• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vega Frontier Edition to Pro WX-9100 via Bios Flash?

Bengineer

For my workload, it would be ideal to have pro CERTIFIED drivers in my PC for not-pro-certified prices, and found a Vega FE online and might pick one up.
Vega FE and the WX-9100 have the same GPU (architecture, process node, model #), same Memory configuration (all HBM/GDDR-- cards are ECC), and the same VRM.
This effort isn't pointless: Even though the Vega FE pro mode is great, the WX9100 is significantly better at many workloads and consumes 50W less power.
The WX-9100 pro drivers won't work on Vega FE as it stands, but can you simply flash the Vega FE with WX-9100 bios and then install the certified drivers?
There are countless posts of proud owners claiming success with flashing Vega 64 to FE for better performance. If this doesn't work out I might do that.

I was looking on a similar forum: and a user said bios flashes don't work across cards with different video outputs.
For a second, I thought this mission was a lost cause, but I saw someone else flash Vega FE 8gb bios on the Gigabyte Vega 64 OC, a card with 6 video outputs, 2 more than the reference version.
This may mean that the "video output incompatibility" is incorrect.

So the question still stands: Can WX-9100 16gb Bios flash to the Vega Frontier Edition?
And if not, why? Is there anything I'm missing?
It'd be great to hear your thoughts...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
For my workload, it would be ideal to have pro CERTIFIED drivers in my PC for not-pro-certified prices, and found a Vega FE online and might pick one up.
Vega FE and the WX-9100 have the same GPU (architecture, process node, model #), same Memory configuration (all HBM/GDDR-- cards are ECC), and the same VRM.
This effort isn't pointless: Even though the Vega FE pro mode is great, the WX9100 is significantly better at many workloads and consumes 50W less power.
The WX-9100 pro drivers won't work on Vega FE as it stands, but can you simply flash the Vega FE with WX-9100 bios and then install the certified drivers?
There are countless posts of proud owners claiming success with flashing Vega 64 to FE for better performance. If this doesn't work out I might do that.

I was looking on a similar forum: and a user said bios flashes don't work across cards with different video outputs.
For a second, I thought this mission was a lost cause, but I saw someone else flash Vega FE 8gb bios on the Gigabyte Vega 64 OC, a card with 6 video outputs, 2 more than the reference version.

So the question still stands: Can WX-9100 16gb Bios flash to the Vega Frontier Edition?

No need to flash

For the FE card or WX9100 use this driver.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Firstly I thought it was the wx8100 that was Vega second it's excruciatingly difficult to bias flash to a frontier but impossible to flash the wx bios, they're heftily write protected, you can't force flash, I tried.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Doesnt Vega Frontier Edition lack the professional-level driver certification that the Radeon Pro WX-9100 has

They released that driver to support the cards properly, it is in the list, use and enjoy.

@theoneandonlymrk is right, don't bother

Anakro

Hi, No offense, but I didn't find those answers all that helpful.
No reasoning was given as to why just using the mentioned drivers was the solution.
Totally disregarded OP.

AMD's remote workstation specifically won't work with Vega Frontier because it's not their Pro Certified class.
Which is complete product manager crap.
I have many frontiers and would love to be able to upgrade the usability of my hardware.
I don't game, I do CAD, remote computing, hackintoshing etc.

I would love it if someone could actually address the OP.
I made an account just to make this response btw.
I'll stick around and be active, but I thought this was an awesome post.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
It appears Vega Frontier Edition have the same driver package as the WX 9000 series:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prof...eries/radeon-vega-frontier-edition-air-cooled

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prof.../radeon-pro-wx-x100-series/radeon-pro-wx-9100

Sometimes however, appearances can be deceiving. There aren't many users on the forums with "Pro" cards to provide feedback. If you can't use that feature, try looking at the driver files (.INF), maybe it can be modded, or installed manually.

If you want to be brave and attempt to crossflash to WX 9100:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...9100&interface=&memType=&memSize=16384&since=

Use flash instructions from this thread, and recovery, if something goes wrong.

I suggest you get a cheap SPI programmer like CH341A first. Makes things easier.

Anakro

Thanks for the reply regeneration. You clearly have next level knowledge which I appreciate.
So let me ask a few things before I add to my rabbit hole research list.
But first a note. Starting with a "LOL". I already bought a CH341A for my 06 WRX ECU. It's funny that this is another application.
I didn't end up using it. I paid COBB $200 with a mail in service instead. I had flashed my 05 Outback XT to it and that destroyed it.
Amazing cross over in my life with this. Who else is a car and computer nerd here??? :)

So .INF... this is the most interesting to me. Can you give me some quick language on this for me? Like is this a sort of configuration file?
Where would I find that for each card to compare? Am I even on the right track with that question?

I could, and I may try the wx9100:VFE BIOS flash, but... Whats your guess on the viability of doing it? Hardware or feature wise, I can see the main difference aside from different PCB layout is that it's an ECC version. However I have hope in the possibility of success with my limited knowledge that ECC generally leverages existing memory percentages to handle parity for the remaining memory. I don't know if the wx9100 has the same hardware with BIOS controlled memory parity.
Gotta change a diaper now.
Thanks

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM

Both cards are very similar. You suppose to get the same features.

If you extract the AMD driver, you can navigate and install packages (MSI) manually. If you look at the INF files in \Packages\Drivers\Display, and XML in \Config, you could see exactly what being installed and for which card. Search for product name or device ID (6863).

You already getting most of the Pro features. Not sure its worth your time.