• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

my audiophile system.

A and B if your reciver can do this, is set up so yes you can run them as a set in the front if you want to hook different types of speakers to your system to get a much fuller frequency response, for I run 2 subs in my main Onkyo system and have one, a Polk 12", and my Bic PL 200 knob set all the way to the max for the deeper stuff since it gets really really low and loud, to fill up what my bic 8" set cannot get low enough to do. But back to the reciever, if you dont run different sets on the b side, there should be a setting to do zone 2/3/4 etc, and run wires and speakers to different parts of your room to run the audio from your set up to them without having to blast it in one room to hear it in another. Also most "newer" amps have 2 subs that can be used also for doing the same to run a sub in the other room, or for what I do, or needed sometimes, if I read right, Atmos uses it in the Atmos setting.

My system consits of a Acoustic Image GT 338 I use at a center I got at goodwill for $6, BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower for front sides, a Polk Audio PSW505 sub (crossover set to 100HZ), and a bic acoustech PL200 (set to its lowest range), with a pair of BIC Acoustech PL-66 Surround Speakers all set up to a Onkyo TX RZ810 for $250 from Onkyo due to my TX NR809 died due to the recalled DTS chip going bad, so I was able to just send them the serial sticker off the back of it and got that one for the $250 shipped. I know it does Atmos but at some point with my tax money Id like to get a totally matching set of https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Acoustec...?keywords=bic+speakers&qid=1579537352&sr=8-35 and then I can use my set in Atmos mode.

My PC rig is a Denon AVR 2808CI, a set of vintage JVC towers, SP 95WD, a Onkyo center I got off shopgoodwill.com for $3, A onkyo sub, I got from Goodwill for $35, that some mice decided to eat away the foam surrounds of the speaker that I replaced with a JVC 10" for free with cracked medium I fixed with super glue, silicone goo, and packing tape and has held up for over 3 years with being beat on a daily basis, and a set of Daytons I got off of Bargain Hunt for $20.

But op I can tell you that if you really want to make it sound great, you need to run all the same speakers makes (do as I say not as I do for the moment, only due to me having very limited funds on SS and only time I got good money to use for high ticket items is at tax time), for the bic line I mentioned has all the same speakers in them so that if your watching movie and a plane on it for example, doesnt sound like a toy model behind you then becomes a full on jet liner in front of you. Id suggest also if you can run two subs, can be same or different, IMO, so that you can adjust them with the crossovers in the back to hit that sweet spot with the bass, for running just one in the lowest setting can miss out on the mids, from what I can tell with my ears, but running 2 of them adjust one at like 100HZ and max out the other to its lowest. Also if you dont want to kill your amp you dont want to just shove the wires in the banana jacks, need to either screw them all in or get banana jacks for them and do it that way for your introducing resistance to the amp without them getting a secure tight connection, And on the subject of not blowing amps you should also run the same length wires to all your speakers and the same gauge as well, so that way the resistance from your wires coming from the amp is equal and wont stress it as much due to resistance being off going to all your speakers.

Last edited:

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
This again, lol...Soooooooooooo, are you running 7.1 surround or stereo? Stereo is, by definition, two distinct channels of audio (you can have more speakers, but just saying). When you say 7.1 that explicitly means 7 distinct channels plus the subwoofer. Which is it?

Every person's room is different. So just generically stating to stuff a sub behind a sofa is "amazing" just may not be an improvement for others. If I did that, I would lose bass response as currently mine sits in a corner...and the couch doesn't have a wall behind it. Each room has its own acoustic properties and each person has their own preference on how they want their equipment to sound.
WOW okay here maybe this explain things.

First ..

IMG-2222.JPG

UNLESS I AM MISSING SOMETHING OR HAVE SOME HOW MISS READ THIS THEN WTF!
WTF IS this just 2 channel stereo too? I mean..........

And I also SAID IF YOU ARE ABLE to do this TRY IT!
And YES it is AMAZING!
Don't be a jelly hater man I know my system is a total AUDIOPHILE DREAM!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
What I believe your receiver is doing is sending the stereo signal (L/R) to all seven speakers (maybe check the manual and confirm?). In order to have distinct channels you need to be running in one of the surround modes... pro logic, 5.1, etc. I have no idea how that 7ch stereo mode divides things up as in what signal (L or R) is going to which speakers. You should be able to find a sound test that sweeps from L to R (your receiver may have a noise generator/tone function, note) to see which speakers are on, what. I have to imagine though that it sets it up properly as it knows what speaker outputs are active.

I believe someone else also mentioned before when you were on about this stereo thing is that just because all the speakers are louder doesn't mean it sounds better. Surround sound has distinct channels with audio specific to each to give you that feeling you are IN what you are watching. So if you are listening to movies and tracks that have surround encoded in them, it is best to use it that way. Generally, audiophiles don't eschew from using the proper soundtracks and coding. If it is stereo, 7ch is cool, but I find I like a more proper sound stage with just two properly spaced and tuned speakers. As I said earlier, 7ch stereo just reminds me of things I used to do back in college for more noise when partying, but if you like it, you like it! :)

If I was you, I would look in to some guides for setting things up and working it in your room as it fits. The shotgun method can be a fun process, but knowing some tips and tricks along with what you learned from your room acoustics in trial and error, can prove invaluable to setting things up as an 'audiophile' would. It just seems to me you believe you are getting true surround sound in that 7ch stereo mode, but that isn't how it works. :)

Don't be a jelly hater man I know my system is a total AUDIOPHILE DREAM!
lol, you don't even know......I'm really just trying to share what I learned over the decades (and learn from others who posted in here as well who seem even more knowledgeable).

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
What I believe your receiver is doing is sending the stereo signal (L/R) to all seven speakers (maybe check the manual and confirm?). In order to have distinct channels you need to be running in one of the surround modes... pro logic, 5.1, etc. I have no idea how that 7ch stereo mode divides things up as in what signal (L or R) is going to which speakers. You should be able to find a sound test that sweeps from L to R (your receiver may have a noise generator/tone function, note) to see which speakers are on, what. I have to imagine though that it sets it up properly as it knows what speaker outputs are active.

I believe someone else also mentioned before when you were on about this stereo thing is that just because all the speakers are louder doesn't mean it sounds better. Surround sound has distinct channels with audio specific to each to give you that feeling you are IN what you are watching. So if you are listening to movies and tracks that have surround encoded in them, it is best to use it that way. Generally, audiophiles don't eschew from using the proper soundtracks and coding. If it is stereo, 7ch is cool, but I find I like a more proper sound stage with just two properly spaced and tuned speakers. As I said earlier, 7ch stereo just reminds me of things I used to do back in college for more noise when partying, but if you like it, you like it! :)

If I was you, I would look in to some guides for setting things up and working it in your room as it fits. The shotgun method can be a fun process, but knowing some tips and tricks along with what you learned from your room acoustics in trial and error, can prove invaluable to setting things up as an 'audiophile' would. It just seems to me you believe you are getting true surround sound in that 7ch stereo mode, but that isn't how it works. :)

lol, you don't even know......I'm really just trying to share what I learned over the decades (and learn from others who posted in here as well who seem even more knowledgeable).
LOL. I am doing all kinds of "new" things , Experimenting with my new Klipsch RF series Speakers and my fixed sub, It's fun.
Mostly all I know is what I am reading and what I am trying out, If it works and makes better sound for me then I want to share that.
All I can tell you is what I am hearing out of my system. You can argue wires and length and speaker placement and all that and yes that does help. I have improved with re-arrangement and testing the speakers at different locations in the room. I am finding the best spots for each one it takes time. And lots of testing not to mention looking at tons of room configurations online about speaker placement.
I never thought of putting the sub behind the sofa and well heard about it online (LIKE EVERYONE DOES) tried it out and I am AMAZED!
Loudness is just 90% of my goal :rockout:.

So I thank you for your insight and knowledge I am trying it all out where I can if I can.
Thank You. :respect:

Also I was being sarcastic when I said that jelly thing.

In the setting where you see that 7.1 is where you should be also able to see what I mentioned about the "zone" thing, for in that setting on my Denon I get 7.1/2ch/Front B Bi Amp/Front A Bi Amp/Zone 2-3 mono/Zone 3/Zone 2 as my settings with in there. If I want to listen to say my music streamed Ill set my receiver to DTS Neo Cinema, if in stereo, I set it to pure direct or just direct. If I want the center to be more "specious" Id set the am p in setting from Cinema to Music, not sure if that your amp without reading your manual will do that but both my Denon 2808CI and my "newer" Denon AVR S530BT in my bedroom pretty much using the same interface, though my older unit has much more features.

Also if you can do this for it makes my old vintage JVC speakers come to life little more when really listening to my MP3's is in Parameter is where you can set it to cinema or music, if you did or did not, set cinema eq to off, unless you used the mic to set it all up, which I dont, been doing amps and home theater for over 35 years and like to do it all myself and the times I did use the mic I just did not like what it set my amp up to be "right". Should also be able to, depending on source, set sound to low, med, high, and HQ. I set mine to HQ for I like myself what it does to the sound coming out of my old set. Also, if your not running full 7.1, front, center, sides, and rears, set it in that menu to turn off your SB's and run them speakers to your sides of your listening spot. There really isnt much out there unless your doing true 7.1 to make use of the back, and then the amp will use its software to simulate the rears, but look on your screen for it should tell you what its picking up and dishing out, and if you dont see in the input the SB icons, then I wouldnt really worry to much about setting up to push out in 7.1 and just use 5.1. Again this is my likeness, and how I run my Denon and sound. But in sound parameter you can turn the SB's on and off according to what you are watching, for without using dedicaded rears when it uses its software your missing out on some sounds that it would make out of those speakers that could of been sent to the sides instead of getting dead sound that isnt there, if you like to hear the room filled with music from all speakers without using stereo 7.1 where it just pumps all the same stuff to all the speakers.

IDK if this will help you, but if you need more help lmk what it is your trying to do and Ill look at your manual to see exactly what it does and help you if need be to set it up.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Can I just chime in to say I absolutely love the liberal use of audiophile in this topic. Its almost like reading a parody, brilliant :D

LOL. I am doing all kinds of "new" things , Experimenting with my new Klipsch RF series Speakers and my fixed sub, It's fun.
Mostly all I know is what I am reading and what I am trying out, If it works and makes better sound for me then I want to share that.
All I can tell you is what I am hearing out of my system. You can argue wires and length and speaker placement and all that and yes that does help. I have improved with re-arrangement and testing the speakers at different locations in the room. I am finding the best spots for each one it takes time. And lots of testing not to mention looking at tons of room configurations online about speaker placement.
I never thought of putting the sub behind the sofa and well heard about it online (LIKE EVERYONE DOES) tried it out and I am AMAZED!
Loudness is just 90% of my goal :rockout:.

So I thank you for your insight and knowledge I am trying it all out where I can if I can.
Thank You. :respect:

Also I was being sarcastic when I said that jelly thing.

Cool to see you're looking at acoustics now! Did you consider / do you know about the use of bass traps? PERFECT DIY material!

Not long and you'll be like this dude

1579547451705.png

Great read!

7 channel stereo can also just be an expanded stereo image across all seven speakers, so its great for panning sounds (ie helicopter flyby etc) but the outermost and center speakers won't be doing much a lot of the time. For music, the use of it is highly questionable. For movies, its a surprisingly effective stand in for surround.

Its also a living hell to get that sorted out without rogue soundwaves all over the place :D

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
UNLESS I AM MISSING SOMETHING OR HAVE SOME HOW MISS READ THIS THEN WTF!
WTF IS this just 2 channel stereo too? I mean..........

Thumb rule about audio(phile): the source has certain characteristics, and anything you do with it other than feed those in the exact way they are recorded to your speakers is going to alter the sound (and makes it different from the original = not audiophile). So if you have a stereo recording (2ch) that is what the best output will be. And it also means you want to use a very (or entirely) flat EQ. No extra bass or treble! A good setup can achieve clarity without that.

LOL, glad I wasn't the one to say it!! But surely by my posts the writing was on the wall and it was only a matter of time before a meltdown. :p

Its not an issue, I seriously detest the overblown audiophile push. But doing it like in this topic, just 'with what's available'... that is major bonus points IMO. Anyone can buy a 6000 dollar setup, who cares :D

I just have mad respect for people that go out and are open to learning stuff :) We need more of that.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Can I just chime in to say I absolutely love the liberal use of audiophile in this topic. Its almost like reading a parody, brilliant :D

Cool to see you're looking at acoustics now! Did you consider / do you know about the use of bass traps? PERFECT DIY material!

Not long and you'll be like this dude

View attachment 142719

Great read!

7 channel stereo can also just be an expanded stereo image across all seven speakers, so its great for panning sounds (ie helicopter flyby etc) but the outermost and center speakers won't be doing much a lot of the time. For music, the use of it is highly questionable. For movies, its a surprisingly effective stand in for surround.

Its also a living hell to get that sorted out without rogue soundwaves all over the place :D
LOL LOVE it!
I am a super huge fan of a certain thing that 7.1 stereo does Quadraphonic sound and yes I have it set up for 7.1 (Or at least It's really close to surround sound actually. I'm a few feet ( 2 ) away from having Surround A Left and Surround A Right in full surround position. I am out of speaker wire and well it is close enough for me really. It would cost me another $40.00 Bucks for more wire and TBPH I am really happy with this setup now.
You can argue 7.1 Dolby surround till the cows come home what it really comes down to is your personal preference. I have my system hooked up correctly. I can not get t the "B" Channel is for multi ch setup and or remote speakers (speakers for another room).
My Denon AVR-3802 maybe 18 years old but it still DOES WORK and in full 7.1 Dolby surround DTS Jazz Rock stereo and mono movie and there maybe another ones here is a link to the stats it's no slouch But I prefer 7.1 stereo in this mod to ME it sounds AMAZING and like quadraphonic used to sound to me (Beleive me or not but sound is coming from all around me and it is so sweet!). If that makes any sense.

Being an Audiophile is hard...

OH I forgot, to help you get the levels right, since ears are not always the very best thing, and you really dont want to use the auto setup in the amp using the mic, I use a DB sound meter on my phone and sit in my, special spot, and run the test tone through each speaker getting them all to the same sweet spot using the app on my phone that way. Im getting old and need help in that department I guess, but it seems to get it all set right that way for me.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
OH I forgot, to help you get the levels right, since ears are not always the very best thing, and you really dont want to use the auto setup in the amp using the mic, I use a DB sound meter on my phone and sit in my, special spot, and run the test tone through each speaker getting them all to the same sweet spot using the app on my phone that way. Im getting old and need help in that department I guess, but it seems to get it all set right that way for me.
Hmmm I will try this out. Sounds like fun.
Thanks. :rockout:

**Edit** Just another killer side note My computer has Nahimic 3 And this is really really cool it makes things sound really good. There are tons of setting and it does enhance the sound and quality of sound as well.

Last edited:
Saying "audiophile" I think was done by rich snobs so they can say that because they have deeper pockets then you and can whip out their audiophile penis at you cus their stuff costed them 10 grand and yours was a wimpy 1K or less for that matter. I dont consider myself one, though I been messing with stuff since I was a kid and cant tell shit from good, to great, for I remember my speakers I made that sounded good to me as a kid when I tore apart my headphones and stuck them in Styrofoam cups, and saw how I was able to project the sound out of them, and from that part on I did all I could with the means I had to make my stuff sound good to me. My first "real" surround AMP was back in about 93-94 when I bought a sony amp at best buy that was supposed to be a stereo unit for $99 and when I got it home it was a Sony "high end" dolby pro-logic unit, and was stoked, and had to go find more speakers, and that set me off from there to find good sounding surround amps to buy and replace.

Since then I like the challenge of being able to find cheap stuff at like good will and the likes and do stuff to make it all sound good, though a perfect matched set is the very best, and I love Bic stuff IMO, for it has the best warranty out there, and not "audiophile" grade, but to get a set with matching speakers in every unit is key, I had it in the past, but due to life happening, had to sell it off, but really would like to have it again. I got my eye on that Bic set I put up little ways up, for they have the same exact speaker and horn in each speaker to make sure the sound stays constant all the way around you. I like what I have, but when I am playing stuff in 5.1 or 7.1 and it goes around me I hate it when it sounds different as it goes around the room due to each speaker being a different brand and freq response.

My passive woofers weight came loose a year after buying my surrounds for my main rig, and I called Bic up, and a human picked up and said hello, told them what had happened, and without a single more question asked me for my address, no receipt, and 5 days later had a replacement, I like that, and when I can buy new, its Bic, but thats my experience with them, and IMO sound fantabulus to me, even the Bic front, though not the same as the rears, sound great for the $200 I paid for them.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
No center channel?

Hmmm I will try this out. Sounds like fun.
Thanks. :rockout:

**Edit** Just another killer side note My computer has Nahimic 3 And this is really really cool it makes things sound really good. There are tons of setting and it does enhance the sound and quality of sound as well.
Bypass that crap, use HDMI or Spdif, and use your receiver to "enhance" the sound, thats what it was made for, IMO, and can be more "pure" that way. I hate that enhancing stuff, like sound blaster crystalizer stuff, what garbage, IMO. I run a spdif from my on-board for it just takes the bits non messed with to my receiver and then use pure direct for stereo, or Ill do DTS NEO:6 Cinema if I want to enhance it to get a surround stage using all my speakers kinda as one to get a much more fuller range freq response then just what my JVC's can do.

Try this and see what you think, if you like room filling music:
Use the phone app, sound meter thing and get all your speakers as close as you can to all the same DB levels
Set ur sound card to its highest it can put out be it dd or dts, or for my card its max that my receiver can handle is 24 bit 192K
Set ur amp to DTS NEO:6 Cinema
Set amp crossover to 80HZ all around for each speaker
Make sure in DD setting that compression is turned off
Make sure Late Night is set to off
Sub set to LFE+Main since the fronts and rears cannot get to that 20hz sweet spot that you will need the sub to have all that freq from all the speakers under the 80HZ go to the sub
and then play music from this Spotify link and let me know what that does for you, but use it as a starting point and tweak as needed for your ears ;)

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Bypass that crap, use HDMI or Spdif, and use your receiver to "enhance" the sound, thats what it was made for, IMO, and can be more "pure" that way. I hate that enhancing stuff, like sound blaster crystalizer stuff, what garbage, IMO. I run a spdif from my on-board for it just takes the bits non messed with to my receiver and then use pure direct for stereo, or Ill do DTS NEO:6 Cinema if I want to enhance it to get a surround stage using all my speakers kinda as one to get a much more fuller range freq response then just what my JVC's can do.

Try this and see what you think, if you like room filling music:
Use the phone app, sound meter thing and get all your speakers as close as you can to all the same DB levels
Set ur sound card to its highest it can put out be it dd or dts, or for my card its max that my receiver can handle is 24 bit 192K
Set ur amp to DTS NEO:6 Cinema
Set amp crossover to 80HZ all around for each speaker
Make sure in DD setting that compression is turned off
Make sure Late Night is set to off
and then play music from this Spotify link and let me know what that does for you, but use it as a starting point and tweak as needed for your ears ;)

The crystalizer... hehe. I think it should be viewed as a way to enhance dull sounding speakers, but yeah. Use with care... there will be clipping and I could even hear it on as little as the 10% setting on it. But FWIW it does the job quite well if you want definition or have shit hearing. (Like me... I lost a few higher frequencies over the years. Crystalizer on and its like they're back)

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Saying "audiophile" I think was done by rich snobs so they can say that because they have deeper pockets then you and can whip out their audiophile penis at you cus their stuff costed them 10 grand and yours was a wimpy 1K or less for that matter. I dont consider myself one, though I been messing with stuff since I was a kid and cant tell shit from good, to great, for I remember my speakers I made that sounded good to me as a kid when I tore apart my headphones and stuck them in Styrofoam cups, and saw how I was able to project the sound out of them, and from that part on I did all I could with the means I had to make my stuff sound good to me. My first "real" surround AMP was back in about 93-94 when I bought a sony amp at best buy that was supposed to be a stereo unit for $99 and when I got it home it was a Sony "high end" dolby pro-logic unit, and was stoked, and had to go find more speakers, and that set me off from there to find good sounding surround amps to buy and replace.

Since then I like the challenge of being able to find cheap stuff at like good will and the likes and do stuff to make it all sound good, though a perfect matched set is the very best, and I love Bic stuff IMO, for it has the best warranty out there, and not "audiophile" grade, but to get a set with matching speakers in every unit is key, I had it in the past, but due to life happening, had to sell it off, but really would like to have it again. I got my eye on that Bic set I put up little ways up, for they have the same exact speaker and horn in each speaker to make sure the sound stays constant all the way around you. I like what I have, but when I am playing stuff in 5.1 or 7.1 and it goes around me I hate it when it sounds different as it goes around the room due to each speaker being a different brand and freq response.

My passive woofers weight came loose a year after buying my surrounds for my main rig, and I called Bic up, and a human picked up and said hello, told them what had happened, and without a single more question asked me for my address, no receipt, and 5 days later had a replacement, I like that, and when I can buy new, its Bic, but that's my experience with them, and IMO sound fantabulus to me, even the Bic front, though not the same as the rears, sound great for the $200 I paid for them.

Exactly! Rich snobs and Youtube click bate Experts have overused and abused the Audiophile acronym.

I'm from the OLD school where 8 track tapes and quadraphonic sound was the thing to have. I'm not a fan of Dolby surround sound I'm not a fan of any of that so called fancy crap I just like good clean sound that encompasses me in it's rich crisp fullness. I don't need to hear a jet fly over my head nor do I want or need full surround sound mostly because the center speaker in surround sound mode IS the MAIN speaker you hear! And THB F that! You can split the hair any way you like but in Full surround sound mode in ANY setting ON ANY system the Center speaker becomes the MAIN focal point of ALL the sound, In movies this is okay just not music.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
LOL LOVE it!
I am a super huge fan of a certain thing that 7.1 stereo does Quadraphonic sound and yes I have it set up for 7.1 (Or at least It's really close to surround sound actually. I'm a few feet ( 2 ) away from having Surround A Left and Surround A Right in full surround position. I am out of speaker wire and well it is close enough for me really. It would cost me another $40.00 Bucks for more wire and TBPH I am really happy with this setup now.
You can argue 7.1 Dolby surround till the cows come home what it really comes down to is your personal preference. I have my system hooked up correctly. I can not get t the "B" Channel is for multi ch setup and or remote speakers (speakers for another room).
My Denon AVR-3802 maybe 18 years old but it still DOES WORK and in full 7.1 Dolby surround DTS Jazz Rock stereo and mono movie and there maybe another ones here is a link to the stats it's no slouch But I prefer 7.1 stereo in this mod to ME it sounds AMAZING and like quadraphonic used to sound to me (Beleive me or not but sound is coming from all around me and it is so sweet!). If that makes any sense.

Being an Audiophile is hard...

Quadrophonic is a four-speaker setup ;) Quadro = quad 4

y'know like quad damage in quake

The idea is to double up on your stereo effect. Ideally, and if you want to look at a major improvement, reduce speaker count to 4 and buy another sub, get two subs one for each channel. Now thát is a good investment to enhance your setup keeping all else the same. Dual sub can not only separate the bass from each L/R channel (you just plug red on one and white on the other). But you also feed each one mono so they gain a shitload of definition. And with sub, less is more; if you can drive them at lower volume there is less vibration = less distortion and rumble.

Its really something to have a clear panning bass wave, too.

Then you will learn the definition of 'tight bass' ;) Im a basshead FYI. Played dubstep gigs for a few years n all

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech

The idea is to double up on your stereo effect. Ideally, and if you want to look at a major improvement, reduce speaker count to 4 and buy another sub, get two subs one for each channel. Now thát is a good investment to enhance your setup keeping all else the same. Dual sub can not only separate the bass from each L/R channel. But you also feed each one mono so they gain a shitload of definition. And with sub, less is more; if you can drive them at lower volume there is less vibration = less distortion and rumble.
Yes that was my very first system. I had a sweet 8 track (think it was an Alpine or kenwood Quadraphonic player, Hard to remember way back then.) A Marantz quadraphonic stereo system (May have been Pioneer), All in all I loved them days. JBL speakers and tube Amp's.

Exactly! Rich snobs and Youtube click bate Experts have overused and abused the Audiophile acronym.

I'm from the OLD school where 8 track tapes and quadraphonic sound was the thing to have. I'm not a fan of Dolby surround sound I'm not a fan of any of that so called fancy crap I just like good clean sound that encompasses me in it's rich crisp fullness. I don't need to hear a jet fly over my head nor do I want or need full surround sound mostly because the center speaker in surround sound mode IS the MAIN speaker you hear! And THB F that! You can split the hair any way you like but in Full surround sound mode in ANY setting ON ANY system the Center speaker becomes the MAIN focal point of ALL the sound, In movies this is okay just not music.
Im also from old school, but I do like my movies with surround sound, and if you set up as I mentioned above, it doesnt pump everything out the center like it was in mono, I HATE THAT WITH A PASSION!!!!! Setting it up like that you get vocals out the center, and then excellent "separation" of all the rest to all the other speakers. Its great if you want room filled sound, and also good if all your speakers are different for it will get you a good balance hitting all the freq mixed together coming from all of them. Listening to my music with DDl or DTSI all that crap comes out my center and is dull af, and hardly anything goes to my other speakers giving me that old quad like sound like back in the day. But I would say you need a decent center IMO, for that tiny thing the OP has in the picture I would think is killing his sound stage, IMO. Need a center if not matching with a MIN of a 5 1/4 with a good tweet to reproduce decent mids and highs. My pc rig's Onkyo speaker has a 6" and a great tweet in it, so it really makes the surround sound good, for a good tweet is important to get the snap of the cymbals reproduced also though it and not just the sides, and helps with vocal sound as well making it not sound "muddy".

But again, if you want spacious sounding "stereo" without it all coming out mostly the center and nothing really going to the sides, do as above and listen to the music in that link to make it sound pretty good, again, IMO. And I do listen to stereo mostly when Im playing my records.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech

The idea is to double up on your stereo effect. Ideally, and if you want to look at a major improvement, reduce speaker count to 4 and buy another sub, get two subs one for each channel. Now thát is a good investment to enhance your setup keeping all else the same. Dual sub can not only separate the bass from each L/R channel (you just plug red on one and white on the other). But you also feed each one mono so they gain a shitload of definition. And with sub, less is more; if you can drive them at lower volume there is less vibration = less distortion and rumble.

Its really something to have a clear panning bass wave, too.

Then you will learn the definition of 'tight bass' ;) Im a basshead FYI. Played dubstep gigs for a few years n all
I'm working on this very thing!

If you want to do that, with just one sub, though as I mentioned I suggest running 2 one at 100hz and the other as low as it can be set to for I too love my bass in music and movies, but why not just get a amp with a & b front, run a set behind you, and in front of you, select stereo, or pure on the receiver, no enhancements, and turn on A & B to play at the same time, and then BAM you got quad. Just sit in your spot, and use the phone, meter app, and lever it out all around you and enjoy! This way youre bypassing the center and rears competently, and then if you have a good amp, when you want surround, just turn off the B speaker selection, and then it will run in surround. Unless Im missing something that will make it not happen this way ;)

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Sweet. When you got it set up, put speakers at 11 and drop this one

Or this one.

If this tickles you. PM ;)

Give this a shot to for us old schoolers for if you give it time will produce some of the lowest of the lows, and on my main rig with 2 subs knocks shit off walls:

if you like old school mixes give this a whirl:

and if you like that stuff need to check my thread here for more at the end of my crap I wrote:

And Vayra86 thats some good sounding stuff right there ;)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Audiophile isn't an acronym. ;)

If there is abuse of the word, I can pin it to one person.............lol.

HOOLEEEEEEEEE JAHHHHHHHHVIS! (I'll give someone an atta boy if they know where that reference is from.

Sweet. When you got it set up, put speakers at 11 and drop this one

Or this one.

If this tickles you. PM ;)
These make my PC speakers (sub) 'chuff', lol.

what sub you got for my onkyo amp sub with my repaired JVC did well with it. Looking forward to trying this out on my other rig to see how it sounds :D