• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Makes Gains in GPU Shipments in Q2-2019: Jon Peddie Research

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The PC GPU market sequentially increased by 0.6% in Q2'19, decreased year-to-year by -10.4% This is the latest report from Jon Peddie Research on the GPUs used in PCs. It is reporting on the results of Q2'19 GPU shipments world-wide. AMD shipments increased 9.8% NVIDIA was flat and Intel's shipments, decreased -1.4% as indicated in the following chart.

Even though there is uncertainty in the notebook supply chain, there has been a record number of new notebook announcements, and systems with amazing specifications in performance, battery life, and screen resolution. Specialized notebooks that sit somewhere between workstations and enthusiast PCs are arriving on the market for creative professionals. Strong graphics subsystems are an important selling point for these machines.

In seasonal cycles of the past, overall graphics shipments in the second quarter are typically down from the previous quarter. For Q2'19, it increased by 0.6% from last quarter and was greater than the ten-year average of -2%.

This quarter's shipments of total graphics processors (integrated/embedded and discrete) increased 0.6% from the previous quarter, which is a decline in the ten-year average historical rate of 0.9%. A total of 76.7 million units were shipped in Q2'19 which decreased by -8.93 million units from the same quarter a year ago indicating the market is negative. on a year-to-year basis.

Quick highlights
  • AMD's overall unit shipments increased 9.85% quarter-to-quarter, Intel's total shipments decreased -1.44% from last quarter, and NVIDIA's decreased -0.04%.
  • The attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 120% which was down -10.38% from last quarter.
  • Discrete GPUs were in 26.95% of PCs,down -1.99% from last quarter.
  • The overall PC market increased by 9.25% quarter-to-quarter and increased by 3.07% year-to-year.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs decreased -16.62% from last quarter.
  • Q2'19 saw a decrease in tablet shipments from last quarter.
The second quarter is typically down from the previous quarter, however, this quarter saw an increase.

GPUs are traditionally a leading indicator of the market, since a GPU goes into every system before it is shipped, and most of the PC vendors are guiding optimistically for next quarter, an average of 13%.

JPR also publishes a series of reports on the PC Gaming Hardware Market, which covers the total market including system and accessories, and looks at 31 countries.

Pricing and Availability
JPR's Market Watch is available now in both electronic and hard copy editions and sells for $2,750. Included with this report is an Excel workbook with the data used to create the charts, the charts themselves, and supplemental information. The annual subscription price for JPR's Market Watch is $5,500 and includes four quarterly issues. Full subscribers to JPR services receive Tech Watch (the company's bi-weekly report) and a copy of Market Watch as part of their subscription.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
not at all.
Why not?? If you want to count APU which include moble APU why not count mobile GPU??
And do you think Nvidia's shipment dont include their mobile GPU's, then you are wrong.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Significantly more viable stats then steams ,nice uptick for Amd and flat growth for Nvidia.
Good they both need to get with the program , more performance less cost please.
Hopefully some market battleing will happen now it's clear Super didn't pull the crowds.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Haha, AMD actually beat nVidia this quarter.

Significantly more viable stats then steams ,nice uptick for Amd and flat growth for Nvidia.
16% drop YoY, could be called "flat growth" if it is nvidia, I guess.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Why not?? If you want to count APU which include moble APU why not count mobile GPU??
And do you think Nvidia's shipment dont include their mobile GPU's, then you are wrong.
MX130 mobile GPUs are discreete GPUs, as in an additional chip. APUs are not.

Because discrete GPU means GPU only as an add-on card. That is why Intel spanks both companies in total GPUs sold. They only ship integrated GPUs. These numbers include discreet, integrated (APU) and console.

Haha, AMD actually beat nVidia this quarter.

16% drop YoY, could be called "flat growth" if it is nvidia, I guess.

Yes, AMD shipped more GPUs than Nvidia. And Intel spanked both of them. This includes consoles and APUs.

Because discrete GPU means GPU only as an add-on card. That is why Intel spanks both companies in total GPUs sold. They only ship integrated GPUs. These numbers include discreet, integrated (APU) and console.

Yes, AMD shipped more GPUs than Nvidia. And Intel spanked both of them. This includes consoles and APUs.

It does not INCLUDE CONSOLES and no intel did not spank cause intel is down. The ONLY reason intel has this much is the obvious fact that their cpu-s have IGP

Update 8/29/19 7:55am PT: Jon
Peddie Research provided us with more market share information, which
we added below. We also removed reference to graphics units present in
consoles, as the report only quantifies PC-based graphics units.

AMD Overtakes NVIDIA In GPU Market Share For The First Time Since Q3 2014 – Jon Peddie Research

better factual title

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
I been looking at video cards not working on Ebay(off topic I know)but even AMD cards are selling broken for what they cost working? I picked up an RX570 8GB AMD and 2 AMD RX480 red Devils, all do not work but soon will. OK Back on Topic.

LOL @ Intel with 66% market share

There's no Console gpus counted on these, only igpus and dgpus.

Good they both need to get with the program , more performance less cost please.
Hopefully some market battleing will happen now it's clear Super didn't pull the crowds.

Steam stats, while are quite flawed, are still quite in line with jon peddie research reports. By Jon peddie AIB reports, Nvidia have out sold amd ~3:1 in dgpu segment quarter after quarter for years now. If that does not show in gaming orientated stats, I would not call them very accurate.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
There's no Console gpus counted on these, only igpus and dgpus.

Steam stats, while are quite flawed, are still quite in line with jon peddie research reports. By Jon peddie AIB reports, Nvidia have out sold amd ~3:1 in dgpu segment quarter after quarter for years now. If that does not show in gaming orientated stats, I would not call them very accurate.
I dissagree ,about steams reliability , nvidia sales i could see as reasonable. Just clarified what i dissagreed with.

Last edited:
It does not INCLUDE CONSOLES and no intel did not spank cause intel is down. The ONLY reason intel has this much is the obvious fact that their cpu-s have IGP

Update 8/29/19 7:55am PT: Jon
Peddie Research provided us with more market share information, which
we added below. We also removed reference to graphics units present in
consoles, as the report only quantifies PC-based graphics units.

AMD Overtakes NVIDIA In GPU Market Share For The First Time Since Q3 2014 – Jon Peddie Research

better factual title

I stand corrected. The article I read earlier said it included consoles.

Just because Intel is down, doesn't mean they didn't spank both other companies. If you are going to count integrated from AMD, then why not count them from Intel?

I dissagree.

That's fine and we agree to disagree...

Just saying that this report and Steam hw survey counts a bit different use space and by that are not even very comparable. Their AIB board reports are more inline with what Steam tries to collect, but even with those are collecting different stats. Jon Peddie collect quantity of sold skus by quarters, steam collects it's user space hardware old and new...

And in speaking of AIB reports, AMD has raised quite bit market share on just released AIB board report, too. Great product with great price sell.

Actually no. Consoles are not included and AMD does not inc. embedded IGP in its best selling cpu's. AMD is not selling hardly any apu's so clearly AMD has beaten Nvidia this quarter. Intel doesn't even count until they make their own dGPU. Also AMD makes the graphic chips Intel is selling in their apu's, so AMD is really on top when you add AMD graphic equiped Intel processors and consoles. RTX anyone? 8D

Actually no. Consoles are not included and AMD does not inc. embedded IGP in its best selling cpu's. AMD is not selling hardly any apu's so clearly AMD has beaten Nvidia this quarter. Intel doesn't even count until they make their own dGPU. Also AMD makes the graphic chips Intel is selling in their apu's, so AMD is really on top when you add AMD graphic equiped Intel processors and consoles. RTX anyone? 8D

Hold on m8. i would not go as far as to say that amd did not sell the 2000g series

I'm quite astonished by the comments. :/

The reason why AMD beat Nvidia in this comparison is not their discrete GPUs (which are still rubbish and don't sell very well).
It's the fact that for the first time in many years AMD has a serious mobile CPU offer - all of which include an IGP.

This comment likely being the dumbest of all.
Intel is obviously making their own IGP.
You meant the chips with Vega? They sell so few of these, they're not even noticeable in these statistics. And even then, I don't see why they wouldn't be counted as AMD's. Intel merely solders a Vega to a PCB.

AMD is not selling APUs? Seriously?
Mobile CPUs outsell desktop CPUs. AMD has ~14% share in the former and ~17% in the latter (Mercury Research 2019Q2). Which means it's very close to 50:50. That's even without Ryzen G.

Last edited:
I'm quite astonished by the comments. :/

The reason why AMD beat Nvidia in this comparison is not their discrete GPUs (which are still rubbish and don't sell very well).
It's the fact that for the first time in many years AMD has a serious mobile CPU offer - all of which include an IGP.

This comment likely being the dumbest of all.
Intel is obviously making their own IGP.
You meant the chips with Vega? They sell so few of these, they're not even noticeable in these statistics. And even then, I don't see why they wouldn't be counted as AMD's. Intel merely solders a Vega to a PCB.

AMD is not selling APUs? Seriously?
Mobile CPUs outsell desktop CPUs. AMD has ~14% share in the former and ~17% in the latter (Mercury Research 2019Q2). Which means it's very close to 50:50. That's even without Ryzen G.

Navi is rubbish and dont sell well but TURING is a big seller?' Piss of with that stupidity.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
From the stock availability of the SUPER line and the RX 5700 line, it looks like both new launches are selling well. AMD has a compelling couple of new cards, and are still selling 570's like crazy. Nvidia, unfortunately, is its own biggest competitor, and I think anything above the 2070 Super is not selling to Pascal owners very well. Essentially, everyone with a 1080 Ti is waiting or already bought a 2080 or 2080 Ti. And the 2060 and 2060 Super are not much of an upgrade to push 1070 or 1060 owners to jump. AMD is proving to be a big competitor to not only the 2060 and 2060 Super, as expected, but the 2070 Super as well since the 5700 XT gives 90% of the performance for 80% of the price.

I'll be curious to see how this changes going forward in the next year. Big RTX releases may chill enthusiasm for the 5700 line, or new console details confirming raytracing support could make potential AMD fans nervous about not being able to reach parity with consoles in multiplatform releases. Or maybe the average GPU buyer doesn't care and the superior rasterization value of the 5700 will keep people buying until a raytracing Navi can come out. Intel releasing a midrange GPU would cut into AMD's ability to be the value proposition. And who knows what would happen if Nvidia releases their own 7 nm products next summer. At least for now, AMD finally has an opening into the GPU market and not just from brand loyalists or Nvidia stock shortages. Let's hope they keep their R&D working on Big Navi and put a little more TLC into the drivers so people that do take a leap on the 5700 cards don't return them.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia says...... OUCH:roll:

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
I think what we have here is AMD mind share getting traction. More users are aware that they have good CPUs now and there is higher chance they will check out Radeon cards performance.