• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Picking a Lenovo Laptop

• Thread starter Deleted member 189968
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189968

I really need some help picking a laptop soon
I was recommended a T495 a month ago but Don't have the money for it here in Denmark and can't fint one used. My best option is to get a used laptop with a budget around $850

I need it for HD video editing: 1080P, recording music and light photo editing. Most of the time I will probably be writing on it
and making powerpoints, and do on-sceen recordings (camtasia).

So far I've thought of
Lenovo T480 with 16GB dual channel ram and i5 8250U
Lenovo T480s but not a big fan of soldered ram but if 16GB (2x8GB) dual channel RAM can do the jo I'm fine

I know these above models are without dedicated GPU other than intel integrated GPU.
Thinkpad X395
13,3" FHD 1920x1080, IPS Multitouch skærm.
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3500U
Radeon Vega Mobile

However for the X395 i fear Thermal throtteling would make the T480s a better choice since it's CPU would perform better

I'm not sure if this AMD ryzen is better due to the GPU, i do prefere the build quality (tank-like) of the Thinkpad T series.
In general i like lenovo due to the keyboard and build quality, but i might be biased toward that brand. I also love
their cool, quiet and power effecient operation (yea I'm definately biased :D )

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
but i might be biased toward that brand.
Interesting as I am biased against the brand as they have a long history of repeatedly installing malware on their products. :( Admittedly, they do make good stuff. I just don't trust the Chinese government and this brand. Again, it is because they repeatedly installed malware. Even after being caught and admitting it, they did it again!

I understand your concern about surface mounted (soldered) RAM. But as you noted 16GB is a nice size chunk, so I don't see there being a need to increase it. The good news is, if RAM survives being powered up the very first time, odds are it will last a lifetime. That's why finding RAM that does not have a lifetime warranty is actually difficult. And being surface mounted actually helps protect it from physical damage or ESD - a good thing.

But do you really need a portable computer? You mention cool and quiet but the facts are, all notebooks are challenged to stay cool. Lenovo is not really any better than any other. Manufacturers can pack the power of a PC in those tiny cases, but not the necessary cooling. Consider that standard tower cases are even challenged to keep their innards cool and those cases support multiple large case fans capable of moving massive amounts of cool air flowing through the case.

Plus most users don't have the skill-sets to completely open a notebook to expose the interior for a thorough cleaning of all the heat-trapping dust that will be pulled in by the cooling fan. So heat concerns are there from the start, and go downhill from there. And that is especially true with demanding tasks like video editing. This means throttling is a common occurrence when the notebook is tasked.

Then there's the issue of upgrades - most notebooks allow for very few, if any. A PC, on the other hand, typically can by upgraded extensively and evolve with your needs for years to come. For example, if the PC comes with a motherboard and CPU that use integrated graphics, you can easily add a more powerful graphics card when the budget allows. Even if you have the budget, you can't upgrade the graphics in most notebooks.

If you already have an external keyboard, mouse and monitor, your entire budget can go into the PC itself. With a notebook you end up spending a chunk of the budget on the keyboard, monitor and mouse. And if a major component like the motherboard dies, you often then need to replace the perfectly working keyboard, mouse and monitor again.

If you need portability, then fine. I am just saying for your stated usage for this computer, a desktop (with a large monitor too) would probably serve you better, for years to come. Doing video and photo editing on a tiny 13 inch notebook monitor can be real challenging to your eyes (and neck).

Have you looked into refurbished computers?

If those two Lenovo's were my only choices, I'd go for the larger screen, 16GB RAM. It looks like both come with 256GB SSDs so that does not matter.

D

Deleted member 189968

Well as long as I can watch Winnie The Pooh I'm okay with chinese products (did i just say that :O ). I guess the smartest thing to do Is to always make a fresh installation of Windows (or other operating systems) and then you are from malware?

Yes I agree a Mini Itx would be smarter. The reason i want a laptop for max $850 is so i can use it for study, powerpoints and light video editing when I'm not home. If the need arises some time into 2020 I might need to consider getting a Desktop and then I'm also curious about how good the AMD series has progressed and how Intel looks at that time.

I agree with everything you mention about the thermals and drawbacks of laptops, However I have never had a Lapop better than an Lenovo X200 (before intel i3) so I'm curious about how these new Intel 8 generation laptops perform in programs like Camtasia, basic video editors too (They must be able to pull it off in HD). This one is only for writing and websurfing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I'm with bill with regards to lenovo
Again, it is because they repeatedly installed malware. Even after being caught and admitting it, they did it again!
I guess the smartest thing to do Is to always make a fresh installation of Windows (or other operating systems) and then you are from malware?
Lenovo were also known to install their Spyware pre installed wares in the EUFI Bios AREA so it was checked and re installed as necessary from Boot
A Clean Install just reloaded the crap.
Check out the Dell Site for a Refurbished Laptop/Desktop they may have something suitable for you for your Budget

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I guess the smartest thing to do Is to always make a fresh installation of Windows (or other operating systems) and then you are from malware?
Well a fresh install of the OS on a brand new computer is not always easy - especially when they likely don't come with the installation disk. But I sure would "decrapify", clean and scan the heck out of it.

That said, for me, it is not so much that I am confident I could rid the Lenovo of any and all malicious code (I am). It is more that I don't wish to reward the company with my purchase. And again, that is because they have repeatedly demonstrated they don't care about our security. Once happens. Multiple times means it is allowed to happen. :(

Yes I agree a Mini Itx would be smarter.
Well, I never suggested a "mini ITX". I would take one over a laptop if portability was not an essential requirement. But I sure would go for something that is ATX compatible. Not all ITX systems are ATX compatible. That greatly limits upgrade options.

I agree with everything you mention about the thermals and drawbacks of laptops, However I have never had a Lapop better than an Lenovo X200 (before intel i3) so I'm curious about how these new Intel 8 generation laptops perform in programs like Camtasia, basic video editors too (They must be able to pull it off in HD). This one is only for writing and websurfing
I certainly understand brand loyalty - especially after getting previous good service with that brand. Just remember, all laptops are pretty much just assemblies of parts from other makers. For example, ASUS and Foxconn are the OEM motherboard suppliers for many notebook makers. AMD and Intel supply the CPUs. Micron and Samsung the RAM, etc.

The Camtasia system requirements suggest either of those Lenovos will work just fine.

FTR, most security folks include "spyware" under the umbrella definition for "malware". I was in my opening post.

D

Deleted member 189968

Well a fresh install of the OS on a brand new computer is not always easy - especially when they likely don't come with the installation disk. But I sure would "decrapify", clean and scan the heck out of it.

That said, for me, it is not so much that I am confident I could rid the Lenovo of any and all malicious code (I am). It is more that I don't wish to reward the company with my purchase. And again, that is because they have repeatedly demonstrated they don't care about our security. Once happens. Multiple times means it is allowed to happen. :(

I get the Ethical aspect of it! For installation of windows I would find it easy to just boot from USB.
So what Other Brand and Model would you recommend for my purpose? I just love the Keyboard, designs, power effeciency and build quality of the Lenovo,
P.s thank you for the decrapify tool! that looks useful after a fresh windows installation (It come with so much crap these days) :)

Dorsetknob " installed wares in the EUFI Bios AREA" that's a prolem and so wrong to do! Do we know which specific models?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You will find fans of all brands. I note many like Acer, ASUS, HP, Dell, and Samsung. And of course, Apple users love their Apples.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Interesting as I am biased against the brand as they have a long history of repeatedly installing malware on their products. :( Admittedly, they do make good stuff. I just don't trust the Chinese government and this brand. Again, it is because they repeatedly installed malware. Even after being caught and admitting it, they did it again!

This is true and does speak volumes, but to my knowledge they have never done that to the actual Thinkpad lineup. The way they hold it on a pedestal, I have doubts they ever will.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Consumer-IBM should be spinning in it's grave
Maybe. On the other hand, IBM might be glad they severed those ties too.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Why there's no one that mention a product then?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I would if I kept current on specific models. But I don't. I wish I could be more helpful.

But also, the OP is in Denmark. I don't know what is available there.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Maybe. On the other hand, IBM might be glad they severed those ties too.

Consumer-IBM once owned factories and made their own stuff.

Now they are dead. I imagine it's the kind of dead that is very unhappy.

Why there's no one that mention a product then?

I almost want to kill myself, but... Dell has a pro business notebook line that I actually hear is ok.

Shut up, "Dude, you got a dell!" dude! Go back to weedjail.

Sorry, he was always a petpeeve of mine.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Back in the day, that was very true. But even outsourcers outsource these days. :kookoo: :rolleyes:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Now they are dead. I imagine it's the kind of dead that is very unhappy.

I almost want to kill myself, but... Dell has a pro business notebook line that I actually hear is ok.

Shut up, "Dude, you got a dell!" dude! Go back to weedjail.

Sorry, he was always a petpeeve of mine.

What's wrong with Dells? The Latitude D series were pretty great (apart from the Geforce death) and my current e6330 is actually very nice.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
What's wrong with Dells? The Latitude D series were pretty great (apart from the Geforce death) and my current e6330 is actually very nice.

I just hated the mascot dude. You may notice I just recomended them. It's more a "I want to hate them" then any legit complaint. :roll:

Back in the day, that was very true. But even outsourcers outsource these days. :kookoo: :rolleyes:

Consumer-IBM was one of the few holdouts at their buyout. They had US support, US factories even until like the last 4 years when they sold out a lot of their manufacturing (not just to Lenovo, even Acer and LG got some of it). Still, for high end products, they ran a few native factories under their own umbrella all the way until their buyout by Lenovo in 2005.

Hence my comment. Consumer-IBM was very proud of this. Now they don't exist... product of a bygone era, killed by unprofitable oldschool practices.

Last edited: