• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 970 strix black screen no signal after gaming for a while

mr_kibone

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_071626.jpg
    IMG_20200114_071626.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_20200114_020853.jpg
    IMG_20200114_020853.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 745
  • IMG_20200114_021025.jpg
    IMG_20200114_021025.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 663
It is a overheating problem. What is going on, for I can fix cards this way that the display quits working, is just like the old Xbox 360s fats, the gpu/cpu solder is crap and pulls away from the board and as your card heats up the chip pulls away and doesnt make contact anymore, causing you to lose display. The fix I been doing for video cards, amd and nvidia, is I use a heatgun and heat the sucker up, making sure its on a flat level surface, and heat it up really good making it flow the solder again, and then cool it down, re paste it, and fixed. Ive been running a AMD RX 580 in my sons pc for a while now with no more issues and gets used every day for hours. Last one I fixed was a GTX 970 with it coming on, no display, fans spin, heated it up with my gun, and it fixed it as well. I used to fix 360's back in the day with the x-clamp and my heat gun with almost 100% success, though some just didnt like to re-flow no matter what.

And yes I know there is a way to do it with the oven, but I dont like to have to buy a seperate toaster over to do it with, and then have to remove all of the plastic bits as well to do it that way, and Ive been doing so long with my gun I havent come into a problem, well I shouldnt say that for I did it to the Onkyo TX NR809 that has the same problem with its DTS chip desoldering from the board, heated it up the first time, lasted about a month, then redid it, but like a idiot, wasnt thinking right :p, while hot and still liquid I touched the chip causing all the solder balls to squish and now need to get a new board for it :) :p :p

But if you have means to a heat gun, give it a try and should fix it for you.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
Could also be the psu, not one of their good units iirc.
Any chance you can swap for a different psu just to exclude it?

mr_kibone

It is a overheating problem. What is going on, for I can fix cards this way that the display quits working, is just like the old Xbox 360s fats, the gpu/cpu solder is crap and pulls away from the board and as your card heats up the chip pulls away and doesnt make contact anymore, causing you to lose display. The fix I been doing for video cards, amd and nvidia, is I use a heatgun and heat the sucker up, making sure its on a flat level surface, and heat it up really good making it flow the solder again, and then cool it down, re paste it, and fixed. Ive been running a AMD RX 580 in my sons pc for a while now with no more issues and gets used every day for hours. Last one I fixed was a GTX 970 with it coming on, no display, fans spin, heated it up with my gun, and it fixed it as well. I used to fix 360's back in the day with the x-clamp and my heat gun with almost 100% success, though some just didnt like to re-flow no matter what.

And yes I know there is a way to do it with the oven, but I dont like to have to buy a seperate toaster over to do it with, and then have to remove all of the plastic bits as well to do it that way, and Ive been doing so long with my gun I havent come into a problem, well I shouldnt say that for I did it to the Onkyo TX NR809 that has the same problem with its DTS chip desoldering from the board, heated it up the first time, lasted about a month, then redid it, but like a idiot, wasnt thinking right :p, while hot and still liquid I touched the chip causing all the solder balls to squish and now need to get a new board for it :) :p :p

Yea i might give that a try

Could also be the psu, not one of their good units iirc.
Any chance you can swap for a different psu just to exclude it?

I only have that one and a 240v one

But I don’t really think that’s it I tried to put the fans on 100% and it happend at 40c so I don’t know

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
1st think i would do is clean install drivers, try different display port or monitor, almost fixed this random sudent blackscreen under high load gpus

2nd can be bios error reset the bios to factory setup might help

3rd could be loss of power, yes you need spare of psu to test it

last is well i hope your cards isnt failure like mine pulse 56, it looks normal, no temp issue (barely hit 60c), no artefact, or any error issue, but it having similiar problem like yours, i get random blackscreen after 5-10minute, sometimes even worse, it will los signal on idle/bios mode, i think the hardware might be broken, i suspect the gpu board capasitor or display port, anyway i refund the card hehe:p

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
No bios setting will cause screen probs. Crash etc, yes, but not a black screen,
especially if user didnt change anything.

Clean install of OS and latest driver (for the gpu) might be a good idea,
maybe even try a different moni cable, as it might be part if the issue, and if you have multiple ports on moni, swap that to, same for gpu.
This way its easier to exclude what could be the cause.

No friend/family that has a pc that you can use their psu to just try tosee if thats causing it?

Last edited:

mr_kibone

No bios setting will cause screen probs. Crash etc, yes, but not a black screen,
especially if user didnt change anything.

Clean install of OS and latest driver (for the gpu) might be a good idea,
maybe even try a different moni cable, as it might be part if the issue, and if you have multiple ports on moni, swap that to, same for gpu.
This way its easier to exclude what could be the cause.

No friend/family that has a pc that you can use their psu to just try tosee if thats causing it?
I can ask someone if they can try it in their pc but I am not sure

1st think i would do is clean install drivers, try different display port or monitor, almost fixed this random sudent blackscreen under high load gpus

2nd can be bios error reset the bios to factory setup might help

3rd could be loss of power, yes you need spare of psu to test it

last is well i hope your cards isnt failure like mine pulse 56, it looks normal, no temp issue (barely hit 60c), no artefact, or any error issue, but it having similiar problem like yours, i get random blackscreen after 5-10minute, sometimes even worse, it will los signal on idle/bios mode, i think the hardware might be broken, i suspect the gpu board capasitor or display port, anyway i refund the card hehe:p
This is the exact same problem in this video

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Heatguns tend to fry ICs.

Id replace the card and press on. GTX970s were very prone to hardware failts, same with 980s

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Yeah, good idea, test the card in a different pc, that will eliminate any other possibilities.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
There is no boot issue, so need to check those, and even old drivers don't cause drop of signal while in use, as long as it works for a while..

mr_kibone

There is no boot issue, so need to check those, and even old drivers don't cause drop of signal while in use, as long as it works for a while..
it works untill i do anything gpu intensive

When you turn on the computer, have you heard all the fans running? Could you get into BIOS by constantly pressing the 'DELETE' key? Have you uninstalled all old drivers if there were any?
i have tried that

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Heatguns tend to fry ICs.

Id replace the card and press on. GTX970s were very prone to hardware failts, same with 980s

Yup, how ever they are safe guards you can take, like using kapton tape and Aluminum foil take which you use to take the heat away from sensitive parts, trick is you leave the paper on the foil tape as then you do not have to deal with tape residue.

How ever it should be only seen as a short time fix as you never know how long it's going last or even work in some cases. So might only want to try it if you have the items already.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The fix I been doing for video cards, amd and nvidia, is I use a heatgun and heat the sucker up, making sure its on a flat level surface, and heat it up really good making it flow the solder again, and then cool it down, re paste it, and fixed. Ive been running a AMD RX 580 in my sons pc for a while now with no more issues and gets used every day for hours. Last one I fixed was a GTX 970 with it coming on, no display, fans spin, heated it up with my gun, and it fixed it as well. I used to fix 360's back in the day with the x-clamp and my heat gun with almost 100% success, though some just didnt like to re-flow no matter what.

You tried reflow without flux?

Last edited:

mr_kibone

Nope but i think I know what was going on i was watching an Linus tech tips video and he talked about vram degradation so i tried to under clock my ram and it started working again

Actually, my sons 1070 he is using I bought several years ago for $50 off ebay that the fans spun, but that was it. I sat at my desk with my hear gun and heated the crap out of it, let it cool for several hours, pulled the heatsink off, redid the thermal paste on it, and has been working for almost 3 years now without a single problem at all. Yeah yeah, plastic and all that crap, but it got me wondering about the oven fix I have heard of, and that linus did on his youtube video, and got me thinking that if all that stuff did not just go off and melt, if I heat it up, in the spots I want with my heat gun and keep away from all the bits, and focus just on the chip, and did, it worked. I have also fixed 3 AMD 580's this way that the fans spun and had no video. If I ever get/buy another one, which I will once all this funky stuff stops and prices come back to earth.

mr_kibone

bit of an update i installed widows 11 and i dont have tu underclock the ram anymore i could even overclock it a bit no clue why it started working again after updating windows but thats great for me:)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
bit of an update i installed widows 11 and i dont have tu underclock the ram anymore i could even overclock it a bit no clue why it started working again after updating windows but thats great for me:)
Probably weak solder joints

Id put the card to the side for repair and buy a new card.

mr_kibone

Probably weak solder joints

Id put the card to the side for repair and buy a new card.
dont really have the money for that right cant find any Graphics card at good prices in my area still happy with my 970
but when i find a deal on a 2060 i will probably buy that

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
dont really have the money for that right cant find any Graphics card at good prices in my area still happy with my 970
but when i find a deal on a 2060 i will probably buy that
Start saving, also green eyes aint the only cards in town.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
View attachment 234592too bad the 2060 goes for around 500 usd in sweden

true true i dont have the best knowledge about amd cards but what is a good upgrade from a 970
Upgrades from oldest to newest (give me time to list them all)

Radeon R9 Fury, Fury X

RX 580, 590, Vega 56/64

Radeon Pro VII,

RX 5600/XT, 5700/XT, 6600/XT, 6700/XT, 6800/XT, 6900/XT

Last edited: