• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's 14nm Chip Shortage Continues

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
I would like AMD to compete in the high-end/gaming laptop market so we can have better prices.
How about the rumored Surfacebook with AMD 6/8 core?

A leaked document provided to the site claims that the upcoming larger 15-inch Surface Laptop 3 will offer at least six different configurations, starting with the existing 4-core/8-thread Ryzen 5 3550U and Ryzen 7 3750U, but extending into “completely new AMD Ryzen processors with six or even eight cores.”

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Intel doesn't have a 14nm+++ process.

From their investor's day back in May:

Officially, there is a single 14nm high performance process dubbed "P1272":

These "++" designations are marketing terms. They were created when it became apparent that the 10nm process "P1274" would was going to be delayed.
So you are telling that, we are using the same 14nm in 2019 that was indroduced in 2014???:confused:

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
3300U, 3500U, 3700U, even though 12nm, are available and rock.

PS
I can't believe FUD about drivers is still alive. Good job, shils.
In the laptop space? Yes. Problem is who should deliver the driver. AMD or OEM. AMD sometimes lets the OEMs deliver it but they don't always update. For example I have an old all-amd Dell netbook that serves as my home server. The latest OEM driver is from 2015, latest officially from AMD is from 2017. But 2017 one isn't stable and doesn't let me change brightness iirc. So I have to use the "latest" OEM one.

what god damn bios issues?? does amd make bios-es NOW??
BIOSes are made from AGESA that yes AMD provides. That's why you hear so much about AGESA this AGESA that since Ryzen launched in 2017.

System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG E670X ACE
Cooling Corsair Cappelix H150i
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Video Card(s) AMD RX7900XTX
Storage 120TB HDD + 3x 2TB SSD RAID, External - 390 TB Various HDD drives
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI 4 + SteelSeries Arctis Pro USB
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse SteelSeries Rival710
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
In the laptop space? Yes. Problem is who should deliver the driver. AMD or OEM. AMD sometimes lets the OEMs deliver it but they don't always update. For example I have an old all-amd Dell netbook that serves as my home server. The latest OEM driver is from 2015, latest officially from AMD is from 2017. But 2017 one isn't stable and doesn't let me change brightness iirc. So I have to use the "latest" OEM one.
AMD Provides the (stock) drivers now -- chipset + video -- since ca. a year or so. Using AMD stock ones since then on my 2700U -> no problems at all.

Low quality post by Jozsef Dornyei
Recent Intel GFX CI bootlogs hint that Comet Lake H (CL-H) and Comet Lake S (CL-S) will offer only minor refinements over their Coffee Lake Refresh predecessors. So yes, 14+xN redux N again.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Even when there are AMD chips to be used?
There are many problems surrounding mobile ryzen chips. Some are teething problems, some are the result of the deep running portion of AMD's culture that is resistant to change.

1. The ryzen APUs are not as energy efficient as their intel counterparts. Comparing 35 to 35 watt parts, AMD manages worse battery life and thermals. Dont forget, most laptops are 15 watt now, and AMD doesnt have an APU with such a TDP available, so much of the market doesnt have an AMD choice

2. AMD's drivers for mobile ryzen are abysmal. With first gen ryzen mobile, AMD went full 1998 and made the OEMs write their own drivers! Not only did the OEMs not have experience writing ryzen drivers, but they also did not have super in depth documentation either, leading to garbage releases. This was also quite noticeable on the GPU side, as the APUs couldnt get the latest GPU drivers from AMD, but rather the OEMs had to make the drivers work with the APUs and their custom code. The backlash from both the user base and manufacturers forced AMD to actually suppor thteir parts properly, but as a result, because AMD takes time to get drivers fixed, the APUs still are less then stable. The whole situation is a pile of garbage and should never have happened, but AMD wanted to be cheap.

3. AMD has a long, documented history of poor OEM support. Motherboard makers working with incomplete AGESA code, AIB makers finding out about new RTG products a week before they launch, poor technical documentation, ece. ASUS reps on the ROG forums have spoken multiple times about how poor AMD's motherboard support is; while intel will give full documentation ofthe chips, send ES sample motherboards and CPUs, and work closely with motherboard OEMs to iron out bugs 3-4 months before launch, AMD's documentation was relatively sparse, their ES CPUs didnt run anywhere near the clock speeds of finalized products, their AGESA code was incomplete and motherboard OEMs have to fill in the blanks, and this was maybe a month before launch, not 3-4 like intel. Much like poor support for AMD partnered game developers, AMD's technical support is run ont he cheap and results in annoying, expensive support bugs and patching. Unsurprisingly, int he mobile space, OEMs like to avoid this at all costs, hence AMD failing to make much headway there.

4. AMD as, historically, had major supply issues with CPUs, especially with lower voltage parts. OEMs are rather wary of manufacturers that cant deliver, this is what killed 3DFX back in the 90s.

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
There are many problems surrounding mobile ryzen chips. Some are teething problems, some are the result of the deep running portion of AMD's culture that is resistant to change.

1. The ryzen APUs are not as energy efficient as their intel counterparts. Comparing 35 to 35 watt parts, AMD manages worse battery life and thermals. Dont forget, most laptops are 15 watt now, and AMD doesnt have an APU with such a TDP available, so much of the market doesnt have an AMD choice

2. AMD's drivers for mobile ryzen are abysmal. With first gen ryzen mobile, AMD went full 1998 and made the OEMs write their own drivers! Not only did the OEMs not have experience writing ryzen drivers, but they also did not have super in depth documentation either, leading to garbage releases. This was also quite noticeable on the GPU side, as the APUs couldnt get the latest GPU drivers from AMD, but rather the OEMs had to make the drivers work with the APUs and their custom code. The backlash from both the user base and manufacturers forced AMD to actually suppor thteir parts properly, but as a result, because AMD takes time to get drivers fixed, the APUs still are less then stable. The whole situation is a pile of garbage and should never have happened, but AMD wanted to be cheap.

3. AMD has a long, documented history of poor OEM support. Motherboard makers working with incomplete AGESA code, AIB makers finding out about new RTG products a week before they launch, poor technical documentation, ece. ASUS reps on the ROG forums have spoken multiple times about how poor AMD's motherboard support is; while intel will give full documentation ofthe chips, send ES sample motherboards and CPUs, and work closely with motherboard OEMs to iron out bugs 3-4 months before launch, AMD's documentation was relatively sparse, their ES CPUs didnt run anywhere near the clock speeds of finalized products, their AGESA code was incomplete and motherboard OEMs have to fill in the blanks, and this was maybe a month before launch, not 3-4 like intel. Much like poor support for AMD partnered game developers, AMD's technical support is run ont he cheap and results in annoying, expensive support bugs and patching. Unsurprisingly, int he mobile space, OEMs like to avoid this at all costs, hence AMD failing to make much headway there.

4. AMD as, historically, had major supply issues with CPUs, especially with lower voltage parts. OEMs are rather wary of manufacturers that cant deliver, this is what killed 3DFX back in the 90s.
1. All suffix-U CPUs from AMD are 15W.
2700U,2500U,3700U,3500U,2200U, etc.
Lower battery life, but AMD do make those.
2. Chipset drivers were made by AMD, though not updated by oems.
Graphics drivers were not offered by AMD for a long time, but were made by AMD.
Chipset drivers can also be downloaded from amd.com for laptops.
3. My system is fully stable with the latest drivers. APU system.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
AMD wanted to be cheap.
I don’t think it was a matter of being cheap, I think it was a matter of not having a lot of operational money to do it. AMD was, after all, running on damn near a shoestring budget. Now that AMD is actually making some money with the Zen platform they may have additional money to play with.
AMD has a long, documented history of poor OEM support. Motherboard makers working with incomplete AGESA code
See above.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
1. All suffix-U CPUs from AMD are 15W.
2700U,2500U,3700U,3500U,2200U, etc.
Lower battery life, but AMD do make those.
2. Chipset drivers were made by AMD, though not updated by oems.
Graphics drivers were not offered by AMD for a long time, but were made by AMD.
Chipset drivers can also be downloaded from amd.com for laptops.
3. My system is fully stable with the latest drivers. APU system.
1.) I missed the TDP oficially being 15 watt, but much like the "127" watt TDP for the 9900ks, its a meaningless number. AMD's chips pulled way too much power compared to intel, so they were unattractive for mobile usage, where power usage is really important. AMD's APU customers, whom want the better iGPU, are a tiny minority of laptop customers.

2. Chipset drivers and GPU drivers for laptops can be downloaded for AMD laptops TODAY, but not when the ryzen APUs first came out. This was a major critcism of AMD, and you can look up reviews of these machines to see this criticizm reflected by reviewers, that OEMs were responsible for writing complete driver packages and changing AMD's drivers to match their systems, rather then AMD putting out a generic chipset driver like they had with their previous mobile chipsets going back to the early 2000s, and like intel has done since the 90s. There are threads on reddit, OC.net, and even this very site complaining about the issue.

3. Congratulations, but that's 2 years later, and anecdotal evidence (just because YOUR system works fine, does not mean a problem doesnt exist. There are 3rd gen focus drivers out there that dont have transmission problems, but the vast majority of their foci DO have problems, hence their horrible reputation). First gen ryzen APUs did NOT have stable drivers, that scared away customers as well as OEMs. AMD flip flopped on this decision and started releasing drivers themselves again, but if you are an OEM you need consistent support, not schizophrenic driver support/lack of support that changes every generation. AMD cant seem to figure this out. They shot themselves in the foot in the mobile space, and are now back at square 1 for OEM confidence, and will need to build that reputation back up again.

I don’t think it was a matter of being cheap, I think it was a matter of not having a lot of operational money to do it. AMD was, after all, running on damn near a shoestring budget. Now that AMD is actually making some money with the Zen platform they may have additional money to play with.

See above.
If AMD did not have the resources to support a product, theyshpould not be trying to sell said product.

If nvidia or intel released a set of chips, didnt provide any drivers, and as a result the products using them sucked, you would say that is a bad move on intel/nvidia's part. But for AMD? oh no, the poor babies just didnt have the money; they're the underdog!!! If you release a product, and you dont support that product because you dont have money, and think of a hair-brained scheme to make other companies support your product for you, for free, you are both cheap and incompetent. If AMD cpould not support ryzen mobile, they never should have put the money into them! These kinds of actions are why AMD has a negative association with many power users, because they half-ass things they should NEVER half ass.

It doesnt matter if you are making CPUs, washing machines, TVs, any type of electronic, cars, or other physical good. If you cant support it, dont try to sell it, because it is going to blow up in your face when you cant fix these problems, and that investment cash would be better suited to go into the product lines you are actually achieving some success in.

So you are telling that, we are using the same 14nm in 2019 that was indroduced in 2014???:confused:

From a technical standpoint: yes. During that time Intel has made refinements that utimately make the process better, producing higher yield ratios and clockspeeds.

Even when there are AMD chips to be used?
AMD has great chips for desktop computers. When it comes to laptop chips, though, I'm afraid Intel is still significantly ahead. And right now, AMD is selling all the chips TSMC can make for it too.