• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games Supports Blender Foundation with $1.2 million Epic MegaGrant

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Epic Games, as part of the company's $100 million Epic MegaGrants program, is awarding the Blender Foundation $1.2 million in cash to further the success of Blender, the free and open source 3D creation suite that supports the full range of tools empowering artists to create 3D graphics, animation, special effects or games.

The Epic MegaGrants initiative is designed to assist game developers, enterprise professionals, media and entertainment creators, students, educators, and tool developers doing outstanding work with Unreal Engine or enhancing open-source capabilities for the 3D graphics community.

The Epic MegaGrant will be delivered incrementally over the next three years and will contribute to Blender's Professionalizing Blender Development Initiative.

"Having Epic Games on board is a major milestone for Blender," said Blender Foundation founder and chairman Ton Roosendaal. "Thanks to the grant we will make a significant investment in our project organization to improve on-boarding, coordination and best practices for code quality. As a result, we expect more contributors from the industry to join our projects."

"Open tools, libraries and platforms are critical to the future of the digital content ecosystem," said Tim Sweeney, founder and CEO of Epic Games. "Blender is an enduring resource within the artistic community, and we aim to ensure its advancement to the benefit of all creators."

For more information about Epic MegaGrants, visit unrealengine.com/en-US/megagrants.

About Blender Foundation
The Blender Foundation (2002) is an independent nonprofit public benefit corporation with the purpose to provide individual artists and small teams with a complete, free and open source 3D creation pipeline, managed by public projects on blender.org. Its spin-off Blender Institute hosts the foundation's offices and currently employs 15 people who work on the Blender software and creative projects to validate and stress Blender in production environments.
For more information, visit blender.org/foundation.

About Unreal Engine
Epic Games' Unreal Engine technology brings high-quality games to PC, console, mobile, AR and VR platforms. Creators also use Unreal for photorealistic visualization, interactive product design, film, virtual production, mixed reality TV broadcast and animated entertainment. Follow @UnrealEngine and download Unreal for free at unrealengine.com.

About Epic Games
Founded in 1991, Epic Games is the creator of Fortnite, Unreal, Gears of War, Shadow Complex, and the Infinity Blade series of games. Epic's Unreal Engine technology, which brings high-fidelity, interactive experiences to PC, console, mobile, AR, VR and the Web, is freely available at unrealengine.com. The Epic Games store offers a handpicked library of games, available at epicgames.com. Follow @EpicGames for updates.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

That's pretty cool. Blender was doing really well on it's own, like the 2.80 version is modernizing the whole software and they are adding cool stuff every now and then.
These funds are well deserved and I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Easy Fortnite money for positive PR.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
Easy Fortnite money for positive PR.

They have been supporting the blender project for years, this is just extending it for another 3 years.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
They have been supporting the blender project for years, this is just extending it for another 3 years.

Now, if only they would fix the poor Radeon performance in Unreal Engine and stop with the exclusives crap, that will be great.

Last edited:
Now, if only they would fix the poor Radeon performance in Unreal Engine and stop with the exclusive crap, that will be great.
Do u really think Nvidia would allow them to that?

That's pretty cool. Blender was doing really well on it's own, like the 2.80 version is modernizing the whole software and they are adding cool stuff every now and then.
These funds are well deserved and I can't wait to see what they do with it.
Do u really believe it was "on its own"? Why would some one offer you a 'great' tool that for free? U ever gave it a thought?

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
Not really sure why this is news. A lot of companies back other businesses with grants or simply because they have a stake in the them.

Epic likes to back Blender - cool. Thanks for the info....I guess.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I know of a developer that applied for MegaGrant funds. I hope they get it.

I think the reason why Blender got money is because they're a corner stone for other indie games. The longer they keep it up, the healthier the indie ecosystem. Alternatives (especially 3DS Max) cost a fortune.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Do u really believe it was "on its own"? Why would some one offer you a 'great' tool that for free? U ever gave it a thought?

The same way Wikipedia, Mozilla et al manage to provide their services for free: A donation-based model sometimes augmented with extra paid services and most of the time mixed with a touch of enthusiasm to contribute something to humanity (and they are doing a darn good job at it).

F/OSS and related nonprofit orgs are a plenty, mate.

The same way Wikipedia, Mozilla et al manage to provide their services for free: A donation-based model sometimes augmented with extra paid services and most of the time mixed with a touch of enthusiasm to contribute something to humanity (and they are doing a darn good job at it).

F/OSS and related nonprofit orgs are a plenty, mate.
Offering the basics for free like in the case of da Vince Resolver is still ok because it charges only the "rich" people or the people who can actually pay.
There is a huge difference between Wikipedia, Mozilla and between Blender. While Both wiki and Mozilla are truely open source and are not used in commercial way and people can't use them to make something and get money of it but Blender is being used to create models, painting textures, rigging, animating and it even has a game engine built in it? Now all cheap labor in the world are using Blender and they really hurting the people working in the industry. A random guy on the internet now can do what youve being doing for years for 1/20th the price with Blender because he is paying nothing and has paid nothing in his whole life?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Not really sure why this is news. A lot of companies back other businesses with grants or simply because they have a stake in the them.

Epic likes to back Blender - cool. Thanks for the info....I guess.

You clicked anyway. Mission accomplished ;)

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Now Blender will run like shit on AMD hardware like every Unreal engine game.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
TAKE THAT, you launcher whiners :p (I just don't really need/use most of the features steam offers so I guess I'm biased) they are doing good things like this!

Anyway, I'm cherring up a lot more on the Blender side right now ...

Last edited:
This move, while very positive for the Blender folks, is very transparent. Epic did this only to make themselves look good and to win favor with the public.

TAKE THAT, you launcher whiners :p (I just don't use most of the features steam offers but that's just me) they are doing good things like this!
Oh hush up... :slap: :laugh:

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
No Timed Exclusive deal?
I am kinda disappointed.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Burn that data stealing POS to the ground!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
This bears repeating for those with the Epic-hate blinders on. This is not a one-time thing they suddenly did for publicity.

System Name poopy-chan
Processor 7950x
Motherboard asus x670e rog crosshair hero
Cooling dark rock pro 4
Memory 64GB kingston 5600
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage msi m480, kingston fury renegade, 860evo, 860qvo, 870qvo etc. 15TB ssd total, don't ask
Display(s) hp x32 1440p 165Hz
Case LianLi
Audio Device(s) creative sbx g6, dt 770 pro, hd 600
Power Supply HX1200
Mouse black but with rgb, shiny
Keyboard varmillo moonlight with numpad
Software win11
Offering the basics for free like in the case of da Vince Resolver is still ok because it charges only the "rich" people or the people who can actually pay.
There is a huge difference between Wikipedia, Mozilla and between Blender. While Both wiki and Mozilla are truely open source and are not used in commercial way and people can't use them to make something and get money of it but Blender is being used to create models, painting textures, rigging, animating and it even has a game engine built in it? Now all cheap labor in the world are using Blender and they really hurting the people working in the industry. A random guy on the internet now can do what youve being doing for years for 1/20th the price with Blender because he is paying nothing and has paid nothing in his whole life?

Blender is a backbone for indies. You basically say that it's ok to have Autodesk charge whatever they want and to keep people out of the industry. It's like saying "Krita is hurting Adobe, shut it down". If a random guy on the internet can do the same as the industry professional, maybe it's not Blender's fault. I work in the industry, and see Blender being used even on a AAA projects, by professionals. There are hardly any words suitable to describe my initial reaction to your message. Guess we better get back to times of costly one time license for UE3 no normal human can afford himself.

Blender is a backbone for indies. You basically say that it's ok to have Autodesk charge whatever they want and to keep people out of the industry. It's like saying "Krita is hurting Adobe, shut it down". If a random guy on the internet can do the same as the industry professional, maybe it's not Blender's fault. I work in the industry, and see Blender being used even on a AAA projects, by professionals. There are hardly any words suitable to describe my initial reaction to your message. Guess we better get back to times of costly one time license for UE3 no normal human can afford himself.
İt is a backbone for cheap labor. Yes Autodesk is charging too much but the answer is not to make something for free at all just to make game publishers, developers, engines etc win more because they will pay too much less for labor and for software.

System Name poopy-chan
Processor 7950x
Motherboard asus x670e rog crosshair hero
Cooling dark rock pro 4
Memory 64GB kingston 5600
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage msi m480, kingston fury renegade, 860evo, 860qvo, 870qvo etc. 15TB ssd total, don't ask
Display(s) hp x32 1440p 165Hz
Case LianLi
Audio Device(s) creative sbx g6, dt 770 pro, hd 600
Power Supply HX1200
Mouse black but with rgb, shiny
Keyboard varmillo moonlight with numpad
Software win11
İt is a backbone for cheap labor. Yes Autodesk is charging too much but the answer is not to make something for free at all just to make game publishers, developers, engines etc win more because they will pay too much less for labor and for software.

Blender can be an educational tool, can be used for academics, used for indie projects. Using Maya everywhere will not somehow make western studios competitive on price with some asian studios, and Blender has nothing to do with it. Artificial industry entry cost will not profit anyone except publishers, actual developers (engineers, artists) will not get anything from this. We can blame the same way Visual Studio Community Edition, or maybe Android OS, or Java maybe, or Linux. I can't see how this will help anyone in the industry. Blender should exist and give other software run for their money. And there better be some alternative to Allegorithmic software and many more. And it's the same for hardware.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Actually, Wikimedia's work can be and are used for commercial purposes. The same goes for Mozilla's "free" offerings (Bugzilla comes to mind).

Yes, Blender and co. are lowering the entry bar for the industry, but guess what? The industry isn't objecting. Not with all the game jams, expos, educational and training materials being put online, etc, etc.
There's of course an assumption that 3D artists are on demand only in the video game industry, which is very off the mark. Movies, architecture, various engineering fields, advertisement, printed media, are all large sectors on their own with -varrying degrees of- demand for 3D artists. That's not even putting recreational/hobbyist use in the list.

Heck, there's another false assumption in there that you'll see large influxes of 3D artists just because you have a free modelling software, as if that was the only reason one would choose to become a gamedev. Just because land and oxygen are free doesn't mean everyone chooses to become an athelete.

A final note: Not everything is a zero sum game.

Last edited:
System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
The figures have gone up each time as they have more money floating around to play with.

I think it was 11 or 12 they first donated to blender to fund tools for ue3. That I know of, maybe they did before but I wasn't paying attention before then. Then again when ue4 came out around 14. I think they paid for the fbx exporter to be fixed twice since then too, when Autodesk changed it just to be arses.

Admittedly they are self serving, as it was just to add support for their product, but anybody who thinks this is just a knee jerk reaction to garner favour is far from the truth.