• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Soldering Guide Help

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
@Ferrum Master, the video portion showing Solder paste was sweet, never knew it existed myself.

As I said it's beneficial for GPUs

It is not a good video. It is not done like that anymore... like student level. You need a preheater under and sum up the energy in order not to damage the part an PCB, often you will not be able to heat up the part off the multi layer PCB due to thick copper layer, you will burn the upper PCB black but the solder will not melt. Especially like for ones that knocked a cap off the PCB.

SMD parts are put on using air gun and prehater... that's the most harmless way for the part and PCB. Soldering gun more for robust through hole devices. They have longer legs and don't heat up the semiconductor core damaging it.

With method like soldering all the pins together in many cases PCB traces will pop off and permanently damage the board. Plain isopropanol cannot be used for cleaning semiconductors as it was held in aluminum barrels thus it has metal ions, as a result the MCU will soak it and start to hang up often. Those things are bitten through like 20 years ago.

Also guys and galls... doing much SMD soldering without a microscope or at least some magnifying glass will instantly put you on prescription glasses queue.

Did you watch the entire video? He covers that.

I have to agree 100%.

People, this is a help thread and the negativity is needless. If us users want to offer alternate methodologies for soldering, thats one thing.

I agree, TPU community, either add Soldering tips or, just step away from the keyboard.

I don't comment youtube at all.. I don't consume low quality material. If I see endorsement for such things here it just amuses me and make me sad.

Such things as soldering need proper scholarship, not a youtube video. You must attend some sort of real courses with a teacher and equipment and play on with things, there are electronics circles everywhere around the world, use them. Not doing the stuff from first time and damage it even more as it usually ends up. It ain't that simple. It ain't fixing a broken power cord. We are talking about high tech SMD part soldering... not some plain simple through hole one layer PCB. Things have changed in the last 10 years very fast due to rapid tech development. Home repairs are not a reasonable thing to recommend to someone.

Scholarship really?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Scholarship really?

More like a drivers license... As I said, I have nothing about repairing a domestic simple thing. You need to attend basic courses, where you know the consequences if you want to do more. It is like giving a grenade to monkey often.

But an advanced SMD repair... GPU? Nuts... this video shows nothing, but bad for it. This one is a specialized case about soldering home brew thin DIY project PCB. Yeah, then do what you wish... it is tech level around 1980 ties incliding the Atmega MCU, still a intel 8051 core in the heart, so the 80ties indeed... is good for a starter? Also no.

It is 2020, acting around the board with a wick and poking elements with a hot soldering gun raised my eyebrows too much. It is a bad example really.

More like a drivers license... As I said, I have nothing about repairing a domestic simple thing. You need to attend basic courses, where you know the consequences if you want to do more. It is like giving a grenade to monkey often.

But an advanced SMD repair... GPU? Nuts... this video shows nothing, but bad for it. This one is a specialized case about soldering home brew thin DIY project PCB. Yeah, then do what you wish... it is tech level around 1980 ties incliding the Atmega MCU, still a intel 8051 core in the heart, so the 80ties indeed... is good for a starter? Also no.

It is 2020, acting around the board with a wick and poking elements with a hot soldering gun raised my eyebrows too much. It is a bad example really.

I use a full infrared BGA workstation. I will upload photo of all my soldering tips soon. I have around 20 different type of soldering tips which I can change on-a-fly. Must use the correct soldering tip for the right task. So I'm always swapping soldering tips, but a photo will show a rack of many types of soldering tips.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I use a full infrared BGA workstation. I will upload photo of all my soldering tips soon. I have around 20 different type of soldering tips which I can change on-a-fly. Must use the correct soldering tip for the right task. So I'm always swapping soldering tips, but a photo will show a rack of many types of soldering tips.
sounds like you can prolly make tutorial just for what solder tips to use. :D :respect:

System Name The ugly cube
Processor i7 4770k 4.20 GHz
Motherboard Asrock Z97 Xtreme 4
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.B
Memory 4 x 4Gb G.Skill RipJawZ 2133 Mhz DDR3 F3-2133C10Q-16GZM
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon™ RX 480 8G D5 OC
Storage System: a lot of ssds (4+) and 2 2TB hdds
Display(s) An acer, 24" freesync
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) Integrated soundcard, DIY gainclone amplifier, speaker Sonus Faber Minima (badly aged, to repair)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Ozone Strike Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit/ 10 pro
Benchmark Scores ------ To do D:
Here is a Pretty Good Video for soldering technique for THT and SMD.

Disclaimer:
This is a guide and you are the person responsible for any improper soldering/damage, not anyone else.

I've already seen al of them, as a hobbyst, they work for me. another video that i have find usefull, for sdm work it's from the madmad Ben Heck.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
sounds like you can prolly make tutorial just for what solder tips to use. :D :respect:
There are those on the net as well :D
I have around 20 hakko tips as well, plus a spare 6-pack of needle-point tips. I think I'm set for the next decade or so, cause so far I only needed to replace one needle-point (and only cause I f'ed up with upkeep).

Getting my camera out, give me 15 mins to upload photo(s).

EDIT: A couple of tips are the same but this should give you an idea of how many soldering tips I have. Most are new & some are missing from the list. Close-up photo to follow so you can see the part number. ..cancelled you can see the part number by zooming in.

Update: These are 24v soldering tips with the heating element built-in, so you can't break this soldering iron. With these set of tips along with the others missing from the photo, I can do anything I want. I have a box full of spare soldering tips.

WIN_20200212_14_27_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
System Name The ugly cube
Processor i7 4770k 4.20 GHz
Motherboard Asrock Z97 Xtreme 4
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.B
Memory 4 x 4Gb G.Skill RipJawZ 2133 Mhz DDR3 F3-2133C10Q-16GZM
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon™ RX 480 8G D5 OC
Storage System: a lot of ssds (4+) and 2 2TB hdds
Display(s) An acer, 24" freesync
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) Integrated soundcard, DIY gainclone amplifier, speaker Sonus Faber Minima (badly aged, to repair)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Ozone Strike Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit/ 10 pro
Benchmark Scores ------ To do D:

I'm a bit envious...... I really need to upgrade my workbench.....

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Watched some of it and I definitely agree that there's some bad stuff there. But I've also seen worse. It ain't "proper soldering" though. Decent for a hobbyist.

Such things as soldering need proper scholarship, not a youtube video. You must attend some sort of real courses with a teacher and equipment and play on with things, there are electronics circles everywhere around the world, use them. Not doing the stuff from first time and damage it even more as it usually ends up. It ain't that simple. It ain't fixing a broken power cord. We are talking about high tech SMD part soldering... not some plain simple through hole one layer PCB. Things have changed in the last 10 years very fast due to rapid tech development. Home repairs are not a reasonable thing to recommend to someone.

I would say it depends on the goal. I do messy soldering, but it's for myself and it works. Some stuff I'm decent at but generally not PCB work (mostly because of lack of tools and patience) but I'm getting better. You can mess around with stuff at home (old NICs are great for that) just to see how different things behave in different circumstances. You need the basics of course, and proper courses helps there (the IPC cert course I did was hugefully helpful at the time) but you most of all need patience and experience. And the basics can definitely be aquired online.

but all this is assuming the individual has basic electronics knowledge and know how heat and conductors work. Also bad habits are bad habits and should be shunned even on a hobbyist level, but a part of me will always have a soft spot for pure, ugly DIY.

I'm a bit envious...... I really need to upgrade my workbench.....

Yes, but I still need external soldering iron to repair the workstation when it breaks down. So I have a external soldering unit that share the same soldering tips as the workstation. So effectively I have two soldering irons, one stationary & the other portable.

System Name The Banshee
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @ 4.45GHz
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Plus
Memory 16GB 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) RTX 3060M 6GB @ 1750-2000MHz Core / 1875MHz Mem
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 & 1TB Mass Storage HDD
Display(s) LG 25UM57-P @ 75Hz OC
Case Fractal Design Arc XL
Audio Device(s) ATH-M20x
Power Supply Evga SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Evga Torq X3
Keyboard Thermaltake Challenger
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
but a part of me will always have a soft spot for pure, ugly DIY.
What, like this genuine masterpiece right here? :p

20180411_205850.jpg

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
There's only one person that I know of that do something like this. The best part is the tub in the top right hand corner that say's "danger"
:roll: :roll: :clap::peace:

This is an EPIC pic! AMAZING! I LOVE IT! THAT can with Danger Flammable / Irritant! WTF!!! And it's as close to that electrical PCB board as humanly possible! ;):rockout::clap::roll:AND to top that there is an Allen- wrench that the PCB board is resting ON!
PERFECT!

System Name The Banshee
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @ 4.45GHz
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Plus
Memory 16GB 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) RTX 3060M 6GB @ 1750-2000MHz Core / 1875MHz Mem
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 & 1TB Mass Storage HDD
Display(s) LG 25UM57-P @ 75Hz OC
Case Fractal Design Arc XL
Audio Device(s) ATH-M20x
Power Supply Evga SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Evga Torq X3
Keyboard Thermaltake Challenger
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
:roll: :roll: :clap::peace:

This is an EPIC pic! AMAZING! I LOVE IT! THAT can with Danger Flammable / Irritant! WTF!!! And it's as close to that electrical PCB board as humanly possible! ;):rockout::clap::roll:AND to top that there is an Allen- wrench that the PCB board is resting ON!
PERFECT!
It's just the camera perspective, it's not actually anywhere near the stuff in the background. Besides I move those bottles well away when doing anything with high temp.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
It's just the camera perspective, it's not actually anywhere near the stuff in the background. Besides I move those bottles well away when doing anything with high temp.
Whatever you need to tell yourself, YOU ARE THE MAN! YES!!! :clap: :rockout:

You don't have to convince me, But the Fire martial is another issue. ;)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Update: These are 24v soldering tips with the heating element built-in, so you can't break this soldering iron.
Is that for T12 handle? If yes, tell me if it's any good...
Just thinking about buying a spare iron for home projects. Bouncing between small T12 kit and one of those TS100 portables.

Is that for T12 handle? If yes, tell me if it's any good...
Just thinking about buying a spare iron for home projects. Bouncing between small T12 kit and one of those TS100 portables.

I'm not familiar with that part number but it looks compatible. But double check before you buy.

I have Aoyue BGA 9000A workstation & a seperate iron Aoyue int2900, both share/use the same type of tips. As I said in this thread, I only use the int2900 to repair the workstation when it breaks down.

int2900 can be seen here https://www.aoyue.eu/aoyue-int2900-...ring-station-smd-soldering-iron-wq-serie.html

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I'm not familiar with that part number but it looks compatible. But double check before you buy.
It's just a reference to whichever Hakko pencil they've cloned. Chinese are keeping things simple, so it's usually Hakko T12, or Hakko 907 knock-offs. The only exception is inductive stations.
TS100 is a tiny portable soldering pen with wide-input (12-24V), and can be powered from anything, like a power bank w/ adjustable output, car lighter socket, ASUS laptop power brick, LED strip PSU etc.
Lots of positive reviews as well, the only problem is that it uses some sort of modified version of T12 tips and they cost a fortune($5-$12 apiece, depending on quality). I'm eyeing a kit w/ 7 tips for $80 shipped, but I'm not sure if those heating elements aren't crap.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
My father built his own ham radio and audio equipment plus repaired TV's in the 1950's. I learned to solder when I was around 5 years old and learned well enough to do military circuit boards and drive controllers for ships and submarines years later. Every solder joint must look exactly like the specification picture. About 10 years ago I bought one of these cheapo soldering stations off Ebay and was very surprised just how well it works. It still works perfectly today, can't be beat for the price. Make sure to also get the 4-piece replacement tip set for added versatility. https://www.parts-express.com/stahl...e-temperature-soldering-iron-station--374-100

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Here is a Pretty Good Video for soldering technique for THT and SMD.

Disclaimer:
This is a guide and you are the person responsible for any improper soldering/damage, not anyone else.

Here is another good Video

It's just a reference to whichever Hakko pencil they've cloned. Chinese are keeping things simple, so it's usually Hakko T12, or Hakko 907 knock-offs. The only exception is inductive stations.
TS100 is a tiny portable soldering pen with wide-input (12-24V), and can be powered from anything, like a power bank w/ adjustable output, car lighter socket, ASUS laptop power brick, LED strip PSU etc.
Lots of positive reviews as well, the only problem is that it uses some sort of modified version of T12 tips and they cost a fortune($5-$12 apiece, depending on quality). I'm eyeing a kit w/ 7 tips for $80 shipped, but I'm not sure if those heating elements aren't crap.

With a assortment of various tip you can do some interesting hacks. It was the blade type tip that allowed me to be the first to soldered heatsinks directly to the MOSFETS. You can remove & replace MOSFETS just with the soldering iron, but this requires very high level of skill. You will learn very quickly what you can do very fast.

You can do all sorts of modifications. It's these tools I was able to change power output "in hardware" on my motherboard & R9 Nano.

I buy my tips separately, normally in twos or threes of the same type as you need spares. The tiny 0.1 tip I have more of this as this is what I use to solder-in SMT component including IC, so I have around 5 as you can break the tiny tip if you press to hard & they do go blunt over time.

I recommend never to push the temperature to the max 480c, but just below 470c, but you should never need to go this high, 440c-450c is all I need for the toughest job.

IF you have all the tips, nothing will stand in your way & there are more different types of tips out there.

Attachments

• soldering-iron-tips.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I used these ancient videos to learn some basic techniques but due to neurological stuff my hands shake a lot so I don't solder often.

Just another heads-up.

I have completely abandoned all solder that's on a reel. All my solder is from a tub, ie solder paste. You can control the amount of solder you want on the pad better. Melting point of my solder is around 180c.

Solder paste is kept in a tiny fridge which can hold around 8 normal size can of drink.

I used these ancient videos to learn some basic techniques but due to neurological stuff my hands shake a lot so I don't solder often.

Great video that's what I call proper soldering. Funny Alpha is the flux I use, very expensive, but i have others.

EDIT: One other thing, I have a motorize wire brush for cleaning the soldering tips.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Just another heads-up.

I have completely abandoned all solder that's on a reel. All my solder is from a tub, ie solder paste. You can control the amount of solder you want on the pad better. Melting point of my solder is around 180c.

Would like to try at some point, but the old lead solder is universally found and I have heaps of it and solder paste cost a lot more anyway. How long does it last unopened/opened? I have looked at some and they generally say they don't last long. Is that why the fridge?