• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Influencing YouTube Tech Journalists' Product-Placements, Alleges Whistleblower

The source is Reddit, so you got a source about as good as /dev/null is a place to store your backups.

IIRC we had the exact same bullshit story last year, published unchecked, without any validation to speak off.
Is this the "hole before holiday season"-story now?
Will we get to read the same unchecked gargabe that may aswell have been writen by a 4chan troll next year again?

Nvidia knows where questionable legal turns into billion dollar fine by EU illegal.
They will be very carefuly navigating around that, by means of cooperating with software devs and slowly turning themself into a walled garden.

Intel has run into the EU on the competetive front a few times, and since then, the fines were significantly increased. They are not GDPR levels of "20,000,000€ or 4% of last years revenue, whatever is higher" levels, but slowly getting there.
And yet they had to pay only the metaphorical pennies, in the US not even EU, for selling GTX 970 on fake specs.
Intel is yet to pay their EU fine, they're still dancing through the courts. And now we have some youtube channel fans, not you per se, crossing over here & pretending that the same sh!t doesn't happen just because they close their eyes & all is well in Lala land :rolleyes:

One thing is for certain "whistle-blowers" would not come out seeing this kind of a blow-back, it only makes the point about Steve's next video wrt "humanity" even stronger!

Youtubers are influencers.
The same goes for TechPowerUp.
They can be amateurs but do their best to catch traffic.
Nvidia can do such thing, no doubt.
Any cooperation that wants to seize control can do it.
Can TPU do the same? I doubt it because you are simply not strong enough in your own competition.
There is no fair game.
To be honest, the only worthy installment from TPU is GPU-Z and that tool is outdated.

There you go, I knew you can do it ! Going through all that stupid made up shit and you finally made it.

It's an implementation not the feature itself. You can't enable an implementation of something in a game, you can only enable the thing that is implemented, here that would be DXR not RTX.

Thus we conclude : RTX is not a feature, it's an implementation of a feature which uses Nvidia's proprietary hardware/software.

MuhammedAbdo: From my perspective, Vya Domus just made you his dog at his lower heel.

How will you respond? That will be the calculation I will use moving forward to judge your character, along with any future comment you make, along with how I, and I hope many, will react to such a comment.

I'd love to be surprised positively, and I hope for discussion sake - and the enlightenment of many of the readers here - you have something truly special up your sleeve which makes your past and future contributions worthwhile. I mean, let's be honest, neither of us are here to waste anyone's time, nor mislead anyone.

Like Doc Holiday may have said:: "...proceed".

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
What would you do if people came to your house and shit on it, again and again
/me glances at watch well would you look at the time

Looks like you know something about our traffic and financials that I don't
then why in the name of bill gates are you allowing this crap to happen

it started with more ads being pushed fine no problem with that people gotta eat

when these Gray market key sellers nobody has ever heard Ooof but whatever every site tabloid site does that so I guess its ok

and then we the clickbait articles started trickling in

we at least deserve an explanation of the lower than bar quality as of late, and I want to hear it from you the site owner the man that supposed to be at the helm of this ship

its pretty widely believed that you don't seem to care what happens to tpu as your only around when shit is hitting the ventilation unit, that's fine but you at least owe the community an explanation

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
allowing this crap to happen
I was asleep, bta just posted away as explained several times in the thread. i wouldn't have posted that story, but things happen. i'm giving everyone here a lot of freedom to do things their own way and it's generally working well, people are happy

more ads being pushed
we've had 3 banner spots since forever, other sites have been adding more and more, not here. we're getting more and more advertisers onboard, which means more banner variation, a good thing, no?

Gray market key sellers
see the thread where this has been discussed, nothing ever came out of it, not even microsoft cares to comment back. nobody forces you to buy anything that's advertised to you. 4 people have emailed me with issues so far, i followed up on every single one of them personally, turned out to be spam filter/not looked in junk folder/payment issue/typo

its pretty widely believed that you don't seem to care what happens to tpu as your only around when shit is hitting the ventilation unit
huh? are you high?

looking at your post history it seems you're only contributing negative things to this community, good bye

Thus we conclude : RTX is not a feature, it's an implementation of a feature which uses Nvidia's proprietary hardware/software.
It's an acceleration implementation of DXR. Don't dance around it. It's mentioned right there in the title:
RTX Technology: Real Time Ray Tracing Acceleration for Volta GPUs and Later

you can only enable the thing that is implemented, here that would be DXR not RTX.
DXR can be enabled on Pascal and Volta. Hardware acceleration happens only on RTX cards.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Not that I think that the total article is 100% accurate but I was watching a video yesterday that made my ears perk up. They were doing a vs video using the 9400F vs the 2600. The thing that struck me as odd is they referenced a 1.475 voltage to achieve 3.8GHZ. Anyone with experience with AM4 knew that even the 1600 could do 3.8 @ 1.35 volts. Personally speaking my 2600 would go to 4.2 GHZ @ 1.3 volts. Then the comments were full of why did you use a 2600 instead of a 3600. The video then went on to show that the Intel chip would beat the AMD chip in everything. I am not saying that this is proof that any of the tech companies are actively engaged in what this articles allegedes but I would not be surprised if they turned out to be true.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I am not sure what RTX technology has remotely to do with the topic of this news piece although a couple of members seem to have spent the best part of a page worth of space discussing/arguing about it, so to be clear, either stop now and take it to PM's or holiday passes will be provided..... thank you.

Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 240P rad / whatever fans)
Memory Just about any under the Sun. Lost count.
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX580 8GB Red Dragon V2
Storage 1TB Kioxia Exceria NVMe M.2
Display(s) LG 22MK430H-B
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-550FX
Mouse Westrom (store brand) with the RGBs
Keyboard Aula Dawnguard
Software Win10 Education
Yup, and check out the top of this page... we're really outclassing WCCF in the cringe & ow-the-edge department with this thread

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
or holiday passes will be provided..... thank you.
I read that as plane tickets... Bahama please. :roll:

see the thread where this has been discussed, nothing ever came out of it, not even microsoft cares to comment back. nobody forces you to buy anything that's advertised to you. 4 people have emailed me with issues so far, i followed up on every single one of them personally, turned out to be spam filter/not looked in junk folder/payment issue/typo
this topic comes every so often and the low amount of ads has been accepted by the majority of this community and exceptions have been added many a blocker in support of this website. Those that cant actually spend money to support TPU should take some sort of step to contribute. {That doesnt mean trolling...}

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel is yet to pay their EU fine, they're still dancing through the courts.

Intel paid the EU fine a long time ago, it's usually held in a sort of escrow until legal proceedings are done. The way EU DG Competition fines work is a company gets fined, they have to pay the fine then they choose to tackle the case in courts or not. Most companies don't choose to go the courts route, but there were some issues with the Intel case, reason why Intel won a case review in 2017. It's just delaying the inevitable since they'll still most likely lose the case.
Ironically the Intel case has given DG Competition a lot of experience in how to instrument their cases, reason why the recent massive fines aren't being contested in courts.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I read that as plane tickets... Bahama please. :roll:

You might that want to go to the southern portion if you don't keep track of the weather in those parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if all companies did this. Even if this particular whistle-blower is a con, does anyone really trust the media? I think it's very hard to be subjective in this day and age and all these web "journalists" / "influencers" / "bloggers" need to make a living...

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz@1.331V
Motherboard ASUS Strix B350-F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 16G*2 3000MHz CL16 @1.35V
Video Card(s) Msi RTX 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Storage WD Blue 500G SSD*1 WD Black 2TB*1
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
Case Lian Li O11D XL
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse logitech G102 with modded micro switchs
Benchmark Scores Time Spy 9943
I wonder who is the biggest Nvidia shill.
Those who put Nvidia boxes on their shelves or those who aggressively advertise Nvidia's new GPU on their website?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
I wonder who is the biggest Nvidia shill.
Those who put Nvidia boxes on their shelves or those who aggressively advertise Nvidia's new GPU on their website?
I am sure that when AMD have a newly released GPU to the consumer market then there will be some that believe announcing their release in the news (Not an advertisement) is also being a shill.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case Lian Li O11D XL
I am sure that when AMD have a newly released GPU to the consumer market then there will be some that believe announcing their release in the news (Not an advertisement) is also being a shill.
Yes, people like to falsely accusing others.
Accusing others while wearing a tinfoil hat is a bad thing, yes?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

What I really want to know, is who doesn't expect a company to try and get their product visibility as much as possible?

I mean, am I strange in seeing the online review industry as basically a hobbyist industry? I would doubt that laws even exist to address this type of situation.

Comparing this to Intel paying off companies not to use AMD in OEM builds like HP and Dell is a giant stretch and mistake. That actually cost AMD direct revenue. Subliminal product placement on noname youtube reviewers videos will likely cause unmeasurable losses - as in, about tree fiddy, tree dollas and fitty sense.

All of this was blown way out of proportion. Even GN by getting so bent of shape about it.

Edited typos.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Yes, people like to falsely accusing others.
Accusing others while wearing a tinfoil hat is a bad thing, yes?
Well, I am not on the news team, however the only accusations I see seem to be coming from you, you complain that there is a lot of news coverage surrounding an Nidia GPU release, for consistency sake I will assume that when the same happens for all the AMD 5500 AIB Releases you will do the same no?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
a lot of news coverage surrounding an Nidia GPU release
Companies send us their press releases, we post them (for free ofc). If we post only the big guys, e.g. ASUS & MSI, the others will feel treated unfairly, and you might miss an interesting product announcement.

What I really want to know, is who doesn't expect a company to try and get their product visibility as much as possible?

I mean, am I strange in seeing the online review industry as basically a hobbyist industry? I would doubt that laws even exist to address this type of situation.

Comparing this to Intel paying off companies not to use AMD in OEM builds like HP and Dell is a giant stretch and mistake. That actually cost AMD direct revenue. Subliminal product placement on noname youtube reviewers videos will likely cause unmeasurable losses - as in, about tree fiddy, tree dollas and fitty sense.

All of this was blown way out of proportion. Even GN by getting so bent of shape about it.

Edited typos.

Eventually if not already shady marketing practices will creep into TY tech. The cosmetic industry dumps large amounts of cash into advertising to influencers.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Companies send us their press releases, we post them (for free ofc). If we post only the big guys, e.g. ASUS & MSI, the others will feel treated unfairly, and you might miss an interesting product announcement.
I would not be surprised if posting those from the upstart companies is about the only advertising they get since most their budget went into R&D and the initial production run. Whereas ASUS, MSI, NVIDIA, AMD, Intel and the others have $millions set aside just for advertising and marketing. If you did not post those from the little guys, new, innovative (and perhaps better) products may go unnoticed, forcing those companies to fold before they even get off the ground. And then we, as consumers, miss out on other, perhaps better options. :(
Then it is up the media outlet in that scenario to ensure it is "reported" as a "news" release and not a marketing scheme with marketing hype - and especially without personal opinions or "editorial comments". Opinions and editorials should, (IMO) be left to end of the reviews of those products.

Reporters and journalist have gotten away from ethics in journalism from the Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite eras where journalist verified the facts, then reported the news, not become the news.

I don't know but I think I am fully capable of coming to my own conclusions once presented with the facts. I really don't need someone else telling me what I just heard someone say.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case Lian Li O11D XL
Well, I am not on the news team, however the only accusations I see seem to be coming from you, you complain that there is a lot of news coverage surrounding an Nidia GPU release, for consistency sake I will assume that when the same happens for all the AMD 5500 AIB Releases you will do the same no?
I was talking about this news piece.
sure, sure, the only accusation comes from me.
well, I guess this article obviously isn't a conspiracy.

Fair enough.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H