• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Panasonic Exits Silicon Manufacturing Business

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Panasonic, an electronics manufacturing giant, has today sold its silicon manufacturing business, marking the end of an era of Japanese semiconductor manufacturing. Once a big player in silicon manufacturing scene, particularly in the '80s and '90s era when Japan's silicon output was huge, Panasonic was considered one of the main players in the silicon manufacturing business. However, due to some difficulties like operating a business with a loss of over $215 million yearly, and having to compete with Chinese and Taiwanese silicon manufacturing firms, Panasonic is selling its silicon production lines.

The subsidiary of Panasonic called "Semiconductors Solutions" is being sold to Nuvoton Technology Corporation, a semiconductor company that spun-off from Winbond Electronics Corporation in 2008, where Winbond still owns 61% stake in Nuvoton despite the spinoff. Additionally, Panasonic forecasts a 27% drop in operating profit for this physical year, with the declining semiconductor manufacturing business counted. The reasoning behind this sale is that the company plans to exit all declining businesses that also include LCD manufacturing, as Chinese alternative manufacturers are stiff competition for Panasonic when it comes to pricing and panel output.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
How quaint. I though Panasonic ceased to exist and the brand was sold to some chinese conglomerate?

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Better question is why are so many exiting when current player can't fab fast enough to meet demand.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
How quaint. I though Panasonic ceased to exist and the brand was sold to some chinese conglomerate?
Japanese companies rarely if ever sell to China. Just look at Toshiba memory, the Japanese government blocked the Chinese groups that wanted to bid for it.

Better question is why are so many exiting when current player can't fab fast enough to meet demand.
A lot of the Japanese companies seem to be doing poorly right now and are apparently selling off everything that isn't making profit, for better or worse...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

I'm pretty sure Panasonics fabs are old, very big nodes.

Heh, no. Not at all. You are thinking of Sharp I am pretty sure.

It is sad to see Panasonic finally being murdered in LCD land though...

Last edited:
131st on this year's Fortune Global 500.

Dell 84th, Intel 135th.
AMD and Nvidia combined would be too small to get on the list.

It's not like you're expected to know what's happening to all large tech companies..., but sometimes it's just better not to write post like yours...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
AMD and Nvidia combined would be too small to get on the list.

Uh... NVIDIA is rank 250ish something on the list dude. Don't quote me on the exact number, but they are on it and rather high.

EDIT: Meh, global vs nonglobal Fortune 500. nvm. I am dumb.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Japanese companies rarely if ever sell to China. Just look at Toshiba memory, the Japanese government blocked the Chinese groups that wanted to bid for it.

A lot of the Japanese companies seem to be doing poorly right now and are apparently selling off everything that isn't making profit, for better or worse...
Demographics are the cause of a lot of industry stagnation in Japan. Aging populace can't keep up as easily as younger people. Less people making engineers due to extremely low birth rates. Now they are paying people to have babies because of that.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Demographics are the cause of a lot of industry stagnation in Japan. Aging populace can't keep up as easily as younger people. Less people making engineers due to extremely low birth rates. Now they are paying people to have babies because of that.
Sure, that's part of it as well, but look at all the "old" consumer electronics giants, they're all suffering one way or another. Toshiba, Sony, Sharp, etc. they've all sold off large chunks of their businesses as they aren't competitive any more. They don't have the same competitive edge any more and they've been playing it safe for too long as well. This wouldn't be the first time this happens though, as the same has happened in a wide range of industries in other nations over 100's of years. As soon as you're not competitive, you're going to start losing business and unless you become competitive again, you're most likely going to go out of business...

First of all: Japanese companies are doing pretty well.
Second: the so called "child benefit", that you're likely referring to, is fairly common throughout the developed world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_benefit
And they pay you for raising children, not having them. :)

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I agree with "The Lost Swede" back in the day Sony and Panasonic were the kings of consumer electronics but they were different. It was Cassette players, pre-amps, receivers and turntables. Times have changed though and consumer electronics is now just about all computer based (Toshiba got it and SOny is partly to blame with the PS). The young are more apt to have disposable income to spend on pop culture and we consume content totally different today (Netflix, DAZN, DC Universe, Disney+ etc...). I am sure people still have Home Theaters but that is something you get after the computer (most enthusiasts call them HTPC) instead of back in the day when the computer was what you added.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
First of all: Japanese companies are doing pretty well.
Second: the so called "child benefit", that you're likely referring to, is fairly common throughout the developed world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_benefit
And they pay you for raising children, not having them. :)
I think you misunderstand the issues, Japan and also Taiwan, has negative population growth. As such, the Japanese government has an incentive where they pay couples, cold, hard cash, to make babies. Example below. Even Taiwan is considering implementing similar incentives.

I agree with "The Lost Swede" back in the day Sony and Panasonic were the kings of consumer electronics but they were different. It was Cassette players, pre-amps, receivers and turntables. Times have changed though and consumer electronics is now just about all computer based (Toshiba got it and SOny is partly to blame with the PS). The young are more apt to have disposable income to spend on pop culture and we consume content totally different today (Netflix, DAZN, DC Universe, Disney+ etc...). I am sure people still have Home Theaters but that is something you get after the computer (most enthusiasts call them HTPC) instead of back in the day when the computer was what you added.
We're also at a stage where a lot of people want "less stuff" so people limit what they buy in many western countries, which is going to hit some of these companies hard. Other parts of the world hasn't developed as quickly as I think was expected, at least not when it comes to peoples disposable income, so there's only so much market growth. Add to that all the kind integrated devices we have today and it's tough to compete, unless you make some exceptional things. Sony is in my opinion the only really competitive Japanese electronics company today, but at the same time, they're also a fairly pricey, more premium brand.
It's also hard for Japan to compete in terms of price when it comes to Made in Japan products and much of what was one made there is now outsourced to factory in Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam or Malaysia and maybe to some degree, China.
Add to that the immense competition on one end from Samsung and the other end all the various Chinese brands and you're going to end up at a point where quality products might just not be enough to stay competitive.
The Japanese also a knack making "strange" devices, which costs a lot of money, but have limited appeal. How many of you would want this?

I think you misunderstand the issues, Japan and also Taiwan, has negative population growth. As such, the Japanese government has an incentive where they pay couples, cold, hard cash, to make babies. Example below. Even Taiwan is considering implementing similar incentives.
So it's just a particular area, not Japan as a whole. They pay w lump sum for birth. I didn't know about it, but I've heard about similar bonuses in other countries.

In Japan you get ~240 USD monthly for each child under under 16.
So each child will get 46080 USD from the government (possibly more as these benefits usually increase over time). The extra $2800 from the town is nice, but it's not a huge difference in the end.

Again, this is nothing special. Many countries have similar benefits - even those with positive population growth.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

I think the main problem is consolidation and demand for basic resources, and then also in production lines. You see it everywhere and the main reason is a huge surge in demand from not only mobile, but simply from global population growth. We're going to be looking at 10B souls pretty soon of which the greatest growth is in lower income groups, that DO have a demand for electronics (esp mobile). And mobile still requires pretty state of the art production lines, even for lower end models.

There is a mismatch between demand in different income groups and the cost of products for those same groups. Any China company can deliver. Japan has little more to offer but lacks capacity. And on top of that, Japanese companies never catered to these new mass markets, but rather to lower volume, higher end ones.