• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Failed 3800X Build goes Intel 10th gen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
We have recently filled a thread with 16 pages, trying to get my Ryzen 3800X build up and running, see this thread.
After all the tweaking, hardware changes and testing, I was just not satisfied and regretted the ridiculous purchase of a X570 Godlike to improve things :D.
Long story short, I've finally decided to return most of the parts to the vendor and start from scratch, this time with an Intel build for gaming and light non-4k video editing.

So keep in mind, I won't go back to an AMD build this time around, let's just focus on the Intel build.
I'm not in a hurry, I rather wait a 4-6 weeks until they have the first bios issues fixed on the Z490 boards, but I don't want to wait any longer.
I'm also planning to upgrade to Rocket Lake once it hits.

I've learned a lot back in the old thread regarding AMD, ram OC, etc., but I'm not sure if all of it applies to Intel as well. That's why I'm first gonna share the possible parts list and than go into some questions.

PartDescription
CPUIntel Core i7-10700K or i5-10600K or else?
MBASUS Rog Maximus XII Formula (LGA 1200, Intel Z490, ATX)
CaseLian-Li O11Dynamic XL (Midi Tower)
Parts I already own
RamCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x, 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
RamG.Skill Trident Z Royal (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3600, DIMM 288) CL16
SSDSamsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280)
CPU-CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
CPU-CoolerCorsair H150i RGB PRO XT (2.70cm)
GPUMSI GeForce RTX 2070S GAMING X TRIO (8GB)
Power SupplyCorsair RM850 *2019* (850W)

For the old build, I likely also had a case/airflow issue, that's why I'm switching the case from a Corsair 570X to a Lian-Li O11D XL, equipped with Corsair QL fans.

Build questions
  1. CPU: I'm struggling deciding between the 10700K and the 10600K and even the "non K" variants. I know that you can't answer this question for me, but probably you can give me a hint whatever direction. As I wrote above, I do intend to switch to Rocket lake according to the latest news, so I'm not overkilling it by getting the 10900K. I do still want a fast and reliable system until than.
  2. Motherboard: I'm not sure there is much to discuss here. Even though I won't ever use the VRM watercooling feature on it, I absolutely love the design, RGB elements, general layout of the board with the CMOS battery actually at a place where it is removable, the position of the post code LED and the awesomely placed OLED screen in the middle. I might change my mind and go Hero, but since I'm also planning on Rocket lake, I'm gonna keep that board for 2 "generations"
  3. Ram: That's a big one. I do still own the two Ram in the table. I haven't sent them back to the vendor yet. With the 3800X build, I had crazy bad latency with the vengeance at around 82ns and it only slightly got better with tighter timings, etc (on top of that it is a B-Die). For the Ryzen built, I than opted for expensive Z Royals, for more than double the price, coming in ag 420$ compared to the Corsair. I do still have the possibility to return them for 1 more week, but first I wanted to get your opinion for the Ryzen build. Should I keep those overkill rams or get something else? I know for Ryzen 3600 CL16 was the sweet spot, but what about the 10th gen Intel, are there other things to consider? From an RGB point, I'd love to go with Corsair, but I was told that Vengeance is pretty crap and if I'd go for Dominators, there are also hell expensive and I wouldn't know how much money is worth to spend for performance increases. I won't care about 1-7% increases, if it gets more to 10% I might spend money here as well. If I shouldn't keep any of the two rams in the table, what should I aim for?
  4. CPU Cooler: I do still have the Noctua and the H150i Pro XT. I'm so crazy in between those two, I think nobody can take this decision but me, but if I go with my Noctua, how can I confirm that it really fits on the motherboard? I know that I will only be able to run it with 1 fan because 2 fans are not possible because of the ram size (at least that was the case in my Corsair 570X case and Strix E and Godlike boards). Low profile rams are hard to find nowadays.
  5. SSD: I had very bad perforfmance on the Ryzen build, I might return that one for a warranty claim and see what they say. Anyway, would you otherwise go with the same?
  6. PSU: Here I'm also struggling - there might be many reasons why my Ryzen build failed for me. Probably someone who watched the old thread can give me an advise on keeping that thing or go with something else.

OC questions
  1. Ram OC: I'm not going to go mad on Ram OC, I did try that on the Ryzen build, but to be honest, it is not worth for me to spend my time and limited OC knowledge. I'd love just to go XMP and minor DRAM Calc tweaks (probably only primarys and trfc) and that's it.
  2. CPU OC: For Ryzen it was not worth it, but for Intel I hear it is well worth the little time invested to get more out of the system. I've never overclocked a CPU, so I'm also looking for an easy way to squeeze a little bit more out of the system than stock but not at the cost of stability. Speaking of that, I would specifically like to ask you guys what you think about the Asus tools, AI OC and AI Cooling? No idea how that cooling thing would influence an AIO, most likely only relevant for air?
  3. 1591216569853.png
Thanks all I can think of right now, so I'm pushing that out to you guys :)

thanks in advance

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
if you're buying rocket lake then get a 10400f as a placeholder and faster rams

nvmd,3600 c16 is good.unless you're on a 14 day return and can get someting like a viper 4400mhz kit.

long story short,I don't feel like reading 16 pages.can you tell us what went wrong with 3800x ?

Hi guys
We have recently filled a thread with 16 pages, trying to get my Ryzen 3800X build up and running, see this thread.
After all the tweaking, hardware changes and testing, I was just not satisfied and regretted the ridiculous purchase of a X570 Godlike to improve things :D.
Long story short, I've finally decided to return most of the parts to the vendor and start from scratch, this time with an Intel build for gaming and light non-4k video editing.

So keep in mind, I won't go back to an AMD build this time around, let's just focus on the Intel build.
I'm not in a hurry, I rather wait a 4-6 weeks until they have the first bios issues fixed on the Z490 boards, but I don't want to wait any longer.
I'm also planning to upgrade to Rocket Lake once it hits.

I've learned a lot back in the old thread regarding AMD, ram OC, etc., but I'm not sure if all of it applies to Intel as well. That's why I'm first gonna share the possible parts list and than go into some questions.

PartDescription
CPUIntel Core i7-10700K or i5-10600K or else?
MBASUS Rog Maximus XII Formula (LGA 1200, Intel Z490, ATX)
CaseLian-Li O11Dynamic XL (Midi Tower)
Parts I already own
RamCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x, 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
RamG.Skill Trident Z Royal (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3600, DIMM 288) CL16
SSDSamsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280)
CPU-CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
CPU-CoolerCorsair H150i RGB PRO XT (2.70cm)
GPUMSI GeForce RTX 2070S GAMING X TRIO (8GB)
Power SupplyCorsair RM850 *2019* (850W)
For the old build, I likely also had a case/airflow issue, that's why I'm switching the case from a Corsair 570X to a Lian-Li O11D XL, equipped with Corsair QL fans.

Build questions
  1. CPU: I'm struggling deciding between the 10700K and the 10600K and even the "non K" variants. I know that you can't answer this question for me, but probably you can give me a hint whatever direction. As I wrote above, I do intend to switch to Rocket lake according to the latest news, so I'm not overkilling it by getting the 10900K. I do still want a fast and reliable system until than.
  2. Motherboard: I'm not sure there is much to discuss here. Even though I won't ever use the VRM watercooling feature on it, I absolutely love the design, RGB elements, general layout of the board with the CMOS battery actually at a place where it is removable, the position of the post code LED and the awesomely placed OLED screen in the middle. I might change my mind and go Hero, but since I'm also planning on Rocket lake, I'm gonna keep that board for 2 "generations"
  3. Ram: That's a big one. I do still own the two Ram in the table. I haven't sent them back to the vendor yet. With the 3800X build, I had crazy bad latency with the vengeance at around 82ns and it only slightly got better with tighter timings, etc (on top of that it is a B-Die). For the Ryzen built, I than opted for expensive Z Royals, for more than double the price, coming in ag 420$ compared to the Corsair. I do still have the possibility to return them for 1 more week, but first I wanted to get your opinion for the Ryzen build. Should I keep those overkill rams or get something else? I know for Ryzen 3600 CL16 was the sweet spot, but what about the 10th gen Intel, are there other things to consider? From an RGB point, I'd love to go with Corsair, but I was told that Vengeance is pretty crap and if I'd go for Dominators, there are also hell expensive and I wouldn't know how much money is worth to spend for performance increases. I won't care about 1-7% increases, if it gets more to 10% I might spend money here as well. If I shouldn't keep any of the two rams in the table, what should I aim for?
  4. CPU Cooler: I do still have the Noctua and the H150i Pro XT. I'm so crazy in between those two, I think nobody can take this decision but me, but if I go with my Noctua, how can I confirm that it really fits on the motherboard? I know that I will only be able to run it with 1 fan because 2 fans are not possible because of the ram size (at least that was the case in my Corsair 570X case and Strix E and Godlike boards). Low profile rams are hard to find nowadays.
  5. SSD: I had very bad perforfmance on the Ryzen build, I might return that one for a warranty claim and see what they say. Anyway, would you otherwise go with the same?
  6. PSU: Here I'm also struggling - there might be many reasons why my Ryzen build failed for me. Probably someone who watched the old thread can give me an advise on keeping that thing or go with something else.

OC questions
  1. Ram OC: I'm not going to go mad on Ram OC, I did try that on the Ryzen build, but to be honest, it is not worth for me to spend my time and limited OC knowledge. I'd love just to go XMP and minor DRAM Calc tweaks (probably only primarys and trfc) and that's it.
  2. CPU OC: For Ryzen it was not worth it, but for Intel I hear it is well worth the little time invested to get more out of the system. I've never overclocked a CPU, so I'm also looking for an easy way to squeeze a little bit more out of the system than stock but not at the cost of stability. Speaking of that, I would specifically like to ask you guys what you think about the Asus tools, AI OC and AI Cooling? No idea how that cooling thing would influence an AIO, most likely only relevant for air?
  3. View attachment 157738
Thanks all I can think of right now, so I'm pushing that out to you guys :)

thanks in advance

10600K/KF is a great performance point with decent DRAM. 4.8GHz with 3600 CL14 quick and dirty tuning will give you a very good boost.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I'd keep the Corsair kit, assuming it was cheaper.

Easy way to OC with Intel, change the multiplier.

Maybe try Gigabyte this time around, considering you've had a bad run with Asus and MSI?

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
AsRock has been good for me for motherboards, you could try the Z490 Taichi.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 6c/12t
Motherboard MSI B350M Mortar
Cooling Cryorig C7
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8) 3000MHz [DDR4]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super 8G
Storage Western Digital 1TB 5200RPM HDD / Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD / Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD
Case Corsair Crystal 280X Black
You've wasted so much money, I think you shouldn't buy anything at all; you can't seem to be trusted with it to be completely honest with you. You opened up the 3800X thread with a complaint about your RAM speed and ended it fifteen pages later with deeply expensive variants of what you already had, and wherein it still didn't come up to your absurdly high standards, you gave up by taking your build apart completely.

Just wait until the next generation of architectures from red and blue, or maybe their next node jumps. Right now, just send back all the gear you've purchased except the GPU and the Corsair RAM and case, buy a cheap Z390 board and pair it with an 8400. It's not what you want but you should just focus on what you can potentially get at the end of next year as opposed to shelling out more money over and over for the tiniest of gains.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
You've wasted so much money, I think you shouldn't buy anything at all; you can't seem to be trusted with it to be completely honest with you. You opened up the 3800X thread with a complaint about your RAM speed and ended it fifteen pages later with deeply expensive variants of what you already had, and wherein it still didn't come up to your absurdly high standards, you gave up by taking your build apart completely.

"Absurdly high standards"? That's some of the most arrogant shit I've ever heard :laugh: it's not even your money, so where do you get to come in to make a judgment on whether he can be "trusted" with it when he's tried pretty much everything he can to solve the problem?

Imagine thinking that buying a Z390 board and an 8400 is somehow a better value proposition than a 10400 and a cheaper Z490 board? :wtf:

System Name The Tesseract Cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI X570A-PRO
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Memory 2 x 16gb Kingston HyperX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Nitro + 16GB
Storage Corsair MP400 G3 1TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) MSI MAG241C Full HD, 144hz FreeSync
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) MB Integrated, Sound Blaster Play 3 (Headset)
Power Supply Corsair CX650M Modular 80+ Bronze
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro Wirless RGB
Keyboard MSI GK30 Mecha-Membrane
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
Not quite up with your story of that failed built, but from my own experience working in IT Sales (doing custom builds and stuff), i can say people seem to enjoy every AMD build i do for them, from lowest Ryzen 3s to highest Ryzen 9s and all that blink.

Now i don't know your abilities around a PC (building, tweaking, OC, etc) but from my personal exp, running an all core 4.2GHz on my R5 3600 without any issues on a X570 A Pro (probably the cheapest X570 you can find on the market), with an XMP 3200mhz (not 3600mhz sweetspot, i know, but that was all the budget had to offer), performance and stability were top notch and no less than perfect.

Now i know you can get more from K SKUs from Intel, but my 3600 beats the crap out of 8600ks and 9600ks OCed to 4.8, and maybe even higher, still there would be a noticable multicore difference.

Now the 10600k would bring that gap down with HT on it, but there will be a minor edge in favor of the 10600k (10 - 15%), but keep in mind that 10600k will be more much more expensive than my 3600, plus you will need Z board to clock this which will add more to your bill, and for what, a few FPS and a couple of seconds on render times?

My advice to you, if you don't need to rush this build, don't. Take your time and wait for 4th gen Ryzen and see what it has to offer, you will probably not regret it, looking at what 4900HS did to the 9980HK in the laptop department.

System Name Gaming PC
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard GIgabyte B650 Gaming X AX
Cooling Coolermaster ML280
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M28U
Case NZXT H510 Elite
Audio Device(s) HyperX DuoCast
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
Software Windows 11 Pro
10600k for gaming, 10700k if you want a little more headroom for gaming + streaming + anything else.

People can pick apart everything if they want about every little decision, but I don't think anyone could be blamed for wanting to try something else after that level of frustration. No matter what you go with, AMD or Intel, it will do what you want it to. With Intel, you just may be getting a bit less for the money.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Just some thoughts...

There is always the chance of running into issues with building your own system especially the closer you get to the bleeding edge.

(...just saying in a friendly voice...) You might consider getting a custom built from https://www.pugetsystems.com/ or other reputable vendor (so your part choices are vetted together) if what you are really looking for is a stable machine out of the box experience.

CPU:
I believe https://www.youtube.com/user/GamersNexus had some review on these CPU's including overclocking. Interesting stuff!

Case:
The 011d had issues with CPU cooler and GPU block clearances. Not sure if XL solved that completely so you need to be sure your choice of cooler is not too tall or GPU block not to wide.

RAM:
At one point Corsair RGB modules were having some issues (something to do with SPD corruption) perhaps only with older systems. You may want to look on the forums for the model you have but there may be a BIOS option that needs to be enabled in some systems for RGB to be controllable. "SPD Write" if I remember correctly.

Cooler:
I've see a lot of complaints on some of the higher model Corsair AIO's with noise and iCue detection issues. (My lower tier H100i never gave me any issues other than a loud clicking when it was turned off.) Again see Corsair forums for your model. I wanted more control and dependability over my liquid cooling so I went custom loop instead. I think my D5 pump that I have now is much quieter than whatever my H100i was using and I can now inspect and ensure the quality and operation of my loop with proper maintenance. If you don't want to deal with any liquid cooling problems stick with air cooling.

PSU:
RM series from Corsair seems quite good and quiet. On my model I've never had the fan spin so either 0 rpm is working flawlessly as designed or it's broken. :) Having an HX620w running flawlessly since 2009 (and still in operation) is the reason I continued to go with Corsair on PSU, however any vendor can produce duds for any particular model.

My last Intel build was a Asus P5E-WS w/ Q6600 so I have not more info for you other than the fact it overclocked my RAM by default and I never realized it until I put my AM4 system together.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Frankly if you can't make this pc work go OEM.

And just get it working save the overclocking for a few months till you and the system are settled in and used to each other.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 1600 6c/12t
Motherboard MSI B350M Mortar
Cooling Cryorig C7
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8) 3000MHz [DDR4]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super 8G
Storage Western Digital 1TB 5200RPM HDD / Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD / Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD
Case Corsair Crystal 280X Black
"Absurdly high standards"? That's some of the most arrogant shit I've ever heard :laugh:
Absurdly high standards, yes, abso-freakin-lutely. DId you not see what this guy bought? 3800X? 850w PSU? The Godlike and Trident Royal on top of those? And he still didn't have a build that he was satisfied with? And for what exactly? Cos it sure as hell wasn't even benchmarking to begin with.

it's not even your money, so where do you get to come in to make a judgment on whether he can be "trusted" with it when he's tried pretty much everything he can to solve the problem?
You're right, it's not my money. In absolutely no way does that mean I can't offer my assessment of the situation. Is that alright with you mein Führer? And in case it wasn't abundantly clear, my assessment is literally that he should stop wasting his money; there's fundamentally nothing wrong with that no matter how you try to spin it.

Imagine thinking that buying a Z390 board and an 8400 is somehow a better value proposition than a 10400 and a cheaper Z490 board? :wtf:
Why bother? Again, what exactly is this all for? He's claiming he wants a new PC right now. Let's hash that out. He's tried the 3800X. Didn't agree with him. He now wants to try Comet Lake. Okay. But the problem with that is he also claims he's going to buy into Rocket as well.

In other words, he's making three lateral movements within the same generation of CPUs - ALL of which are within 10% perf of each other - and waste a whole goddamn lot of money doing it. I don't know of anyone who would actually advise this course of action, not Intel fanboys, not AMD fanboys, nobody.

Hence my suggestion that he put the brakes on and stop and think for a hot minute about why he's upgrading and about making a realistic assessment of his performance potential. And yes, a cheap, used 8400 and a Z390 board is absolutely fine as a holdover until Intel or AMD make the next node jump. It's still the same fucking Skylake arch lmfao, not exactly big gains to be had here.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
@Elysium Didn't see you trying to help out, I just see you coming in here in the new thread being rude.
If you'd actually read up on what went down, you'd seen that there was a lot of odd things going on and I doubt all of it was down to user error.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
you can't seem to be trusted with it to be completely honest with you

Is that alright with you mein Führer?

Get off your high horse, buddy. :laugh: You're no position to label others a Nazi. There's no place for belittling the difficulties others are facing and portraying them as some sort of mentally challenged dimwit suited only to buying OEM products.

If you want to present a value proposition in Z390, do it, although I will again reiterate that a cheaper Z490 board and Comet Lake i5 is both newer, will hold up better in the near future with HT, and provides an opportunity to sample Willow Cove when it comes to LGA1200, unlike Coffee Lake-R. If you're going to spend a similar amount of money between the two, why opt for the slower product on a dead platform that will receive no support going forward? Rocket Lake isn't the same generation, and it isn't even out yet. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

None of us have condoned his choice of flagship boards; it wasn't our idea. But it is his money and his decision. I don't think squeezing every bit of performance out of every dollar is on top of his list of priorities.

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I doubt you'd actually need rocket Lake if you grab a 10700k pretty sure it'll last you through the next console generation as a viable CPU. The 10600K is also great but definitely pair it with the better of your two memory kits it scales pretty well all the way to 4000 CL15.

I would be buying that Formula board also if I was going 10th gen. I like Asus on intel even more than I like Asus on AMD and After getting the hero I plan on sticking with Asus for both AMD/Intel unless one of the other board makers blows me away with something which is doubtful. Not a huge fan of gigabytes lineup other than the Elite its a really good board for around 220 but it's not a board I would actually buy. Kinda a shame Asrock Z490 lineup seems to suck ass.

My issue with the $400 boards even the Hero is I would rather have the Unify. MSI made that board so good its hard to justify spending more..... The Formula looks way better and has 10G lan two things that are important to me on the next board I buy but if those aren't as important to you save $200 and get the Unify.

The 10400 sucks but if your dead set on upgrading to 11th gen its not a terrible cpu slide the money into one of the EATX boards lmao.

Last edited:
Not much to go on regarding what the box will do other than gaming. But I would have left AMD outta the picture where video editing is involved. Im only going to use TPU reviews for consistency

1. Gaming (@1080p):

10900k ($530) = 99.9
10700k ($410) =
10700 ($334) = 100
10600k ($300) = 97.4
3900X ($417) = 92.5
3700X ($275) = 91.2

Gaming (@1440p):

10900k ($530) = 100.1
10700k ($410) =
10700 ($334) = 100
10600k ($300) = 99.0
3900X ($417) = 96.4
3700X ($275) = 96.1

The 3900X dropped about $100 between January and February, as the 9900k was killing it. From a gaming perspective, none of the currently available options are competing well .. and that's w/o even considering OCing. If it's just gaming on the table, then it's hard to go against the 10700

Let me address the cost issue which is always over stated. Your CPU doesn't do anything by itself, so the only relevant cost issue is system cost.

Mobo = $500
CPU =

System Cost with 10700 = $834
System Cost with 10600k = $800

So the 10700 costs 4.25% % more for a 2.7% increase in cost layout. Hardly worth worrying about.

2. Now let's look at Video Editing

10900k ($530) = 229.9
10700k ($410) =
10700 ($334) = 241.9
10600k ($300) = 241.0
3900X ($417) = 252.2
3700X ($275) =253.5

I expect the 10700k will fall between the 1st and 3rd about 235

Two things we learn here .... more cores / virtual cores only mean something if your applications use them. Why die size crawls into the mix, I'm stumped. If the smaller die isn't making you faster than another choice, irrelevant

The 10700 leads again but agai, I couldn't argue with either choice.

Any Photo Editing in the mix ?

10900k ($530) = 381.7
10700k ($410) =
10700 ($334) = 394.3
10600k ($300) = 406.3
3900X ($417) = 448.5
3700X ($275) = 463.8

Here we see a much bigger spread but again the 10700 wins again. So unless you plan on adding Brain Neuron Simulation or such app that benefits from more cores / threads ... nothing you are doing will use them.

Any think to check is the KF versions ... not as much of a prce dip as we saw with the 9xxx series but still in the $25- $35 range.

3. As to the rest, my rule of thumb is my MoBos is gonna cost half what my CPU does. But as Im usually in the $500 range for my CPU that's $250. I'd stay in the $170 - $250 range ,,, going higher really isn't bringing anything to the table unless the goal is to get your name on overclocking leader boards. Saying this still stings but we were strictly an Asis sho up until Z87 / Z97 ... but those series Asus boards were very problematic for us. I have a Asus Formula with the built in water block, but I wouldn't buy one again. Then theee's the RoG tax which adds 15-20 % and all i got for it was a decal, a doorknob hanger and a large telephone bill for support calls. In addition your current AIO won't hook up to the MoBo VBlock

So let's compare the differences between the Formula and the

Memory and M2: Look here

VRM - MSI has 12 phases, Asus has 16 ... I'd not be concerned about the difference, again unless you chasing an overclocking crown

Otherwise didn't see anything to get excited about.

4. Cooling ....Based Upon TPU AIDA 64 testing, ....

The Corsair 150 i Pro keeps the CPU at 80C for $170
The Noctua keeps the CPU at 81C for $100
The Scyth Fuma 2 keeps the CPU at 80C for $54

If you do spring for the $500 MoBo, Id grab a Swiftech expandable H360 X3 whereby you could use the MoBo water block. No galvanic corrosion issues and only $165 plus a few inchs of tubing and 2 fittings.

5. As for the PSU, if you can return it because you are uncertain my "Go to" is the Seasonic Gold + series

The 10700 can pull 393 watts ... scary ? Everything else is within 10%

10900k ($530) = 395
10700k ($410) =
10700 ($334) = 393
10600k ($300) = 383
3900X ($417) = 385
3700X ($275) =365

Your card pulls 245 ... so I would stick w/ the 850 watter. The think is all over the place I'm seeing PSU prices double what they were 2 days ago ... its a $150 PSU.

6. Case --- it's not that i can say anything negative about the Lian Li. But with the Phantels Evolve X in the picture, It's hard for me to consider anything else of late, The case has won more awards than any other in our 30 years of PC Building, with many reviewers saying it belongs in an art museum. But with the pandemic clowing down deliveries, almost everywhere I look, its twice the price it was days ago. Air flow is superb as tested, looks, fantastic, cabling features.... everyone else is playing catch up.

7. As for RAM, id take the opportunity to try what you have.

Only other advice id give is to take every things with a grain of salt ... mine included .. always verify. If ya told that this is faster than that ... look at the reviews here and verify. To me, it ain't real until I see it on TPU. The dilly willies on youtube are good for laughs and not much else. Jayzs2cents outta be arrested for price gouging. Anyone who drills thru a MoBo, to mount a cooler ruining a $400 should lose their youtube license.

I would also recognize thet we are looking at the 1st stepping MoBos and CPUs ... 2nd steppings will hev less bugs and production line efficiencies over time will lead to a higher % of boards / CPUs passing GHz targets.

My youngest (24) just did his 5th build, a 3800X box, because he "read on the internet" that more cores and smaller die size was important. That may be so if you doing brain neuron simulation, but not in anything he actualy does on his PC ... he now says he's glad he tried it but he'd do a 900KF if he could do it again... it's simply faster than the 3800X and even the 3900X in what he does.

In closing, in your areas of interest, .....

a) If cost is a consideration, I like the 10700 but I couldn't argue against any of the listed Intel CPUs ... at least till AMD comes back late in a few months and perhaps Rocket lake falling by the end of 2020 year and then

b) I wouldn't put a $300 CPU in a $500 MoBo no matter how good it liiks... personally I like the MSI better as it is more understated. But if you do "go there", Id get a OLCand replace the CLC. It beats the Noc by 2C and the Corsair by 1C ... no mixed metals AND you can connect the on board MoBo VRM Block. You culd even add another rad and water block for the GFX card as the Swiftech Piump pushes 10 times more water than the typical Corsair.

c) Id test what ya got for the RAM and PSU and only move on if you have problems

d) case is an aesthetic thing personal to every individual, but I wouldn't pull the trigger w/o looking at the Evolv X

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I have both the Phanteks Evolv X and the 011 dynamic XL and the 011 is better hands down when it comes to thermals even with the Shit QL fans I am using on it vs Noctua/ML fans on the Phanteks case.
2080 ti strix OC at stock used to to compare. I can't compare cpu temps because I am not going to do a full rebuild in each case with my 3900X and 9900k lmao.

Both cases are great though and aesthetics just come down to personal preference.

Msi makes a $299 mobo Unify that is night and day better than the $270 Pro Carbon that would be a much better comparison to the Formula.

Also as much as I love TPU reviews their cpu gaming test are GPU benchmarks with a 2080 ti not actual cpu benchmarks. They also don't show 1% lows which i personally care about a lot more than average framerates thankfully this is being implemented for future reviews at some point.

To be fair anything R5 3600 or above will have good 1% lows so it's irrelevant to the OP as he's considering 2 cpu that are even faster.

Last edited:
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
1. CPU: 10700K
2. Main: Gigabyte Z490 Ultra (more expensive boards make zero difference for overclocking on air/water)
3. Ram: Keep the G.SKill Royal kit
4. Cooler: Kraken Z73, looks splendid with 011D case
5. SSD: return your 970 EVO and get a WD Black SN750 1tb nvme
6. PSU: Corsair HX850

OC questions
1. Ram OC: Gigabyte default values for RAM are pretty good, you only need to enable the XMP and manually set the DRAM Voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA and start increasing RAM clocks (check out TPU RAM reviews)
2. CPU OC: Set the CPU Vcore to 1.35V and overclock the 10700K to 5.2 - 5.3Ghz and the CPU Cache to 4.8Ghz, eezy peezy

@all
For a large reply with quotes, I gotta wait until evening, all day booked with trainings.

Just for the ones telling to wait, I want to make clear again where I'm coming from and where I want to go to.
  • I do build my own computers since 20 years. Back when I started it and didn't have kids lol I built one every 2 years approximately. Now priorities have shifted and the last computer I built is roughly 5 years old, an i7-4790K 4.00 GHz with a GTX 970 (I think I replaced the GPU once during this time)
  • The reason why I build one NOW is because my current rig is too slow for video editing and the software even crashes from time to time. Additionally, I would like to get into more gaming again on the computer. Was PS4 focussed the last years. The last years I only played SC2 and D3 on the computer, but with the new one I want to be happy for at least 3 years again, playing modern games. My demand for video editing is also not that high, it is just another hobby of mine. That said I think it's clear that I don't want to wait another half a year or year.
  • The only reason why I even mentioned Rocket lake is because I've read it will likely be a big change to the current generation. If I will really make the switch and even NEED it for my demands, I cannot tell yet. Time will tell me whether I really will find time to play as much as I want to and have time for my video editing hobby :)
  • So far, for every PC I've built, I built that thing and only changed the GPU when I felt the need about a year or a bit more later. After that, I always built a new one and didn't bother replacing anything else.
  • Before I started the Ryzen build, I didn't even know that RGB is a thing now and that it can be integrated in Games (Razer/Corsair). That's why I first just bought the Corsair 570X case and thought the RGB is pretty sweet. After I saw the integration in games and when my 5 year old son saw the pretty colors, I immediately got hooked on RGB and I knew that's also one important factor to consider when builting my rig.
  • I did consider OEM but Computers have always been my hobby and I like to tinker and also enjoy problem solving to a certain extent (like 16 pages thread haha). I won't go OEM this time for sure, I anyway got already parts to use now, the ones I won't send back.

So that's enough for the summary above to get everyone up to speed what my expectations are.

Regarding the "money" situation. I do know that the decisions in my old thread to go with insane expensive Royals ram and the Godlike were stupid. Nobody in this thread suggested me to get those parts, it was my decision, BUT I only did it because I knew I can send them back without money lost. To be honest, if everything would have worked out, I would have kept these expensive parts, but spending 1000$ without a slightest bit of gain was in fact just stupid and that's why I pulled the plug and decided to send everything back.

and just to mention that, getting flamed by Elysium is ok for me, after all he is right that I made stupid decisions in terms of the high priced gear that gave no benefit. But yet again, I did so with a backup plan and yeah it is my money and I decide how I want to spend it. What is for sure though is that Elysium should be banned from these forums for mentioning nazism... that's just a NO GO!!!

so as I said, I will read all your suggestions in the evening and might come back with some more questions regarding it.

thanks to all

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I've been reading the last topic you had, I read @Elysium 's take on that affair, and I also see your own style of posting.

I think you're too obsessed with the idea of having to build a rig now, and ready to head into the next 16 page affair. And I think Elysium has that part of the conclusion exactly right. All the rest, perhaps not quite as hard as he would state it.

But the fact remains, you're being overly nitpicky for an MSDT rig here. Yes, even if you buy top of the bill. The one line that stuck with me was this one;

"But yes I want it all, a quite System, a RGB System as well as a good Performing System :cool:. "

You're setting a high bar for yourself and I don't see that one has changed. When expectations are unrealistic, you will never be satisfied. Specify for yourself clearly the use case, and the setup that benefits that use case in the biggest way. Then consider what trade offs you need to get there. Thát is how you get the perfect rig for your own taste. It is also the best approach to set yourself up for success. After all you have already thought about the possible issues that might pop up - the trade offs.

Desperately trying to tick all the boxes you see and read around you is a certain road to insanity. Yes, your temp might be a few C below the reviewer's or Youtuber's example. Yes, your CPU might be a total dud and just keep in spec, yes, RGB fans in general just suck monkey balls :)

Another writing on the wall, is that you're still looking at the very same set of options but already willing to start over. Why would the same road not suffice? Why would the Intel one be different? Because Intel? Its not like they're frosty parts lately...

Whatever you choose to do... happy to help because you definitely are genuine in wanting to build something and troubleshoot it :toast:

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
I've been reading the last topic you had, I read @Elysium 's take on that affair, and I also see your own style of posting.

I think you're too obsessed with the idea of having to build a rig now, and ready to head into the next 16 page affair. And I think Elysium has that part of the conclusion exactly right. All the rest, perhaps not quite as hard as he would state it.

But the fact remains, you're being overly nitpicky for an MSDT rig here. Yes, even if you buy top of the bill. The one line that stuck with me was this one;

"But yes I want it all, a quite System, a RGB System as well as a good Performing System :cool:. "

You're setting a high bar for yourself and I don't see that one has changed. When expectations are unrealistic, you will never be satisfied. Specify for yourself clearly the use case, and the setup that benefits that use case in the biggest way. Then consider what trade offs you need to get there. Thát is how you get the perfect rig for your own taste.

Desperately trying to tick all the boxes you see and read around you is a certain road to insanity.
how is that unrealistic ?

10700f (doesn't even need K)
liquid freezer 2 280mm
a decent case like 460x if he wants fancy

and you're not even spending that much for checking all the boxes

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
how is that unrealistic ?

10700f (doesn't even need K)
liquid freezer 2 280mm
a decent case like 460x

and you're not even spending that much for checking all the boxes

RGB :roll:

EDIT:
The point was, you need to think about what boxes matter most to you. 'Want it all' is a good way to get a little bit of everything right and keep jumping on the latest greatest with no real direction. I agree, you can have a combination of qualities that 'ticks almost everything'... but even something like a case and CPU cooler choice is a pretty influential part of a build. It has more impact than just being a fancy light and box of metal with parts in it. It has airflow qualities, a form factor, etc etc etc.

So, clearly define what you'd like BEST. Then build around that. What I saw last topic was a slow-crawl to a spec list you see when 'average rich kid gets 5K to build PC' pops up on this forum. There is no direction to it.

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
460x is rgb

System Name The Tesseract Cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI X570A-PRO
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Memory 2 x 16gb Kingston HyperX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Nitro + 16GB
Storage Corsair MP400 G3 1TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) MSI MAG241C Full HD, 144hz FreeSync
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) MB Integrated, Sound Blaster Play 3 (Headset)
Power Supply Corsair CX650M Modular 80+ Bronze
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro Wirless RGB
Keyboard MSI GK30 Mecha-Membrane
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
"But yes I want it all, a quite System, a RGB System as well as a good Performing System :cool:.

Wht would he not be able to achieve all these criterias? It will take a bit of time to do it but eventualy the OP will if he does more reading and research on the hardware he will be buying.

My very own budget system (check my specs) has these 3 requirements ticked. I wanted the same stuff, and i made it work, so if i made it, he can too.

Status
Not open for further replies.