• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Releases the Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.2 Drivers

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
AMD today released version 20.2.2 of their Radeon Adrenalin Edition driver suite. The new version brings with it support for the launch of Zombie Army 4: Dead War, so users can experience the latest and greatest performance available for AMD graphics cards on the new release.Perhaps more importantly, the new release also features a number of fixes for Black Screen errors in a number of scenarios and games, of which much has already been written over the internet. There are still a number of instances where black screens can occur listed on AMD's "Known Issues" checklist for this driver release, however, so make sure to check the release notes to see if this driver looks to fix your particular scenario. Of course, you're likely always better off updating to this latest driver version.

DOWNLOAD: AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.2 Drivers

Fixed Issues
  • Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.
  • Improvements have been made that allow for more responsive fan ramp up or fan ramp down times on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report lower than expected clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products during gaming workloads.
  • When Instant Replay is enabled, a TDR or black screen may occur when launching games or applications.
  • A black screen may occur when toggling HDR on in the game settings of Battlefield V.
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt may experience an application hang or black screen during certain parts of the game or intermittently during gameplay.
  • Some video content in Chrome may appear as a black screen or be unresponsive on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products when hardware acceleration is enabled.
  • Metro Exodus may experience an application hang or TDR when choosing some specific dialogue prompts in the Sam's Story DLC.
  • Grand Theft Auto V may experience an application crash when invoking Radeon Software's overlay with third party OSD applications running.
  • Monster Hunter World : Iceborne may experience intermittent crashes while idle or on the character creation screen.
  • Some games colors may appear washed out when HDR mode has been enabled in game and Windows on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products
  • After a Factory Reset installation with the 'Keep My Settings' option chosen, Instant Replay could fail to function if it was enabled in the previous Radeon Software installation.
  • When invoking Radeon Software's overlay while a game is open users may observe flickering in the game or in the Radeon Software interface.
  • Radeon Software may experience a crash and error message when locking Windows or performing a sleep or hibernate with the Radeon Software Streaming tab open.
  • A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Radeon Software may fail to launch if Radeon Software's overlay is disabled and a game is running in the background.
  • Battlefield V may experience an application hang or TDR after extended periods of play.
  • Some Origin games may fail to be detected or may detect the incorrect game title in Radeon Software.
  • Some productivity applications are being detected and listed in the Radeon Software games tab.
  • The Radeon Chill hotkey could sometimes continue to remain enabled once the user has removed or disabled the hotkey.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 may exhibit blocky textures on snow covered terrain.
  • After resuming from sleep, Chrome may experience an application crash if video content was previously playing on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Radeon FreeSync status in Radeon Software may sometimes fail to update when enabling or disabling the feature through the display itself.
  • Fortnite may experience an application crash on Radeon RX 500 series Hybrid Graphics system configurations.

Known Issues
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • DOOM may experience an intermittent system hang or application crash during gameplay.
  • Desktop cursor may intermittently remain visible after toggling Radeon Software's overlay in some games. A workaround is to bring up the game menu or task switch to refresh the cursor.
  • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers benchmark.
  • The Gaming tab in Radeon Software may display some folder locations appearing as games.
  • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent window size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Some games may experience stutter while using Instant Replay or third-party applications that stream or perform screen capture. A potential workaround is to disable these features or applications while gaming.
  • Although Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 resolves many black screen issues, AMD is aware that some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.

Important Notes
This optional release of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition is targeted towards resolving recent important issues identified by our community. We will be closely monitoring feedback on the release, and encourage users to submit issues they encounter at www.amd.com/report.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
Poll is awkward. If user owns 5000 series amd gpu, and you are asking strictly about 5000 amd's gpu how the third option makes any sense? Even if user has multiple PCs with amd and nvidia gpus third option still makes no sense as you are asking about experience with 5000 amd gpus.

In the same way I can say this driver didn't fix anything to me because as user of radeon rx580 i didn't have black screen issues in the first place. Where is option in poll for me?

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
Yeah, the polls statistc will spitt out, that everybody not taking place in the poll will use below radeon 5000 series and users of intel graphics.
The poll only targets radeon 5000 series users and interested geforce users.
btw. a lot of non radeon 5000 series users including myself had blackscreen issues, so i will test thisone but i´m pessimistic

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
Yeah, the polls statistc will spitt out, that everybody not taking place in the poll will use below radeon 5000 series and users of intel graphics.
The poll only targets radeon 5000 series users and interested geforce users.
btw. a lot of non radeon 5000 series users including myself had blackscreen issues, so i will test thisone but i´m pessimistic
My Vega 64 system had the black screen issue only during the first 8 minutes or so after initial post but... only on the original adrenalin release. Every subsequent update I didn't have an issue with. On my 5700xt system never experienced it whatsoever.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Will have to see if this resolves my issues when I get home from work today. I'm hopeful.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
My Vega 64 system had the black screen issue only during the first 8 minutes or so after initial post but... only on the original adrenalin release. Every subsequent update I didn't have an issue with. On my 5700xt system never experienced it whatsoever.

Depends really on use case and software environtment it seems. I haven't had a problem with my new RX 5600 XT in the first 3 weeks, but then I had two black screen crashes basically on idle within 4 days.
Due to work related stuff I had to open up Chrome along side Firefox with hw acceleration enabled and after 2-3 minutes swapping tabs on Chrome I had a black screen crash and the computer restarded after a couple of seconds just like a BSOD.

Then had the same thing happen when I had Discord open and just did a right click on my Steam tray icon, menu still came up. But right after that it hardlocked the PC. After that I disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome, FF, Discord, even Steam. Even uninstalled f.lux thinking there might be some compatibility problems too.

Now with the new drivers I turned everything back on again, bar reinstalling f.lux. Will report back if I run into problems again.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's almost Spring 2020 and you still can't play 2016 DOOM on a Navi gpu... ugh... I'm going nvidia next round sorry everyone. I tried to give them a chance but that is insane.

ARF

It's almost Spring 2020 and you still can't play 2016 DOOM on a Navi gpu... ugh... I'm going nvidia next round sorry everyone. I tried to give them a chance but that is insane.

What if the expected to launch soon Navi 21 turns out to be almost 100% faster than the RX 5700XT, thus obliterating everything including heavily overclocked RTX 2080 Ti ?

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Could you provide more details on that? As i hear about it for the first time and i'm genuinely curious.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
What if the expected to launch soon Navi 21 turns out to be almost 100% faster than the RX 5700XT, thus obliterating everything including heavily overclocked RTX 2080 Ti ?

Will the drivers be as problematic?

Sadly, if so, yeah, pass.

It's absurd the number of things I've had to fix myself. Case in point: I pointed out the fast sync issue and even identified why it is happening (certain navi spinning and/or bios revisions don't support the FW_DSTATE Power management flag) like, a month ago. It's written here in one of the 5700 XT threads. AMD is just now acknowledging it's an issue, and their fix? To just turn the thing off? That's laughable. *I* literally did better than that with a simple softpowerplay table.

They need to try better. I'm loading these, but hopefully they won't bite me.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Will the drivers be as problematic?

Sadly, if so, yeah, pass.

It's absurd the number of things I've had to fix myself. Case in point: I pointed out the fast sync issue and even identified why it is happening (certain navi spinning and/or bios revisions don't support the FW_DSTATE Power management flag) like, a month ago. It's written here in one of the 5700 XT threads. AMD is just now acknowledging it's an issue, and their fix? To just turn the thing off? That's laughable. *I* literally did better than that with a simple softpowerplay table.

They need to try better. I'm loading these, but hopefully they won't bite me.

AMD's GPU driver team need to hire you froggy, just like their CPU team need to hire 1musmus for the RyZen Dram Calculator.

But man, it has been what, 6 or7 ? months since Navi launch and they are still working on getting the GPU to work normally? That is kinda rough TBH.

And soon we will have the elite red guards here defending and praising RTG's every move. I mean fixing things is better than doing nothing.

ARF

AMD's GPU driver team need to hire you froggy, just like their CPU team need to hire 1musmus for the RyZen Dram Calculator.
What could be the cause? Bad team atmosphere there, too much stress, low salaries, too much work?

If they don't pay well, it's normal, not absurd, actually many businesses today are operating with similar results.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.

Anyone have a list of which games these are? I can test when I get home later.

Could you provide more details on that? As i hear about it for the first time and i'm genuinely curious.

DOOM may experience an intermittent system hang or application crash during gameplay.

I was able to play DOOM (2016) on a previous Adrenalin 19 driver though, so not sure what they did to break this.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

But man, it has been what, 6 or7 ? months since Navi launch and they are still working on getting the GPU to work normally? That is kinda rough TBH.

And soon we will have the elite red guards here defending and praising RTG's every move. I mean fixing things is better than doing nothing.

It's got to be some kind of spining issue. Especially with how inconsistent it is. There has to be a silent revision, or something, and I really don't like the hiding go on around it.

Oh, and AMD can send me money any time, but I'd rather they spent it fixing their products. I can't be hired, got other obligations to my family business.

I was able to play DOOM (2016) on a previous Adrenalin 19 driver though, so not sure what they did to break this.

In a tight spot, the Radeon Pro drivers are basically the Adrenalin 19 drivers with bugfixes. They might work.

EDIT: In case your wondering what snapped inside me today to rant about this, it isn't that *I* can't handle the problems. It's that most can't, and AMD is killing itself not acting on this faster.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
RX 5700 XT is around RTX 2070 Super!

WTFtech seriously??

From TPU's own latest GPU performance summary charts:

5700XT 183%
2070Super 196%

So 13% difference is the same tier now I guess?

ARF

WTFtech seriously??

All YouTube videos show the same results - RX 5700 XT is in line with RTX 2070 Super / RTX 2080.

I don't know why TPU's results are so low for the Radeon - can be anything - software settings, Windows version, drivers version too old, etc.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps

I've had no issues playing DOOM on my 5700 XT

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Isn't there better performance in Vulkan mode than OpenGL for that game IIRC?

I think AMD's eternally poopy OpenGL drivers could be the culprit there. Just switch render modes.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III

I think AMD's eternally poopy OpenGL drivers could be the culprit there. Just switch render modes.
I believe so. I've always had better performance on Vulkan over OpenGL on both my 580 and 5700 XT. Haven't had any reason to switch back to OpenGL since changing to Vulkan the day I bought the game.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
All YouTube videos show the same results - RX 5700 XT is in line with RTX 2070 Super / RTX 2080.

I don't know why TPU's results are so low for the Radeon - can be anything - software settings, Windows version, drivers version too old, etc.

This all depends on the games used for testing. DMC5 and BFV are heavily optimized on AMD cards, for example.

This is why I prefer purchasing video cards based on what games I plan to play or what engines they are/will be using instead of an overall/relative performance chart.

As of today, it is recommended to use the Vulkan renderer regardless of GPU since that was developed more.

In a tight spot, the Radeon Pro drivers are basically the Adrenalin 19 drivers with bugfixes. They might work.

EDIT: In case your wondering what snapped inside me today to rant about this, it isn't that *I* can't handle the problems. It's that most can't, and AMD is killing itself not acting on this faster.

If I could use the Radeon Pro drivers on my RX 5700 XT, I would.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
As of today, it is recommended to use the Vulkan renderer

It's the way forward anyways, which is why I honestly don't care so much that AMDs opengl is bad. They have much bigger things to fix first.

Back on topic, driver is fresh installed. Lets see what happens with this vs the Radeon Pro driver I was running before.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut

scroll up to post 1 of this thread... under the known issues list... sigh...

good for you but if there are opengl issues on a game from 2016, then i imagine many older games that never get tested, that use opengl will have issues too... the older games can't switch over to Vulkan...

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
scroll up to post 1 of this thread... under the known issues list... sigh...

good for you but if there are opengl issues on a game from 2016, then i imagine many older games that never get tested, that use opengl will have issues too... the older games can't switch over to Vulkan...
Yes, i saw changelog but did you try it on your own gpu and game didn't launch for you? If yes then did you try on other driver version or have you tried to troubleshoot by following error code which you can find in event viewer? Changelog says "doom may..." so it means it doesn't have to have problems but they may happen.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan

Err, try out those games first before concluding that OpenGL in the driver is broken. The OpenGL renderer for Doom (2016) hasn't been updated for a while. id concentrated on improving Vulkan since thats solely used for id Tech 6 (Wolfenstein II, Youngblood, Saber3D engine) games now.