• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR and EKWB Water Blocks Tested on GeForce RTX 2080

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Today, we take a look at two different watercooling solutions for the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 from CORSAIR and EKWB. Both offer a full-cover water block with design twists of their own, and both are put through the full course of testing, including coolant flow restriction and GPU core and VRM thermal testing.

Show full review

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I do have gripes....

I would love to see the Corsair contact areas and the machining quality. Sadly the pre-applied goo and pads hides it.

Would also have loved to see the contact patches after the card was removed from the block for both.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Corsair poached team from EKWB few years ago, full cover waterblocks are fruits. Does money make a diff.?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I do have gripes....

I would love to see the Corsair contact areas and the machining quality. Sadly the pre-applied goo and pads hides it.

Would also have loved to see the contact patches after the card was removed from the block for both.

The CORSAIR block is still on the GPU after the last mount, it's part of an upcoming build. I'll try to remember about the contact part after everything is done, but will be a few months at least.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
The CORSAIR block is still on the GPU after the last mount, it's part of an upcoming build. I'll try to remember about the contact part after everything is done, but will be a few months at least.

Ahh that's definitely a problem. If you forget it's no worries.

On the EK did the mounting surfaces for the die or other areas feel rough? My favourite test is taking a bic pen and rubbing the plastic end across, if it makes noise it's bad. Good compliment to the finger nail test.

The results were really interesting in just how close they perform.

Oooo... Building a full Corsair loop?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Ahh that's definitely a problem. If you forget it's no worries.

On the EK did the mounting surfaces for the die or other areas feel rough? My favourite test is taking a bic pen and rubbing the plastic end across, if it makes noise it's bad. Good compliment to the finger nail test.

The results were really interesting in just how close they perform.

Oooo... Building a full Corsair loop?

The days of a poor GPU cold plate are mostly gone. Even blocks with machining marks are still quite smooth to the touch, except when it is REALLY bad as with the time a certain company had to send 3 different samples my way.

EK also has a cheaper EK Classic block which matches Corsair's pricing. Any chance you'll test that one too?
Sadly no, the time I had it and the time I had a compatible GPU did not coincide with each other. This was just a one-off comparison, but will aim for a full series for the next GPU launch cycle.

Don't buy first generation of anything, that includes these blocks.

They leak:

@ 11:40

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Eh, I have had all of one block leak in over 150 blocks tested so far, and none of the 4 Corsair blocks leaked. Don't worry about random possibilities, the chances of any decent block leaking out of the box is very low.

Eh, I have had all of one block leak in over 150 blocks tested so far, and none of the 4 Corsair blocks leaked. Don't worry about random possibilities, the chances of any decent block leaking out of the box is very low.

It's not about will you get a block that leak or not. They are flawed by design and all are prone to leaking, the question is when. He explains it very clearly.

Now, would you pay 150 or something gbp to short out all your system is up to you. I'll wait for second iteration.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It's not about will you get a block that leak or not. They are flawed by design and all are prone to leaking, the question is when. He explains it very clearly.

Now, would you pay 150 or something gbp to short out all your system is up to you. I'll wait for second iteration.

O-ring seals are not really a ticking time bomb like this though. It would either leak or it won't, as long as the O-ring is intact. Of course, they can dry up over time depending on environmental conditions, but you will see a leak almost immediately if there was one.

Again, keep in mind that small sample sizes are not meant for inference across a whole. If it was, my sample size would mean 100% leak-proof products here, which is not the case as that video and a few others showed. For what it's worth, the first Corsair GPU block here I did subject to a stricter air pressure test and it held 2 bar fine.

EK and Corsair, in that order, are the two LAST brands I would be looking at for a WB... just saying

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
You call this a comparison test??? WTF!!!! you didn't show any results from these blocks under load, Use a thermal Scope on or our the Blocks or VRM area's.......This is click bait. Shame!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
The days of a poor GPU cold plate are mostly gone. Even blocks with machining marks are still quite smooth to the touch, except when it is REALLY bad as with the time a certain company had to send 3 different samples my way.

Sadly my EK Radeon VII block was affected by a core contact area that wasn't smooth, and one of the main VRM contact areas was smooth like a file.

The backplate was really bad, it actually had a razor blade of a lip on one side, and the underside was packed with flakes of aluminum. Wet clothe removed most of the flakes but it left the bottom kind of speckled.

I was really disappointed to be honest. EKs response really soured me too. They stopped very short of calling me a liar and were rather rude.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Sadly my EK Radeon VII block was affected by a core contact area that wasn't smooth, and one of the main VRM contact areas was smooth like a file.

The backplate was really bad, it actually had a razor blade of a lip on one side, and the underside was packed with flakes of aluminum. Wet clothe removed most of the flakes but it left the bottom kind of speckled.

I was really disappointed to be honest. EKs response really soured me too. They stopped very short of calling me a liar and were rather rude.

Oh man, I don't blame you if they kept challenging your complaints as a paying customer, however large the language barrier is.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Lol I did miss it. I dunno which is better a thermal camera or scope. I use a scope since I only want to know the temp.

In that case, would it be too much bother to ask you to edit your original post?

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Oh man, I don't blame you if they kept challenging your complaints as a paying customer, however large the language barrier is.

Well their response was, getting a bad block or a bad backplate was possible but getting both bad was impossible.

I took a pile of pictures and they said the block was 'acceptable' to them, and only the razor lip on the back plate was no good.

Luckily for me PPCs warrantied both, I got them to swap the Bitspower block for me. It has some evil design aspects but the surface finishes were smooth at least.

I gave EK another chance, I ordered a nickel plated backplate for the VII from them. It's shiny and unlike the really thin black anondizing, it's not translucent... lol

The issue is that it's covered in the same cutter marks. The cutter marks are because they are pushing the cutter on the CNC to hard so it's tipping and you can see every path it took. So it's definitely not a production error, it's a choice. Their lack of caring about the feedback, there was no language difficulty in that blow off... :-(

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I was wondering if TPU could include a Byiski waterblock review? I am interested to see a professional review of those units.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
I was wondering if TPU could include a Byiski waterblock review? I am interested to see a professional review of those units.

I have tried to ask the sellers on Alibaba if I could get one, but that language barrier is very real.

I did find the official so called Byski storefront on it, once this mess sorts out, I'm either getting a sample or I'll just buy one for testing on my AM4 system.

But mine is only semi-pro... Sooooo... I don't know if that'll help.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member

I did do one each CPU and GPU block before: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/?category=&manufacturer=Bykski&pp=25&order=date, and another GPU block in a similar one-off comparison: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-water-cooling-the-asus-gtx-1080-ti-strix/

Unfortunately, my contact with Bykski left the company shortly after so the language barrier came back in place. Now just as they have a US distributor, I am headed out of the US too :rolleyes:

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I did do one each CPU and GPU block before: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/?category=&manufacturer=Bykski&pp=25&order=date, and another GPU block in a similar one-off comparison: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-water-cooling-the-asus-gtx-1080-ti-strix/

Unfortunately, my contact with Bykski left the company shortly after so the language barrier came back in place. Now just as they have a US distributor, I am headed out of the US too :rolleyes:

Thanks, indeed, they seem to be the cheapest blocks available to buy right now. Based on the reviews it would seem that they are pretty good for what you get.