• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
You know there can't be a Squadron 42 until they hit at least Alpha 99.999. Because scope.
Yeah but it/was supposed to be FIRST until Roberts went full idiot with his grandiose never ending feature creep that’s taken over all the focus or lack thereof. Give me my SQ42 and you can faff around for another decade for all I care with the rest of that nonsense list of “content”

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Yeah but it/was supposed to be FIRST until Roberts went full idiot with his grandiose never ending feature creep that’s taken over all the focus or lack thereof. Give me my SQ42 and you can faff around for another decade for all I care with the rest of that nonsense list of “content”
That would be sane way to do things. That ship has sailed. (And my HOTAS is still waiting for Squadron 42)

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
That would be sane thing to do things. That ship has sailed. (And my HOTAS is still waiting for Squadron 42)
Yeah it’s literally been tossed aside for Roberts ever changing “Grand Vision”:banghead:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I've been saying for years that Cloud Imperium should just finish what they already have and release it. Then continue to expand the game and release those as updates. What Roberts obviously wants to do is release the greatest PC game ever made whenever that can be accomplished. He said he doesn't want to release the game until it's perfect but perfection isn't possible. There will always be something else that could be improved. There are the core fans that are fine with his vision but more than a few are getting pissed that they don't get the finished game by now when they bought a package years and years ago.

Roberts seems to want to keep selling ships, hangar bay decorations, ship weapons and armor upgrades and plots of virtual land to keep the cash rolling in. All of this pulls part of his team off of just finishing the game. Why keep making ships to sell? Because people are spending a lot on them. Cloud Imperium a while back offered a Ship Package for $27,000 that contained every ship in the game. I read recently about one guy that spent $30,000 on ships. That's insane to gamble that much money on a game that might never be finished. On the other hand if he can't keep the cash rolling in then the game is certain to never be finished.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I've been saying for years that Cloud Imperium should just finish what they already have and release it. Then continue to expand the game and release those as updates. What Roberts obviously wants to do is release the greatest PC game ever made whenever that can be accomplished. He said he doesn't want to release the game until it's perfect but perfection isn't possible. There will always be something else that could be improved. There are the core fans that are fine with his vision but more than a few are getting pissed that they don't get the finished game by now when they bought a package years and years ago.

Roberts seems to want to keep selling ships, hangar bay decorations, ship weapons and armor upgrades and plots of virtual land to keep the cash rolling in. All of this pulls part of his team off of just finishing the game. Why keep making ships to sell? Because people are spending a lot on them. Cloud Imperium a while back offered a Ship Package for $27,000 that contained every ship in the game. I read recently about one guy that spent $30,000 on ships. That's insane to gamble that much money on a game that might never be finished. On the other hand if he can't keep the cash rolling in then the game is certain to never be finished.
Yeah considering the most I’ve done with my one ship is walk around it n the hanger and tour the cockpi. “All he Ships Guy” must spend A LOT more time doing that...

Reactions: 64K

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
For a dispassionate expose on Star Citizen, I'd like to know how many people have already 'bought' their copy of SC. I did, way back with a $75 ship purchase. Point being, when it's released, for marketing and profit; how many more people will buy in? If it's already swallowed hundreds of millions, and that investment is prepayment, how can it possibly pull in such a niche crowd? It's an fps space sim. The development model is ingenuous, but the post development sales model is hideously broken. Marketing will cost tens of millions alone. I don't think SC will work as a business, even when it's 'perfect'.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
For a dispassionate expose on Star Citizen, I'd like to know how many people have already 'bought' their copy of SC. I did, way back with a $75 ship purchase. Point being, when it's released, for marketing and profit; how many more people will buy in? If it's already swallowed hundreds of millions, and that investment is prepayment, how can it possibly pull in such a niche crowd? It's an fps space sim. The development model is ingenuous, but the post development sales model is hideously broken. Marketing will cost tens of millions alone. I don't think SC will work as a business, even when it's 'perfect'.

I'm one who never bought a package. I've never pre-ordered and I don't crowd fund. I want to know what I'm paying for before I buy it. I will certainly buy Squadron 42 when it's finished and patched. I will gladly pay full price if the game is as good as I think it will be when finally finished. Now I'm just one person but I have seen numerous people over the years say the same thing. According to the Star Citizen site they claim around 2.4 million Star Citizens. If that represents the number of unique people who have bought a package then my estimate is that Star Citizen will sell several million more copies when complete so if the finished game sells for $60 and sells another 3 million copies then that's another 180 million dollars in revenue. imo they could sell even more than 3 million copies after the game is completed and then there are ships that people will potentially buy, weapon and armor upgrades purchases, insurance, extras and such so who knows how much more revenue Star Citizen could generate when finished.

That is the main reason that I have never considered Star Citizen a scam. There's just too much money yet to be made when completed. When is the million dollar question.

System Name Vaksdal Venom
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 32GB (2x16GB) CL30-38-38-96
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X
Storage WD Black SN750 500GB, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Viewsonic XG2431
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 PSU - 1000 W
Mouse Logitech G703 Hero
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Star Citizen: Is this £200m game becoming too ambitious?
Article from BBC.

Jesus, again? How many outlets chewed on this story now? BBC being fashionably late at it too

Ah nvm what I said :) Its a neutral piece, neat! Title is a tad misleading

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Jesus, again? How many outlets chewed on this story now? BBC being fashionably late at it too

Ah nvm what I said :) Its a neutral piece, neat! Title is a tad misleading
It's actually more positive piece than I thought. If it was neutral they'd interview that derreck guy and/or some confirmed refundees.

On one hand I understand the frustration this game is. Just think about it, how many backers might be dead now before being able to fully play the game.

On the other hand, the scope of this game merits the long cooking time imo. It's basically released but in early access form.
But I kinda don't get the pay2win gripe people have with outright buying ships. In real world, rich people have advantage. Same rules apply here.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's actually more positive piece than I thought. If it was neutral they'd interview that derreck guy and/or some confirmed refundees.

On one hand I understand the frustration this game is. Just think about it, how many backers might be dead now before being able to fully play the game.

On the other hand, the scope of this game merits the long cooking time imo. It's basically released but in early access form.
But I kinda don't get the pay2win gripe people have with outright buying ships. In real world, rich people have advantage. Same rules apply here.

I still say the very first backers on kickstarter, aka me, should be granted like a bonus ship or two for making all this possible when no one ever heard of this game to begin with, and for them lying on when the game would ship. I have been waiting x amount of years now and no end in sight. I deserve some bonus ships.

But just like you said, the real world is corrupt, and so is this game, so eh I doubt that ever happens for me.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Totally agree apart from the p2w aspect, there are ramafications to that and they influence the game experience even for those that have no interest in accruing lots of power or wealth. Its a pitfall many many MMOs have fallen into. Even without P2W there will be lots of asymmetry in the game economy and faction strengths etc. just because people have varying amounts of time to invest in it.

The presence of great asymmetry in faction power and influence may be intentional, but still, introduce a direct monetary conversion into gameplay advantage and what you get is all the filth that belong to power and money; it corrupts, and it makes things a tad too real for many who think their presence in a video game can be a substitute for whatever they lack in the real world; that is what games intend to do, but that is also why any ties with that real world are dangerous, volatile psychology.

I still say the very first backers on kickstarter, aka me, should be granted like a bonus ship or two for making all this possible when no one ever heard of this game to begin with, and for them lying on when the game would ship. I have been waiting x amount of years now and no end in sight. I deserve some bonus ships.

But just like you said, the real world is corrupt, and so is this game, so eh I doubt that ever happens for me.

Not really. Your bonus ships are the same urge to 'cheat' in a multi player environment and the fact they sell them is also paid cheating. Its the axe on the roots of the PU as a fair playground.

The lifetime insurance on its own was bad enough already.

This whole topic comes down to: do you want whales to govern the game economy and progression rate, or would you like it tailored to healthy and sane investments of time? If you want the latter, you should oppose any and all P2W influences. If you support the former, what you will get is yet another bot infested grind and zergfest and rat race plus massive evonomy inflation and a constant race to the next best exploit. And a game that is not immersive, but feels like a rat race.

As a student of philosophy, you cannot possibly miss this..

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Totally agree apart from the p2w aspect, there are ramafications to that and they influence the game experience even for those that have no interest in accruing lots of power or wealth. Its a pitfall many many MMOs have fallen into. Even without P2W there will be lots of asymmetry in the game economy and faction strengths etc. just because people have varying amounts of time to invest in it.

The presence of great asymmetry in faction power and influence may be intentional, but still, introduce a direct monetary conversion into gameplay advantage and what you get is all the filth that belong to power and money; it corrupts, and it makes things a tad too real for many who think their presence in a video game can be a substitute for whatever they lack in the real world; that is what games intend to do, but that is also why any ties with that real world are dangerous, volatile psychology.

Not really. Your bonus ships are the same urge to 'cheat' in a multi player environment and the fact they sell them is also paid cheating. Its the axe on the roots of the PU as a fair playground.

The lifetime insurance on its own was bad enough already.

This whole topic comes down to: do you want whales to govern the game economy and progression rate, or would you like it tailored to healthy and sane investments of time? If you want the latter, you should oppose any and all P2W influences. If you support the former, what you will get is yet another bot infested grind and zergfest and rat race plus massive evonomy inflation and a constant race to the next best exploit. And a game that is not immersive, but feels like a rat race.

As a student of philosophy, you cannot possibly miss this..

Oh I am against P2W models of every kind, I'm just being realistic that the CEO of Roberts Space Industries doesn't give a damn about what me or you think, quite frankly, if I could get my $25 kickstarted investment back from 7 years ago I'd gladly do so. This game has not interested me in the slightest, I tried it once last year and it was so unoptimized... horrible experience on gtx 1070. eh. screw it at this point.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Oh I am against P2W models of every kind, I'm just being realistic that the CEO of Roberts Space Industries doesn't give a damn about what me or you think, quite frankly, if I could get my $25 kickstarted investment back from 7 years ago I'd gladly do so. This game has not interested me in the slightest, I tried it once last year and it was so unoptimized... horrible experience on gtx 1070. eh. screw it at this point.
Like all p2w models in all games, the only time the devs care about it is when the community as a whole starts barking wildly about it and it starts costing the developers profits. It's no surprise thats the CEO's current attitude, he will be that way until he starts losing money when the player base starts to disappear. Look what Archeage was "forced" to do, [sadly] they madescammed enough players to make a non-p2w version.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro

You really should give it another go, they just introduced SOCS(server side object container streaming). I am getting about 60 FPS at 4K on a 2080 ti... it’s still buggy but it’s a lot better than it was....

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
You really should give it another go, they just introduced SOCS(server side object container streaming). I am getting about 60 FPS at 4K on a 2080 ti... it’s still buggy but it’s a lot better than it was....

S42 or Open Worldy kind of stuff?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

That's nice and all, but I literally ran Elite with "high" settings at first on a GTX 580...

Granted, this game is probably prettier than the elite beta.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Doesn't that investment still get you SQ42? I also pledged 35 and it included that, at least.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Doesn't that investment still get you SQ42? I also pledged 35 and it included that, at least.
And by "included" you mean you got about squat so far :D

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I only pledged 25, so I am not sure. I will have to login to my kickstarter and check.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
This is absolutely insane. The one truism for me is that if Star Citizen releases after CP 2077 it will wait even longer for me to play.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is absolutely insane. The one truism for me is that if Star Citizen releases after CP 2077 it will wait even longer for me to play.

even if it is released before then it will not be fully done, they will constantly be polishing and adding stuff. really it's a never ending early access concept of a game. /shrug

but hey, the CEO gets to home to a mansion and a nice mini-yacht from the pictures I seen he lives very very well, so more power to him for being able to scam everyone legally.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
even if it is released before then it will not be fully done, they will constantly be polishing and adding stuff. really it's a never ending early access concept of a game. /shrug

but hey, the CEO gets to home to a mansion and a nice mini-yacht from the pictures I seen he lives very very well, so more power to him for being able to scam everyone legally.

Exactly I am actually surprised (or I think there has been) that a class Action lawsuit has not been filed against Cloud Imperium. How long has it been 10 years? I am not even sure anymore.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Cyberpunk 2077 has been in planning to some degree since 2011 or 2012.