• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Influencing YouTube Tech Journalists' Product-Placements, Alleges Whistleblower

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Ok the comments here are a little silly and overreacting tbh.
On the article, jeez Linus's parent company will not be happy this got out! ;)

It will be something fun to keep an eye on, but so far I have not really seen anything that supports this.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
What the actual... You decided to run this tinfoil Reddit post from some random user as news without any verification and slander GN at the same time? Now that's a major f#ckup if I ever seen one.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
1. Shocking piece of not news. The original story with Steve's image, that is.
2. Of course Nvidia pays people who are willing to take their money for subliminal or underhanded PR. Blame the lowballing, shitty You Tubers for that. Do people not know how social media works? It's why I don't use it; it's full of false news, hollow marketing and profiteering.
3. The OP seems bulletproof in the owners eyes. Not sure why. This is the biggest dropped ball in years. And it really does tarnish TPU.

Back on topic, whatever credibility the anonymous reddit post had was severely hampered by the example chosen to verify the allegations. This is not the first time someone from the tech press made such claims, Hardware Secrets have come forward with similar accusations in the past, KitGuru went ahead and released reviews for the GTX 660 Ti ahead of NDA because they were cut off from receiving review samples, not too long ago TechSpot weren't sent samples of a recent GTX or RTX card prior to launch whereas others received the cards simply because they were overly critical of RTX features not being widely adopted or even usable. Even if the Reddit post is a work of fiction, there are incidents within the Tech Press to suggest that there is a possibility of this happening.

The alleged issue raised will be over shadowed by the poor example given. Besides do we expect any Youtuber to come forward. Youtube can take a % of PP and not sure how or if any are willing to disclose background PP for more loss revenue.

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
Nothing new from NVIDIA. TECHPOWERUP is not a youtube channel ...but but

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
It's pretty easy to believe those accusations when the name "Nvidia" is involved.

That being said, any background will have a number of Nvidia boxes considering they are the only company offering ultra hi end graphics cards for gaming.

There will always be allegations like this, at the end of the day the numbers you present and your conclusions is what speaks for your judgement. If you see reviews that are way off from others than you know it probably isn't true unless it has undeniable proof to back up what it's claiming.

The allegation is not about the review itself but Product Placements that are allegedly not being disclosed

This particular whistleblower is full of rubbish, the statement self contradicts itself, and the product placement thing is utterly bogus. If you're going to review a product in front of a camera for an audience who are very likely to be very judgemental of everything, you'd want to have some sort of decoration. The decoration can be of random product boxes that you may have accumulated over the years. Saying that placing nvidia's RTX card boxes will get me money but also placing AMD an intel product boxes in the same frame doesn't make sense, regardless of these products or brand being relevant with the video.

Well your tying what the whistleblower said to the example TPU gave which are two different things

Except you conveniently ignore the big disclaimer before the image: "here's an _example of what's being alleged_ [by the whistleblower]."

If that's so hard to catch, I'll just add "by the whistleblower" to the disclaimer.
You engaging so hard with the comments puts TechPowerup in a bad light... try to avoid that unprofessional behavior, just fix the article if it needs too. Admitting a wrong doing is sign of intelligence and maturity, don't fight it!

Isn't Hardware Accelerated Raytracing currently tied to nvidia?

Read through the reddit whistle blower's original statement. It says to advertise nvidia products whenever possible with boxes. Since written press can't advertise with boxes, what other way is there for them to advertise nvidia? I think we all remember Tom's "Just Buy It" right?

The whistleblower also says some are paid and some aren't. Thats a given. If i'm a company and your willing to provide free PP on your set why should i pay you for it.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Even if they're not paid, they fear losing access to NVIDIA.

Nothing new from NVIDIA. TECHPOWERUP is not a youtube channel ...but but
Which is why they can cover it. NVIDIA isn't using this tactic to get preferential treatment from TechPowerUp.

You engaging so hard with the comments puts TechPowerup in a bad light... try to avoid that unprofessional behavior, just fix the article if it needs too. Admitting a wrong doing is sign of intelligence and maturity, don't fight it!
A mistake was made an quickly rectified. Admitting wrong and fixing it is a sign of maturity and ethical journalism.

Last edited:
Even if they're not paid, they fear being shunned by NVIDIA.

People are glancing over the part where product placements are suppose to be disclosed. Youtubers might be less willing to disclose them because it cuts into their revenue. They might think, "Why should i let people know company is paying to be in my background if i'm already disclosing what the main product is and it just lets Youtube take more of a % away from my videos."

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

It took me 11 minutes of the YouTuber getting in touch with me to remedy the situation to their satisfaction, including waking my boss up from sleep to scrub our social media, and my apologizing to them at every stage. They gave me a list of measures I should take, and I took each of those measures in 11 minutes. I asked them if there's anything else that needed to be done, they told me "no," but that they will talk about this incident in a future video. I continue to remain apologetic, but I felt you needed to know. All this happened after the post you quoted. At no point did I try to "fight" the YouTuber after they got in touch with us.

Everyone has an MTBF. I hit mine today.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
go pound sand bta this is pure clickbait at best and possibly illegal at worst

don't post garbage like this again full stop

@W1zzard find another editor in chief if you want this site to survive another year

welp looks like too little too late

I hope gn sues your ass into the ground

Kinda have to agree on this one.

I'm not seeing what's new here. And yes, full disclosure would be best, and its up to each and every single 'tuber to make that move or for them to gang up and make it a collective movement. What is TPUs stake in this? TPU isn't even taking a side or being a player, but clearly wants to be on the sidelines (saying: we are not affected by this).

Clicks. At the expense of others. Disgusting.

Maybe its the new norm here, but this has been going on for a while and I don't like it. Some content is great, other times I feel like I've landed on WCCFTech. This one was a step too far. If you're going to be part of the outrage culture, please try aspiring to be an actually active player in it that tries to effect a change. This was a perfect opportunity to convert clicks into something nice for the tech press too. You missed it and went for clicks only.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
What is TPUs stake in this?
Informing the public that it's happening.

The choice to depict Steve as the example is no coincidence.
It is. The claim is that NVIDIA is influencing YouTubers during content featuring AMD and Intel hardware. Do a search and the only reason why GN came up is because they did such a review (of lots of RX 5700 XT cards) on the 19th. It was a coincidence. That doesn't imply GN had anything to do with any of the alleged claims, just adds credibility to the whistleblowers claim that this may be deliberate.

This whistleblower is a GN hater. GN's the only outlet that has the balls to place EVGA's mobo as a sponsor for AMD's CPU review or vice versa, there are plenty of other random things put in that BS statement of the aforementioned whistleblower that can cause doubts in the minds of skeptics which I am no longer willing to debate on.

The choice to depict Steve as the example is no coincidence.

Okay, I have to ask. How do you know the whistleblower is a GN hater?

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
It took me 11 minutes of the YouTuber getting in touch with me to remedy the situation to their satisfaction, including waking my boss up from sleep to scrub our social media, and my apologizing to them at every stage. They gave me a list of measures I should take, and I took each of those measures in 11 minutes. I asked them if there's anything else that needed to be done, they told me "no," but that they will talk about this incident in a future video. I continue to remain apologetic, but I felt you needed to know. All this happened after the post you quoted. At no point did I try to "fight" the YouTuber after they got in touch with us.

Everyone has an MTBF. I hit mine today.

That's great, but this reads like Zuckerberg telling us he's sorry for Facebook, I'm sorry mate. This is the modus operandi and it backfired - take the hint, I'd say, and change the agenda.

Informing the public that it's happening.

Yes that is the favorite line of tabloids and paparazzi too. 'The public needs to know'. Do they? If the public really needed to know, you do this in other ways, for example, with actual proof and not hearsay plus a badly picked example.

Follow some of his hints closely, and you'll see that if you look at the accusations through the eyes of a fanboy, they'd fit Steve as he's the most critical of the issues, specially AMD. Every time either one of the Steves (GN and Techspot aka HUB) speaks up about AMD hardware and their issues or make fair reviews where the AMD products aren't coming out on top, this type of conspiracy theories, threads, posts and comments surface. This one in particular was versed well enough to fool people. That's about it.

So you have no proof and call those who don't have your viewpoint a fanboy?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Yes that is the favorite line of tabloids and paparazzi too. 'The public needs to know'. Do they?
Yes, in marketing this is called impressions which are created through product placements. Viewers are being subliminally influenced by those produce placements. As Xzibit said, YouTube requires full disclosure of all sponsors. Because NVIDIA isn't actually paying for the product placements in a lot of these cases, NVIDIA is encouraging YouTubers to skirt the YouTube rules but still get their impressions by applying sponsorship pressure.

If the public really needed to know, you do this in other ways, for example, with actual proof and not hearsay plus a badly picked example.
I agree that there should have been some behind the scenes investigating before publishing it. btarunr no doubt agrees with that judging by the statements made in this thread. TPU is taking the flak because they're the first major publication to cover the complaint.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this website but ... sorry for saying it ... a bit naive. You all assume that the average consumer knows a lot of stuff about PC hardware like Price/Performance, brands, etc... I have friends who have no idea that AMD exists or that they make CPUs or GPUs. They only know Nvidia and Intel. Product placement matters a lot because it can easily influence buying decisions and cost nothing. I have seen website recommending the RTX 2060 Super because Ray tracing and because there are/were some temporary problems with the drivers for AMD. Tech channels recommend a slower/expensive card.... like really??? In today's world after all the shady tactics Intel and Nvidia use you have to be extremely naive/fanboy or ignorant not to believe that companies are capable of this. I have seen reviews on youtube with graphs that only show Nvidia cards and AMD cards. I have seen Nvidia trying to confiscate a streamers sponsored hardware system because they said not to preorder RTX and wait for review, in India they took a way a content creators RTX card because he said something negative about Nvidia and he had to go back to his old GTX 970. Google it and you will find the articles, only due to public pressure and negative PR they let the streamer keep his sponsored Hardware.

I don't think you follow these channels, their content, the reviews or the criticism they receive closely enough. Trying to post proof is fruitless, as images are removed as can be seen from the first few posts in this thread. There are plenty of proof out there, and the reddit statement can be torn apart, piece by piece. I have better things to do sadly than to make a compilation of things only to have it removed, deleted or censored.

Again what does TPU bad example have to do with the allegations. You seamed determined to tie the two as if they are one of the same. You accused the whistleblower of having no proof yet your doing the same thing.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
take the hint, I'd say, and change the agenda.

I'll never be able to prove anyone that I don't have an agenda. I woke up in the morning, logged into TPU 5 minutes after waking up (big mistake), saw a PMs from forum members about this story, and like a dog chasing cars I ran behind this story without due diligence. Unlike what some of you may think, I don't have a glamorous tech-journalist life, I've never been to a tradeshow on TPU's behalf, and almost all my hardware possessions are hand-me-downs from W1zzard who's been like an older brother to me in these past 12 years, because I run my house with the money TPU pays me (I have no other source of income). So someone in my position has two options that will satisfy everyone, and one option that won't satisfy everyone: 1. I can quit TPU and have no livelihood left. 2. I can kill myself (nobody has lulz over a dead person), or 3. Try to put my 12 years of experience and some 10,000 newsposts on the line, apologize to everyone (including you), and hope that life gives me a second chance to be better.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Yes, in marketing this is called impressions which are created through product placements. Viewers are being subliminally influenced by those produce placements. As Xzibit said, YouTube requires full disclosure of all sponsors. Because NVIDIA isn't actually paying for the product placements in a lot of these cases, NVIDIA is encouraging YouTubers to skirt the YouTube rules but still get their impressions by applying sponsorship pressure.

I agree that there should have been some behind the scenes investigating before publishing it. btarunr no doubt agrees with that judging by the statements made in this thread. TPU is taking the flak because they're the first major publication to cover the complaint.

Right, and I get that, but let's look at TPU for a little while, most notably the reviews of specific products picked on the frontpage. Any outsider could easily think it was no different here given the products picked out for review at times while others never get a mention. And until recently, the scores given out under conclusions of reviews could be more of the same too.

What I'm seeing, to be honest, is tech press (broad sense, not just TPU) being hypocrites because it may hurt their bottom line, and it happens all the time everywhere you go. If TPU is the actual exception to that rule, roll like GN and exploit that as a strength, don't remain part of the grey mass that can handily picks the side that generates the higher amount of clicks. Because in that sense, this whole ordeal is well deserved and, again, should be a big fat lesson for the future.

More investigating behind the scenes? No. Being honest and looking in the mirror, that is what tech press needs.

I'll never be able to prove anyone that I don't have an agenda. I woke up in the morning, logged into TPU 5 minutes after waking up (big mistake), saw a PMs from forum members about this story, and like a dog chasing cars I ran behind this story without due diligence. Unlike what some of you may think, I don't have a glamorous tech-journalist life, I've never been to a tradeshow on TPU's behalf, and almost all my hardware possessions are hand-me-downs from W1zzard who's been like an older brother to me in these past 12 years, because I run my house with the money TPU pays me (I have no other source of income). So someone in my position has two options that will satisfy everyone, and one option that won't satisfy everyone: 1. I can quit TPU and have no livelihood left. 2. I can kill myself (nobody has lulz over a dead person), or 3. Try to put my 12 years of experience and some 10,000 newsposts on the line, apologize to everyone (including you), and hope that life gives me a second chance to be better.

The agenda of picking and posting stories to maximize clicks. Are you saying it doesn't exist, now?

You won't find me accusing TPU of bias, if that's what you thought I meant. That is not the issue here. I take a stand against things that (may) hurt TPUs credibility. Its the same reason I don't like those CD key ads; even though I happily buy those keys for myself. Hypocrisy too, but I'm not a public figure, that's the difference here.

Beyond that, on a personal level; don't get too worked up about it, you did what you could to fix the matter, and I hope there have been lessons learned - not just for your person but for the aforementioned agenda.

Last edited:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
The agenda of picking and posting stories to maximize clicks. Are you saying it doesn't exist, now?

I'm saying my motivation behind this story wasn't to create a clickbaity sleaze piece. I behaved like a drunk person, acting purely on instinct, and it damaged my reputation, that of TPU, and hurt the YouTuber who I genuinely respect. Some day when I finally go to a tradeshow, I'll seek out the YouTuber, and the only way he'll recognize me is if a random guy just walks up to him, falls on his knees and starts sobbing uncontrollably. This I swear on my unborn kids. I am truly sorry.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I'm saying my motivation behind this story wasn't to create a clickbaity sleaze piece. I behaved like a drunk person, acting purely on instinct, and it damaged my reputation, that of TPU, and hurt the YouTuber who I genuinely respect. Some day when I finally go to a tradeshow, I'll seek out the YouTuber, and the only way he'll recognize me is if a random guy just walks up to him, falls on his knees and starts sobbing uncontrollably. This I swear on my unborn kids. I am truly sorry.

Don't be too hard on yourself man. Shit happens. Correcting it as you did takes guts, too.

I'm mostly trying to put the point across that maybe it wasn't even your intent to create clickbait, but rather how easy it is to get sucked into doing it. I mean, the environment is very encouraging and has been for years, constantly fighting for attention with millions of others.