• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G5 5590 - Throttlestop undervolt not applying

Ardjin

Hi,

First time posting, and sorry it's to potentially ask a silly question, but I really can't figure this out.

Specs, just in case:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650
RAM: 8GB DDR4

I've been using Throttlestop for a few months now, because the G5 does seem to run quite hot, reaching the mid 90 degrees celsius quite easily. I put an undervolt of 134.8 on the cpu and cache, which was quite stable, and dropped thing to about 75 - 80 degrees for most games. I also limited the boost clock to 3.9, as it was shooting up to 4.2 and staying there regardless of a damn thing.

There was a BIOS update a few days ago though, and I noticed the temperatures spiked, so I investigated a bit, and saw the undervolt does not apply anymore. Or doesn't seem to, at least. As the only thing that changed was the BIOS, I rolled it back one patch to where I know it worked, and it simply does not anymore now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Ardjin

Attachments

• Throttlestop 1.jpg
    Throttlestop 1.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 3,793
  • Throttlestop 2.jpg
    Throttlestop 2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 3,653

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The latest Dell BIOS updates disable undervolting. Even going back to the previous BIOS will not get undervolting working.

After going back, some user had success by going into the BIOS and selecting the reset option. Maybe that will work on your laptop. Sad times ahead for many laptop owners.

Here is the reason why laptop manufacturers are doing this.

Edit - The turbo ratio limits are also locked after this microcode update is installed.

Ardjin

Great, so they take away any agency from the consumer and melt our laptops in the process...

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated. I'll see if I can figure out the BIOS stuff, because I can't leave stuff like this.

The latest Dell BIOS updates disable undervolting. Even going back to the previous BIOS will not get undervolting working.

After going back, some user had success by going into the BIOS and selecting the reset option. Maybe that will work on your laptop. Sad times ahead for many laptop owners.

Edit - The turbo ratio limits are also locked after this microcode update is installed.

This helped perfectly. I went back to BIOS update 1.11, restored BIOS defaults, and everything seems like it should be again. Guess this is where I'm staying when it comes to updates.
Thanks a million!

nevernotmaybe

This helped perfectly. I went back to BIOS update 1.11, restored BIOS defaults, and everything seems like it should be again. Guess this is where I'm staying when it comes to updates.
Thanks a million!

In what way did you downgrade the BIOS?

I had the same issue with throttlestop not working anymore, and I found this thread. I downgraded the BIOS directly from Dell, and that didn't work. So I restored bios defaults and the laptop stopped booting, it asked for the system password, went to a blue screen, then just stayed there for about 30s and turned itself off. I tried a few things, in the end I had to use OS recovery and use the fix option that doesn't reset anything and it started booting again.

Now I am on 1.11.1, it boots again, bios is default settings as far as I know (I don't want to use the option again really either just in case it breaks), but undervolting is still not working. And now the screen won't dim before turning off like it did before, and seems to go to sleep much faster than expected or at least it has once so far. I am very confused by what has happened. Just trying to see if I did anything different.

Edit: Yea tried resetting to bios defaults again, broke the laptop again. Had to run OS recovery, fixed it again. Still the same issue. I hope someone figures out a way to do this, the laptop is practically junk without it and at 100 degrees when software is actively doing anything within seconds.

Last edited:

Ardjin

I don't really know what to tell you. I downloaded version 1.11 of the BIOS from the Dell Support website, and installed it. This didn't immediately bring the undervolt back, so on Unclewebb's advice I rebooted into the BIOS menu, and simply had a button at the bottom of the screen which read "restore default settings", that pretty much seemed to do it. I haven't gone above 80°c again, and my undervolt's still applied.

Just for further info, Dell released a patch through the windows updater earlier this week, named Dell, Inc - Firmware 0.1.12.0, which is BIOS update 1.12. Unfortunately I didn't know this, and consequently updated back to 1.12, yet oddly enough, I still have my undervolt. No idea if this is as a consequence of resetting the BIOS settings to default or not.

I am sorry to hear you've had such a terrible time with it though, I hope it gets sorted. Can't help but feel they want our systems to run this hot in order for us to replace the unit sooner when the CPU finally melts.

nevernotmaybe

It was the windows update that caused the issue, that is how I ended up with 1.12 bios.

It got even more confusing since. After my reply I tried 1.10 bios and pretty much went through the same process and it didn't fix it.

I went out for an hour (shopping, under lockdown here so can't go out much or for long), came back still not working. I watched a few things on youtube, temp was a bit high and fans going still not undervolted. Then late last night, hours later, I suddenly realised the laptop was reasonably cool. TS happened to be on because it is still set to start automatically anyway so it is always on, and I opened it not really expecting anything but all the undervolting was listed and working again!?!

I do have one final issue after everything I have done, the second HDD keeps getting stuck on even when the laptop sleeps now, if it is unplugged it is going to be using a lot more power than normal. A new thing to try and fix and drive me crazy. This laptop was an insanely low price on the outlet (plus a special discount and a sale at the time on top), and that is the only reason I can't say I regret it. It is not worth the £1400 it should be new all things considered. I nearly regret it after paying half at £712.

grandpa2390

I don't understand the language in that link. why are the manufacturers are doing this?
Description: Improper conditions check in voltage settings for some Intel(R) Processors may allow a privileged user to potentially enable escalation of privilege and/or information disclosure via local access.

I'm going to try and work this out. It seems they are worried that a privileged user (like myself, the administrator of my laptop), could allow permission and information disclosure by using the laptop (in person) through voltage checks??????????
the downgrade and resetting of the BIOS worked for me btw. :) :) :)

my friend advised me to update the bios and just delete the Throttlestop folder, and unzip it again. I made a copy of the .ini file before I deleted the folder. after unzipping the folder and putting the .ini file into it... everything is working just fine, so far. :). I'm going to keep a copy of the old bios on my ssd just in case though. :)

Last edited:

emics

Hi,
After lot of research, I found a simple way to undervolt my laptop with the last BIOS update. I was able to unlock the voltage settings, without any downgrading.
It works for my G5 5590, may work for the G7 7590, and probably on the previous version also! Let me know if this procedure work for you too!
!! Before any manipulation save all your data !!
- First if you use bitlocker, be sure to suspend the protection of your SSD/HDD, and save the recovery key!
- Go to the BIOS setting by pressing F2 on boot up
- Reset the parameters to "Factory" ( not "Default" )
- Reinstall ThrottleStop or XTU
- Now you can change your voltage parameters through ThrottleStop or Intel XTU!
BIOS: 1.12.0 Feb 2020
Intel microcode: 0xCA Feb 2020

Last edited:

unclewebb

@emics - When you run CPU-Z and click on the Mainboard tab, what BIOS version and date does it show? If you do a reset to Factory, I am thinking that your laptop installed the previous BIOS version.

Look in the ThrottleStop FIVR window on the right hand side. Beside the PowerCut feature it will show you what microcode version your CPU is using. Can you post that version number?

emics

Here it is! It didn't downgrade to the stock BIOS, it just reparameters as factory. The microcode is the last one I think: 0xCA.
dsagfd.png

unclewebb

It didn't downgrade to the stock BIOS
You are right! It shows BIOS 1.12 from Feb 2020 and your screenshot does show Microcode Update 0xCA.

Hopefully more Dell laptop owners can take advantage of this trick and get their under volt working again. The 9750H is a very hot CPU when running at default voltage settings.

xor11

I did this on my G5 5590. Windows 1909 version 18363.720, BIOS 1.12, microcode 0xCA, factory reset to BIOS. No luck.

Yes, the settings show up and are adjustable in Throttlestop with no errors or greyed-out buttons, BUT the settings do not actually change anything. Watching the core voltages shows the changes have absolutely no effect on my system.

emics

What does HWMonitor says about core and cache voltages? And XTU? I've done some benchmark, it run quieter and cooler! I'm no more thermal throttling with the Throttle stop bench! You can see the reason of throttling with the "Limits" button (when you click on the top bar it reset the trigger). The actual voltage can be seen on the top right of FIVR window!

dameh99

I have G5-5590
i5-9300h
gtx 1650
BIOS: 1.12.0
When I play call of duty war zone in cool mode in alienware command center the temp is 90c but there will be FPS drop and the game still lagging but when I change it to Balanced or High performance mode the game works very good but the CPU temp 100c How I can reduce it ? I am thinking about apply thermal paste
I found that undervolting CPU may reduce that temperature
is it safe ? it will affect gaming performance?
how to that ?

unclewebb

@dameh99 - Many users with gaming oriented laptops reduce the cpu core and cpu cache voltage. This can drop temperatures significantly. You can also lower the CPU speed a little since many games are more GPU dependent and not so much CPU dependent. This will also help reduce your system temps.

If these tricks do not solve your problems, changing the thermal paste is next.
is it safe?
ThrottleStop has been helping users maximize the performance of their laptops for 10+ years. Pretty rare to hear a complaint. You can also try using Intel XTU if it supports your processor.
it will affect gaming performance?
It usually improves gaming performance. That is why so many people do it.

Head to YouTube and start watching some videos. There are lots of experts out there that will show you how to use either program and there is always lots of help available on the TechPowerUp forums.

grandpa2390

I was able to undervolt with the last BIOS version, without any downgrading!
Go see my post!
yeah, you just have to reinstall throttlestop. My friend and I suspect that it configs itself to the current BIOS, and when the BIOS gets updated, the config files don't, and then it breaks. so by deleting the folder, unziping a new one, copying in the .ini file and running a fresh throttlestop, it configs itself to the current BIOS.

ProcessedAB

Hello guys, i have the same issue as in my fivr control is not working can someone help me, lenovo support is just garbage
asked them for older bios files, didn't help with anything, I am trying to make it work i don't know what to do
lenovo s340 - 15-IIL
My cpu is i5-1035G1
8gb ddr4
Mx250

Hello guys, i have the same issue as in my fivr control is not working can someone help me, lenovo support is just garbage
asked them for older bios files, didn't help with anything, I am trying to make it work i don't know what to do
lenovo s340 - 15-IIL
My cpu is i5-1035G1
8gb ddr4
Mx250

Is there anyway to help me out cause i seem helpless

grandpa2390

lenovo s340 - 15-IIL
My cpu is i5-1035G1
8gb ddr4
Mx250

Is there anyway to help me out cause i seem helpless
was throttlestop working before the BIOS update? if so, make sure you close out of throttlestop completely. copy the .ini file from your throttlestop folder. delete the throttlestop folder. redownload throttlestop and extract it. check and see if it works (it did for me), and if it does, try copying the .ini file back into the new throttlestop folder and that will put all of your settings back.

ProcessedAB

was throttlestop working before the BIOS update? if so, make sure you close out of throttlestop completely. copy the .ini file from your throttlestop folder. delete the throttlestop folder. redownload throttlestop and extract it. check and see if it works (it did for me), and if it does, try copying the .ini file back into the new throttlestop folder and that will put all of your settings back.

I wasn't using throttlestop before then, so I am not sure, any help

emics

I wasn't using throttlestop before then, so I am not sure, any help
Can you give us which Intel's microcode is running in you laptop? You can find that on Intel XTU -> System Information -> Processor -> Microcode Update.

ProcessedAB

Can you give us which Intel's microcode is running in you laptop? You can find that on Intel XTU -> System Information -> Processor -> Microcode Update.
1587388797910.png

can't use intel xtu so throttlestop is my choice

emics

I think this microcode doesn't lock the voltage control. Only the last one 0xCA is eventually locking the voltage control against the plundervolt vulnerability.. Lenovo may have locked this by default.

unclewebb

Different CPU families use different microcode numbering schemes. You can only compare the microcode version number with similar CPUs. A 1035G1 uses different microcode numbering compared to the 8750H or 9750H.

Last edited:

ProcessedAB

I think this microcode doesn't lock the voltage control. Only the last one 0xCA is eventually locking the voltage control against the plundervolt vulnerability.. Lenovo may have locked this by default.
so basically i am screwed

i can't find anything to help me with this matter

Thank you very much For councils! The DELL G7 7790 laptop version 1.12.0 bios blocks core voltage was rolled away on version 1.11.0. Everything earned perfectly