• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers for Windows 10 (Dolby Digital Live/DTS Interactive)

Dodge Gee

I am not sure how to test whether my Logitech g906 speaker is working using the optical output from my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master.
I believe I have everything upto date - Drivers and Windows.

I did the following Steps:
1 - Uninstalled the Realtek HD Drivers and restarted PC
2 - I downloaded both Realtek R2.80 & R2.82 Zip files as I tried both. (Note R2.80 allowed the Realtek Manager, where as R2.82 did not)
3 - I then extracted the zip file to an install folder on the Desktop
4 - I then downloaded and used the Realtek HD Sound Driver Patcher (A1) from Pihto (22-04-2015) and copied it to the install folder

5 - I applied the patch to both RltkAPO.dll & RltkAPO64.dll in the Win64 folder
6 - I then ran the setup as administrator after successfully patching the files
7 - During the installation, a pop-up from Windows Security requesting to install the unverified driver/publisher, which I selected to install anyway

8 - After installation completed, I restarted the PC

For the R2.80:

Note in the sound properties, the configure button is greyed/blocked
In Realtek Digital Output Advanced tab, I had both DTS & Dolby Digital Live (5.1) options included
In Realtek HD Audio manager, if the Dolby Digital Live was selected, the Dolby/DTS tab cannot be used. When changing the option as shown above to DTS it unblocks the slider(not sure what the slider does though) - How ever still don't know how to send a test sound/tone through individual speakers?

For R2.82:

Note that Realtek HD manager does not open with R2.82

So, I am not sure how to test whether this is working or not?

What I tried, was to download a DTS trailer demo and ran it through VLC Media Player with these settings and it seemed to be working?

So is there a way to configure and test each individual speaker(distance/independent volume), including the Surround L/R, asthe test signal in Sound Manager plays a stereo sound, like the oooold Realtek HD manager used to do in the early 2010s?

For now, I'm going to run with the R2.82 modded driver and assume it working as DTS and hopefully get my surround game on for the first time? I Hope.

Thanks to the modders/Developers!

The Test button in the old Sound device windows will only play 2 channels over Optical.

I can't tell for sure, because I'm not physically at your sound system, but I'm guessing if all speakers on the right are lit (plus sub), it's probably working? at least when something's playing.

Do you have a 3D game with surround sound you could test?

Setting up media players, including VLC, can be kind of weird for several varying reasons. (I'm also astonished that after all these years, VLC itself can't speaker-fill up from Stereo, but that's a different issue.)

It could be rare, but SOME DVDs have a surround sound audio test menu, you could try playing that.

For me, with VLC at default settings, my DVD surround sound works right from the start. (I'm a little surprised because I didn't think that used to be the case. I reset the settings and didn't change anything.)

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
I am not sure how to test whether my Logitech g906 speaker is working using the optical output from my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master.

I did the following Steps:
1 - Uninstalled the Realtek HD Drivers and restarted PC
2 - I downloaded both Realtek R2.80 & R2.82 Zip files as I tried both. (Note R2.80 allowed the Realtek Manager, where as R2.82 did not)
3 - I then extracted the zip file to an install folder on the Desktop
4 - I then downloaded and used the Realtek HD Sound Driver Patcher (A1) from Pihto (22-04-2015) and copied it to the install folder
View attachment 135968
5 - I applied the patch to both RltkAPO.dll & RltkAPO64.dll in the Win64 folder
6 - I then ran the setup as administrator after successfully patching the files
7 - During the installation, a pop-up from Windows Security requesting to install the unverified driver/publisher, which I selected to install anyway
View attachment 135969
8 - After installation completed, I restarted the PC

For the R2.80:
View attachment 135964View attachment 135965View attachment 135966
View attachment 135967View attachment 135970
View attachment 135971
Note in the sound properties, the configure button is greyed/blocked
In Realtek Digital Output Advanced tab, I had both DTS & Dolby Digital Live (5.1) options included
In Realtek HD Audio manager, if the Dolby Digital Live was selected, the Dolby/DTS tab cannot be used. When changing the option as shown above to DTS it unblocks the slider(not sure what the slider does though) - How ever still don't know how to send a test sound/tone through individual speakers?

For R2.82:
View attachment 135972View attachment 135973
Note that Realtek HD manager does not open with R2.82

So, I am not sure how to test whether this is working or not?

What I tried, was to download a DTS trailer demo and ran it through VLC Media Player with these settings and it seemed to be working?
View attachment 135974

So is there a way to configure and test each individual speaker(distance/independent volume), including the Surround L/R, asthe test signal in Sound Manager plays a stereo sound, like the oooold Realtek HD manager used to do in the early 2010s?

For now, I'm going to run with the R2.82 modded driver and assume it working as DTS and hopefully get my surround game on for the first time? I Hope.

Thanks to the modders/Developers!
Google, download for 5.1 aac test audio to prevent bitstreaming. Play.

DeYReX

Hi. Somebody knows how to make stereo sound ( Z906 )throught all the speakers? ( 5.1 ) Like i want to listen music through all 5 speakers and the sound to be the same in all like it is when i activate the 4.1 mode but then the center one goes out.
Also guys do you recomand me to install this realtek unlocked for my z906 experience? Thanks ;)

Eyripidrakos

Guys help! After replace my motherboard , audio 5.1 not work.
i buy the new MB X470 GAMING PLUS MAX (7.1-Channel High Definition Audio, Supports S/PDIF output) and connected with LG home theater 5.1 with optical S/PDIF.
drivers 6.0.1.8036

i have sound but NO subwoofer NO DTS NO DD . I test with old and new drivers 6.0.8844.1 & 6.0.1.8619 same things

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,635
  • sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,869
Hi. Somebody knows how to make stereo sound ( Z906 )throught all the speakers? ( 5.1 ) Like i want to listen music through all 5 speakers and the sound to be the same in all like it is when i activate the 4.1 mode but then the center one goes out.
Also guys do you recomand me to install this realtek unlocked for my z906 experience? Thanks ;)

Voicemeeter has an option for Stereo Surround!
GLHF!

decebalus66

lillo6 method from page 2 worked flawless for Win 10 build 18362.535 Realtek 2.80 and ASUS P9X79 LE, thanks guys, brilliant

Processor 3700X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Spirit 140
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2070
Storage 970evo
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W Gold
Software W10Pro

I have the Aorus X570 Elite. I cannot get this to install for the life of me! The original driver from Gigabyte installs fine. However when using the patch I even set Windows to Test mode and tried disabling Driver sig enforcement it always says Driver install failure. I never get the red install this driver anyway window.
Screenshot (13).png

Dalholt

So I got my Astro A50 Gen4, and was messing arround with some settings.
And click on this two red markers. And afther that I cant get any sound.
Try re-install realtek. Nothing works. I cant click them on again, they are grey now.
Can anyone help me pleas?
realtek.png

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I'm confused Nahimic and the Realtech drivers for the MB are all I have ever used.
Questions: What does this driver do? is it better than Nahimic and the realtech drivers I have now?
I have my computer hooked to my Denon AVR-3802 via the optical ports. Yet No light on my "Signal" For Dolby or dts come on. the input light shows PCM.
That said I have Amazing sound and full 7.1 Channel surround sound.

Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
Hmmm...I am using the MB drivers and this unlocks features for DDLive and DTS Interactive for surround in games and outputting files with AAC surround sound. Not to be rude but I think HDMI audio is better if you can do that, youll get DD+ TrueHD DTS Master etc, the optical cannot pass those through. I just patched the dll and it unlocks the previously mentioned DDLive and DTS Interactive features. Unless you know something we all dont and wouldnt mind sharing, you probably dont have surround in games unless youre running something natively already has said features. Correct me if I am wrong. Oh I guess looks like Nahemic does that? *Edit.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Hmmm...I am using the MB drivers and this unlocks features for DDLive and DTS Interactive for surround in games and outputting files with AAC surround sound. Not to be rude but I think HDMI audio is better if you can do that, youll get DD+ TrueHD DTS Master etc, the optical cannot pass those through. I just patched the dll and it unlocks the previously mentioned DDLive and DTS Interactive features. Unless you know something we all dont and wouldnt mind sharing, you probably dont have surround in games unless youre running something natively already has said features. Correct me if I am wrong. Oh I guess looks like Nahemic does that? *Edit.
Yes I can do HDMI audio but I do not think it is any better than optical But I am not an expert at all. I just know that sweet sound comes out my system. To be perfectly honest with you I do not like Dolby surround sound. It's all nice and all in the theater but not in my living room. I like 7 channel stereo you get more sound and more room fullness with that vs Dolby or surround sound.
And In games I can hear lots more from 7 channel than from Dolby. I have never been a fan of Dolby surround sound really. I have it sure but I just do not like it. and for music on tape and record it's just better for me by 100%. I NEVER listen to surround sound music.

I have the Aorus X570 Elite. I cannot get this to install for the life of me! The original driver from Gigabyte installs fine. However when using the patch I even set Windows to Test mode and tried disabling Driver sig enforcement it always says Driver install failure. I never get the red install this driver anyway window.View attachment 142111
Yeah I got this message too. I see no point in this driver.

Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
I got it working by just installing the gigabyte drivers from their website. Create a patched dll from the patch located in this thread I used 2.82 realtek drivers to get it and rename and replace it in system32 folder in safe mode and voila. Done.

If I were you I'd just do sound over Nvidia HDMI assuming you have a dedicated card. It's just pcm multichannel audio not dolby. Much better than optical. As long as all the hw supports it it is higher quality. But to TBH I doubt our ears will know the difference.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I got it working by just installing the gigabyte drivers from their website. Create a patched dll from the patch located in this thread I used 2.82 realtek drivers to get it and rename and replace it in system32 folder in safe mode and voila. Done.

If I were you I'd just do sound over Nvidia HDMI assuming you have a dedicated card. It's just pcm multichannel audio not dolby. Much better than optical. As long as all the hw supports it it is higher quality. But to TBH I doubt our ears will know the difference.
TBH My Klipsch speakers are far better than any normal crap so yeah the Optical is fine my Sony TV has one and it's also connected to the stereo Not sure but I think it is better quality sounds.
Also How is Nvidia sound better than the sound card that is on my MB? The video card is NOT a sound card so there can hardly be a better out put for the audio than a sound card RIGHT? A video card is for video not sound or why sell sound cards or put them on MB's? I'm confused.

Last edited:
Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
It is not. Optical is limited. HDMI has higher capabilities. Although to get it at high resolution you will need to jump down the rabbit hole and it goes way down haha

Fix

Hello together!

So, do I get it right from the last few posts that all those mentioned modding/hacking stuff is needless when using 1. HDMI from Graphics card to AVR and 2. Analog wires to another sound system?

What is or is there any real benefit when using digital (optical/coaxial) instead of analog wires other than not needing those 3 analog wires? Since as far as I know Surround over optical from games and so on does not work but only over 3 analog wires because optical S/PDIF does not have enough bandwidth for carrying those uncompressed streams for 6 channels!? (But HDMI does)

Thx & Greetings

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
It is not. Optical is limited. HDMI has higher capabilities. Although to get it at high resolution you will need to jump down the rabbit hole and it goes way down haha
Well that limitation must not be much because the sound comes through really clear clean and well perfectly fine. And as for using my video card as a sound card, Why do they make sound cards then or put them on MB's if they are not needed?
After all you don't need a sound card if the video card is making it for you right?
So why use optical ports then? if something isn't as good as the other then what is the point in putting optical hookups on your equipment?
This is a brand new 2018 MB why on earth would they put a sound card on the MB and an Optical sound port if HDMI was and IS better than why not just have the sound card have a HDMI hookup or just eliminate the sound card altogether?

Also here is what the Realtech sound card looks like.
sound screen.jpg

Okay this is the Sony HDMI hook up and well you are correct in saying this is better!
I switched over to the Sony HDMI sound.

6 channel.jpg

Last edited:

Fix

I'd say HDMI just passes through the "original" sound stream from whatever source. The graphics card has not to deal with it in any way other than just pass it through to the HDMI.

What do you have hooked up at the other HDMI end? Did you configure your speaker setup in Windows?

Windows Sound Speaker Config.PNG

(At the moment only my 2 speaker monitor is connected to the graphics card (through Display Port cable what is a comparable scenario) and powered on but if I've connected/powered on the AVR I can choose much more here up to 7.1)

Why do they make sound cards then or put them on MB's if they are not needed?
So why use optical ports then? if something isn't as good as the other then what is the point in putting optical hookups on your equipment?
This is a brand new 2018 MB why on earth would they put a sound card on the MB and an Optical sound port if HDMI was and IS better than why not just have the sound card have a HDMI hookup or just eliminate the sound card altogether?

If you'd read my post right above yours you would have at least one answer. A very easy and obvious one. And the others for optical, coaxial and whatever are just exactly the same. Or how would you do that with just a graphics card but no sound card without buying some additional HDMI audio extractor (to digital/optical and/or analog) or similar?
Not everybody has an (expensive) AVR! I haven't had one for not too long ago and then the graphics card's HDMI sound output was just useless for me... Well, in most cases at least. If you have and use a TV or monitor with integrated speakers as on my example avove, then you could still use it.

Regards

Edit: I just saw you've chosen "Realtek Digital Output" and not your Nvidia output like your "Sony TV *00" so this has not to do anything with HDMI and HDMI sound output! You've chosen the totally wrong sound output device! To the above would apply what this whole huge thread is about. Chose your Nvidia / Sony TV output device. But I really doubt that your Sony TV supports more than Stereo/2 channells but yo'll see there in Speaker config.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Holy.. All this stuff is really confusing.
speaker con.jpg

And during the "test" nothing works correctly. No sub the speakers are not configuring at all. LOL this is a MESS!
Also how the heck do I plug my video card in to sound? and my stereo still has to conect to the computer some how so other than the optical cable there is NOTHING that connects the computer to the stereo so I have to use the realtech ANYWAY. I am now just utterly confused and am going back to my realtech.

Last edited:

Fix

Where does your optical cable go? Not to the TV as well I guess?

You have listed above all possible sound output devices, they are independent and don't really have to do anything with each other!
"This" is not "a mess", you're confusing and mixing things! You don't need a sound card nor an optical or other cable if you output your sound through GPUs/HDMI. But if your optical cable goes to another device than your HDMI cable (what I'd guess) it is clear that it doesn't work the same or as you'd like and expect! Your HDMI goes to the TV, so the TV is your video and sound output device. Your optical goes to ???
What do you mean by "stereo"?

P. S. Maybe it helps something for understanding: When you click the speaker symbol right down on the Task bar you will see and also be able to choose, to which sound output device (like in the list above) you'd like to output your sound (above the volume slider).

Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
I found that if you switch connections windows does not sometimes refresh that connection that is why his tv is displaying that speaker config. Set it to stereo and apply it then go back and test and they will work. Please read my post I linked. Basically, you and I and a whole bunch of others are stuck with a choice. 1. Use display port to hdmi cable/adapter for lossless surround sound and another HDMI port to carry 4k60hz to the tv. 2. Buy a new Avr with 4k60hz passthrough. 3. Set it up like I have.
I went for the 3rd option which led me here.

And to respond to why audio cards exist...they are getting dated like Fix said hdmi is passing through the audio. I know media content creators use them for videos and sound tracks and stuff. But I think most gamers are not using them anymore, well at least they are not using them because they want to but because they have to for some stupid reason like me. Toslink is only being kept alive by sound bars IMO lol.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-live-and-dts-interactive.193148/post-4188108

Last edited:

Fix

I saw you've added your TV in the post above. It supports those encoded surround formats and 6 channels (5.1). But it surely cannot play the later so you need to connect a surround system to your TV for this to work! Maybe with the optical cable (if it has optical out). Or if you follow this thread and are able to enables DTS and so on in your Realktek control panel, you can output surround through your optical cable if I've understood correctly but then you need a Decoder which chan decode this encoded stream which maybe your whatever sound system has built in. Or if your TV has optical in, connect the optical cable to the TV and then your sound system to your TV.

There are so many possibilities for different use cases but my problem is that I've no idea what you've all got exactly and what goal you aim...

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Where does your optical cable go? Not to the TV as well I guess?

You have listed above all possible sound output devices, they are independent and don't really have to do anything with each other!
"This" is not "a mess", you're confusing and mixing things! You don't need a sound card nor an optical or other cable if you output your sound through GPUs/HDMI. But if your optical cable goes to another device than your HDMI cable (what I'd guess) it is clear that it doesn't work the same or as you'd like and expect! Your HDMI goes to the TV, so the TV is your video and sound output device. Your optical goes to ???
What do you mean by "stereo"?

P. S. Maybe it helps something for understanding: When you click the speaker symbol right down on the Task bar you will see and also be able to choose, to which sound output device (like in the list above) you'd like to output your sound (above the volume slider).
Seriously You do not know what a stereo is? It is the denon AVR-3802. It has 3 optical input ports and since that is the only connection cable I have to hook the Stereo ( Denon AVR-3802) up to the computer then how else do I connect them? And yes an Optical cable goes from the TV ( Sony 4K Bravia ) to the Stereo (Denon AVR-3802).
But The video card HDMI cable goes from the Computer to the TV ( Sony 4K 65" Bravia) This is of course my "Monitor".
So Nahimic works great the Optical cable works the one thing I do not have is any way to configure the speakers in realtech and it only has 2 channel. so there is a mess some where yet the sound is "better" and louder with the on board sound realtech. and Nahimic gives me some really nice surround sound.

Fix

I found that if you switch connections windows does not sometimes refresh that connection that is why his tv is displaying that speaker config. Set it to stereo and apply it then go back and test and they will work. Please read my post I linked. Basically, you and I and a whole bunch of others are stuck with a choice. 1. Use display port to hdmi cable/adapter for lossless surround sound and another HDMI port to carry 4k60hz to the tv. 2. Buy a new Avr with 4k60hz passthrough. 3. Set it up like I have.
I went for the 3rd option which led me here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-live-and-dts-interactive.193148/post-4188108

I've never seen this behavior and doubt it here since you choose your exact sound output device which also correctly shows your connected device (TV) here. It is possible that the TV supports 6 channels and encoded formats and just outputs them on built in stereo speakers and/or that it is able to pass it through and ouput those digital signals to whatever device (as I just described right above). I think mine can to that, at least the later.

He does want surround I understand, so why should he choose stereo if he also says above that he only is/was able to choose stereo ouput (through Realktek/Optical).

1. Use display port to hdmi cable/adapter for lossless surround sound and another HDMI port to carry 4k60hz to the tv."
Whaaaaat???? I don't understand in any way! Why use adapter? Where does this 2nd HDMI cable go? (I have a 4k HDMI 2.0 AVR and on each graphics card 2x DP and 2x HDMI - AVR has speakers connected as well as projector and TV, it is the "HDMI switch" and the "amplifier/surround system")

What is the "3rd option" exactly?