• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting with Throttlestop

System Name Illegear Raven SE R
Processor Core i7 9750h 9th Gen
Memory 16gb DDR4 Single Channel
Video Card(s) RTX 2060-MaxQ
Storage Samsung SSD 500GB
Display(s) 144 hertz IPS
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Cinema
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Software Throttlestop
Hello, Im a new member here. First of all sorry for my bad english cause im from Malaysia, so I cant really speak in english. The reason why Im here is my laptop which is Illegear Raven SE-R (Stock undervolt -0.50 at BIOS and I do change it to -0.100v) idle temperature always stay above 55 to 70. Im not sure what the problem is. At throttlestop setting, I only set the temperature indicator at the taskbar one, then untick BD Prochot, speedshift set to 0. At FIVR setting, no change apply. TPL also by default. So can help me solve why the idle temperature is 55 above. Thanks, and let me know if you guys want to see picture. Windows are up to date.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    652.8 KB · Views: 702
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    657.5 KB · Views: 728

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Your idle temps are high because you have too many programs running in the background on your computer. In the Task Manager, click on the Details tab and then click on the CPU heading so you can see what is running on your computer. Windows 10 is not a problem as long as you understand how to set it up. A clean computer needs to spend hardly anytime in the C0 state processing all of the Windows 10 background tasks, including ThrottleStop.

You need to get your C0% number WAY down.

The BIOS in your computer did not enable Speed Shift. If you want your computer to use Speed Shift, you need to go into the TPL window and check the Speed Shift box and you need to check the box below that one, Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts.

After you do this, press OK and on the main ThrottleStop screen you should see SST in green.
This confirms that Speed Shift is now working.

Post some screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows if you want some more advice.

Display(s) 144 hertz IPS
Software Throttlestop
Okay I will try to apply this setting and see how it goes. Anything I will reply back. Thank you for the apply, really appreciate it.

Display(s) 144 hertz IPS
Software Throttlestop
Hell unclewebb, okay now I have apply the setting. Here my screenshot for FIVR and TPL and current program running. Temperature idle got lower 55 above, but the problem is Throttlestop now not start on log on. I also provide the snapshot of task scheduler. Please advice, thanks.

(Edited - I just saw the C0% is at 99.1 when only Chrome is open. Is that normal?)

Attachments

• 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    262.6 KB · Views: 482
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    81 KB · Views: 511
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    428 KB · Views: 432
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    388.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    119.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 8.PNG
    8.PNG
    513.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 9.PNG
    9.PNG
    83.2 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:

unclewebb

Throttlestop now not start on log on
You will have less problems if you follow the Task Scheduler Guide.

I just saw the C0% is at 99.1 when only Chrome is open. Is that normal?
It is not normal at all. Your CPU is being fully utilized. Maybe you have a miner running in the background or some other virus.

The 9750H has a 45 Watt TDP rating. Why did you adjust both of the turbo power limits in ThrottleStop to 24 Watts? Your settings are forcing your CPU to constantly throttle.

Display(s) 144 hertz IPS
Software Throttlestop
You will have less problems if you follow the Task Scheduler Guide.

It is not normal at all. Your CPU is being fully utilized. Maybe you have a miner running in the background or some other virus.

The 9750H has a 45 Watt TDP rating. Why did you adjust both of the turbo power limits in ThrottleStop to 24 Watts? Your settings are forcing your CPU to constantly throttle.

ahhh i see, thats why. I change to 24 because i follow one video at youtube before.

Okay so now temp idle is 43 at C0% 3 below. You really helped me alot. But wanna confirm again at TPL setting here. All good? { sorry if picture taken low quality because i use my phone to snap }

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 448

unclewebb

Good job following the advice I gave you. Lower C0% when idle is the easiest way to get your temperatures down. Keep an eye on that number. Whenever you see a big change in C0% when idle, that is a sign that something is running in the background on your computer. The C0% data comes directly from the CPU. It will indicate problems that the Windows Task Manager might not detect.

The default power limits for your computer might be something like 45W for long and 60W for the short power limit. Similar computers use limits like 60W for long and 80W or 90W for the short power limit. Increasing the power limits allows your CPU to run faster for longer periods of time. You can set these limits however you like. Your laptop has good cooling so I would increase these power limits beyond the default Intel spec so you get better performance out of your laptop.

If you want to find out what power limit values your laptop manufacturer uses by default, reboot and before running ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. You can also rename this file to BackUp.INI or something like that. When you start ThrottleStop, if it does not find the ThrottleStop.INI file, it will read the default power limit values directly from your CPU. Very few laptops with the 9750H are using the Intel default power limit values.

Your laptop manufacturer reduced the Intel recommended thermal throttling temperature from 100°C down to 95°C. That will keep your CPU at a safe temperature. If your CPU ever gets too hot, it will slow down to prevent any damage before it reaches the Intel 100°C throttling spec. No worries about increasing the power limits. Your laptop will take care of itself.

Edit - Setting the Speed Shift Max value to 38 will limit the maximum speed of your CPU. I assume you already know that. Default Speed Shift Max value is 45. PP0 Current Limit is usually at 130.

Display(s) 144 hertz IPS
Software Throttlestop
Good job following the advice I gave you. Lower C0% when idle is the easiest way to get your temperatures down. Keep an eye on that number. Whenever you see a big change in C0% when idle, that is a sign that something is running in the background on your computer. The C0% data comes directly from the CPU. It will indicate problems that the Windows Task Manager might not detect.

The default power limits for your computer might be something like 45W for long and 60W for the short power limit. Similar computers use limits like 60W for long and 80W or 90W for the short power limit. Increasing the power limits allows your CPU to run faster for longer periods of time. You can set these limits however you like. Your laptop has good cooling so I would increase these power limits beyond the default Intel spec so you get better performance out of your laptop.

If you want to find out what power limit values your laptop manufacturer uses by default, reboot and before running ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. You can also rename this file to BackUp.INI or something like that. When you start ThrottleStop, if it does not find the ThrottleStop.INI file, it will read the default power limit values directly from your CPU. Very few laptops with the 9750H are using the Intel default power limit values.

Your laptop manufacturer reduced the Intel recommended thermal throttling temperature from 100°C down to 95°C. That will keep your CPU at a safe temperature. If your CPU ever gets too hot, it will slow down to prevent any damage before it reaches the Intel 100°C throttling spec. No worries about increasing the power limits. Your laptop will take care of itself.

Edit - Setting the Speed Shift Max value to 38 will limit the maximum speed of your CPU. I assume you already know that. Default Speed Shift Max value is 45. PP0 Current Limit is usually at 130.

Yes I do know about the speed shift one. I dont want to set it to max yet. Sorry for the late reply, today I format my laptop and found out that before my window corrupt with latest update where Window Defender suddenly not working like being blank. For now all good, but my question is, I follow all the thing you advice me but was wondering why current idle temp different compared before format? (before is 48 to 43 low, while now is 59 below) Here I provide my current Throttlestop. Do note that only steam is running on background.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    131.3 KB · Views: 463
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    81.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    242.9 KB · Views: 435