• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptops - what does the industry need to fix?

What is lacking in the laptop industry?

• 15" is cute, I don't do cute

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • I don't want [AMD][Intel][Nvidia] components

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Not enough RAM by default (potential upgrade nightmares)

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No or Tiny SSD (potential upgrade nightmares)

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Poorly thought out keyboard layouts

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Limited BIOS/UEFI

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Limited IO (Not enough ports, no desired port combo, etc)

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Lack of professional features (8/10 bit screens, RAID, other miscellaneous)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • High prices for the specifications

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Other (having to buy through third parties, heat issues, warranty nonsense, LED issues, etc)

Votes: 36 48.6%

• Total voters

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Still, localization is important. Few years ago manufacturers/brands paid more attention for such things. Now they only pay attention for their own profit. Today I can find a very few laptops with proper (localized) key mapping and the same thing goes for backlit PC keyboards. What overwhelming majority of manufacturers/brands do today is an perfect example of an extremely rude business practice and total disrespect for the customers and I'm not OK with that. If you up there in the north are used to that - well... shame on you.

Second, it's not exactly a small market. Combined population of Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Bosnia, North Macedonia, Montenegro is over 21 million if we don't count 5+ million who work abroad - that's for the ŠĐČĆŽ letters. We also use QWERTZ layout which is the most common in the EU, so it really pisses me off when I see QWERTY laptops or keyboards over here.

The thing is that localization doesn't cost much, but manufacturers/brands are so cheap that they remind me of some car manufacturer (I think it was Ford) where they refused to correct a serious safety mistake for as little as 1$ per vehicle and rather decided to pay-out to victims who had a car accident with their cars. I read somewhere about that story long time ago, so I don't remember the exact details. The conclusion is the same - profit, profit and profit. Customers? Sc**w the customers!

For example this is a properly localized backlit laptop keyboard suitable for Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Bosnia, North Macedonia, Montenegro (old photo, my Dell laptop) - it doesn't have numpad, but that's of far less importance on a 15.6" laptop:
View attachment 142551
I don't actually live "up in the north", but ok.

21 million is a tiny, tiny, tiny market, just like the Nordics or the little island I live on now where a lot of these things are still made, or at least where the makers HQ's are based.
Any market under 100 million is tiny, sorry to burst your bubble, but that's how these companies think.
I doubt most of the laptop makers sell more than a 10 or 20,000 notebooks of each model in your market, so it's simply not worth the investment to them, right or wrong.

In fact, I've been having a look at getting a new laptop and here you only get US ANSI layout with additional characters for the locals and I don't want that, so I've had a look back home, which is a market with rather high buying power, yet it seems to be a very poor selection of available notebooks and part of that is likely down to customization, as these companies don't want to offer too many SKUs, as it just adds cost to them. It's the same situation most model aren't likely to sell more than 10 or 20k units.

QWERTY is by far the most common layout in the EU, again, don't confuse ANSI with ISO layout. Please see attached map.

Green is QWERTY
Orange is QWERTZ
Blue is AZERTY
Yellow is special stuff and Grey is non latin.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ and you can compare with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY

Are you in the computer manufacturing industry? I don't think so from you lack of knowledge. I am and I happened to meet up with the founder of Wooting, which is a keyboard company and had a chat with him about keyboards. Turns out, it's really quite expensive to make keyboard key caps if you want something that isn't standardised. Also, injection moulds for plastic costs quite a bit. Based on projects I've worked on, a mould for a full set of keys for a keyboard, at least if you're talking the kind that is used with back-lit keys, you're looking at something like US$40-50,000. Obviously you make a mould so you can make the extra keys for additional languages, but if you look at the Wikipedia links above, you'll soon see that there's an insane amount of variations on some of the keys on a keyboard, so at some point the devices makers are going to have to make a trade-off, regardless of how it makes us consumers feel. This is why I'm using a "Nordic" keyboard, rather than a Swedish one.

Technically, we both have the same problems, our languages have letters that aren't easily typeable without a customised keyboard. However, this means that we're also going to have to live with the fact that there's either a reduced range of products available, or we're going to have to suffer with a different keyboard layout. I can in fact type just fine on a British ISO keyboard, I just need to remember that I've switched language on and that some things are located in a different position. For example, the brackets () are shifted one key to the right using a British keyboard. Not sure if the same would be true for you using, say a German or Polish keyboard.

Back in the days when I worked as a tech journalist in the UK, someone at the Register went to CES and used one of the computers in the press centre to write an article. He was a touch typist and didn't notice he was using a QWERTZ keyboard, rather than a QWERTY keyboard, so all his Y's were Z's in the story, which he somehow didn't even read through before sending off for publishing. His editor thought it was so funny that they published the story as he'd written it...

I guess this is way off topic now and I'm not sure it's the biggest issue with modern laptops, but yes, it can be really frustrating to use a computer with a keyboard layout you don't like. I have similar feelings for ANSI keyboards, as I can't type Swedish on those in a sensible way, as ANSI keyboards are a couple of keys short compared to ISO keyboards, which makes it impossible to figure out how to type certain things.

Oh and be glad you don't write traditional Chinese.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I disagree, at least for Enterprise class laptops, I don't want users taking ram or SSD's, screws deter them, more than an a tool less design would.
I think once the lids off I'm with you but I would want some screws for security's sake in the lid, personally.
Nah! Security? LOL Do you have people stealing RAM and SSDs out of PCs and notebooks now?

We are not talking about stealing pens out of the office supply cabinet. If one of my employees steals RAM or SSDs out of one of my company's notebooks, they'll be fired on the spot - and perhaps turned over to the police!

A few screws are not going to stop anyone who has bad intentions - not to mention on many notebooks, the drives and RAM are accessible via access covers.

And are we really talking about "enterprise" class laptops? Or personal laptops?

Screws, like padlocks, just keep honest people honest. So do company policies. When I was in the Air Force, when I worked in the private sector, when I had my own business EVERYBODY knew from day 1, stealing from the company was wrong, and a punishable offense.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Nah! Security? LOL Do you have people stealing RAM and SSDs out of PCs and notebooks now?

We are not talking about stealing pens out of the office supply cabinet. If one of my employees steals RAM or SSDs out of one of my company's notebooks, they'll be fired on the spot - and perhaps turned over to the police!

A few screws are not going to stop anyone who has bad intentions - not to mention on many notebooks, the drives and RAM are accessible via access covers.

And are we really talking about "enterprise" class laptops? Or personal laptops?

Screws, like padlocks, just keep honest people honest. So do company policies. When I was in the Air Force, when I worked in the private sector, when I had my own business EVERYBODY knew from day 1, stealing from the company was wrong, and a punishable offense.

It's a deterrent, a deterrent keeps honest people honest, and yes I've seen it plenty of times

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Speaking personally of a personal laptop, Generally if i had a corporate laptop i wouldn't give the slightest shit besides keeping it conventionally safe if you know what I mean.
Your right though, i do agree on all your points but I would feel better knowing a personal laptop needed a margin of effort to get into.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It's a deterrent, a deterrent keeps honest people honest
So is the threat of being fired!
and yes I've seen it plenty of times
If you have seen it plenty of times, then some managers' heads need to roll. This is not rocket science. Stealing company assets is a crime that directly hurts the bottom line.

During my almost 50 year career in IS/IT support, I've been a total newbie trainee, to trainer, to team lead, to supervisor, to senior engineer, to manager, to company owner. At no point along the way did I think stealing from the company was right and at no point did I not know, as company policy, that it was wrong and that consequences would ensue if assets under my watch went missing.

When I was in charge of mobile IT assets (notebooks, pagers, cell phones, etc.), employees had to sign for those assets, by signing the inventory of those assets. Office assets were signed for by that office manager. If they were returned (or annual inventories revealed) missing RAM or SSDs, someone had some "splainin'" to do.

As a technician, I want easy access to the innards - not just for easier repairs, but for proper "preventative maintenance" like cleaning. Many, if not most PC cases are tool-less - with thumbscrews to remove side panels. I see no reason a notebook cannot have a recessed lever on a sliding back cover for easy access too. I hate it when it takes a special tool.

IF we were talking about keeping users out of harm's way (from deadly voltages, for example), then physical measures to restrict or block access would make sense. But that's not the case here (except inside a PC PSU).

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
So is the threat of being fired!
If you have seen it plenty of times, then some managers' heads need to roll. This is not rocket science. Stealing company assets is a crime that directly hurts the bottom line.

During my almost 50 year career in IS/IT support, I've been a total newbie trainee, to trainer, to team lead, to supervisor, to senior engineer, to manager, to company owner. At no point along the way did I think stealing from the company was right and at no point did I not know, as company policy, that it was wrong and that consequences would ensue if assets under my watch went missing.

When I was in charge of mobile IT assets (notebooks, pagers, cell phones, etc.), employees had to sign for those assets, by signing the inventory of those assets. Office assets were signed for by that office manager. If they were returned (or annual inventories revealed) missing RAM or SSDs, someone had some "splainin'" to do.

As a technician, I want easy access to the innards - not just for easier repairs, but for proper "preventative maintenance" like cleaning. Many, if not most PC cases are tool-less - with thumbscrews to remove side panels. I see no reason a notebook cannot have a recessed lever on a sliding back cover for easy access too. I hate it when it takes a special tool.

IF we were talking about keeping users out of harm's way (from deadly voltages, for example), then physical measures to restrict or block access would make sense. But that's not the case here (except inside a PC PSU).

It happens, I saw it plenty working for a university I'd get a call that a system isn't work come to find out it's missing ram, but it's been sitting on their desk and never goes home. I see it more in desktops right now because they are easier to access and someone can find an unattended unit and grab ram or hdd in 30 seconds. I'm a big fan of now putting a heavy duty ziptie on the case where you'd put the Kensington lock to deter quick thefts and it works.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
they need cooling !
baby I'm not fooling

I wonder if plugging a laptop into a stationary liquid cooling station can ever happen.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It happens,
I never suggested it doesn't or can't happen. Workplace theft happens all the time. What I am saying is if someone is intent on stealing RAM or a SSD, 4 little screws are not going to stop them.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
I never suggested it doesn't or can't happen. Workplace theft happens all the time. What I am saying is if someone is intent on stealing RAM or a SSD, 4 little screws are not going to stop them.

Yes but after I put zipties, instead of loosing 8-10 4gb sticks of ddr3 every month we dropped to 1-2 every 6 months, one little deterrent made a difference

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Cooling is the biggest problem, then lan ports being removed, no video outs, not enough usb ports. 32GB SSDs need to be 100GB minimum. Winblows 10...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yes but after I put zipties, instead of loosing 8-10 4gb sticks of ddr3 every month we dropped to 1-2 every 6 months, one little deterrent made a difference
Well, I still think you just put a band-aid on a festering wound. The real problem in your organization is management. A couple highly publicized firings due to theft of company property would have taken care of that long ago. Your people need to be signing for these notebooks and be held responsible. And it is your manager and their managers that need to be setting that policy and enforcing it. Not you.

We had a $500 Tektronix oscilloscope disappear once. It was discovered for sell at a flea market. The threat of jail time turned the flea market vendor into a canary and so our employee was in jail - and out of a job.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
they need cooling !
baby I'm not fooling

I wonder if plugging a laptop into a stationary liquid cooling station can ever happen.

Did Asus not make like a GX700 with watercooling....someone modded it....something?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro

I remember when Toshiba laptops had 174 screws. So 4 or 6 to get the lid off would be fine. I hate the sound of plastic snap retainers

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I remember when Toshiba laptops had 174 screws. So 4 or 6 to get the lid off would be fine. I hate the sound of plastic snap retainers
LOL Yeah, my Toshiba has 8 - that's about 8 too many. Oh, I forgot. Those screws are there so I don't steal my own RAM. :rolleyes: :kookoo:

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
54% Other, the poll shows you missed the mark

Is this an inference that I should apologize for not being an all-knowing god? On an unrelated note your avatar fits your post well.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
One and only warning to all. Stop with the bait and snide comments towards each other.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
A decent touch pad! All the modern touch pads I have used in modern laptops just suck! The best one I have ever used is this one im on now from a 2008 Compaq Presario CQ60 it just puts them all to shame its so good!

Also more powerful smaller size laptops like 12" laptops with the new 4000 series APU's would be amazing!

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
This might be interesting to some of you in this thread.

A decent touch pad! All the modern touch pads I have used in modern laptops just suck! The best one I have ever used is this one im on now from a 2008 Compaq Presario CQ60 it just puts them all to shame its so good!

Also more powerful smaller size laptops like 12" laptops with the new 4000 series APU's would be amazing!
Maybe this is for you? :p

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
1. All laptop must come with Dual-Channel RAM.
2. At least 128GB SSD
3. No unnecessary dGPU, like MX130/230/Radeon 535/520 with Ryzen 5/7 laptop or new Ice Lake Laptop.

Last edited:
System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
1. All laptop must come with Dual-Channel RAM.
2. At least 128GB SSD
3. No unnecessary dGPU, like MX130/230/Radeon 535/520 with Ryzen 5/7 laptop or new Ice Lake Laptop.
This reminds me of my first pc from 2003, it had 120GB hdd. Now we have 2020 and people demand 128GB storage drives in their PCs. WTF has happened, i can't even call it stagnation or moving backwards, this just makes no sense to me and is as illogical as it can be.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
2. At least 128GB SSD
You don't install any software on your computers? I'd say at least 250GB these days, as you can't fill up an SSD to the brim or it grinds to a halt.

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
You don't install any software on your computers? I'd say at least 250GB these days, as you can't fill up an SSD to the brim or it grinds to a halt.
Also let's not forget about ssds slowing down significantly when they are filled over, how much? 70%?

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
This reminds me of my first pc from 2003, it had 120GB hdd. Now we have 2020 and people demand 128GB storage drives in their PCs. WTF has happened, i can't even call it stagnation or moving backwards, this just makes no sense to me and is as illogical as it can be.
128GB dont sound like that much of storage but better than 5400RPM HDD. 256GB SSD is too much for Laptop manufacture.

128GB is enough if you do not have many media files. On my 128GB SSD there is 40GB free with VS2019 Community, 4 launcher, 2games, 4 browser, both MS offiece+ LibreOffice. Though 256GB would be better.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
The laptop I want:
  • 17" or larger.
  • 1920x1080 minimal screen resolution though 4K on a 17" screen is pointless.
  • 16GB of RAM minimally (and no oddball RAM pairings like 16GB and an 8GB dimm).
  • 1TB NVMe drive by default though it would be nice to have a BIOS/UEFI level lock that can eject the NVMe drives like floppies.
  • Three NVMe drives with RAID support would not be too much of a stretch on a professional laptop.
  • Easy access to replace drives, dimms and wireless-whatever.
  • AMD only, giving money to Intel or Nvidia is a literal approval of their unethical corporate malpractices.
  • The ability to have all the specs with or without a dedicated GPU.
  • The ability to have a high/low end CPU without some other parts automatically changing.
  • Dedicated macro keys (Logitech G110 on a laptop but with mechanical keys would be a dream).
  • Decent all-copper cooling.
  • Decent clearance on the bottom for solid surfaces for the ventilation to "breath".
  • Any extra pound or two won't kill most people but thickness isn't a big deal; usability is always going to be an absolute win over showing off a "thin-book".
  • Ports that say, "We realize most people are right handed, so we put the ports on the left side" - sorry lefties.
  • USB C ports!
  • 8 core though we're finally getting that this year thanks to AMD.
  • UEFI that is decent, it doesn't need to be from a decked out $900 desktop motherboard but laptop options are pointlessly limited.
  • LED backlit keyboard through the letters (not around the sides of the keys). This is functionally desirable and special LED options beyond color aren't necessary.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
128GB dont sound like that much of storage but better than 5400RPM HDD. 256GB SSD is too much for Laptop manufacture.

128GB is enough if you do not have many media files. On my 128GB SSD there is 40GB free with VS2019 Community, 4 launcher, 2games, 4 browser, both MS offiece+ LibreOffice. Though 256GB would be better.
Have you looked at what SSDs cost? I can buy a 250GB retail drive for $30 or so. 120GB drives are barley available any more. A company like HP, Dell, Lenevo or even Asus, would pay less than that. So no, it's not too costly.
Bump it up $10 and you get a half decent NVMe drive.

The laptop I want:
  • 17" or larger.
  • 1920x1080 minimal screen resolution though 4K on a 17" screen is pointless.
  • 16GB of RAM minimally (and no oddball RAM pairings like 16GB and an 8GB dimm).
  • 1TB NVMe drive by default though it would be nice to have a BIOS/UEFI level lock that can eject the NVMe drives like floppies.
  • Three NVMe drives with RAID support would not be too much of a stretch on a professional laptop.
  • Easy access to replace drives, dimms and wireless-whatever.
  • AMD only, giving money to Intel or Nvidia is a literal approval of their unethical corporate malpractices.
  • The ability to have all the specs with or without a dedicated GPU.
  • The ability to have a high/low end CPU without some other parts automatically changing.
  • Dedicated macro keys (Logitech G110 on a laptop but with mechanical keys would be a dream).
  • Decent all-copper cooling.
  • Decent clearance on the bottom for solid surfaces for the ventilation to "breath".
  • Any extra pound or two won't kill most people but thickness isn't a big deal; usability is always going to be an absolute win over showing off a "thin-book".
  • Ports that say, "We realize most people are right handed, so we put the ports on the left side" - sorry lefties.
  • USB C ports!
  • 8 core though we're finally getting that this year thanks to AMD.
  • UEFI that is decent, it doesn't need to be from a decked out $900 desktop motherboard but laptop options are pointlessly limited.
  • LED backlit keyboard through the letters (not around the sides of the keys). This is functionally desirable and special LED options beyond color aren't necessary.
Minimum, not minimally ;)

USB-C is nice and all, but so many companies only add one port and it only does 10 Gbps at best, has no display support and only offers 5V/1A power... This is not how to implement USB-C on a modern notebook.
There should be at least two ports, of which one should be able to charge the laptop, even if it's at a reduced charging rate. Both should support DP alt mode and ideally 20Gbps data rate, pending chipset support. Both should also support 12V/2A power output as a minimum.
Maybe I'm asking for too much, but as laptop manufacturers seem to want to get rid of more and more ports, this is a must. A half arsed implementation isn't helpful to anyone.

Last edited: