• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Brand new 5000$ Ryzen 3950x build ruined by incredibly annoying sound!!! Please help troubeshoot...

System Name The Ryzenator
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm. AIO
Memory 64GB (4 X 16) G.Skill TridenZ Neo 3600MHz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11OC
Storage 2 X 1TB Samsung Evo Plus
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27"
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Chroma
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (Seasonic Prime Ultra)
Mouse Sandstrøm Premium SS133
Keyboard Razer Cynosa Chroma
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
Hello guys.

I'm on the verge of having an nervous breakdown. Been spending so much time doing proper a-z research, creating spread sheets, compairing hardware, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, you name it, for over 6 months in order to feel 100% secure in building my own rig for the very first time ever. Hardware list as follows:
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi
  • CPU: Ryzen 3950x
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti OC
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x
  • Ram: 64GB G.Skill TridenZ Neo 16CL b-die
  • Storage: 2 x 1TB Samsung Evo Plus
  • Cooler: Deepcool Captain 360EX AIO
  • Fans: 3 x Antec Prizm + 3 x Noctua NF-S12A
  • Case: Lian Li O11-Dynamic
This all ended in the grand finale yesterday night, with me finally getting to finishing up the physical build. Boot up went good, BIOS as well, installed Windows, and for the first 15 seconds, i was the happiest kid there is. And then BAM, it hit me straight in the face!:

This dead annoying electric-like kind of low pitched buzz started coming from somewhere around my upper PCIe slot. At first i thought it was the slot itself, so i switched my GPU to the second slot = no change, clean silent BIOS and boot, just to start buzzing like 15 seconds into Windows startup.

It's quite hard to pin-point the exact location of where the noise is coming from, but i am quite sure it's the GPU. Somewhere around where the PCIe power cables enter on the side of the card is my best guess.

I am really at loss here. I spent so much money on this, and have been looking insanely much forward to first load/using the machine, just to be slapped in the head with this bs. For such an amount of money i simply cannot accept this, and as i lack experience in the building game, i don't really know what to do from here.

Quick facts that might help you guys help me:
  • First all the video underplays this issue - the sound is definetely worse/more noticeable IRL.
  • Both boot, BIOS and first 15 seconds of Windows use = no problem what so ever.
  • I know (or at least have read about coil whine) and when compairing videos of people having this, with my noise - i don't think they match. Mine is much lower pitch, and more of a constant thing, while the coil whine sound clips i've seen/heard, are very dynamic in nature, going up and down in intensity and pitch. Also all cases i've read about, are when under medium to heavy load, and quite random when it comes to which games/software.
  • On the contrary the noise is there ALL OF THE TIME in my case. Not only on loads. Idle as well. Makes no difference what i'm doing. Browsing, gaming, video editing (made a quick test), or just leaving it there....all the same.
  • When i say "ALL THE TIME" it's not entirely true, there are sequences where the buzz is off for 3 seconds, and the start again by it self or by me "activating" it my doing an action in Windows (could be opening a new tab in Chrome).
    To understand this better, please watch the linked video above:

00:00 - Buzz there from start
    00:02 - Me clicking (closing a Chrome tab) buzz stops
    00:05 - Buzz starts on its own again without me doing anything
    00:08 - Me clicking again (opening a Chrome tab this time) buzz stops
    00:11 - Buzz starts by it self yet again
    00:17 - Me clicking buzz stops
    00:20 - Buzz begins yet again while idling
    00:22 - I click, buzz momentarily stops for like 1/10 of a second but continues this time
    00:24 - Again, i click, buzz momentarily stops for 1/10 of a second and continues again
    00:25 - Same
    00:27 - Me clicking buzz stops
    00:28 - Buzz begins yet again while idling
    00:32 - Me clicking buzz stops
    On and on like this all day long.............drives me crazy!

• Definetely audible even with fans on
  • Not a fan problem, i've turned them all off still having the issue
  • Not a PCIe slot problem, tried 2 different ones
I really hope you guys can help me with this. Like i write i simply can't live with this kind of buzzing all day long. I could understand it to some extend on heavy loads/high FPS while gaming, but hell no while browsing, and doing normal day to day working tasks. Especially as the buzz comes on and off all the time - makes it 100 times more noticable and annoying. Was it static and there at all times, i might (probably not) learn to live with it by getting used to it, but this type of noise comes to remind you it's there by starting and stopping over all the time. Having spent a fortune on a new rig of this calibre, i will absolutely not accept this - even if i come to the conclusion that this is "normal" - which i highly doubt (guess i would have seen a hell lot of more people complaining about this issue while doing my research earlier). Anyway, if it is - i will sent it all back.

And last thing, please listen carefully to the sound in the video, in stead of just quickly labelling it as coil whine. If it is, it is - but as i wrote it doesn't sound like it to me when comparing other videos.

PLEASE help a first time rig builder, what to do here?!

Thanks!

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I would probably RMA the GPU or get a replacement it's most likely the culprit.

Does the noise get worse when you put the GPU under a high load?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Sounds like coil whine to me. It's hard to capture and many people mistake one thing for another. But the fact is... that sound you're hearing doesn't often go away. Call it what you want. Certain frequencies and loads will trigger it and though it sometimes settles down nobody ever reports it going away completely. It depends on whatever the magic resonant frequency is. It varies from card to card. I think most gpus will have it to some extent. It's just a matter of whether it's audible.

Just one of those unpredictable things that happens with gpu power stages. You could get another of the same card that's quiet. An expensive one that has it. A cheap one that doesn't... luck of the draw. Everyone who tries to fix it goes in circles. Best to replace the card and get on with life. :)

I wouldn't RMA... manufacturers are a toss up as to whether they take it seriously. Based on my recent dealings with Asus they're half liable to send back the same card after testing if it works. First course is return the card to the retailer

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
I would probably RMA the GPU or get a replacement it's most likely the culprit.

Does the noise get worse when you put the GPU under a high load?
It will probably be my next step - just wanted to make sure on here first. Maybe i am overseeing something small, being able to fix the issue myself. Which i'm hoping very much for!

It is the psu. Check back again from 80plus.org its ithd.
Sorry if i'm misunderstanding you here, but RM850x is a 80 Gold PSU?

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
It will probably be my next step - just wanted to make sure on here first. Maybe i am overseeing something small, being able to fix the issue myself. Which i'm hoping very much for!

If you can still straight up get it replaced I would definitely do it...

The two most likely causes are
1 GPU
2 PSU

I would start by replacing the GPU preferably over rma because as @robot zombie said they're likely just going to send you the same card back.

Then if the replacement GPU does the same thing try replacing the psu.

After listening to it on my pc it definitely sounds like coil whine to me as well.

Last edited:
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
does it do it in either bios positions? Power or Quiet? Both?

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
does it do it in either bios positions? Power or Quiet? Both?
Yes

If you can still straight up get it replaced I would definitely do it...

1 GPU
2 PSU

I would start by replacing the GPU preferably over rma because as @robot zombie said they're likely just going to send you the same card back.

Then if the replacement GPU does the same thing try replacing the psu.
Will try, only problem is i've been waiting for weeks on some hardware to arrive, so the whole build has taken me like 5 weeks to complete. They only have 30 days return policy - but are known to be large some times. Worth a try. Other wise i will have to RMA.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
1 GPU
2 PSU

This. It could be the PSU itself , the GPU itself, or the PSU not liking the GPU but that would be the first thing (PSU) I would replace then if it still occurs replace the GPU. I've had the same issue with several Seasonic OEM units even though your PSU is built by CWT (I've found them to play nice with most GPUs.)

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
Ithd electronic interference makes avionics grade psu differ from the standard.
Which one in particular? (min. 850w)

D

Deleted member 193706

its electrical interference, from where is a good question, I guess the only way you can find out is by testing out different configurations if plausible, as said above, start with the GPU and PSU though I'd also be looking at audio connections and wiring as they can emit this annoying constant whining noise under certain scenarios as well, and chances are you could try out 20 different combinations of your current config with others and not have this problem making it a "unique" problem with your setup, though try and isolate the problem then you can aim to fix it.

Or you know.... your AMD motherboard and CPU don't like your NVIDIA GPU and are just showing their displease with it by constant heckling :p

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Ithd electronic interference makes avionics grade psu differ from the standard.

What are you on about? Isn't that a CWT built PSU, Corsair branded? It COULD be the issue but we have no conclusive proof.

its electrical interference, from where is a good question, I guess the only way you can find out is by testing out different configurations if plausible, as said above, start with the GPU and PSU though I'd also be looking at audio connections and wiring as they can emit this annoying constant whining noise under certain scenarios as well, and chances are you could try out 20 different combinations of your current config with others and not have this problem making it a "unique" problem with your setup, though try and isolate the problem then you can aim to fix it.

Or you know.... your AMD motherboard and CPU don't like your NVIDIA GPU and are just showing their displease with it by constant heckling :p

It's coil whine. I doubt highly electrical interference has anything to do with this.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
PSU and/or GPU would be my guess like others said.

My bro had a loud whiny PSU once 'decent unit' and when he upgraded to a new GPU it completely stoped doing it.

In my current build my PSU does it too but its very low pitched and it happens as long as my PC has idle power which means I have to power off the entire PC when I go to sleep else I can hear that faint whiny noise in the bed ~3 meters from my PC 'sensitive ears'.:banghead:

What are you on about? Isn't that a CWT built PSU, Corsair branded? It COULD be the issue but we have no conclusive proof.
I'm afraid, you are speaking to someone with ample time and not enough to do. :)

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Benchmark Scores T.B.A.
Any idea if this GPU would be compatible with my ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero PCIe 4 mobo? Just to have a cheap ass GPU to test with in order to make sure noise is coming from my 2080 Ti:

It's PCIe 2 - don't know if a 570 board would read this dinosaur?

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (366W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.2.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)
I’ve heard stories like this a few times.
It all comes down to PSU and GPU combination. There is nothing wrong with either of them. It’s just the pairing.

Frankly you can’t do much about it but to change one of them to different model or brand...

Yup, GPU choke coil whine. The problem is solvable but will take replacing either the GPU, the PSU or both.

The only other solution is to seal the coils by using superglue to fill the edges of the choke coils where the choke housing meets the PCB. The sound is being emitted from under the housing through the gap between choke's themselves and the board they're soldered to. Works everytime and does no harm, but you have to know what parts to seal.

It is an irresponsible answer because I did not see it directly, but is it a replacement of the power supply unit? RYZEN uses more power when idle, so the sound is unique. I would suggest testing the power supply unit on another PC. For the time being, the cause can be isolated.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Check your pump?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Unless you have a spare/old CPU/GPU, if not, and if you have any real friends, borrow a GPU and a PSU and swap either one out and see if the whine is still there. If not, do some load testing too.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Scythe Ninja 5
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) (F4-3600C16D-16GVKC) @ 3733 MHz 16-19-19-19-36-56
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC 8GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / 3x Crucial MX500 / 4 HDDs
Display(s) Dell 23" LCD S2316M
Case Rosewill Rise Glow
Power Supply CORSAIR RM650
Mouse Cooler Master MS120
Keyboard Cooler Master MS120
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm siding with the majority here.
It seems to be coil whine from the PSU or GPU.
That video in the OP's post showed the problem very clearly being GPU coil whine. I've seen/heard that sound many times. PSU noise has a very different characteristic and sound tone.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
Tried running v sync turned on in Nv panel, probably the frame rate limiter as well (set to 60)? as that would prevent the card from getting into high fps without load,
usually the cause (high fps) for coil whine.