driving, platform ecc... All games that do not require to stay in front of a monitor like FPS.

I want something that is fast at least 120hz + refresh rate also with no tearing ( if possibile like freesync )

My budget 400 to 600 euros.

Thanks for any advice
Well, bro - there are a lot of options in the market. Though you can try looking for a monitor too. Some monitors have better characteristics than large TV's. Though if you want the huge screen. Go for it. Keep in mind that monitors are much better for gaming since they are much more responsive than TVs. However, if you don't mind the higher response rates and you want that big 55" you can pick a TV. There is a lot to be said when it comes to this, refer to this guide for more details if you wonder should you go with gaming monitor or TV

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
This should satisfy your needs. While not 120HZ it definitely rocks. You can usually find this for around your budget and it is a 4K IPS 10bit panel. the G to G is 5 ms on this.

This should satisfy your needs. While not 120HZ it definitely rocks. You can usually find this for around your budget and it is a 4K IPS 10bit panel. the G to G is 5 ms on this.

By the way it is not a TV but a monitor.