• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte AX370-gaming won't boot with new OLOy Ram

DJNELLYFRESH

Hey all,

I am not the most educated when it comes to computers so this might be a really stupid mistake and I would appreciate some guidance. I have a Gigabyte ax370-gaming board with a Ryzen 7 1700x processor. it currently has 16gbs of ram. I saw on the gigbyte website that it can go up to 64 gigs and I'd like to increase it up to that. So I went to pcpartpicker and entered in the motherboard and the processor and saw what sort of ram I could use. I thought it was trustworthy, but now I'm doubtful. I saw newegg was having a sale on OLOy ram and while yes I know they're more of cheaper brand I'd heard they work for the most part and so I went with it. I picked up 4x16gbs sticks. When I put them in though, the computer won't start. I tried only putting 1 in, still won't boot. It boots just fine when I put back in the old sticks which leads me to the conclusion it's the sticks. Can someone confirm or tell me if there is something obvious between these two types of memory that could lead to it not being compatible? if they are compatible then I'll need to go back to newegg for replacements but before going through that I thought I'd post here. Also I am aware that the timings are different, but I'd read that if your ram is faster than the CPU supports then it will just be downclocked which I was okay with. Thank you so much for you help!

motherboard - Gigabyte ax370 gaming
CPU - Ryzen 7 1700x

old sticks (currently what works.) Ripjaw PC4-19200 8Gx1 DDR4-2400 CL17-17-17-39 1.20v
new sticks (does NOT work.) OLOy PC4-24000 16Gx1 DDR4-3000mhz c16-18-18-36 1.35v

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Have you disabled XMP and or reset the BIOS to default too atleast see if they boot vanilla?

If not try that, then attempt two sticks at a time until you find a pair that cause the machine not to start. Then only try 1 stick at a time.

DJNELLYFRESH

Have you disabled XMP and or reset the BIOS to default too atleast see if they boot vanilla?

If not try that, then attempt two sticks at a time until you find a pair that cause the machine not to start. Then only try 1 stick at a time.
I haven't but I can give that a try. But if you don't mind me asking - do you see anything between the two stats that jumps out at you as incompatible?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I haven't but I can give that a try. But if you don't mind me asking - do you see anything between the two stats that jumps out at you as incompatible?

Nope all seems JDEC standard too me. Its worth noting first gen ryzen 1xxx had serious ram compatibility issues.

Might be worth it before all the heart ache of ripping everything out and testing, to do any FW/BIOS upgrades they have available for your model if you haven't yet.

DJNELLYFRESH

Okay thank you for your help! I'll see what I can do and will try to update the thread. Thanks!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Once Live Only You RAM?

Sounds like a proper Asian translation of yolo... sorry I couldn't help but wonder.

DJNELLYFRESH

So after attempting to flash the bios the computer wouldn't boot up. It finished the bios update all the way to 100%, but then wouldn't reboot. I tried pulling the motherboard battery and letting it reset, I tried getting it to boot into the secondary bios (but I think it was already using the secondary bios) and that didn't work so I eventually came to the conclusion the motherboard was a goner. It had some prior issues before all this with the motherboard so I was already thinking it was on the backup bios that Gigabyte builds in. I bought the computer second hand so I also don't know what happened before me.

Anyway I bought an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING motherboard from Bestbuy and installed it last night with a new SSD and a new install of Windows. Transferred the Ryzen and the OLOy ram and it's working great now. The new OLOy ram seems to be totally fine - although I haven't stress tested it yet. Gonna try and transfer back my data from my old HD's to the new comp. Thanks for your help!