• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega 56 Pulse Instability

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Greetings,

So I have been trying to figure out what to do with this GPU and now that my new Ryzen rig is ready to go, I really need to deal with it.

So the main problem is that it completely locks up at times while playing. It is most notable in The Division 2 but last night it happened in Greedfall which it has never done before. That said, I was messing with settings so I will write that one off.

I have been overclocking and undervolting by about -75 to -100mv. The clocks I have set are 1625 Core and 820 HBM. The temps are running about 72C for each core and memory. It seems like it is the 72C memory that is causing the issue as when that temp hits is when it is most likely to crash. I have tried undervolting the HBM to keep temps down but I don't think that really made any impact. I have tried leaving the mem at stock and just running the overclocked core and still had issues.

This problem did occur with Destiny 2 as well but I can't specifically recall any other games doing it.

As in my other thread, I am really close to throwing in the towel and picking up a new GPU but with new cards likely to come out soon(ish) - I hate to. I have also thought about looking into doing the soft tables mod but if it is truly a temp issue than I don't think those will help.

Ideas?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Greetings,

So I have been trying to figure out what to do with this GPU and now that my new Ryzen rig is ready to go, I really need to deal with it.

So the main problem is that it completely locks up at times while playing. It is most notable in The Division 2 but last night it happened in Greedfall which it has never done before. That said, I was messing with settings so I will write that one off.

I have been overclocking and undervolting by about -75 to -100mv. The clocks I have set are 1625 Core and 820 HBM. The temps are running about 72C for each core and memory. It seems like it is the 72C memory that is causing the issue as when that temp hits is when it is most likely to crash. I have tried undervolting the HBM to keep temps down but I don't think that really made any impact. I have tried leaving the mem at stock and just running the overclocked core and still had issues.

This problem did occur with Destiny 2 as well but I can't specifically recall any other games doing it.

As in my other thread, I am really close to throwing in the towel and picking up a new GPU but with new cards likely to come out soon(ish) - I hate to. I have also thought about looking into doing the soft tables mod but if it is truly a temp issue than I don't think those will help.

Ideas?
Look into not an apple fan on YouTube ,he reduced his thermal issues the same way gamers nexus did , increasing the clamping pressure on the Gpu with plastic washers.
But overclocking and undervolting can increase instabilities as can a free riegn on fps, always use an fps cap on unstable game's is my opinion it can be above what you want, just, because often games crank out frames in menus and it can cause increased stress.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Look into not an apple fan on YouTube ,he reduced his thermal issues the same way gamers nexus did , increasing the clamping pressure on the Gpu with plastic washers.

I forgot about the washers. Thanks for the reminder. I generally don't have runaway frames, it's usually the opposite - needing frames lol.

I think I am just going to restart from the beginning with the OC.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I forgot about the washers. Thanks for the reminder. I generally don't have runaway frames, it's usually the opposite - needing frames lol.

I will say it's probably a temperature thing, mines got custom Lc and the only limit that matters is the temp , at high clocks , when it hits that temp limit I get a very hard crash , sometimes the cards link goes missing and I've had it be "funny" for a boot or two , and yhe temps the hot spot trmp specifically ,when it hits 75 boom , though 65 is my cards start to throttle limit(can clear this limit with all p states to max but that makes 75 hit harder)
I have used powerplay mods to get higher watts and done all sorts but that temp limit cannot be disabled, AFAIK, would love to try despite danger , I've seen 1806 mhz core 1100 memory but no higher with a fair few BIOS tried including founders ed.
I think I could do better.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Greetings,

Ideas?

@fullinfusion
@INSTG8R
@AlienIsGOD
@FordGT90Concept can help

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester

Isn't the washer trick for the 5700's?

Also @eidairaman1 don't need to ping us all the time, we can read and our deal doesn't include overclocking failures ;)

If the OP can just click reset in wattman driver a couple of times and then try the game then feel free to post how things went.

Otherwise once you start messing with the PT editor your just asking for trouble..

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Isn't the washer trick for the 5700's?

Also @eidairaman1 don't need to ping us all the time, we can read and our deal doesn't include overclocking failures ;)

If the OP can just click reset in wattman driver a couple of times and then try the game then feel free to post how things went.

Otherwise once you start messing with the PT editor your just asking for trouble..

Washers are for VII

Processor Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 3400 Mhz 2x8GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB
Display(s) HP OMEN 32
Case Phanteks P600S
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G1+
Hello, I'm going to try and help you if I can.
For starters, 72C on the memory is safe so that's not the problem.
-Now uninstall MSI afterburner if you're using that and open Wattman like a true AMDer.
-Create a custom profile with stock clocks and p7 voltage of 1000 and p6 of 950mV. Decrease the other pstates by 50mV intervals. Leave the HBM at stock for now and max out power limit (only to avoid any power throttling)
-Test it with any benchmark (Unigine superposition is a good one)
If it's stable decrease voltage a bit or increase if it's unstable. For reference mine's stable at 960mv P7.

Report your findings!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
The washer trick is for the 5700XT cards and NOT the VII..

Here

Hey bro its for this too

Probably could be used across all cards with the same mounting mechanism

ondrejdvorak

My Vega 56 behaved like broken under Windows 10 and B450 MB, random freezes, no help, until I found an advice to install Pro Drivers 8200, and issue got solved completely and immediately. Now I got 1st freeze after about half a year because I updated bios on my MB, and just installing the regular Vega 56 drivers, gonna see what happens, if the freezes continue, I´m going to swap back to Pro drivers. After double and triple checking the card for errors, this was the only solution.