• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Defends DM-SMR on WD Red HDDs, Points Users to WD Red Pro or WD Gold

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Western Digital gave its first response to allegations of the company implementing SMR (shingled magnetic recording) on its WD Red internal hard drives without properly documenting it. The WD Red series is extensively marketed as being "NAS optimized," which caused many NAS and RAID DAS enthusiasts to pick it up for home-office use, only to discover that the company's implementation of drive-managed SMR (DM-SMR) makes them effectively unfit for RAID use, as DM-SMR is vital for some of the higher-capacity WD Red models to achieve their nameplate capacity, while coming at a heavy cost of random write performance.

"SMR is tested and proven technology that enables us to keep up with the growing volume of data for personal and business use. We are continuously innovating to advance it. SMR technology is implemented in different ways - drive-managed SMR (DMSMR), on the device itself, as in the case of our lower capacity (2 TB - 6 TB) WD Red HDDs, and host-managed SMR, which is used in high-capacity data center applications. Each implementation serves a different use case, ranging from personal computing to some of the largest data centers in the world.," Western Digital writes.

Western Digital explains that the WD Red family of HDDs were designed for smaller-scale home-office NAS applications - "one to eight bays" in scale, with workload rate of 180 TB/year. The company states that the drives have been tested and validated by major NAS manufacturers - a response to the SMR controversy blowing up on NAS manufactrurers' support forums.

Western Digital was vague about how it plans to make up to aggrieved WD Red users. It points them to their support site, stating "We know you entrust your data to our products, and we don't take that lightly. If you have purchased a WD Red drive, please call our customer care if you are experiencing performance or any other technical issues. We will have options for you."

The company pointed serious NAS customers (applications of a scale higher than mentioned), to consider WD Red Pro, WD Gold, or even Ultrastar enterprise HDDs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
sounds like backpedalling....

looks like backpedalling.....

smells like backpedalling.....

Guess what: it IS backpedalling....

Shame on you WD, tsk tsk tsk :(

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

Actually it sounds like they are standing their ground, which is worse.

And to think of it, how blindly I was sworing by the Red... :eek:

I guess the time for enterprise-grade SSD storage has come. I was in doubt what to get - Ultrastar or some beefy SSD. Thanks for making it easier for me, WD (and all the rest of the liars).

Someone is over-reacting.

I have no problem with the use of the technology, only that it should be disclosed along with performance specs. It's as simple as that.

Actually it sounds like they are standing their ground, which is worse.
Not really. WD should have disclosed it, true, but it's not like its a design flaw. It's a type of recording tech that is used reliably and without fail.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Not really. WD should have disclosed it, true, but it's not like its a design flaw. It's a type of recording tech that is used reliably and without fail.

It's the marketing targeting. They have always positioned Red for RAID going back to the line it derived from, "RAID Edition." I mean it used to literally be called that.

They needed to clear the air more. Is it huge? No. But an SMR drive being a Red is a bigger deal than any other drive being SMR.

I don't think they addressed the issue where they silently switched technology here without even any announcement or indication of the change. Just as I mentioned, such tactics is basically (1) to cut cost further, and (2) drive people to get the higher end drives. Its a dirty way of doing business. I am glad we are moving away from mechanical drives. With next gen consoles also moving to SSD, demand for mechanical drives will drop even further.

Brane2

No one argues about SMR beig tested.

People are pissed off because it was being smuggled into a product that contained none before.
It should have been announced and clearly marked on a box.

This smells as another class-action lawsuit...

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC

I have no problem with the use of the technology, only that it should be disclosed along with performance specs. It's as simple as that.

if a tech has a regression vs what its replacing, its called a flaw, sometimes flaws are considered worth accepting, but that view may not be universal, for that reason this should be disclosed on the specs.

Do I think 20% capacity is worth it for destroyed random writes? personally no. Especially when its on a drive I know can be manufactured with CMR, and its only SMR to increase profits.

It is a bit like the QLC vs TLC arguments, QLC only offers a small increase in capacity, with some quite nasty downsides. Yet we getting consumers buying QLC drives because they naive to the technical changes (newer is better).

There is no over-reacting. WD stopped putting this data in it's information quite a while ago for a reason... and it wasn't to be transparent to the consumer, it was to hide the fact that the drives had switched from CMR to SMR. I've made a point to research every drive I purchase to avoid this because of write times and reliability, starting when Seagate quietly switched... and while I don't purchase their stuff because of reliability issues for my use, they at least had it in the product description. While there isn't a problem with SMR if it fits the use case, I regularly purchase WD's drives and they made a regressive change that needed to be in the product description. Going from conventional to shingled in an NAS drive is a flaw. It's the same thing with SSDs listed as MLC in a search, but describing the MLC as 3-bit in the fine print.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This has basically been WD's method for a few years now. They have slowly been rebranding lower quality product into their higher products.

Just some examples: The WD Green 5400RPM drives were rebranded WD Blue. The old 7200RPM Blue drives are now pushed up to WD Black. The old dual-processor WD Black drives are gone as far as I can tell. Now they using SMR designs that were their lowest cost Archive drives and have bumped those up to Red.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I checked the 3tb red they sent me to replace a failed drive a few months back and thankfully it has the CMR serial on it.
Also the 4tb red I purchased around the same time is CMR also luckily.

if a tech has a regression vs what its replacing, its called a flaw
No it isn't. Please review;
Do I think 20% capacity is worth it for destroyed random writes? personally no.
Opinion. Writes to disk of the truly "random" variety happen very infrequently and thus do not greatly affect overall performance. Contextual perspective is important.
to avoid this because of write times and reliability
Writes, maybe, see above. Reliablity? Nonsense. SMR is perfectly reliable.
starting when Seagate quietly switched...
Rubbish. SMR was announced almost a decade ago and very publicly. No one is "hiding" anything.

Take the tinhats off people and quit with the WD bashing, you're embarrassing yourselves..

System Name maipc
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz / 1.16v
Motherboard Asus vii hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Hyperx fury 1866 / CL10
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8GB
Storage 1TB 860EVO + 1TB 860EVO + 4TB WD Red + 4TB WD Red
Display(s) Asus VG259QM (1080p IPS 240Hz)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 6
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-650
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE
Software Win 10 64bit
The SMR technology is public for a long time but the drive makers do not mention that a drive uses SMR on the spec sheet. Many consumers can't make a good purchasing decision since this information is not easily available. SMR drives can be a lot slower in certaion situations so the manufacturer should put this info out. Then the customer can decicide to get a more expensive regular drive or a cheaper SMR, depening on their requirements.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Mortar
Cooling ARCTIC COOLING Liquid Freezer II 240
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra, 08G-P4-2287-KR, 8GB GDDR6
Storage 1 x Samsung 980 PRO 500G | 1 x Mushkin Enhanced Pilot-E M.2 2280 2TB | 2 x 1TB WD10EADS
Display(s) 1 x ASUS ROG PG259QNR, 1 x Dell ST2421L
Case Lian Li O11D MINI-X
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis 5
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS SGX-650, 650W
Mouse Mionix NAOS QG
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro 21H1
This has basically been WD's method for a few years now. They have slowly been rebranding lower quality product into their higher products.

Just some examples: The WD Green 5400RPM drives were rebranded WD Blue. The old 7200RPM Blue drives are now pushed up to WD Black. The old dual-processor WD Black drives are gone as far as I can tell. Now they using SMR designs that were their lowest cost Archive drives and have bumped those up to Red.

Speaking of rebrands (though unsure if this counts), what about Hitachi's (HGST) Ultrastar line when WD bought their hard drive business? Did anything with the Ultrastar line change in a technical perspective? I am fairly certain that the Ultrastar line does not use SMR as these are enterprise grade drives, but I could not find any confirmation on WD's site in their datasheet or manual. My company used HGST drives in their servers with great success in the past. If anyone could clarify this, I would really appreciate it. Before posting I needed a refresher when WD acquired HGST, which I found was in 2012. It was not until 2018 that they dropped the HGST branding from the drives, so maybe nothing changed? I am astonished it has been that long since the acquisition.

On a side-note regarding the WD Green drives, I never knew they were rebranded Blue drives. Maybe I was distracted from the 'Intellipower' (variable RPMs) WD was mentioning with those drives, therefore assuming they were different drives altogether. Other than that they were the same as stated? Thanks.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
This is disgusting and the only thing that can be done is stop buying their crap.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Opinion. Writes to disk of the truly "random" variety happen very infrequently and thus do not greatly affect overall performance. Contextual perspective is important.

It happens quite a bit during a RAID rebuild or OCE or ORLM. We aren't talking about single storage drives here.

No one is "hiding" anything.

If they weren't hiding anything, they'd list it in the specs. That's the argument we are making here. If SMR is fine, higher capacities are nice, but on a product that is marketed to be used in RAID environments it needs to be disclosed that it is using SMR.

ALSO, WD's original response when asked about the SMR Red drives was to deny that they even made SMR drives with the exception of their 20TB Enterprise drive that won't be in the consumer market. So yes, they are very much trying to hide that their drives use SMR.

I checked the 3tb red they sent me to replace a failed drive a few months back and thankfully it has the CMR serial on it.
Also the 4tb red I purchased around the same time is CMR also luckily.

Crap, you reminded me that I had two 4TB Reds sitting on my desk that I just bought. I checked and both are SMR...fuck! Thank god I didn't try to deploy them into the RAID arrays. It probably would have failed during the OCE leaving the array degraded.

Last edited:
It happens quite a bit during a RAID rebuild or OCE or ORLM.
True, but often does that happen? Personally, the last time I has to rebuild a RAID5 array was many years ago. RAID has become VERY reliable.
If SMR is fine, higher capacities are nice, but on a product that is marketed to be used in RAID environments it needs to be disclosed that it is using SMR.
Agreed, it should be disclosed, by ALL HDD makers not just WD. WD is not the only offender on this point.
ALSO, WD's original response when asked about the SMR Red drives was to deny that they even made SMR drives
Citation?

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
SMR is garbage technology and I will never buy another SMR hard drive. Shame on Western Digital.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
True, but often does that happen? Personally, the last time I has to rebuild a RAID5 array was many years ago. RAID has become VERY reliable.

The reliability of RAID doesn't matter, the reliability of the drives matter here. And it only has to happen once for you to be f'ed. Hell, I'm rebuilding a RAID5 array right now.

Plus there is the issues of OCE or ORLM, both of which would have very bad problems if you decided to add one of these new RED drives to an array. Can you just imagine someone who is running out of space on the RAID5 array, so they pick up another "matching" 4TB WD RED drive to expand their array, only to have the OCE fail and now they are sitting with a critical array with no redundancy until they get another 4TB drive to put in the array. Oh, so they think they just happened to get a bad drive, and return it for a new one, then that one fails too. They are left wondering why they keep putting in new drives only to have the OCE fail and their array sits critical one drive failure away from losing all their data. And since an OCE/ORLM is basically a rebuild, it has a higher chance of another drive dying during the process.

Agreed, it should be disclosed, by ALL HDD makers not just WD. WD is not the only offender on this point.

It would be nice if it was always disclosed, but it only needs to be disclosed on products designed for RAID/NAS use.

Also note that Seagate has made a statement that they will never use SMR in a NAS/RAID product.

Citation?

When the issue was first brought to WD's attention a representative named Yemi Elegunde, an enterprise and channel sales manager for Western Digital UK, stated:

Just a quick note. The only SMR drive that Western Digital will have in production is our 20TB hard enterprise hard drives and even these will not be rolled out into the channel.

All of our current range of hard drives are based on CMR Conventional Magnetic Recording.

With SMR Western Digital would make it very clear as that format of hard drive requires a lot of technological tweaks in customer systems.

It's in the original smartmontool's ticket.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I guess someone could sue WD over that lie.

Writes, maybe, see above. Reliablity? Nonsense. SMR is perfectly reliable.

It's not that SMR isn't reliable, it's that SMR is not as reliable as CMR with all else being equal. Seagate wasn't advertising SMR in it's drives as a selling point. That information was quietly buried in the fine print, but at least it was available in the product information. It's also tin foil, not tin.

It's not that SMR isn't reliable, it's that SMR is not as reliable as CMR with all else being equal.
Rubbish. SMR is perfectly reliable. It's just slower and not by much, there is no other issue.
Seagate wasn't advertising SMR in it's drives as a selling point. That information was quietly buried in the fine print, but at least it was available in the product information. It's also tin foil, not tin.
Semantics.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Rubbish. SMR is perfectly reliable. It's just slower and not by much, there is no other issue.

Bull. In this application, they are regularly significantly slower. To the point of being unsable for what they are advertised for.