• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Total War What is the best

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
So Total War 3 Kingdoms has been out for a while and I am sure most hard core player have finished a campaign. My question is in your opinion which is the best Total War game released. I will give you my top 5.

1. Total War Warhammer 1&2: For me this is the most varied in terms of faction mechanics. The visuals are also very nice.
2. Total War Shogun 2: The most beautiful Total War game with excellent one on one battles.
3. Total War 3 KIngdoms: This game runs butter smooth, has some nice new (old) mechanics.
4. Total War Medieval 2: To me this was the most immersive game I played up to that point.
5. Total War Attila: Rome 2 was good but Attila felt like how that game was supposed to be released.

I am sure others may have different opinions but I just what to know what people think.

System Name dell beast
Processor dual Xeon x5675
Motherboard dell t7500
Cooling stock
Memory 48gb ecc ddr3
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7870 Myst 2gb
Storage 2tb hpe ssd
Display(s) asus 23.8" 1080p
Case t7500
Audio Device(s) XFI soundblaster
Power Supply 1200watt dell
Mouse logitech
Keyboard logitech
Software win10x64
i'll throw in here :)

i haven't played all of them, for me though

Rome (the OG) what can i say i put in the most hours into this one, plus taking over europe is really neat
empire (it added ship battles and i'm all about some history of the colonies)
first shogun (it left me with my jaw on the floor on how huge it could be)

i've dabbled in a few of the other ones, but those are my top 3

1. Shogun - the original OG.
2. Warhammer II
I don't have a third favorite. After the fantasy one's, all of them look boring and not as complex as the Warhammer series. Small chance, but i hope of a Warhammer 40k adaptation for Total War, after Warhammer III comes out.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
1. Shogun 2. Expansions are also worth a few plays. I put this on top ONLY because it captured the TW formula so well so far in the past... but TW WH2 is most certainly the richer game. You will spend more hours in it for sure. I do fancy Shogun because it has samurai, its a fantastic setting and executed very well. The Last Samurai references all over the place are bonus also :)
2. Warhammer 2 - Especially Mortal Empires. The next turn takes a tad long with over 80 factions... but... its over 80 factions :) You can have a great week / month with this playing just one race. Faction variety and asymmetry is straight up awesome.

I actually bought Shogun 2 on Steam on this PC, and Warhammer 2 shortly prior to it... here's the playtime comparison.

In all fairness, you just need to have both. Problem is, for Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires you will also need to have part 1.

1. Shogun - the original OG.
2. Warhammer II
I don't have a third favorite. After the fantasy one's, all of them look boring and not as complex as the Warhammer series. Small chance, but i hope of a Warhammer 40k adaptation for Total War, after Warhammer III comes out.

Oh yes... yes. But then they can't really stick to a single world map, I imagine that would be a space campaign map, with ground battles. Honestly that is my second wet dream after the one about Total War Warhammer since I played Shogun 1 :) (true story)

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I haven’t played the latest but will throw in my two cents.

1. Rome Total War. I’ve a heavily modded version tweaked over the years and have put at least 2,500 hours into it since 2004. It’s the one game I invested large amounts of time in learning all the coding and interdependency rules for modding.

2. Shogun 2 about 400 hours of goodness in a time period I wasn’t even excited for! It was just well-done.

3. Total War: Attila. Specifically, one DLC which was profoundly brilliant!: the Last Roman. You play as General Belisarius in 533AD, commissioned by Emperor Justinian in Constantinople to retake the former Western Empire from several barbarian nations.

You are encouraged to keep your armies small and live on the go, basically having learned from the Huns how to pick up and move your whole army and town. All tech advancement etc comes from within your camp. These armies are very effective, and yet is is very challenging to keep your armies strong enough to fight, conquer and continue. Meanwhile, diplomacy must be skillfully balanced between your power hungry wife and Justinian. You find out quickly you cannot keep both happy.

That DLC is The Creative Assembly at the top of their game! It has been worth about 80 hours on that DLC.

4. Empire Total War. Despite the early problems, I picked this game up 2 years late and then threw in some good mods adding troops and armies and trade adjustments mostly, etc, then promptly put in 1,200 hours.

Medieval 2: Total War, specifically the America’s campaign, which basically runs up to the Empire Total War period, and the Crusades.

Last edited: