• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I7-8750 TS settings Helios 500

Lastofthefew

Hi I new to this forum and to TS (throttlestop)

I have a acer Helios 500 running i7_8750H CPU with win10 and TS 8.70

Please review currentsettings abd advise is adequate.

TS setting field
Epp _ 0 & checked
Speedstep checked
C1E checked
Bd proc hot checked

FIVR
cpu/cache -0.140
Turbo ratio limit's 41 All six cores
Disable & lock power limits installed and checked
Everything else in FIVR is @ defAult

Tpl field
Turbo long 70 clamp checked
Turbo short 70 clamp unchecked
Turbo time max (slider far right)
Enable Speed shift when TS start checked
All other settings in this field defaultrip

Run TS bench @1024
Power max 67.8
No throttling detected in limits window
Cpu speed costant 3780hz
Test time 91.3
Cpu temp during test 65-70

Gaming (battlefield v maxed to ultra d3d12)
Cpu constant @ 3.914
Cpu temp 65_70 occasionally spike 75
Gpu 2.0ghz + (clocked using pred sens)
Pred sens cpu limit set to max
Fans auto ( laptop cooler table on high)
Win10 power to performance

No issues playing games or temperature issues.

Question since I have turbo limit to 41 on all cores should I not see 4100hz during test and gaming ?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The 8750H has default turbo multipliers of 41, 41, 40, 40, 39, 39 from top to bottom in ThrottleStop. This CPU is locked by Intel so it cannot be overclocked. ThrottleStop left this adjustment open just in case someone came up with a trick but there has been nothing reported so far. Leave the turbo multipliers at their default settings. If you run a 1 Thread TS Bench test, you should see close to a 41 multiplier depending on how much background stuff is running on your computer. You will probably not see the full 41.00 multiplier, even during a single thread test because there are hundreds of Windows background threads that are constantly waking up additional cores. This instantly lowers the multiplier.

Work on getting your C0% number nice and low. Get rid of useless background tasks that are eating up CPU cycles. C0% is the best measure of how many background tasks are running on your computer. A 4 core, 8th Gen CPU can average 0.2% in C0 when idle.

No need to check BD PROCHOT. This allows sources outside of the CPU to throttle the CPU to 800 MHz. Most people are not interested in that "feature". If your CPU ever gets too hot, it will throttle. Throttling signals generated inside the CPU will still work regardless of your BD PROCHOT setting.

No need to check the Clamp options. Leave the turbo time limit at its default value of 28 seconds. The CPU might ignore your request if you request something that it does not understand.

Cpu speed costant 3780hz

That seems low. The typical BCLK speed reported by ThrottleStop for most laptops is ~99.769 MHz. Click the BCLK button a few times and you should see a reasonably consistent value. Once this is calibrated, ThrottleStop should be showing a consistent 39.00 multiplier when stress testing if your CPU is not throttling.
39.00 x 99.769 MHz = 3890.99 MHz

If you are using some other monitoring software or looking at MSI Afterburner while in game, you might not see this kind of precision and consistency. ;)

Good to see a Helios 500 working as intended. Why not post some ThrottleStop screenshots so other users can see how to get the most out of their new laptop.

Lastofthefew

Thanks for advise uncle Webb wI'll follow through and post pictures within 24hrs.

That clock speed was a mistype I do get a constant 3890hz in Ts window no throttling reported in limits window on T's bench or during gaming. Heat 65-70 occasionally 76 max.

How to I run single core T's bench?
How do I determined useless background tasks?

As requested unclewebb. I didn't have time to run T's bench after I made changes you advised but will do this evening and post results. These screenshots were taken during idle. Will also snapshot task manager processes and sys info and post them so that you may suggest which processes to disable.

Thanks
Lastofthefew

This is the screenshot of TS main window for gaming profile. Ive since swapped the profile order but the main window remains the same EPP "0"

This is the sceen shot of my basic Profile , the one i use when not gaming thats why the EPP is 128 .. Ive changed the profile order thats why profile 1 has a different epp below

FPS are low as im palying on Samsung 55" HDTV @ 1920x1080 60Hz and i have verticle sync enabled plus this was taken during cut scene
During Game play i get 60 - 70..
i most likely could increase fps considerably by turning vsync off and decreasing game quality from ULTRA to high. or just play through laptop screen. however despite the low fps the game plays fluidly without flaws.
temp vary between 60-66 with occasional 76 spikes
gpu constant @ near 2.0Ghz rarely goes over 50deg

Machine:
Acer predator 500 PH517-51
I7-8750H
Geforce GTX-1070
32Gb ram

win 10 build 18362
2x Nmve m.2 ssd evo 970
1x evo 860 ssd hdd

here are the screen shots for my 4 profiles

general which i use for mundane computing , no sense in running cores flat out unless im gaming
epp 128

here is my profile for gaming epp 0

here is my battery profile NOTE: epp 196 turbo disabled

here is my failsafe in case cores get to hot i set alarm in options to goto this profile which has epp 255 (min) and turbo disabled

here is the fvir for all profiles except that epp would read the same as whats in each of the corresponding profile main screens and the undervolt is the same for core / cache

here is the option settings alarm ( failsafe is set to swap to failsafe profile @ 85deg for cpu and 70deg for gpu i may lower this to 80deg if temps dont go higher than 76)

here is the TPL settings for all profiles max power is around 60W but i found if i set power max lower than 60W it would power throttle. i read on a forum that the power max should be set a 1-2w below your max but doesnt sound correct cause if your machine hits the max it will throttle so i used 70

here is the TS bench results

here is the limit window during and after ts bench was run

lastly ive attached the log file created during the test . i ran the test on a single core and got a little under 4.1 ghz constant

note test was carried out with notebook on cooler table (windpal FS running 2x 140mm fans ) and the main notebook fans on max with fans on auto it does reach 76deg while gaming but mostly runs between 65 & 70 with gpu between 40 & 50
i run the GPU @ extreme clock while hardcore gaming eg battlefield v set to ultra other lighter games gpu clock is set to normal and it runs constant at a little over 2.0ghz

id say im pleased with performance and temps before TS undervolt it would go over 80deg and was power throttling now during games it remains at a constant 3.9 without throttling or excessive temps.
Thanks to the creator of TS

Lastofthefew

Attachments

• 2019-08-15.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Lastofthefew

With regarda to tpl power max . If I'm getting 60w max on T's bench is my setting of 70 to high ?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
How to I run single core T's bench?
Open the TS Bench and near the top right, set the Threads to 1. When stability testing, especially on a laptop, it is a good idea to not only test full load stability but part load stability too. These processors are designed to run faster (higher multiplier) when lightly loaded so you need to test when the CPU is spending a lot of time running at the 41 multiplier. You can do the same thing with Prime95. Just run a thread or two of Prime95 and Windows should automatically bounce this load around from core to core. That is more of a real world load compared to just running the CPU flat out for hours on end.

Slowing a CPU down to 798 MHz will reduce peak power consumption but it might not reduce overall power consumption. CPUs are inefficient when running slow. It makes more sense for a CPU to run fast for short periods of time and then that allows them to spend more time in the low power C7 C state. When a core enters C7, it is disconnected from the power rail so it is sitting dormant at 0 Volts and 0 MHz. Here is a good paper about CPU power consumption from some smart guys at Berkeley.

It might help you rethink how modern CPUs save power. Intel designed Speed Shift around this concept. A CPU that quickly bursts to full speed, gets its work done and then just as quickly, returns to idle and goes into C7 is a good thing. A CPU locked to 798 MHz is not a good thing.

Your laptop cooling is excellent. If the cooling system can handle the CPU churning along at 70 watts then allow that to happen. The only reason a person might want to reduce the turbo power limits is if the cooling system is inadequate or perhaps if they are running on battery power and want to limit the peak power consumption to save the battery from degradation.

I hereby and happily give your Helios 500 my stamp of approval. The cooling system is excellent so the 8750H can reach its full potential. When it comes to cooling, some laptops with the 8750H have cooling solutions that are barely adequate. Most are pathetically inadequate. Manufacturers then have to come up with all sorts of throttling schemes to prevent too many of them ending up in their return pile. Your Helios 500 is a keeper. :toast:

Lastofthefew

UncleWebb thanks for the stamp.
Will give Prime95 a go see how it performs

it's only locked to 798hz on failsafe which looks like I will not be using due to excellent cooling on both CPU and gpu (max gpu 50°) .

Thinking of undervolting some more see how cool I can get it.