• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reflashing to original 5700 non XT bios fails with "ROM not erased ERROR/ F0L01"

Henselt33

Hello,

so my Powercolor 5700 (Non XT) Red Dragon came with an older bios that had a "fans won't spin up even at 100+ d. celsius" bug as has been reported for this card before. So in my wisdom i tried to remedy this and i took the opportunity to flash the 'performance default bios' (bios switch in the outer position closest towards the VGA output connectors/backplate) to the bios for the Powercolor 5700XT Red Dragon i downloaded here from the bios database.

So atiflash_293 first gave me a Subsystem_ID mismatch when trying to flash this via the GUI, but it worked fine when going the admin CMD route with "amdvbflash -f -p 0 whatever.rom" route. The bios works fine and as intended, but since i now rather want to go for a more balanced approach between powerdraw, heat and performance, i'd like to go back to the original or the updated original version that has been posted here in the database that hopefully fixes the fan issue.

But, i can't reflash another bios, i always end up with this CMD error message.

"
C:\Users\....\Desktop\atiflash_293>amdvbflash -f -p 0 bios.rom
Old SSID: 2398
New SSID: 2399
The result of RSA signature verify is PASS.
Old DeviceID: 731F
New DeviceID: 731F
Old Product Name: NAVI10 XT Fighter Dragon 8GB K6826JAA.ROM 190W 1750RPM
New Product Name: NAVI10 Dragon K7811JAA.ROM Fighter XL 170W 2000RPM
Old BIOS Version: 017.001.000.049.000000
New BIOS Version: 017.001.000.049.000000
Flash type: GD25Q80C
programmed = 0, romsize = 100000
ROM not erased

ERROR: 0FL01
''

I have made a backup with GPU-Z and with amdvbflash, neither works. Comparing the SHA1 hash of the GPU-Z backup i made with the original 5700 Red Dragon performance default bios from the database is a match.

So, what could be the problem? Why could i flash the bios from a Red Dragon 5700 to a Red Dragon 5700XT, but can't go back? I have not tried flashing another XT bios and would like to refrain from doing so right now. The XT bios works albeit having a very loud fan spinup behaviour on initial GPU load.

Let me know what else info you might need to help. I have tried to initiate the flash back via a USB stick as detailed in the AMD/ATI flash guide, but that was written for the old atiflash.exe version and trying this with amdvbflash was not recognized by freeBS on the usb stick.

Let me know what else i could try. Thanks

UPDATE: so i tried to do get this done using my igp, but no success. Same error message. As i have read here on the forums, this "BIOS not erased" error message hints a a write protected bios, is that the likely reason? If that is correct, how can this be? Can the bios itself be coded in a way that it kinda blocks write access to the bios flash memory, even if the previous bios could be flashed over i.e. obviously there was write access to the flash memory because i successfully managed to flash the XT bios. Just trying to get a grasp of how things work. The unlockrom command works and gives me the 'Rom unlocke' message, but this doesn't help either.

I am on windows 7 x64. Would there be any reason to assume trying this on a different computer running windwos 10 might make a difference?

BTW, when i try to flash a new bios via cmd as an admin, i hear 7 faint beeps coming from the gpu. Do 7 beeps have a specific meaning?

Last edited:
I don't think windows 10 will help. I have the exact same issue with 5700 red devil and win 10.

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
Hello,

so my Powercolor 5700 (Non XT) Red Dragon came with an older bios that had a "fans won't spin up even at 100+ d. celsius" bug as has been reported for this card before. So in my wisdom i tried to remedy this and i took the opportunity to flash the 'performance default bios' (bios switch in the outer position closest towards the VGA output connectors/backplate) to the bios for the Powercolor 5700XT Red Dragon i downloaded here from the bios database.

So atiflash_293 first gave me a Subsystem_ID mismatch when trying to flash this via the GUI, but it worked fine when going the admin CMD route with "amdvbflash -f -p 0 whatever.rom" route. The bios works fine and as intended, but since i now rather want to go for a more balanced approach between powerdraw, heat and performance, i'd like to go back to the original or the updated original version that has been posted here in the database that hopefully fixes the fan issue.

But, i can't reflash another bios, i always end up with this CMD error message.

"
C:\Users\....\Desktop\atiflash_293>amdvbflash -f -p 0 bios.rom
Old SSID: 2398
New SSID: 2399
The result of RSA signature verify is PASS.
Old DeviceID: 731F
New DeviceID: 731F
Old Product Name: NAVI10 XT Fighter Dragon 8GB K6826JAA.ROM 190W 1750RPM
New Product Name: NAVI10 Dragon K7811JAA.ROM Fighter XL 170W 2000RPM
Old BIOS Version: 017.001.000.049.000000
New BIOS Version: 017.001.000.049.000000
Flash type: GD25Q80C
programmed = 0, romsize = 100000
ROM not erased

ERROR: 0FL01
''

I have made a backup with GPU-Z and with amdvbflash, neither works. Comparing the SHA1 hash of the GPU-Z backup i made with the original 5700 Red Dragon performance default bios from the database is a match.

So, what could be the problem? Why could i flash the bios from a Red Dragon 5700 to a Red Dragon 5700XT, but can't go back? I have not tried flashing another XT bios and would like to refrain from doing so right now. The XT bios works albeit having a very loud fan spinup behaviour on initial GPU load.

Let me know what else info you might need to help. I have tried to initiate the flash back via a USB stick as detailed in the AMD/ATI flash guide, but that was written for the old atiflash.exe version and trying this with amdvbflash was not recognized by freeBS on the usb stick.

Let me know what else i could try. Thanks

UPDATE: so i tried to do get this done using my igp, but no success. Same error message. As i have read here on the forums, this "BIOS not erased" error message hints a a write protected bios, is that the likely reason? If that is correct, how can this be? Can the bios itself be coded in a way that it kinda blocks write access to the bios flash memory, even if the previous bios could be flashed over i.e. obviously there was write access to the flash memory because i successfully managed to flash the XT bios. Just trying to get a grasp of how things work. The unlockrom command works and gives me the 'Rom unlocke' message, but this doesn't help either.

I am on windows 7 x64. Would there be any reason to assume trying this on a different computer running windwos 10 might make a difference?

BTW, when i try to flash a new bios via cmd as an admin, i hear 7 faint beeps coming from the gpu. Do 7 beeps have a specific meaning?
according ami bios bep signal
"Seven short beeps indicates a general exception error. This AMI beep code could be caused by an expansion card problem, a motherboard hardware issue, or a damaged CPU.

Replacing whatever faulty hardware is causing the problem is usually the fix for this beep code."
as for me i will reflash back to stock bios before anything goes far complicated, you wont break your card rly:)

Henselt33

@eXtas Hrm, would you be able to elaborate a bit on what you did to flash the XT bios and what you have tried to reflash the original non XT bios?

@potato580+ Thx for the encouraging words.

"...as for me i will reflash back to stock bios before anything goes far complicated, you wont break your card rly"

Things might have got lost in my OP (happens when you write to long posts i reckon :) ), but this is exactly what i'd like to do and fail at. I have flashed a 5700XT Red Dragon bios on the default/performance bios position of a 5700 (NON XT) Red Dragon via admin CMD per 'amdvbflash -f -p 0 bios.rom'. This 5700XT bios works fine and as intended, so its not garbage or anything. But, now i am trying to go back to stock but i completely fail with the same CMD operation to flash any other NON XT Red Dragon bios, including both the default/performance and the silent bios backups i have made via GPU-Z and amdvbflashwin.
What else could i try? And any idea why i have had write access before and now i don't?

Last edited:
@eXtas Hrm, would you be able to elaborate a bit on what you did to flash the XT bios and what you have tried to reflash the original non XT bios?

@Henselt33 How I did: Identical steps but for red devil version. Added my variation with bold :)
I have flashed a 5700XT Red Devil bios on the default/performance bios position of a 5700 (NON XT) Red Devil via admin CMD per 'amdvbflash -f -p 0 bios.rom'. This 5700XT bios works fine and as intended, so its not garbage or anything. But, now i am trying to go back to stock but i completely fail with the same CMD operation to flash any other NON XT Red Devil bios, including both the default/performance and the silent bios backups i have made via GPU-Z and amdvbflashwin and the red devil xt silent bios.

When re-flashing it fails on erasing. I have only tried with DDU and installing new drivers.

Henselt33

Hope some of the chiefs come around and let us now what might be the issue here, especially why we could flash upwards and had write access to the flash, and now we can't downgrade.

BTW: is there maybe something to be gained from trying to change the SSID so they match up before trying to do the flash?

Last edited:

Henselt33

Can anyone suggest any other things to test and do? Or at least explain a bit how vbios FLASH memory on a gpu is usually accessed and can be locked or write protected? Whether this is a pure hardware design thing or whether a flahsed bios can in fact block further write access or something?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Why are you flashing these cards? The error code is there to keep you from screwing them up.

There are not enough bios files in circulation to justify the risk of flashing.

This is coming from experience

Henselt33

@eXtas Info about the likely cause is in the last couple of posts in this thread;

Btw; i got a replacement card from the vendor because of the faulty fans, and that card booted once on the oc bios, but after trying to boot on the silent bios apparently killed the card. Neither OC nor the silent bios put out images on the screen and won't post. So this card is going back also, and i am going to switch to another brand. Powercolor has really screwed the 5700 models up in my book.

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
@eXtas Info about the likely cause is in the last couple of posts in this thread;

Btw; i got a replacement card from the vendor because of the faulty fans, and that card booted once on the oc bios, but after trying to boot on the silent bios apparently killed the card. Neither OC nor the silent bios put out images on the screen and won't post. So this card is going back also, and i am going to switch to another brand. Powercolor has really screwed the 5700 models up in my book.
i was abt pay for powercolor, have never got prolem with this brand before, this could be good information for anyonelse to picl 5700 model:toast:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
What are your specs? Where are you living?

@Henselt33 I am sorry to hear about your bad luck :( Thanks for the info about possible cause for locking the bios. I still find it a bit strange that it would get locked by flashing it. The bios version I used seems to be the one others have used (reddit thread) successfully without locking it. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213112/powercolor-rx5700xt-8192-190808
Anyway my sample of 5700 red devil works fine with the XT OC bios and I don't regret doing it. But I was hoping to play around with it more, that was the main reason for selecting this card. Perhaps I will try more later. But now I am enjoying the low noice of silent mode.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
@Henselt33 I am sorry to hear about your bad luck :( Thanks for the info about possible cause for locking the bios. I still find it a bit strange that it would get locked by flashing it. The bios version I used seems to be the one others have used (reddit thread) successfully without locking it. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213112/powercolor-rx5700xt-8192-190808
Anyway my sample of 5700 red devil works fine with the XT OC bios and I don't regret doing it. But I was hoping to play around with it more, that was the main reason for selecting this card. Perhaps I will try more later. But now I am enjoying the low noice of silent mode.

It is because he used the wrong bios

And he is not using the correct syntax in a command prompt. There is a reason why the GUI version was created.

There is a guide in my signature for a reason you must read through it thoroughly and also you must enter the correct syntax and it is amdvbflash.

You must also use 8.3 format if you are going to use it in a command prompt

Last edited:
Why are you flashing these cards? The error code is there to keep you from screwing them up.

There are not enough bios files in circulation to justify the risk of flashing.

This is coming from experience

Well I decided to get the none XT version so I could play around with it a bit. And since it got two bios it should be easy to recover I thought. And flashing the XT bios went fine, but when I tried re-flashing it didn't. So you think it's because of wrong bios (XT on none-XT card) that locks it?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Well I decided to get the none XT version so I could play around with it a bit. And since it got two bios it should be easy to recover I thought. And flashing the XT bios went fine, but when I tried re-flashing it didn't. So you think it's because of wrong bios (XT on none-XT card) that locks it?

It is because you are using the incorrect syntax and that means a bios is locked and you must use the command to unlock it if anything I would highly suggest buying a SPI flasher such as flash Cat with a clip and you can flash your card all that you want

It is because you are using the incorrect syntax and that means a bios is locked and you must use the command to unlock it if anything I would highly suggest buying a SPI flasher such as flash Cat with a clip and you can flash your card all that you want
Ok thanks for the information. Guess I should be happy that the card works good with the wrong bios that is now locked.

I don't think the GUI version works with 5700. Not really sure what command I could have messed up and the format was 8.3

I will read more and see if there is something I missed.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Ok thanks for the information. Guess I should be happy that the card works good with the wrong bios that is now locked.

I don't think the GUI version works with 5700. Not really sure what command I could have messed up and the format was 8.3

I will read more and see if there is something I missed.

Read the entire guide

Henselt33

@eidairaman1

Stating we did this wrong without explaining how it is done right ain't really helpful. I have gone over both guides in your signature and either i am blind or something, but i can't find any other style of syntax than the one i used. If there is, please post it down below so others might benefit from this knowledge. That i used the wrong bios, fair enough; that can probably be said for most non stock bios...but what would be the point of flashing something different on it then. Though i thought going with the bios from the big sister i.e. the default OC bios of the Red Dragon XT for the default OC bios of my Red Dragon NON XT sounded as close as i can get.

Still, the question how a flashable bios can become write locked remains unanswered. If you have no deeper knowledge of how this can happen, thats fine and we all stay in the dark. But if you have any idea about this, be so kind and let us and the rest know so everyone can make a more informed decision from now on.

@eXtas Which bios position did you say you flashed with the XT bios? The default OC bios or the silent one? Because the as detailed in the linked comments from the 5700 bios flash article, the other guy flashed the XT bios onto the silent bios position and was able to flash back and forth to his hearts content. He did flash an updated powercolor stock bios onto the default OC bios before trying the XT flash experiment and locked his default bios this way as well. It's still unclear how and why the write lock kicks in on the default/OC bios position.

Last edited:
@Henselt33 I flashed the default OC bios. Haven't touched the silent one. So at least 3 of us share the experience of locking the OC bios.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
@eidairaman1

Stating we did this wrong without explaining how it is done right ain't really helpful. I have gone over both guides in your signature and either i am blind or something, but i can't find any other style of syntax than the one i used. If there is, please post it down below so others might benefit from this knowledge. That i used the wrong bios, fair enough; that can probably be said for most non stock bios...but what would be the point of flashing something different on it then. Though i thought going with the bios from the big sister i.e. the default OC bios of the Red Dragon XT for the default OC bios of my Red Dragon NON XT sounded as close as i can get.

Still, the question how a flashable bios can become write locked remains unanswered. If you have no deeper knowledge of how this can happen, thats fine and we all stay in the dark. But if you have any idea about this, be so kind and let us and the rest know so everyone can make a more informed decision from now on.

@eXtas Which bios position did you say you flashed with the XT bios? The default OC bios or the silent one? Because the as detailed in the linked comments from the 5700 bios flash article, the other guy flashed the XT bios onto the silent bios position and was able to flash back and forth to his hearts content. He did flash an updated powercolor stock bios onto the default OC bios before trying the XT flash experiment and locked his default bios this way as well. It's still unclear how and why the write lock kicks in on the default/OC bios position.

It says the syntax for the error you got.

Your other option is to buy a flashcat spi reporgrammer.

Good Luck.

@eXtas Do you understand what eidairaman1 means with wrong syntax or syntax for that error?

@Henselt33 My guess is that he is trying to say, that amdvbflash tells us that it run into a problem "0FL01" meaning that bios is locked and as a safety measure it aborts flashing to avoid possible bricking the card. And syntax I am guessing he is saying that we should use the command to unlock it, but we know that wont work or is not the issue.

To me that error seems to be a generic failure when it tries to write to the flash or some thing else is not correct. Can't really tell if the flash is actually locked, the tool don't handle 5700 properly or stars aren't in correct places. And only sure way to write to the flash is using a SPI flasher.

Well I didn't get much wiser about the problem, I guess only the developer of amdvbflash could know and would need to reproduce the issue to really know.

I doubt anything is wrong with the bios since it works so I will let it be for now.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
If you want to know all commands at disposal amdvbflash.exe /? Or amdvbflash.exe -?

In my guid there is a command in the guide that unlocks the bios to bypass that lockout.

Incorrect syntax causes errors.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
If you want to know all commands at disposal amdvbflash.exe /? Or amdvbflash.exe -?
for windows, its always /? using the command prompt.