• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX Titan or RTX 2080Ti?

Upgrading from a SLi 770 (which is basically a GTX 1060 performance on a SLi optimized game). In Australia, they're about the same price more or less, matrix being slightly less so than the kingpin which stands at $3k last I checked....but read some comments in various youtube posts and forum posts that matrix and kingpin beats the titan even on its stock clock without any further overclocking required for the matrix or kingpin by the end user...

Also there are rumours about a RTX 2080Ti Super coming so that may or may not be involved in this purchase decision too....of course I read other articles saying that won't happen because for a Super variant to come would be to basically have an identical Titan stats except maybe gimp it in one area, say maybe 12GB VRAM instead of 24GB and have everything else as is, so at at least the Titan would have some reason to be purchased over the 2080Ti Super, otherwise it'd turn into the 780Ti and its equivalent Titan issue I read about sometime back....?

What's your opinion?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Dont waste 1200 USD on a card, grab a 2070 Super

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670e Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
Memory G-Skill Trident Z Neo @6000mhz CL30
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 OC
Storage Boot: 2tb Samsung 990 Pro, Files: 512gb Samsung 960 Pro
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Burson Swing, Burson Bang, Kef Q100
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000w
Mouse Razer Deathadder V2 Pro
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Win 11 Pro 64-bit
It all depends on what resolution & frames you want to run your games. Are you trying to future proof your system for another 5 years or do you want the best because you gotta have the best?

Like what @eidairaman1 said, save money and get a 2070 super. It does the job.

I have a 2080 ti and overkill for my system until I get a faster refresh rate monitor.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Dont waste 1200 USD on a card, grab a 2070 Super
Or even better, a discounted RTX 2080, which at least here goes for the same or less than the RTX 2070 Super.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
2080 ti is a really nice card for 4k/60 or 1440p/144hz. If you're gaming on anything lower then that buy a 2070 super as others have said.

The Titan RTX is a massive waste of money for anyone that is using it strictly for gaming the framebuffer is pointless you'll be able to buy a substantially faster card before 11GB isn't enough Vram.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Both cards scream avoid and a potential 2080ti Super will not really change that. 2080ti at 799-850 and we can start talking, but even that would be out of the comfort zone for what it really is, IMO.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
If you've made up your mind to get one or the other as the title of this thread implies then I would say grab a 2080 ti. You don't get much more gaming performance from the Titan and the price doubles. If you also use your rig for some type of work then maybe the Titan might make some sense.

I use my rig strictly for gaming at 1440p and if I were going to buy anything right now it would be a 2070 Super (close to the same performance of a 1080 Ti.)

Right now is just a tough time to recommend anything more than that. RTRT may or may not become the wave of the near future and prices are pretty high for this first series of RTX cards as it always is high with new tech for early adopters.

What resolution are you gaming at and what Hz is your monitor? Are extremely high FPS important to you? Do you use your rig for some type of work also?

Are you trying to future proof your system for another 5 years or do you want the best because you gotta have the best?
Yeah future proof - I guess, maybe a little bit of the 'gotta have the best' but that'll break the bank because then I would need to upgrade everything else! hah:laugh: Have two 770s thinking it would last longer and be better than a single 780Ti because at the time I didn't have the money for the more expensive 780Ti and wanted to try out what SLi performance was like for myself so I can get 1st hand experience....found out that some games aren't optimized for SLi which meant the 2nd card just idles whilst the 1st card is pegged at 100% usage, which may or may not be an issue; but for games where I'm not even hitting 60fps minimum, that is kinda an issue for me considering I did buy two cards for (expecting) double the performance than if I just got a single expensive powerful card...which in the real world is more like 1.5 or so times the performance of a single card, on average....
If you've made up your mind to get one or the other as the title of this thread implies then I would say grab a 2080 ti. You don't get much more gaming performance from the Titan and the price doubles. If you also use your rig for some type of work then maybe the Titan might make some sense.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/9w448d/nvidia-titan-rtx-24gb-gddr6-pci-express-30-graphics-card - oh....the last time I saw it, it was around $2500-ish AUD...I guess they've jacked the price up...hmmmm:wtf:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-video-card-rog-matrix-rtx2080ti-p11g-gaming, newegg *was* selling these for $2500 AUD last I checked or it might have been amazon.com or some other store...

What resolution are you gaming at and what Hz is your monitor? Are extremely high FPS important to you? Do you use your rig for some type of work also?
2560x1400 on a 144hz screen, so that means I would need to push 144fps; preferably with all graphical settings maxed out for that eye candy!:) I do have a 1920x1080 on a 144hz screen that I could use when my two 770s can't push those 144fps on the higher resolution size....so yes extremely high FPS is important to me as I would like a silky smooth gaming experience than a laggy one!

I wonder what it'd be like to try one of those 8K UHD screens out......and have a surround view of them for full 360....hahaha:laugh: Bah, I can only dream...:cry:

No, I don't use my rig for work....just pure gaming....and I don't dig mines either.... ;)

PS - I probably asked too soon....:oops: but opinions of fellow gamers and or benchmarkers are helpful I suppose.

EDIT:
Both cards scream avoid and a potential 2080ti Super will not really change that. 2080ti at 799-850 and we can start talking, but even that would be out of the comfort zone for what it really is, IMO.
That would be a reasonable response from someone who's not a hardcore gamer at heart or and doesn't have the money to support their own gaming hobby...

It was either this or get into cars.....and decent performance cars(Or at least nice looking ones - subjective of course) start at around $50k AUD......I don't exactly have $50k outlay or and more to upgrade my car and do race tracks on them.....

Naturaly seeing how gaming is cheaper than modding up your car in real life and race with it, tweaking as you go, etc., simulation/arcade games will have to satisfy my desires for any racing games I crave....for now....plus I can do other things too that you can't do in real life - such as immersing myself in a role playing fantasy world....or terrorizing people without being caught as a terrorist - you know just for kicks, enter a world of futuristic science technology, etc.

I could also just be a boring old guy who does nothing with their life for entertainment.....but I can't stand life without any entertainment....hah....

The Titan RTX is a massive waste of money for anyone that is using it strictly for gaming the framebuffer is pointless you'll be able to buy a substantially faster card before 11GB isn't enough Vram.
Sure, that's what they said about 4GB on the older cards, but I found out, with 1st hand experience, MineCraft, with some shader mods and graphics mods can actually break the 4GB barrier....since I don't have a 11GB VRAM card, I can't really say if it will use it all too or not.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 158293

Neither card is a good buys at their price points to put it lightly, so might as well go for gold with the Titan if you need to spend that much.

D

Deleted member 67555

Yeah future proof - I guess, maybe a little bit of the 'gotta have the best' but that'll break the bank because then I would need to upgrade everything else! hah:laugh: Have two 770s thinking it would last longer and be better than a single 780Ti because at the time I didn't have the money for the more expensive 780Ti and wanted to try out what SLi performance was like for myself so I can get 1st hand experience....found out that some games aren't optimized for SLi which meant the 2nd card just idles whilst the 1st card is pegged at 100% usage, which may or may not be an issue; but for games where I'm not even hitting 60fps minimum, that is kinda an issue for me considering I did buy two cards for (expecting) double the performance than if I just got a single expensive powerful card...which in the real world is more like 1.5 or so times the performance of a single card, on average....

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/9w448d/nvidia-titan-rtx-24gb-gddr6-pci-express-30-graphics-card - oh....the last time I saw it, it was around $2500-ish AUD...I guess they've jacked the price up...hmmmm:wtf:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-video-card-rog-matrix-rtx2080ti-p11g-gaming, newegg *was* selling these for $2500 AUD last I checked or it might have been amazon.com or some other store...

2560x1400 on a 144hz screen, so that means I would need to push 144fps; preferably with all graphical settings maxed out for that eye candy!:) I do have a 1920x1080 on a 144hz screen that I could use when my two 770s can't push those 144fps on the higher resolution size....so yes extremely high FPS is important to me as I would like a silky smooth gaming experience than a laggy one!

I wonder what it'd be like to try one of those 8K UHD screens out......and have a surround view of them for full 360....hahaha:laugh: Bah, I can only dream...:cry:

No, I don't use my rig for work....just pure gaming....and I don't dig mines either.... ;)

PS - I probably asked too soon....:oops: but opinions of fellow gamers and or benchmarkers are helpful I suppose.

EDIT:

That would be a reasonable response from someone who's not a hardcore gamer at heart or and doesn't have the money to support their own gaming hobby...

It was either this or get into cars.....and decent performance cars(Or at least nice looking ones - subjective of course) start at around $50k AUD......I don't exactly have $50k outlay or and more to upgrade my car and do race tracks on them.....

Naturaly seeing how gaming is cheaper than modding up your car in real life and race with it, tweaking as you go, etc., simulation/arcade games will have to satisfy my desires for any racing games I crave....for now....plus I can do other things too that you can't do in real life - such as immersing myself in a role playing fantasy world....or terrorizing people without being caught as a terrorist - you know just for kicks, enter a world of futuristic science technology, etc.

I could also just be a boring old guy who does nothing with their life for entertainment.....but I can't stand life without any entertainment....hah....

Sure, that's what they said about 4GB on the older cards, but I found out, with 1st hand experience, MineCraft, with some shader mods and graphics mods can actually break the 4GB barrier....since I don't have a 11GB VRAM card, I can't really say if it will use it all too or not.....
I think the 2080ti is the way to go.
I like your attitude.
Seriously guys look at what he's coming from.
This guy wants to enjoy his PC Ferrari until it's where his current rig is.
But they are trying to tell you, you can buy a Dodge Charger and then a Corvette a few years later and end up better off in 5 years and possibly still have had spent less than if you buy the Ferrari.

My wife has expressed gratitude that I am into PC's and not Cars.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

EDIT:

Well, if you want those extremely high FPS on a 1440p screen on some of today's demanding games then probably the best choice for you is the 2080 Ti but it's going to be expensive. Concerning VRAM usage, W1zzard puts that info in the games he reviews here. Three games that came to mind right off were:

Turning on RTX does use more VRAM but I have no way to guess if 11 GB VRAM will be enough for the life expectancy you are wanting for this card. Future requirements always go up but you may be wanting a faster GPU before the VRAM on a 2080 Ti becomes an issue.

Edit: another thing I just thought of is that you're going to need a CPU that's fast enough to feed the 2080 Ti for extremely high FPS. You may need to look at a new CPU and MOBO depending on what you have right now. You wouldn't want to spend all that money on a 2080 Ti and then find out you still can't get extremely high FPS. I also recommend 16 GB system RAM for gaming today.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Hey don't get me wrong, if you have a hobby you want to spend on, that is great. But that's a different perspective. Your OP is asking whether they're worth it. They're not if you know this industry a little bit, and they scream avoid louder than most cards have recently. And ehm... hardcore gamer is not determined by how much money you blow on hardware. Hardcore is not for the happy few with a big bank account, but for the dedicated 'who want to know and want to learn'. Splashing a few grand on parts is not 'entertainment' or 'hardcore', its just spending a few grand.

This gen is utterly shit for enthusiasts, its just that simple. If you like RTX demos, I guess you're having a good time... while it lasts :p

You're also pretty late in the release cycle already, and its remarkably much like cars, the moment you drive off from a showroom, its halved in value.

So, bottom line, if you want to toss money away, by all means and nobody is stopping you, but if THIS is the card you seek to future proof with.. you're doing it very, very wrong. You have half-assed RT technology and a big ass GPU that costs an arm and a leg on an OLD NODE. Next year Nvidia drops a 7nm range and you'll be facepalming hard - or cognitive dissonance kicks in hard and you justify this for yourself, but that still doesn't change anything.

In the larger scheme of things / generational increases, Turing is a horrible, horrible gen. Perf/dollar is worse than ever and you get early adopters tech that is fast looking to be a dead end. And all that for what, +30-40% over a 2 year old 1080ti .... lol

Sorry for the direct delivery, but it is what it is.

I'd seriously just knock it down a notch and keep a grand in the piggy bank for next GPU release. Future proofing on a GPU is a futile exercise, its the one part you will be replacing more than any other when upgrading. Staying current is arguably also much more fun. These ain't cars you will keep tinkering on to make them go faster. They go fast out of the box, and are locked down hard, and age fast.

You've made a 'meh' decision before jumping on SLI with a tight budget. Don't do it again, way overshooting the mark just because there is money to spare. There are more than enough other things to spend it on, even in a gaming rig, and make for an overall better experience.

I like your attitude.
But they are trying to tell you, you can buy a Dodge Charger and then a Corvette a few years later and end up better off in 5 years and possibly still have had spent less than if you buy the Ferrari.

Look what he's coming from, I've read several lines about budget issues, so there's that. Just because there is a desire thats literally out of reach doesn't justify burning money on other stuff :) In fact those are connected more so than you might think...

*rant mode off*

TL DR this upgrade path is just suboptimal.

Still though, if you're absolutely convinced you must spend big this round, by all means, and in that case yes, if you push up to 2080ti and the optimal, top end performance level you will need a platform/CPU upgrade too, and that also kinda means straight to 9900K for you. It also means you will need to keep that 9900K cool which immediately begs the question if you're ready and willing to go for custom water. After all, if you really want to extract top end perf from both card and CPU, every C will help as it also makes the GPU boost higher and you have more temp headroom to get 5Ghz and up on the CPU. You'll also want to look into solid RAM sticks, there is some tangible performance to be had from fast / low latency RAM.

I also run a high refresh rate rig and I can tell you right now, keeping solid 144hz is fata morgana. Forget about it. Best you can do is mitigate your FPS drops as much as possible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

I know how this sounds but here it is.
I feel like a high~end build right now would equate to just having built a Pentium D 965 extreme with an HD2900XT back in the day...just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither card is a good buys at their price points to put it lightly, so might as well go for gold with the Titan if you need to spend that much.
Yeah if I was going for an investment only, but I can't shove gold into my computer to increase my frame rate whilst still having all the eye candy turned on, now can I? :p
I like your attitude.

All the nice looking cars are so expensive...... I wish I was a rich guy to not worry about money troubles..... I had recently looked into the Dodge Challenger Helcat when I came across a youtube video of someone GTA'ing the car, as I haven't looked into cars for a good while and with god reasons too; and oh man would I love to own one of those!
Your OP is asking whether they're worth it.
Oh, well at the time I was typing that out I did have a clear mind set on one or the other, but forgot to check current prices...hah...:rolleyes::D:oops:
They're not if you know this industry a little bit, and they scream avoid louder than most cards have recently.
My aplogies, I haven't been following tech news recently....just felt like I an urge to get some more oomph than my SLi 770 could currently deliver...and read that the Titan and 2080Ti was the best performance card with no competition as of today....and naturally would pick one of them....
And ehm... hardcore gamer is not determined by how much money you blow on hardware. Hardcore is not for the happy few with a big bank account, but for the dedicated 'who want to know and want to learn'. Splashing a few grand on parts is not 'entertainment' or 'hardcore', its just spending a few grand.
Thought you were gonna say for those who spend more than a thousand dollars on anything is just a brainless rich idiot who can't tell whether it's highway robbery or actually a decent bargain. :laugh: I guess my hardcore terminology definition is slightly different to yours...

This gen is utterly shit for enthusiasts, its just that simple. If you like RTX demos, I guess you're having a good time... while it lasts :p

You're also pretty late in the release cycle already, and its remarkably much like cars, the moment you drive off from a showroom, its halved in value.

So, bottom line, if you want to toss money away, by all means and nobody is stopping you, but if THIS is the card you seek to future proof with.. you're doing it very, very wrong. You have half-assed RT technology and a big ass GPU that costs an arm and a leg on an OLD NODE. Next year Nvidia drops a 7nm range and you'll be facepalming hard - or cognitive dissonance kicks in hard and you justify this for yourself, but that still doesn't change anything.

In the larger scheme of things / generational increases, Turing is a horrible, horrible gen. Perf/dollar is worse than ever and you get early adopters tech that is fast looking to be a dead end. And all that for what, +30-40% over a 2 year old 1080ti .... lol
Yeah I am a bit late to the party, but that's mainly coz I haven't played any games where I had the urge to need to upgrade from SLi 770s or if I did, I couldn't afford it at the time of release date. But then I followed the news on a kingpin and matrix release and thought maybe I should jump on them? I guess I got sucked into the hype train....

What if I have no intentions of using RT? Since RT isn't supported on windows 7....last I checked anyways.... I'm just interested in its raw performance compared to that of my SLi 770s....which, according to https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-6-gb.c2862, since various sources suggests an optimised game running on SLi 770 would be equivalent to a GTX 1060, an RTX 2080Ti is 240% better performing and a Titan RTX is supposedly ~18% better performing than a stock 2080Ti according to this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/titan-rtx.c3311 and I assume relative performance is based on stock cards and stock specs at 1920x1080, but higher resolutions will be slightly less due to the load increase....or it could be more because better cards will do better than not so good cards at higher resolutions....

I'd seriously just knock it down a notch and keep a grand in the piggy bank for next GPU release. Future proofing on a GPU is a futile exercise, its the one part you will be replacing more than any other when upgrading. Staying current is arguably also much more fun. These ain't cars you will keep tinkering on to make them go faster. They go fast out of the box, and are locked down hard, and age fast.
OK I may have given that a little too opened ended and should have specified when I meant "future proofing".... My future proofing is to have it last a good few years....just like my now aging SLi 770s...which barely breaks 30fps in some games at 2560x1440....the newest Tomb Raider comes to mind on this....would have to turn down settings to get acceptable playable frame rate.....which I prefer not to sacrifice on...but this could be hypocritical of me since I can't use RT on windows 7 anyways where games have an option for it....but RT does look nice on lighting, I guess....

Yes staying current does sound like a fun adventure, albeit I don't have the necessary cash-flow to keep going every year....and this is my bane, which also the reason I can't afford them nice performance cars heh...sure you can just say get a job or a better paying job - that way you can play with nice things! Alas, unless you can refer me to a guaranteed (decent paying in your (or mine) eyes) job, then I'll just have to live with my current life...

You've made a 'meh' decision before jumping on SLI with a tight budget. Don't do it again, way overshooting the mark just because there is money to spare. There are more than enough other things to spend it on, even in a gaming rig, and make for an overall better experience.
Well what else could I have spent the money on if not a SLi 770 setup at the time? I was still learning how to build computers from scratch and this was my first or actually 2nd build, the 1st which was boned due to an AIO water leak... was running Q9650 OC'd to 3.2Ghz I think(couldn' get any higher), CF HD 7970 GHz Edition, 8GB RAM and some Intel board, I forget the model... But 2nd build I have has much better specs....which is what I'm currently running...

Still though, if you're absolutely convinced you must spend big this round, by all means, and in that case yes, if you push up to 2080ti and the optimal, top end performance level you will need a platform/CPU upgrade too, and that also kinda means straight to 9900K for you. It also means you will need to keep that 9900K cool which immediately begs the question if you're ready and willing to go for custom water. After all, if you really want to extract top end perf from both card and CPU, every C will help as it also makes the GPU boost higher and you have more temp headroom to get 5Ghz and up on the CPU. You'll also want to look into solid RAM sticks, there is some tangible performance to be had from fast / low latency RAM.
So a 2nd gen extreme i7, even if OC'd (which I haven't yet due to thermal issues....) won't cut it....? I'm happy to do a custom water loop...actually have one running....but just barely enough to cool a 100% utilized 3970x on stock clock, so would need to look into connecting a bigger rad into the loop or go phase cooling where the temps are definitely cool.......or make a third build....this time with phase cooling or chill box in the design....read a few threads but they require a custom case.....and my engineering skills aren't quite up to scratch to do that...I mean I *could* do it, but it might not look or appear what I had envisioned in the first place....plus there's the money problem too...hahaha...why do I even bother? :rolleyes::laugh:

At this point you're probably thinking I'm just some lowly poor student or and poor "hardcore" gamer (as some are) who dreams big on computer hardware and eye candy whilst still retaining a high frame rate and questioning why I would want to drop $4k AUD on a top end card when I clearly don't have it all figured out, yet and why I bothered to get a 144hz monitor for gaming if I couldn't keep up the frames either...:p:shadedshu:

So you(Or what appears to be a majority of posters here) suggest I should just wait for the next round which will probably come in a few months? And jump on that instead? And this time not to wait too long before jumping?

I know how this sounds but here it is.
I feel like a high~end build right now would equate to just having built a Pentium D 965 extreme with an HD2900XT back in the day...just saying
Wasn't there when this happened....so I can't really relate to that....

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Go with the titan and put it under water.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Yeah if I was going for an investment only, but I can't shove gold into my computer to increase my frame rate whilst still having all the eye candy turned on, now can I? :p
All the nice looking cars are so expensive...... I wish I was a rich guy to not worry about money troubles..... I had recently looked into the Dodge Challenger Helcat when I came across a youtube video of someone GTA'ing the car, as I haven't looked into cars for a good while and with god reasons too; and oh man would I love to own one of those!
Oh, well at the time I was typing that out I did have a clear mind set on one or the other, but forgot to check current prices...hah...:rolleyes::D:oops: My aplogies, I haven't been following tech news recently....just felt like I an urge to get some more oomph than my SLi 770 could currently deliver...and read that the Titan and 2080Ti was the best performance card with no competition as of today....and naturally would pick one of them.... Thought you were gonna say for those who spend more than a thousand dollars on anything is just a brainless rich idiot who can't tell whether it's highway robbery or actually a decent bargain. :laugh: I guess my hardcore terminology definition is slightly different to yours...

Yeah I am a bit late to the party, but that's mainly coz I haven't played any games where I had the urge to need to upgrade from SLi 770s or if I did, I couldn't afford it at the time of release date. But then I followed the news on a kingpin and matrix release and thought maybe I should jump on them? I guess I got sucked into the hype train....

What if I have no intentions of using RT? Since RT isn't supported on windows 7....last I checked anyways.... I'm just interested in its raw performance compared to that of my SLi 770s....which, according to https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-6-gb.c2862, since various sources suggests an optimised game running on SLi 770 would be equivalent to a GTX 1060, an RTX 2080Ti is 240% better performing and a Titan RTX is supposedly ~18% better performing than a stock 2080Ti according to this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/titan-rtx.c3311 and I assume relative performance is based on stock cards and stock specs at 1920x1080, but higher resolutions will be slightly less due to the load increase....or it could be more because better cards will do better than not so good cards at higher resolutions....

OK I may have given that a little too opened ended and should have specified when I meant "future proofing".... My future proofing is to have it last a good few years....just like my now aging SLi 770s...which barely breaks 30fps in some games at 2560x1440....the newest Tomb Raider comes to mind on this....would have to turn down settings to get acceptable playable frame rate.....which I prefer not to sacrifice on...but this could be hypocritical of me since I can't use RT on windows 7 anyways where games have an option for it....but RT does look nice on lighting, I guess....

Yes staying current does sound like a fun adventure, albeit I don't have the necessary cash-flow to keep going every year....and this is my bane, which also the reason I can't afford them nice performance cars heh...sure you can just say get a job or a better paying job - that way you can play with nice things! Alas, unless you can refer me to a guaranteed (decent paying in your (or mine) eyes) job, then I'll just have to live with my current life...

Well what else could I have spent the money on if not a SLi 770 setup at the time? I was still learning how to build computers from scratch and this was my first or actually 2nd build, the 1st which was boned due to an AIO water leak... was running Q9650 OC'd to 3.2Ghz I think(couldn' get any higher), CF HD 7970 GHz Edition, 8GB RAM and some Intel board, I forget the model... But 2nd build I have has much better specs....which is what I'm currently running...

So a 2nd gen extreme i7, even if OC'd (which I haven't yet due to thermal issues....) won't cut it....? I'm happy to do a custom water loop...actually have one running....but just barely enough to cool a 100% utilized 3970x on stock clock, so would need to look into connecting a bigger rad into the loop or go phase cooling where the temps are definitely cool.......or make a third build....this time with phase cooling or chill box in the design....read a few threads but they require a custom case.....and my engineering skills aren't quite up to scratch to do that...I mean I *could* do it, but it might not look or appear what I had envisioned in the first place....plus there's the money problem too...hahaha...why do I even bother? :rolleyes::laugh:

At this point you're probably thinking I'm just some lowly poor student or and poor "hardcore" gamer (as some are) who dreams big on computer hardware and eye candy whilst still retaining a high frame rate and questioning why I would want to drop $4k AUD on a top end card when I clearly don't have it all figured out, yet and why I bothered to get a 144hz monitor for gaming if I couldn't keep up the frames either...:p:shadedshu:

So you(Or what appears to be a majority of posters here) suggest I should just wait for the next round which will probably come in a few months? And jump on that instead? And this time not to wait too long before jumping?

Wasn't there when this happened....so I can't really relate to that....

Glad to see you are open to the suggestions/thoughts offered.

Coming from your current setup I would say, grab an RTX 2070 Super, or an RTX 2080 vanilla. Great performance jump from your current setup, good perf/dollar and for 1440p it will deliver.

Youve talked about money and budget - moving the goal post from 'the best' to 'high end' gives you quality gaming too, and you probably wont ever notice the difference. We all have money we can only spend once. Ive made it a bit of a personal challenge to get max performance over time out if my cash.

After all, its a hobby, and to me, part of the fun is getting the most out of the hardware. Buying into major overkill doesnt help that, it creates 'waste'. The most cost effective systems are those that are pushed to the limit.

Dont go blind on performance gaps between old and new -240% sounds impressive but when the starting point was 10 FPS, youve still got shit gaming going on ;) Instead, set a target (like 1440p, 60 fps minimum) and buy parts around that target. You will see some GPUs excel or do worse at certain reolutions - your 770 setup now runs into major VRAM troubles that a new single card wont have, for example.

Added advantage of not overkilling the GPU is less heat in the case, which is less noise coming out too.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Have you not read any actual reviews of the 2 cards you're considering?

The RTX Titan is Barely faster you would likely need a water block to notice any difference from a custom AIB 2080 ti.