• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xigmatek Zest

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Xigmatek Zest is one hefty chassis that throws RGBs at us in every possible way: by embedding them into two 200 mm fans, the company logo, and a third fan in the rear, just for good measure. It looks like a sleek and large case that promises to handle any hardware.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point I think I'd settle for Darksaber demonstrating a working knowledge of how fans work.
I suppose.

Although, I would settle for renaming case reviews to "sponsored unboxings", or something along those lines. They would still be useless, but it's less work than doing actual reviews, and it would at least be honest.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
plastic in the front allowing for zero airflow, but hey, highly recommended.... come on TPU, either review these cases properly or just dont do it at all, right now you are giving people poor advice.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Bruh the whole point of the front fan is for the glowing color ring ...o_O

Also, the graphics card looks like a GTX 280, not like a
"Long: ASUS Radeon RX580"

I agree that something has to be done in testing regarding temperature and noise. Its crucial.

I agree, airflow is gonna be minimal, as GN demonstrated especially 200mm fans dont deal with restricted intake well at all, and there is basically no intake here - and what little airflow is gonna be there dosent get to the GPU because of that ridiculous HDD cage.
Plus on top of that, since they had to spend all their budget on glass and RGB, the frame looks more like a 60$ case.
Thanks but no thanks.

I think the trend for new and upcoming cases will be airflow once again as now we have gpu''s hitting 300W. CPU'S hitting 150W. And this USB shannigans must be dealt with it is so confusing with many types of a,b,c.....Meshify C, CM Nr600 these are the future.

Meshify C, CM Nr600 these are the future.
That future may not happen fast enough (or at all) if websites like TPU tell users that ovens like these are good cases (even though they have no airflow whatsoever) simply because they are paid to do so by the case manufacturers.

Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
@Darksaber @W1zzard

Is it not a massive oversight in this review to not mention that there is literally zero air intake available for those fans? The only intake in the entire case is *behind* them?
At this point I think I'd settle for Darksaber demonstrating a working knowledge of how fans work.
I suppose.

Although, I would settle for renaming case reviews to "sponsored unboxings", or something along those lines. They would still be useless, but it's less work than doing actual reviews, and it would at least be honest.
plastic in the front allowing for zero airflow, but hey, highly recommended.... come on TPU, either review these cases properly or just dont do it at all, right now you are giving people poor advice.
I guess there's no need for airflow when you have unnecessary RGB.

:kookoo:
I agree, airflow is gonna be minimal, as GN demonstrated especially 200mm fans dont deal with restricted intake well at all, and there is basically no intake here - and what little airflow is gonna be there dosent get to the GPU because of that ridiculous HDD cage.
Plus on top of that, since they had to spend all their budget on glass and RGB, the frame looks more like a 60$ case.
Thanks but no thanks.

If you use your eyes and actually look closely at the pictures you can see there is a 1-2mm gap between the glass and the plastic frame in a horseshoe shape. Although not much and definitely restritive, at least it's something. while i do appreciate how Steve has opened the communities eyes in terms of what to look for in a good performing case i do not like how toxic and pompous its made people become by parroting his thoughts and testing methodology. If you dont like the review you could give some constructive criticism and feedback on how to improve instead of bashing the review. IE, you don't like it, go some where else and let be.

Last edited:
System Name Bongfjaes
Processor AMD 3700x
Motherboard Assus Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MT/s CL14
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB + Lots of spinning rust
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2268wm
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic TTR-1000
Mouse Pro Intellimouse
Keyboard SteelKeys 6G
If you use your eyes and actually look closely at the pictures you can see there is a 1-2mm gap between the glass and the plastic frame in a horseshoe shape. Although not much and definitely restritive, at least it's something. while i do appreciate how Steve has opened the communities eyes in terms of what to look for in a good performing case i do not like how toxic and pompous its made people become by parroting his thoughts and testing methodology. If you dont like the review you could give some constructive criticism and feedback on how to improve instead of bashing the review. IE, you don't like it, go some where else and let be.

Yes, lets call peope toxic when its been asked for, for how long?, i dont know - i know ive asked once, same for 0.1% lows for GPU reviews, and DPC latency tests for mobo reviews.

At some point people give up trying to sugarcoat everything, and just say blurt out what they mean in a crude manner due to feeling like the input theyve given before has been brushed aside.

In the end its up to the reviewers what they want to do or not, but i totally agree these case reviews are nothing more than good unboxings with nice pictures.

And if you use your eyes, you will see that people have been providing constructive criticism and feedback in other threads. There is only so many times users can be polite and constructive while being completely ignored, before they drop the formalities.

And no, that 1-2 mm gap means nothing. It's like saying that a 5-cent discount on a $100 purchase is better than nothing. Sure, theoretically it is but in practice does it change anything?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Guys, two things

1: Yes, temp testing in cases sounds awesome even if its artificial testing (artificial heat source, temp probe internal and external or whatever)

2: Dont. Be. Assholes. Something you wanted in the review was missing, but there is no need to have name calling tantrums about it - ESPECIALLY on the review sections of the forum where you're gunna get more attention from random web viewers and make yourselves look bad.

Processor FX-8350 @4.6
Motherboard MSI 970A Gaming
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx 400
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) RX-570 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 2x 1TB Barracuda's
Display(s) Asus 24" 1080p
Case Custom vintage wooden crate
Audio Device(s) Neewer N700 mic + Edifier 2.1 speakers + Steelseries Siberia V2
Power Supply Cooler Master V650
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Corsair K70 w/ MX-reds
Software Windows 10
This is all I could think of with that name...

Guys, two things

1: Yes, temp testing in cases sounds awesome even if its artificial testing (artificial heat source, temp probe internal and external or whatever)

2: Dont. Be. Assholes. Something you wanted in the review was missing, but there is no need to have name calling tantrums about it - ESPECIALLY on the review sections of the forum where you're gunna get more attention from random web viewers and make yourselves look bad.
1 - why would you make it more complicated than it needs to be and then try and phrase that as if its simpler? Darksaber already builds a single predetermined set of hardware inside all of these cases. All he needs to do is turn the thing on, run P95+Furmark for 20 minutes, and log three temperatures over that 20 minutes - CPU temp, GPU temp and Room Ambient. Throw that into a chart and great, we're done here.

2 - Firstly, I think this thread is so far not remotely heated enough to demand any sort of mod warning. If anything I think I'd take how quick on the draw you're being here, as a sign that this sort of criticism is unwelcome enough TPU doesn't want to deal with it.

Secondly, how do you therefore propose to submit any feedback in a way that we get an answer? We've gotten answers via forum threads in the past on other things, what makes cases different? VSG, Cadaveca, Black Haru, Wizzard etc have all contributed to the forum dialogue on other issues. (And on other platforms - I've spoken to Black haru about TPU content on *reddit* of all places.)

In comparison the silence is deafening when it comes to case review criticisms - I have said something related to this in *every single one of the following threads* (With varying levels of politeness or sarcasm) for thermal and/or noise data, and **never received even so much as a reasonable explanation why TPU doesn't bother to test this**:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/cooler-master-mastercase-h100.257214/ (In this particular thread I even specifically complained about the lack of a feedback mechanism towards these reviews, and of course was not informed of any such thing that I may have missed...)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/cougar-panzer-g.246142/ (Yes I swear in this post, it's already in the mod log from when I posted it the first time)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/antec-torque.250220/ (We're getting back to last December here, and here I am, harping on about the same thing...)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/cooler-master-mastercase-sl600m.249033/ (October 30th 2018)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/lian-li-pc-o11-air.246861/ (September 24th 2018)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/corsair-carbide-275r.244611/ (July 20th 2018)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/deepcool-gamer-storm-quadstellar.244401/ (July 12th 2018)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fsp-cmt520.244609/ (June 11th 2018)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fractal-design-focus-g.235341/ (April 13th 2018)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/phanteks-enthoo-evolv-matx-tempered-glass.235347/ (April 2nd 2018)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/bitfenix-enso.238945/ (March 22 2018)

So @Mussels , I would really like to know, is there a good reason why despite being asked by myself most loudly, and others frequently alongside, for over a year and a half, in direct response to the reviews, we have been ignored?

Wow, this is the first time i see a response of this kind to community requests, and what a toxic answer it is. What a shame, really.
In a community where there's heated discussion about 9700K or 3800X for gaming, about ryzen falling short of its boost speeds by 100mhz, about RAM overclocking, etc. That you simply dismiss something essential like case airflow and then blame GN for making this info available is simply unnaceptable.
At least stop calling these "reviews" when the community has clearly evolved past your outdated "journalism".

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
A sea of tempered glass rgb cases, nothing interesting anymore.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
GlacierNine: What i suggested is reproducible and how various websites test CPU coolers - by having an easy to set heat number (literally, in watts) and then measure temps.

Measuring temps of X hardware means nothing because oh look a quad core intel? 40c! amazing!
same cooler on 12 core AMD aint gunna run as cold and people *really* suck at interpreting temp data making cases and cooling reviews really damn hard to do. Artificial heat sources with interior and exterior temps is simple clean and reproducible.

GlacierNine: What i suggested is reproducible and how various websites test CPU coolers - by having an easy to set heat number (literally, in watts) and then measure temps.

Measuring temps of X hardware means nothing because oh look a quad core intel? 40c! amazing!
same cooler on 12 core AMD aint gunna run as cold and people *really* suck at interpreting temp data making cases and cooling reviews really damn hard to do. Artificial heat sources with interior and exterior temps is simple clean and reproducible.

I disagree - I only know of one website that tests CPU coolers this way, and it's Frostytech.

It makes more sense for CPU coolers but isn't infallible. Real world IHS variations like convexity aren't accounted for by such a rig, but often are accounted for in the manufacture of heatsink SKUs.

in a case it wouldn't make sense because you aren't testing the heatsink, you're testing the ability of the case to deal with air warmed up by multiple heatsinks with different limitations on size and format, and you need real-world hardware (a tower cooler, a blower or axial fan gpu, VRMs, the Chipset) to provide that heat because where its located in the chassis and at what intensity, then the airflow around/through those areas is more important. Trying to accurately simulate this would require an extremely elaborate rig including not only heat sources, but also physical standins for the essential components that can direct or impede airflow within the case (Motherboard, cables, GPU PCB + Heatsink, etc) and isn't worth the effort when simply using a single consistent set of real components and a reproducible workload will not only provide all of this to a reasonable degree of repeatability, but will also avoid circumstances where a particularly unique case might not accomodate a purposebuilt testbed that was built with certain assumptions in mind.

That said however, the bulk of my post was a completely different point, and that point was what I asked to be addressed. Can you please provide some feedback on my question @Mussels ?

Last edited:

dmasmarty

@Darksaber @W1zzard

Is it not a massive oversight in this review to not mention that there is literally zero air intake available for those fans? The only intake in the entire case is *behind* them?

I use this case in my setup, if you talk about airflow, around the glass panel in front there is around 2mm air intake for the front 2x200mm fan, it goes all around the glass panel. You can also put 3x120mm, 2x140mm or 2x200mm fan on top for exhaust or intake. Not to forget at the bottom side you can slot 3x120mm fan as well for exhaust or intake. At the back there is 1x120mm or 140mm slot. Bottom come with sliding dust filter and top magnetic. There is also airways on the middle side back panel that you can put another 3x120mm fan if you want to 'more intake/exhaust' flow by removing the HDD caddy.

This much holes around the cases you said zero air intake? Dont talk something that you do not know bro, make research first. 200mm fan run low rpm (silent) but push more air compare 120mm/140mm on the same speed. You can fit 4x200mm in here, not many cases give you this option considering the price.