• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces Trio of TRX40 Motherboards for AMD Threadripper: ROG Zenith II Extreme, ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming, and Prime TRX40-Pro

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
ASUS today announced its all-new series of TRX40 motherboards, ROG Zenith II Extreme, ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming and Prime TRX40-Pro, that come loaded with improvements and new features to help professionals, enthusiasts and gamers alike unleash the full potential of 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors. Teamed up with the TRX40 chipset, 3rd Gen Threadripper CPUs bring PCI Express 4.0 to the high-end desktop for the first time, doubling bandwidth across a total of 64 PCIe 4.0 lanes to allow for even faster SSDs, graphics cards and AV gear. Every PCIe slot and M.2 slot in the ASUS TRX40 lineup is wired with PCIe 4.0 connectivity for maximum bandwidth, meaning any expansion cards slotted into an ASUS TRX40 board will run as fast as they possibly can.

Teamed up with the TRX40 chipset, 3rd Gen Threadripper CPUs bring PCI Express 4.0 to the high-end desktop for the first time, doubling bandwidth across a total of 64 PCIe 4.0 lanes to allow for even faster SSDs, graphics cards and AV gear. Every PCIe slot and M.2 slot in the ASUS TRX40 lineup is wired with PCIe 4.0 connectivity for maximum bandwidth, meaning any expansion cards slotted into an ASUS TRX40 board will run as fast as they possibly can. For high-end desktop users, the TRX40 series offers four memory channels for up to 256 GB of RAM across eight slots. The new 3rd Gen Threadripper CPUs maintain their predecessors' support for ECC memory, too. This empowers PC builders to take their rigs to new heights with bumped-up 3200 MHz stock RAM speeds and push the limits even further with an extra boost from exclusive OptiMem III technology in the Republic of Gamers (ROG) Zenith II Extreme. There's a ROG or ASUS TRX40 motherboard for everyone, from professionals who want the most of everything and hardcore gamers obsessed with performance to first-time builders seeking the ultimate PC experience. For further details about our ROG lineup please visit ASUS ROG. A guide with complete specifications and images for the entire lineup of TRX40 motherboards is located at ASUS Edge Up

ROG Zenith II Extreme
Perfect for professional users and gaming enthusiasts looking to explore the limits of 3rd Gen Threadripper CPUs' core and memory clock speeds. It's filled to the brim with top-notch hardware to satisfy the most demanding users. The board's styling strikes a balance between industrial power and gamer-friendly flash. With the lights off, Zenith II Extreme epitomizes stealth and subtlety, but once the multi-zone Aura RGB LED lighting is fired up, the board becomes a high-end showpiece. The decorative panel atop the I/O shield has a holographic Infinity Lighting motif, while a full-color LiveDash OLED display can display POST codes, critical system information or custom graphics. Aluminium ROG Armor covers most of the front of the board, and a metal backplate fortifies the board against the weight of massive heatsinks and expansion cards.

Zenith II Extreme employs an enhanced 16-power-stage VRM design, suitable for the most extreme overclocking efforts. Many components in a high-end build can get a little toasty once workloads ramp up and the bits start flowing, so Zenith II Extreme's main VRM heatsink uses two semi-passive fans that turn on only when the underlying component temperatures reach 60 ºC. To further enhance heat dissipation, a heat pipe joins the main VRM heatsink with an auxiliary heatsink under the I/O shroud. Another fan underneath the chipset heatsink draws heat away from the main M.2 slots and the TRX40 silicon itself, and its airflow also helps keep the SoC VRM cool during memory overclocking. Every one of those those fans is smart enough to turn on only when they're needed and are controlled by the Fan Xpert 4 utility. Extensive storage capabilities are enabled by Zenith II Extreme's five M.2 slots each using up to four lanes of PCIe 4.0, with three slots directly onboard and two coming from the exclusive DIMM.2 module. Hard drives are still the kings of sheer capacity, and Zenith II Extreme provides eight SATA ports to meet even serious mass-storage needs.

Networking is a key aspect for workstation and high-end desktop machines, because workloads on these systems often involve shuffling large chunks of data from one machine to another. Zenith II Extreme features a trio of network interfaces. An Intel I211-AT Gigabit Ethernet controller gets the party started, but the Aquantia AQC-107 10GbE controller really fires things up, as it makes short work of multi-terabyte transfers. If wires aren't the order of the day, then Zenith II Extreme's future-proof connectivity with Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5 support should satisfy. Every recent improvement in USB speed has made its way into Zenith II Extreme, so the board is more than ready for the latest peripherals. The back panel contains a total of seven USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports with 10 Gbps of throughput, but the real highlight is the super-fast USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C connector with 20 Gbps of bandwidth. It also includes a pair of front-panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 connectors, four USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports and three USB 2.0 headers.

ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming: Take command of any arena
ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming is the motherboard with all the high-end desktop credentials expected from such a standout component, and it fits all of that power into a standard ATX form factor with great customization options, sleek cybertext aesthetics and a 1.3-inch LiveDash OLED display. Its striking angular design extends to the M.2 heatsink and audio circuitry covers, and most of the board is blacked out so that it can look its best under any shade of RGB LED lighting. This new Strix board feeds its CPU with a 16-stage VRM with two semi-passive fans above the heatsink to keep things cool, even with demanding overlocks. ProCool II power plugs and their solid pins help ensure stable power delivery to Threadripper's many cores and keep the connectors themselves cool under load. The board also provides plenty of options for storage devices and peripherals. There are three M.2 sockets, each linked to four lanes of PCIe 4.0, as well as eight SATA ports that adorn the edge of the board. Around the back are eight USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports with 10 Gbps of bandwidth, including one TypeC, alongside another four USB 2.0 Type-A connectors. Strix TRX40-E Gaming also offers dedicated headers for both AIO and custom-loop pumps in addition to its standard arsenal of fan headers. The new board also comes with a trio of network controllers. The Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 adapter with Bluetooth 5 reprises its role, alongside a potent 2.5 Gbps Realtek Ethernet controller paired with the Intel I211-AT Gigabit Ethernet controller. For audio needs, Strix TRX40-E Gaming uses a SupremeFX S1220 audio codec in addition to providing DTS Sound Unbound support.

ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro: A rock-solid professional foundation for any 3rd Gen Threadripper
Prime TRX40-Pro is a reliable foundation for any enthusiast or professional with creative workloads like video editing and 3D rendering that benefit from the power of many-core CPUs. In addition to contributing to the board's clean and futuristic design, its brushed-aluminium VRM heatsink draws heat away from a 16-stage power-delivery subsystem comprising Infineon TDA21462 integrated power stages paired with premium chokes and components. Every single expansion slot comes loaded with the performance of PCIe 4.0, too: three PCIe x16 ASUS SafeSlots grace the main portion of the board, and they're poised to run all-out in an x16/x16/x16 configuration.

Prime TRX40-Pro includes three M.2 slots, wired up to PCIe 4.0 x4 bandwidth. Creators working with massive video files can RAID together multiple NVM Express (NVMe) devices for massive I/O bandwidth and seamless playback in their editing bays. Two of those slots rest under a dedicated heatsink for preventing SSD throttling under heavy loads. The third M.2 slot positions SSDs vertically to take advantage of ambient airflow around the CPU socket. The USB port selection on the back panel includes three USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A connectors and a reversible USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port to provide up to 10 Gbps for connecting fast external storage, audio interfaces, dedicated video editing controllers and more. Prime TRX40-Pro also has a full set of fan and liquid-cooling headers controllable with our Fan Xpert 4 utility. The board also includes an E-key M.2 2230 socket for those who wish to add a Wi-Fi module. Wired connectivity comes from a Gigabit Ethernet port backed by an Intel I211-AT chip. The Realtek S1220 audio codec offers pristine audio quality, helped along by EMI shielding and separate PCB layers for the left and right channels to maintain signal integrity. When it's time to pump up the volume, DTS:X Ultra support brings immersive 3D spatial audio to existing headphones or speakers.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
Good to see m.2 DIMM back, its a much better solution for mounting m.2 cards IMO.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
.... a Threadripper board...with the designation GAMING ? I mean I know it was meaningless but this goes a bit far.
Patiently waiting for an Asus GAMING headphone stand.

.... a Threadripper board...with the designation GAMING ? I mean I know it was meaningless but this goes a bit far.
Patiently waiting for an Asus GAMING headphone stand.
That's because Threadripper is HEDT and not pure workstation. Funny how some are still confused of the two.

Processor R9 5900X
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master
Cooling MO-RA3 420 LT | 4x NF-A20
Memory F4-3600C16D-32GTZN @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 TUF
Storage 2x 1TB SN750 | 1x 2TB SN850X
Display(s) AW3423DW | S2721DGFA
Case Enthoo 719
Audio Device(s) AE-5 | DT1990 Pro | Rode NT-USB
Power Supply SP 11 Pt 750W
Mouse G502 X Plus
Keyboard Ducky Shine 7
Zenith II Extreme employs an enhanced 16-power-stage VRM design
This new Strix board feeds its CPU with a 16-stage VRM
draws heat away from a 16-stage power-delivery subsystem comprising Infineon TDA21462
So that means they are still using an IR35201 in 8+0 mode on all three boards?

Good to see m.2 DIMM back, its a much better solution for mounting m.2 cards IMO.

I think so too. I'd rather have more PCIe slots rather than wasted them on ATX/EATX with M.2 slots. PCIe is way more versatile. I'd rather have the M.2 slots in other sections, by the PCH, the m.2 DIMM ASUS does or even on the back.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I think so too. I'd rather have more PCIe slots rather than wasted them on ATX/EATX with M.2 slots. PCIe is way more versatile. I'd rather have the M.2 slots in other sections, by the PCH, the m.2 DIMM ASUS does or even on the back.
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Series Desktop processors :
1 x ROG DIMM.2 Module supports 2 M.2 Socket 3 , with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support(SATA & PCIe 4.0 x4 mode)
2 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIe 4.0 x4 mode)*1
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Series Desktop processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 mode)*2
Support Raid 0, 1, 10

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
That's because Threadripper is HEDT and not pure workstation. Funny how some are still confused of the two.

Funny how you think that that means its a good choice for gaming...

As Lisa Su said, TR is for those who wants no compromise... whether it’s gaming, overclocking, video editing, showboating... whatever you want it to be.

As Lisa Su said, TR is for those who wants no compromise... whether it’s gaming, overclocking, video editing, showboating... whatever you want it to be.
That description fits ryzen 9 cpus better, i think. With this launch they are moving the HEDT segment away from enthusiasts and closer to workstation/server class hardware

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
That description fits ryzen 9 cpus better, i think. With this launch they are moving the HEDT segment away from enthusiasts and closer to workstation/server class hardware
According to AMD these two new HEDT CPUs have single threaded performance in the 3700X/3800X range, so they'll be perfectly fine for gaming (so long as the games don't have weird high core count bugs).

I'm pretty sure these will game well, much better than 2970wx and 2990wx did, but not better than 3950x will.
The prosumer crowd that need many cores will no doubt love these new threadrippers, while the enthusiast/gamer crowd will go for mainstream platform this time and get a 3950x, especially with those prices

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I think TUF ZENIETH Sounds better than ROG

That Zenith II bears a striking resemblance to the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore for socket 2066. R&D costs must be nice & low.

So the DIMM.2 module still only support 4 lanes? I wonder how much gain would be found using an 8x PCIe Gen4 card with bifurcation. Seems like a missed opportunity here seeing as MSI is shipping said cards with their boards.