• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Amd sharpening makes graphics worse in games

So, I think I have problem somewhere because when I turn on sharpening it makes games look like crap. Like they came 20 years ago.The higher the setting the worst it looks. Is this option maybe bad for 1080p gaming or is there some kind of conflict with other graphics option?

D

Deleted member 67555

So, I think I have problem somewhere because when I turn on sharpening it makes games look like crap. Like they came 20 years ago.The higher the setting the worst it looks. Is this option maybe bad for 1080p gaming or is there some kind of conflict with other graphics option?
I don't know.
I can tell you when I turn it on with NVidia gfx the colors go weird but only in certain places...like the sky

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I don't know.
I can tell you when I turn it on with NVidia gfx the colors go weird but only in certain places...like the sky
Yeah it’s always gonna be hit or miss for both sides depending on game/settings/AA and AF types used etc.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
The colors are not the problem, it's the pixels all around. With AA on max

A sharpening filter on 1080p is going to counteract a lot of that AA. Sharpening is sort of the opposite effect of AA (well not really but they don't work well together) and probably not a good idea when 1080p needs that AA.

Last edited:
And Warzone for example really needs that AA. Actually there is other problem I didn't mention because I was hoping maybe somehow sharpening image would help and it's jagged and flickering edges and pixelated shadows in distance in every game no matter what settings I put. AA helps, but some of it still stays. I just bought an rx5600xt and new monitor and I have never notice that thing on my old monitor and graphics card(1050ti)
And I see there is a ton of people who had or has that problem over many years and no one find any solutions. Some say it's electricity problem..others say it's normal. I kinda doubt it is

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
AMD has always had problems with brand new features in their driver bundles. I'm sure once such and issue gets enough attention on the AMD forums it will 'eventually' get fixed.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
And Warzone for example really needs that AA. Actually there is other problem I didn't mention because I was hoping maybe somehow sharpening image would help and it's jagged and flickering edges and pixelated shadows in distance in every game no matter what settings I put. AA helps, but some of it still stays. I just bought an rx5600xt and new monitor and I have never notice that thing on my old monitor and graphics card(1050ti)
And I see there is a ton of people who had or has that problem over many years and no one find any solutions. Some say it's electricity problem..others say it's normal. I kinda doubt it is

Oh dear. Dont go there man, it ends up deep into looney town, we have had multiple topics on it over the years.

Flickering and inconsistencies in graphics rendering do indeed happen and its a combination of how gpu handles processing and how the engine works. Countless tricks are applied to optimize performance, this includes numerous ways to simplify detail and apply LOD. There are techs like ambient occlusion in numerous forms that can flicker in shadows for example. The list goes on and on, and not everything is as refined or visually correct as you would want.

That is the long and short of it really. Shrug and trying to unsee this is really the easiest approach and otherwise, you need careful analysis per game version, GPU, driver versions... every time...

System Name BloodRage
Processor R5 2600X PBO enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite
Cooling Arctic Esports Duo
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000
Video Card(s) MSI VENTUS OC 2060 Super
Storage 120GB PNY SATA + 1TB WD Blue M.2
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT cheap chassis
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy FX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III Gold 650w
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Red Dragon Kumara
Software Win 10
Depends on what is being played. For 99% of my gaming needs, it is off, but say if i run CSGO in a lower res than native, sharpening can bring back some of the image sharpness.
A game like Resident Evil 2 or 3 looks like absolute shite with sharpening enabled.

Oh dear. Dont go there man, it ends up deep into looney town, we have had multiple topics on it over the years.

Flickering and inconsistencies in graphics rendering do indeed happen and its a combination of how gpu handles processing and how the engine works. Countless tricks are applied to optimize performance, this includes numerous ways to simplify detail and apply LOD. There are techs like ambient occlusion in numerous forms that can flicker in shadows for example. The list goes on and on, and not everything is as refined or visually correct as you would want.

That is the long and short of it really. Shrug and trying to unsee this is really the easiest approach and otherwise, you need careful analysis per game version, GPU, driver versions... every time...
Those folks are beyond help and way into their delusions.