• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

my pc keeps restarting while im playing fortnite

trxvizion

So, Im new to this pc but I still know all my specs so bare with me. I started as a slow reoccurring theme, while I would be playing my pc would randomly reboot no blues screen nothing just restarting. I have done tons of research and some said could be faulty psu faulty mother board but as you can see that isn't the case. I also tried messing around with my bios but nothing seems to have worked hope someone can help. Specs: corsair rm 850x psu
Geforce gtx 780 gpu
rampage IV black edition mother board
core i7 cpu corsair
i have 60.2 gb of ram left

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Can you try another power supply unit? Corsair RM series are infamous for this kind of behavior.

Uninstall all display drivers and then perform a cleanup with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from safe mode.

Take the PC outside, open the case, and remove all the dust with air blower or hair dryer with a cold setting.

Remove the graphics card and blow some air in the x16 PCI express slot.

Carefully remove the heatsink from the graphics card and clean the fans with a toothbrush.

Clean the graphic cards with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Especially the GPU area and PCIe pins.

When you're done, reapply thermal paste on the GPU, remount the heatsink, plug it back in.

Download and install the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.

I think more information is needed in order to properly diagnose the issue.

Does this problem manifests ONLY when playing Fortnite or does this happen with other games as well? If yes, what other games do you play and is this easily reproducible or sporadic? (This is to rule out game-specific bugs)

Can you run some sort of monitoring software when you play games and occasionally have a look at the temperatures (VRM Mosfets, CPU temperature, GPU temperature), perhaps have it output to a log if possible. (This is to rule out heat-related instability with either CPU/GPU or motherboard voltage regulation circuitry)

You said you have 60GB of RAM left (amount of free RAM is not really relevant for troubleshooting, but there are some more variables we can isolate). This indicates that you're probably running 64GB Ram. Your motherboard is on the X79 chipset (IvyBridge-E) so you're on DDR3 right? Do you know what speeds your memory are running at, and if possible, could you try running them at JEDEC settings instead of XMP? (also if you're running 4 sticks of RAM, try temporarily running your system with just 1 or 2 sticks and try and see if you're still having problems (this is to rule out DDR or timing-related issues).

The Corsair RMx series have a fan-stop mode. If possible, could you try running the PSU outside of the case exposed to room air (and perhaps try running it with a 120mm fan sat on the fan griil (this is to rule out potential faulty fan or fan curve on the PSU)

trxvizion

Ok new problem now it is no longer restarting but it seems to be abnormaly laggy and I cant seem to figure out why any suggestions?

I'm afraid that's a little bit too vague for any sort of reasonable troubleshooting. What exactly do you mean when you say 'laggy'. Is it input lag (which may indicate issue with monitor/refreshrate settings) or network lag (which is tied to your internet connection and nothing to do with your PC) or is it low frame rate (which may be CPU/GPU thermal related). First step of good troubleshooting ALWAYS involves details. Is the issue reliably reproduced or is it sporadic? What are the temperatures of the components in your PC (refer to my previous post for suggestions on HW monitoring/reporting). What is the CPU/GPU utilisation and/or clock speeds when these 'laggy' issues manifests? Are you running out of RAM and swapping to disk?

You need to give DETAILS, the better other people can try to help you. To say that 'a game is laggy please help' is a bit like saying 'my car won't start please help', there's not a lot of useful diagnostics that could be done with the level of details given.

I'd start by going back to the suggestions already outlined in the posts above and trying those steps first.

System Name MSI GT77HX
Processor Intel i9-13980HX
Memory 64 GB DDR5 @ 4800 mhz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 4090 Mobile
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
Display(s) 4K/144 Hz Mini-LED
Benchmark Scores 23,616 Timespy Graphics
Can you try another power supply unit? Corsair RM series are infamous for this kind of behavior.

Uninstall all display drivers and then perform a cleanup with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from safe mode.

Take the PC outside, open the case, and remove all the dust with air blower or hair dryer with a cold setting.

Remove the graphics card and blow some air in the x16 PCI express slot.

Carefully remove the heatsink from the graphics card and clean the fans with a toothbrush.

Clean the graphic cards with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Especially the GPU area and PCIe pins.

When you're done, reapply thermal paste on the GPU, remount the heatsink, plug it back in.

Download and install the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.

Is this bad advice? Not really. But I wouldn't give most of this advice to someone that conflates RAM with storage. If he doesn't know that he doesn't have 60+ GB of RAM "left", the chances of him successfully removing a heatsink, gpu, and cpu are probably pretty slim.

Not trying to be an ass, but advice really needs to be tailored to the audience.

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Strictly replying to the OP

@trxvizion entertain me; try without side panel on. See what happens and report back.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Is this bad advice? Not really. But I wouldn't give most of this advice to someone that conflates RAM with storage. If he doesn't know that he doesn't have 60+ GB of RAM "left", the chances of him successfully removing a heatsing, gpu, and cpu are probably pretty slim.

Not trying to be an ass, but advice really needs to be tailored to the audience.
The problem is that the OP is giving out general questions.
Its like he his saying that is girlfriend has big boobs but doesnt give a reason why she has big boobs. Maybe she bought them at the surgeon's store.

Last edited:
System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
Generic details and questions, generic answers.
Clean your case, make sure the fans are all spinning and that your hardware after careful monitoring isnt overheating.
Make a fresh win install without any of the likely existing bloatware. Grab the latest drivers and test again without anything that messes with things like discord and its overlays.
3, actually test with more than one piece of software (other than pvpnite) to find if there's a real patern