• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How many of you Radeon 5700 owners have ditched your cards over the drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I've had a good track record with Corsair with their cases. Personally I really liked their Carbide 400R with is incredibly hard to find these days. Which is why I have 3 500R cases. For some reason even though they were expensive for their time the 500R is more prevalent than the 400R. The 750D is a good case. Again if you got a case that can get the heat out asap then you go a winner.

Graphic cards concerning fans. For my reference card it was at 48% of fan speed as it's sweet spot. But you are right I had issues trying to lower down to the 40 to 43% range. I can raise the fan rate higher but after 50% is does sound like a jet engine. Kind of funny actually hearing it take off while I was testing for that sweet spot.

Ahh PSU's one of the few places people kind of scrimp on and/or have no idea on how big or what kind to get. For my current Rig I bought a Rosewill Capstone 850 watt Modular Supply 80+ gold, and I got it for $80. It got good reviews so I picked one up and am happy with it. The same price now, if you can find it is $140.
I like a bit of overkill on my PSU as my watt usage under load is around 312 watts.

NOTE: there has been a current shortage of PSU's currently. This not because of Tariff, something else is going on.

My current build was a contest (private forum) to build a "Best bang for the buck build" for $900 during the holiday season. Which is superior to Linus Tech tips $900 holiday build that was sponsored by Nvidia. Since I was not shackled by "Sponsorship" I was able to squeeze more "creamy smoothness" of components as well as having a upgradeable path (X570 MB instead of a X470 or B450MB) for a foreseable future.

I think with the 5700 issues is that there are more than just drivers that are causing issues. What bothers me is that people are spending a lot of money now than ever before to get performance. And when, in this case the video card is not performing due to early on teething of sloppy drivers, then perceived quality control (in my case hell yes there is an issue with my 5700XT). people are going to be upset. And they have every right to be so.
I can't buy rosewill in Norway even though I tried. I wanted to get their server branded chassis for my TRs (custom water cooling solutions) but there is no way they can ship it here due to some restrictions and lack of certification. Two bad because I really like their products.
With the NAVI driver issues. Well I don't have any issues since my PSU swap. My 5600 XT came with the older bios. 1750Mhz core 1500Mhz vram. I've oc'ed the Vram to 1750Mhz (no bios updates) and it works flawlessly. I'm considering Bios update but is it necessary since everything works fine? Maybe there are driver issues in some cases but I haven't seen any so far.
BTW. with the corsair AXi 760W I think I've damaged my Vega. It doesn't want to boot. Thinking of getting it hooked up aside the rx5600XT and see if I can boot to OS and if the card is recognized. When trying to benchmark it just buzzed, gave grsshhhh sound and computer restarted. People underestimate the value of a PSU in any system.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
I have built a fresh system with an MSI EVOKE 5700XT OC a few months ago.

I experienced quite a bit of crashes and glitches in the beginning (anywhere from 1 to 4 reboots per 2 hours gaming session) so, in the beginning, I have blamed the darned drivers, "knowing" from online forums that they are quite bad.

After a while, I started analyzing what I was doing and I realized that all my problems came from bad interactions between (too much) tuning software that I was using. I used MSI Dragon Center, AfterBurner, the Radeon suite and Ryzen Master. I removed Dragon Center from my startup and got rid of the Afterburner profiles

Nowadays I work with a BIOS fan curve for CPU/case, and all GPU related tuning is done via the Radeon drivers. And all is working fine, I have a silent and reliable PC. I just need to upgrade my cheap HDMI cable which at times bottlenecks the comm between GPU and monitor, but all the crashes are gone already.

So, in my experience, the drivers are fine, however, using multiple software utilities to tune the pc is a bad idea, since once installed they will work behind your back and, most probably each of these pieces of software "thinks" it is alone in modifying your settings, so having more of them trying to do conflicting things in the same time is probably what is giving most people a bad experience.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
I have built a fresh system with an MSI EVOKE 5700XT OC a few months ago.

I experienced quite a bit of crashes and glitches in the beginning (anywhere from 1 to 4 reboots per 2 hours gaming session) so, in the beginning, I have blamed the darned drivers, "knowing" from online forums that they are quite bad.

After a while, I started analyzing what I was doing and I realized that all my problems came from bad interactions between (too much) tuning software that I was using. I used MSI Dragon Center, AfterBurner, the Radeon suite and Ryzen Master. I removed Dragon Center from my startup and got rid of the Afterburner profiles

Nowadays I work with a BIOS fan curve for CPU/case, and all GPU related tuning is done via the Radeon drivers. And all is working fine, I have a silent and reliable PC. I just need to upgrade my cheap HDMI cable which at times bottlenecks the comm between GPU and monitor, but all the crashes are gone already.

So, in my experience, the drivers are fine, however, using multiple software utilities to tune the pc is a bad idea, since once installed they will work behind your back and, most probably each of these pieces of software "thinks" it is alone in modifying your settings, so having more of them trying to do conflicting things in the same time is probably what is giving most people a bad experience.
Honestly, never thought about that before. I only use MSI Afterburner and Radeon software. Some valid point instead of laughs, mockery and pointless driver blames without any additional input.
Thanks for sharing man :)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Honestly, never thought about that before. I only use MSI Afterburner and Radeon software. Some valid point instead of laughs, mockery and pointless driver blames without any additional input.
Thanks for sharing man :)
I'm not sure why you're defending the driver so fiercely. Afterburner and similar software are user-space application, they cannot crash the video card. They all work by issuing commands... wait for it... to the driver! Sure, having several pieces of software that all do the same thing is really not recommended, but that shouldn't lead to crashes. More likely the additional commands sent to the driver cause some race conditions or something similar.

Sure, the driver is innocent until proven guilty. But since it is involved in _all_ scenarios, it also cannot be exonerated until the cause is found.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I'm not sure why you're defending the driver so fiercely. Afterburner and similar software are user-space application, they cannot crash the video card. They all work by issuing commands... wait for it... to the driver! Sure, having several pieces of software that all do the same thing is really not recommended, but that shouldn't lead to crashes. More likely the additional commands sent to the driver cause some race conditions or something similar.

Sure, the driver is innocent until proven guilty. But since it is involved in _all_ scenarios, it also cannot be exonerated until the cause is found.
Look , if you use IQue , starting any other hardware monitoring messes up it's signaling.

It's not alone most programs that interegate hardware signal and control at a low level has interaction issues with software it doesn't expect to be doing the same things at the same time.

So I disagree with your point.
Using unsupported tools removed the blame from AMD not amplifies it IMHO.

I also disagree with non 5700 owner's coming in here to moan about something they don't own so are spreading BS.

System Name BloodRage
Processor R5 2600X PBO enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite
Cooling Arctic Esports Duo
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000
Video Card(s) MSI VENTUS OC 2060 Super
Storage 120GB PNY SATA + 1TB WD Blue M.2
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT cheap chassis
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy FX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III Gold 650w
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Red Dragon Kumara
Software Win 10
Following your link, one of the people on Reddit was having issues with his card. He diagnosed his problem to his computer case. Now this has always been a bone of contention with me. I am not a fan of the current case trends that has been going on for the past 4+ years. The added cost for the bling bling as well as air flow issues plus the additional costs to correct those Air flow issues IMHO has been swept under the rug.

I'm retired (system builder) but I still have a small but loyal customer base (10 to 20 years). I help them out to try to keep costs down and for the most part they are not the stereo typical Millennial/Zoomer Crowd. Just people that want their computer to run as long as possible before making another purchase.

I tell my clients you need a case (and the right fans) that will get all of the warm air out as quickly as possible. As an example I own 3 Corsair Carbide 500R and a Corsair Carbide400R and that is the style of case I refer my clients too. I also own a 900HAF. You want quiet then go with the current trends and pay the additional price for being quiet. You want a work horse and longevity to your computer components you go with the the style I referred too.

My current Ryzen System is hotter than my previous Ryzen 1800X/X370 setup. Both using the same case and same video card.
I can see why that person posting on Reddit was having issues with his video card. Every system build is different and every component affects the whole of that system build.

You have to look at everything when you make an assessment. Including the case being used. It is always good to have a test bench on hand for those purposes.

It has been 5 months with the Visiontek 5700 reference card and am quite satisfied with the card for the price I paid for. I am able to keep the temps down to the 64c (junction temp) range at 27c room temps. My room gets the sun on 3 sides so nice in the winter but god awful hot in the summer. I have had the card spike to 75c but my room as at 33+c when that happened. Again acceptable levels. Under volting and the right fan speed is what is keeping this card from burning out. Noise level is acceptable to me as I run the fans at 48%. Total noise level on this style of case is around 42 to 44dbs. Again I'm fine with that as the noise to my Alen hepa filter nearby makes louder noise than my Comp. I play 2 to 4 hours of OverWatch on a 1440p monitor on a high setting. 160+fps. When just viewing videos the temps drop between 42 and 47c. Junction temps.

I'm just giving out some info on what I am experiencing now. I do have a XFX 5700XT and that is a dog of a video card.

I got some ideas on what I am going to do with this card and if time allows I'll post my findings.
My temps max at 64c when running Mafia II definitive in 4K maxed out.

Went from 82c+ to just 64c.

My chassis has no front, it is just 2 120mm fans, you can just put your hand literall into the case if you wanted to.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
My temps max at 64c when running Mafia II definitive in 4K maxed out.

How are the fan noise? And if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for your card? Kinda silly about the fan curve issue but im glad to hear it is working now.

System Name BloodRage
Case CiT cheap chassis
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software Win 10
How are the fan noise? And if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for your card? Kinda silly about the fan curve issue but im glad to hear it is working now.
Pretty loud, but i don't mind some noise so long as it shuts up on idle.

Having the fan fixed means Zero fan mode don't work.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme

I would say, Nvidia is certainly more tolerant to things like these. Maybe RDNA will be over time too - they have already made big improvements so far. None of you both is wrong though - keep the PC clean is recommended, don't overdo it. But the drivers aren't perfect either.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim

What is your problem huh? I commented on @BoboOOZ reply saying that the tuning applications made his video card go crazy and crash. That is what he has noticed and the fix was to remove some apps to solve his problems. I didn't use as many tuning software but at least his point was valid. You guys come here, mock people and laugh at them. Forcing others to believe what you say because other forums (and people with problems) say it is the drivers. (not even checking this out or do some tests anything) I'm not defending the drivers because as I see it there is no problem with the driver. I bought the 5600xt, i ran Unigine for hours in a loop, various resolutions and settings, other games for hours and there was no black screens or any crashes after I've changed my PSU to the SeaSonic. As for you, a person that doesn't even posses such a card, saying it's the drivers, that's lame. For some reason, you want the drivers to be bad and to be blamed. innocent driver :) catchy phrases with no background on the matter nor anything? I don't have problems with the drivers and many people don't That is what I, as an owner of the card, can tell you.
BTW. My Vega 64 red devil died. I assume the old PSU is to blame for it. I have encountered crash in Unigine with the RX 5600 XT after 3 min with the old Corsair AXi 750W which is 8 years old. Swapping PSU solved everything. Power spikes or voltage not sure yet. (1050 Ti worked fine but it doesn't need additional power). Wanna check this one out to contribute?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
His problem is overheating due to bad fan curve from factory and loud stock fans. RMA won't help.

Unfortunately, Gigabyte will just return it back.

He needs to exchange the card to another or upgrade the cooling system.

Gigabyte is known to release second revisions of products because of things like this.
The print and video reviews of his exact card say that it's a well-cooled, quiet card.
Defective BIOS, defective card, or defective case airflow was what the previous thread seemed to point at. My money was on a bad BIOS messing the voltage/fan curves up.

Nowadays I work with a BIOS fan curve for CPU/case, and all GPU related tuning is done via the Radeon drivers. And all is working fine, I have a silent and reliable PC.
This, 100%.

Third party tuning software has always had a bad reputation for bloat/bugs and I've always avoided it. With AMD drivers offering a serviceable (if not flawless) tuning suite in the driver, it would seem pointless to install anything else. Only for Nvidia cards must I resort to third-party junk because Nvidia still hasn't bothered updating their control panel since the Windows XP days.

Over the last 20 years I have attributed some of my most irritating problems to vendor bloatware, disovering that Asus AI suite caused micro-stuttering and Gigabyte's APP center causing 1-per second stutters in full-screen gaming. MSI afterburner is super popular, but only because it was the ONLY option for a long time. It's still a very generic solution that works on everything and cannot possibly be as well tailored to any specific card as the card-vendor's own solution. At least it's not known to cause any major issues but I certainly wouldn't run it alongside another GPU tuning app (like the AMD drivers, for example).

I'm also going to place some blame on Nvidia. I jump between GPU vendors a lot. It's part of my job, but I also have a couple of machines at home that benefit from work cast-offs as free upgrades. No matter where I am, whether it's home or at one of the work sites, whenever I have driver issues on AMD, it's often because I've swapped from Nvidia to AMD without doing a DDU on the old Nvidia drivers. I can't ever recall having driver problems caused by residual AMD drivers on a machine, which makes me think that much like the Windows XP-era control panel, Nvidia's drivers are dirty and old and don't remove cleanly from a system. DDU is essential if you are upgrading from an older Nvidia GPU (and this applies to both a new AMD card AND a new Nvidia card!)

Last edited:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I also disagree with non 5700 owner's coming in here to moan about something they don't own so are spreading BS.
Because if you own one, suddenly you understand so much better how hardware and software works, right? :wtf:

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
I would say, Nvidia is certainly more tolerant to things like these. Maybe RDNA will be over time too - they have already made big improvements so far. None of you both is wrong though - keep the PC clean is recommended, don't overdo it. But the drivers aren't perfect either.

From my experience, software is never perfect. There are 2 ways to go, either close most options of your software so that it always runs in the nominal cases, this way there will be less problems, but the users do not get any customizability. Or you can go the other way around, opening the software to customization, but also to way more potential problems. It is almost impossible to get both without incurring huge development and testing expenses.

AMD's ecosystem offers a lot of customization leeway, but in the same time they're open to a lot more potential problems. As an enthusiast, I largely prefer that, but there is a learning curve and it is not for everybody.

Don't know much about Nvidia software these days, my last Nvidia card (in my personal computer) was on an AGP slot and custom fan curves didn't exist back then.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Because if you own one, suddenly you understand so much better how hardware and software works, right? :wtf:
Certainly helps with specifics of an issue.

And sure as the sun sets, using something yourself truly enlightens you to what is going on.
Verses owning a competitor's card and just supposing based on prior experience with different tech.

And your claims regards to software are Bs anyway so yes, as others and I can PROVE using multiple system tuning applications causes issues that can crash PC's and suggesting otherwise is disingenuous.

F#####g AI suite is the best example, I have used it on but mostly off for over ten years and that piece of shit is going no where near any pc I own again.

IQue I live with now.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
From my experience, software is never perfect. There are 2 ways to go, either close most options of your software so that it always runs in the nominal cases, this way there will be less problems, but the users do not get any customizability. Or you can go the other way around, opening the software to customization, but also to way more potential problems. It is almost impossible to get both without incurring huge development and testing expenses.

AMD's ecosystem offers a lot of customization leeway, but in the same time they're open to a lot more potential problems. As an enthusiast, I largely prefer that, but there is a learning curve and it is not for everybody.

Don't know much about Nvidia software these days, my last Nvidia card (in my personal computer) was on an AGP slot and custom fan curves didn't exist back then.
True. Most people just want to plug it in and play, they don't wanna bother themselves with troubleshooting or modifications. Nvidia is simple, it works. I'm a 90% Nvidia user, but I had Radeon's in the "dark time" of their drivers, suffice to say, it was greatly exaggerated. I almost never had any driver problems with my 5000 series GPU's, not even in Crossfire. I doubt I would have big problems now. Radeons are good for, if you have a clean PC and know what you're doing.

System Name BloodRage
Case CiT cheap chassis
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software Win 10

And sure as the sun sets, using something yourself truly enlightens you to what is going on.
Verses owning a competitor's card and just supposing based on prior experience with different tech.

And your claims regards to software are Bs anyway so yes, as others and I can PROVE using multiple system tuning applications causes issues that can crash PC's and suggesting otherwise is disingenuous.

F#####g AI suite is the best example, I have used it on but mostly off for over ten years and that piece of shit is going no where near any pc I own again.

IQue I live with now.

One awesome thing about the Aorus 5700-XT is that there is no void warrenty if you replace the thermal paste.

I applied Ceramique 2 with great success.

True. Most people just want to plug it in and play, they don't wanna bother themselves with troubleshooting or modifications. Nvidia is simple, it works. I'm a 90% Nvidia user, but I had Radeon's in the "dark time" of their drivers, suffice to say, it was greatly exaggerated. I almost never had any driver problems with my 5000 series GPU's, not even in Crossfire. I doubt I would have big problems now. Radeons are good for, if you have a clean PC and know what you're doing.
I run a secondary older computer as you can see in my signature, i had to change out for a GTX from a 4850 to get Medal of Honor Pacific Assault to run at all.
I remember running GTA IV on the 4870 back in the day and even though the 9800GTX+ was slower, it was smoother.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

AMD themselves were unable to tell where the fault lies, I suppose it's because they didn't ask you? Because you certainly seem to know better.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
I run a secondary older computer as you can see in my signature, i had to change out for a GTX from a 4850 to get Medal of Honor Pacific Assault to run at all.
I remember running GTA IV on the 4870 back in the day and even though the 9800GTX+ was slower, it was smoother.
I don't know about that. I played Battlefield's (multiple), World of Warcraft, some other AAA titles, even some indie games, no problems. The worst thing was, Crossfire not working in 2 games, and that's it. People talk about the 4000 or 5000 series like their drivers were hell, but I've never seen it, the cards were one of the best I ever had. People exaggerate today as well. Drivers are probably 99% fine.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
One awesome thing about the Aorus 5700-XT is that there is no void warrenty if you replace the thermal paste.

I applied Ceramique 2 with great success.

Ceramique2 I have loads of it , it's not the best ,far from the worse but I rate mx5 ,kryonaught, and definitely conductonaught are better.
I use that for customer PC :D

@bug please point to the post where I suggest I know what is happening here, I didn't, you did.

No sir I only argued against your points.

System Name BloodRage
Case CiT cheap chassis
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Software Win 10
Ceramique2 I have loads of it , it's not the best ,far from the worse but I rate mx5 ,kryonaught, and definitely conductonaught are better.
I use that for customer PC :D
Been condisering a conductive paste, may get some konductonaugt!

Ceramique 2 is an excellently reliable paste though as it just seems to last forever and never dries out giving considerably reliable and flat results with temperatures, but i have never done more than a good air tower or AIO setup, never done a custom loop before.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim

The drivers nowadays offer way more stuff. Previously, all the settings were in games that your card either supports or not.
I'm still tweaking my Radeon drivers with the 5600XT. Seen some more things showing up. I've moved to Global settings but I can tell, for certain games, individual setting work better. I'm still testing features.
Been condisering a conductive paste, may get some konductonaugt!

Ceramique 2 is an excellently reliable paste though as it just seems to last forever and never dries out giving considerably reliable and flat results with temperatures, but i have never done more than a good air tower or AIO setup, never done a custom loop before.
I used the kryonaut on my vega. The temps dropped noticeably. I've had a serious problem with the hot spot going above 100C. I don't know if I would risk a liquid metal paste on a GPU. The temps were never that bad.

Last edited:
System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Well, FWIW I believe AMD has been addressing the enthusiast segment more than Nvidia because of their market position, the more they grow, the more their policies and software will start resembling those of Nvidia and Intel, that is, a simple and more reliable environment with way fewer customization options and less intergeneration compatibility. This is already starting to show in their CPU policies. In future, they will offer much more similar experiences, I wonder what topics will animate fan battles in the fora :)?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

Still, the simple fact remains that anything such an app does still has to go through the driver. When the driver craps out, Windows had TDR (or at least I think it's Windows who provides that).
It's a seemingly very specific combination that manages to mess all that up, but still the probability remains high the problem is either in the driver or in the silicon.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Still, the simple fact remains that anything such an app does still has to go through the driver. When the driver craps out, Windows had TDR (or at least I think it's Windows who provides that).
It's a seemingly very specific combination that manages to mess all that up, but still the probability remains high the problem is either in the driver or in the silicon.
See ,who exactly is dispensing opinions on how this is playing out.
It's possibly hardware now because you found ?? What exactly.

Funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.