• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT drivers update issues

Artisithick

Hi,

I just built my own PC. It went pretty good so far until I updated my GPU'S driver to its latest version. Before the update, I didn't have any issues booting up directly to the desktop but after I installed the latest driver version the PC will do no POST and the VGA light on the motherboard will lit on. I already check all the power cables, reseated the RAM and GPU but still no good results. Is this a common issues with RX 5600 XT? Please let me know if yes could you please tell me how did you resolve this? Thanks!

Attachments

• 97943412_2717233421831936_7445815193369575424_n.jpg
    97943412_2717233421831936_7445815193369575424_n.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 471
System Name BloodRage
Processor R5 2600X PBO enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite
Cooling Arctic Esports Duo
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000
Video Card(s) MSI VENTUS OC 2060 Super
Storage 120GB PNY SATA + 1TB WD Blue M.2
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT cheap chassis
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy FX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III Gold 650w
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Red Dragon Kumara
Software Win 10
What is your total computer spec?

Also what settings have you changed in the bios if any?

Artisithick

Thanks for your quick response!

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3600x
Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
B450 Aorus Pro Wifi ver.1
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 Xt
G. Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB DDR4
Western Digital Blue SN 550 1TB nvme SSD
Windows 10 Pro 1909
I tried to install the later version of Windows too 1809 thinking it was a software incompatibility together with the later version of the GPU driver but nothing worked.
And I didn't touch anything from my BIOS before updating the GPU.

System Name BloodRage
Processor R5 2600X PBO enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite
Cooling Arctic Esports Duo
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000
Video Card(s) MSI VENTUS OC 2060 Super
Storage 120GB PNY SATA + 1TB WD Blue M.2
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT cheap chassis
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy FX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III Gold 650w
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Red Dragon Kumara
Software Win 10
Thanks for your quick response!

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3600x
Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
B450 Aorus Pro Wifi ver.1
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 Xt
G. Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB DDR4
Western Digital Blue SN 550 1TB nvme SSD
Windows 10 Pro 1909
I tried to install the later version of Windows too 1809 thinking it was a software incompatibility together with the later version of the GPU driver but nothing worked.
And I didn't touch anything from my BIOS before updating the GPU.
Sorry for such a delay, if you can, can you reset your CMOS?

If this persists, it may be wise to install a different video card to see if it runs.

Artisithick

I will try that!

Thanks!

Actually I do remember resetting the CMOS from my motheboard using a jumper. Didn't work anyway. Do you think I can still play a game without updating my video card?

System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
System Name Vengeance-C
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 mATX
Cooling BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 48GB (2x16GB / 2x8GB) DDR4-3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6600 (Swift 210)
Storage Samsun 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme / Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK 34" 1500R Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440)
Case Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5 Plus PCIe
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w
Mouse steelseries Rival 100
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse III
Software Windows 11 Pro & Fedora via Hyper-V
Because
Just buy a Nvidia card.

that will help their computer POST now? :slap:

Simpling updating the drivers will not cause the system to no longer POST. You are having a hardware issue somewhere. Perhaps your power supply bit the dust? Its hard to say, but it is not directly related to a driver update.

Artisithick

Just buy a Nvidia card.
I should have! If I only knew it will give me problems like this.

Because

that will help their computer POST now? :slap:

Simpling updating the drivers will not cause the system to no longer POST. You are having a hardware issue somewhere. Perhaps your power supply bit the dust? Its hard to say, but it is not directly related to a driver update.
Hi,

I Just built it two weeks ago. I have already troubleshot the power cables, rams sticks, memory and gpu. I was able to go to the desktop but after passing to BIOS even without doing anything and just SAVE and EXIT. The computer will restart and will boot directly to windows desktop. I was able to play cs go too! But after I turn off the PC for several hours I will have to do the same procedure again.

Turn on PC> NO POST > Turn off PC with the Power Button> Delete > BIOS> Save and Exit or Exit and Restart > Desktop > PC works great for hours > Shutdown after using it. It's a loop.

System Name Vengeance-C
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 mATX
Cooling BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 48GB (2x16GB / 2x8GB) DDR4-3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6600 (Swift 210)
Storage Samsun 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme / Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK 34" 1500R Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440)
Case Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5 Plus PCIe
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w
Mouse steelseries Rival 100
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse III
Software Windows 11 Pro & Fedora via Hyper-V
That is an unusual issue. My only suggestion is to try another power supply if you have access to one and perhaps update the BIOS. I would only update the BIOS though if I knew 150% for sure that your power supply is good. It is possible that PG signal is out of spec, or the 12v rail is unstable. Hopefully someone else has some other suggestions, but to me, it sounds power related

Artisithick

That is an unusual issue. My only suggestion is to try another power supply if you have access to one and perhaps update the BIOS. I would only update the BIOS though if I knew 150% for sure that your power supply is good. It is possible that PG signal is out of spec, or the 12v rail is unstable. Hopefully someone else has some other suggestions, but to me, it sounds power related
I have updated the BIOS to its latest. F50 version. My friend thought the same thing too regarding the PSU. My PSU is EVGA 650 BQ 80 PLUS Bronze and it's new. Probably it's PG signal or 12 v rail unstable.

Thanks you guys for all your comments. I will give an update regarding this issue!

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
PSU sounds reasonable. 3600X on a B450 original BIOS could easily have been causing you issues.

Run Furmark now. Push the system and see if it's stable.

System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
What says the LED indicator on the card?
1589485324133.png

Light on :
power cable disconnected

Light off :
stable power supply

Blinking :
abnormal power supply

Also does the card has a BIOS switch on it?

Artisithick

What says the LED indicator on the card? View attachment 155217
Light on :
power cable disconnected

Light off :
stable power supply

Blinking :
abnormal power supply

Also does the card has a BIOS switch on it?
Not much..It lights up quickly then turn off. I actually didn't notice the LED indicator on the card after I tried different versions of the GPU driver. It is usually turned off even while I play.

PSU sounds reasonable. 3600X on a B450 original BIOS could easily have been causing you issues.

Run Furmark now. Push the system and see if it's stable.
I knew I had to update the BIOS to version F50 since my processor is a AMD Ryzen 3600x. I thought about that too!! haha

Spooyler

Hi,

What MHz are you runing your RAM? I have the same GPU as you, with almost the same setup, and had issues with posting a couple of times when I turned up the memory speed.
Did you also update vBIOS? Or the chipset drivers?
Is your pci-e set to gen 3 in bios?
It seems like this card acts very differently for everyone, with different issues.
When I updated to the newest drivers the system became very unstable but I could still post. However, if (for some reason) your motherboard won't recognize your GPU right away I guess it is possible it wouldn't load. Correct me if I am wrong of course. I only had this GPU for a month, but seen it do some weird stuff. With a windows reinstall it seems to be a bit more stable with older drivers.

Not much..It lights up quickly then turn off. I actually didn't notice the LED indicator on the card after I tried different versions of the GPU driver. It is usually turned off even while I play.
The led lights up every time I crash and have to restart, so I think reseting the pc always triggers it.

Is it possible for you to try the GPU in a different PC?

Artisithick

Hi,

What MHz are you runing your RAM? I have the same GPU as you, with almost the same setup, and had issues with posting a couple of times when I turned up the memory speed.
Did you also update vBIOS? Or the chipset drivers?
Is your pci-e set to gen 3 in bios?
It seems like this card acts very differently for everyone, with different issues.
When I updated to the newest drivers the system became very unstable but I could still post. However, if (for some reason) your motherboard won't recognize your GPU right away I guess it is possible it wouldn't load. Correct me if I am wrong of course. I only had this GPU for a month, but seen it do some weird stuff. With a windows reinstall it seems to be a bit more stable with older drivers.

The led lights up every time I crash and have to restart, so I think reseting the pc always triggers it.

Is it possible for you to try the GPU in a different PC?
It was running to its factory setting when I first updated the GPU's driver. I never tried yet to update the vBIOS but I did try to install the driver with and without updating the chipset drivers and it still didn't work. Do you think I should update the vBIOS? I never tried that. I will check if my pci-e is set to gen 3 BIOS. I know eh.. The only issue I have is when it's booting up from a several hours without use but if I turn it off after I am able to boot to the Windows desktop it will boot up normally again. I will try other older drivers for this. Thanks for you comment!

Spooyler

It was running to its factory setting when I first updated the GPU's driver. I never tried yet to update the vBIOS but I did try to install the driver with and without updating the chipset drivers and it still didn't work. Do you think I should update the vBIOS? I never tried that. I will check if my pci-e is set to gen 3 BIOS. I know eh.. The only issue I have is when it's booting up from a several hours without use but if I turn it off after I am able to boot to the Windows desktop it will boot up normally again. I will try other older drivers for this. Thanks for you comment!

I wouldn't do vBIOS on this card unless there is no other way. First time I tried I accidentally bricked my GPU. Took hours to get it working again.
If I had to guess, I would put my money on the faulty GPU. Much more likely than a faulty EVGA PSU. But first definitely try the card in an other PC. If it starts up then leave it there at least a day to see if you get crashes.
If you have a spare GPU by any chance throw it in your PC just to make sure it is not some other component.

Hope to hear back. I had lot of issues with this card (not Gigabyte's fault, AMD's in my case) so hope to help anyone who's suffering the rx5600-nightmare.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Don't update BIOS on the graphics card. If there was a BIOS bug, we would know about it.

Try another cable, if its DisplayPort, make sure its a VESA-certified cable.

Try to revert to a previous driver, some are more buggy than the other.

If the issue appears at POST, this is an hardware issue, bad quality PSU or just defective card.

Don't update BIOS on the graphics card. If there was a BIOS bug, we would know about it.

Try another cable, if its DisplayPort, make sure its a VESA-certified cable.

Try to revert to a previous driver, some are more buggy than the other.

If the issue appears at POST, this is an hardware issue, bad quality PSU or just defective card.

The PC doesn't POST. How does using a different monitor cable can help even in theory? The issue is either with the card, PSU or motherboard. There are no other options.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
The PC doesn't POST. How does using a different monitor cable can help even in theory? The issue is either with the card, PSU or motherboard. There are no other options.

Non-certified DisplayPort cable with active DP_PWR pin can shorten the graphics card and entire system.

Bad quality or damaged cable can do that too.

OP said it all started after driver update, so you tell me. Sounds like a faulty card, PSU, or motherboard.

Non-certified DisplayPort cable with active DP_PWR pin and can shorten the graphics card and entire system.

Bad quality or damaged cable can do that too.

OP said it all started after driver update, so you tell me.

Wow, didn't know about that. I've always thought most cables are passive in their nature (except the active ones, which e.g. translate one form signal to another and it's unlikely the OP is using such a cable).

Spooyler

The PC doesn't POST. How does using a different monitor cable can help even in theory?
It does happen that bad quality Displayport cables/ HDMI adapters cause GPU issues. On the other hand I aggree, the issue is probably with one of those components. But why do you think problems started only after driver update, and the PC can POST after a reset?
I stopped using Displayport because my system was much more unstable with it ( based on experience).

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Possible faulty CMOS battery and Dram training affecting boot also.

Artisithick

I don't think any of those have the issue. The monitor is new and so is the DP cable. I tried everything from resetting RAM, GPU, CMOS, controlling all the power cables and updating either the BIOS and the vBIOS and nothing worked to solve the issue. The problem only happens when I install any drivers to the GPU. Without updating the GPU's driver PC works perfectly fine from booting up to it's normal activities without crashing. I should see if the same problem persists to another PC. I tried HDMI cable too before shifting to DP cable same thing. The strange thing is the issue happens only on the booting but after I enter the desktop from BIOS, PC works fine even during heavy games.

Possible faulty CMOS battery and Dram training affecting boot also.
Would that be possible even with a new motherboard? But DRAM LED does it checking normally and turns off after turning on the PC. The VGA light remains on after first boot up. I have to force it to turn off directly from the power button, go to BIOS, Exit without Saving, PC boots normally again to the desktop. If I shut down the PC again and wait a few minutes it will boot up normally. But if I turn it off from 1 hour to several hours it will do NO POST and I will have to do the same procedure.